Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

dog nougat posted:

Omg y'all. Shut the gently caress up about bread slicers. This is the dumbest, most boring goddamn derail.

Here's a nice institutional video about steel production in the 40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8Y5ys_Kq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmIvDpHiTY

go to 8:40 for a special treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I love old videos of factory workers just wearing whatever normal attire.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
:eyepop: them cheeks

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Wasn't there a story about a safety inspector getting on a lab's case for not properly dealing with potential vacuum pockets?

e: I saved it:

Anyone who calls the workplace safety representative a "safety nazi" is generally someone I wouldn't trust to be telling me the objective truth about this story, in fact I would strongly suspect they made this poo poo up as a "bendy bananas"-esque hardcore dunk on OSHA and how stupid workplace safety is. :v:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qo920vXPuQ1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qo91hpax2v1r0uzl6.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That little whomp at the end is perfect.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Hahahaha I can almost hear the rescuer yelling what the gently caress was he thinking at the end there.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

Anyone who calls the workplace safety representative a "safety nazi" is generally someone I wouldn't trust to be telling me the objective truth about this story, in fact I would strongly suspect they made this poo poo up as a "bendy bananas"-esque hardcore dunk on OSHA and how stupid workplace safety is. :v:

Yeah, my read of that story is that the author had done a bunch of unsafe poo poo in the past, got caught, and instead of owning up to it, tried to blow it off as not a real problem. So the "safety nazi" was not going to give them even the barest hint of the benefit of the doubt when they said something was safe and was using every tool in their kit to make them dot every i and cross every t. If it even happened.

Whole thing just reeks of "I'm smarter than you so I'm always right" arrogance from someone who, if left to their own devices, would likely get people killed and then not even have the common decency to feel bad about it afterwards.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Azathoth posted:

Whole thing just reeks of "I'm smarter than you so I'm always right" arrogance from someone who, if left to their own devices, would likely get people killed and then not even have the common decency to feel bad about it afterwards.

You can just call them engineers. gently caress the wokescolds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, my read of that story is that the author had done a bunch of unsafe poo poo in the past, got caught, and instead of owning up to it, tried to blow it off as not a real problem.

Original author of the piece is this guy:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-schilling-91333010/

So your read is probably a bit off.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean, every single OSHA regulation is written in blood. Every. Single. One. Calling them safety-nazis does very much color the type of person you are, regardless if you're smart or not.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I think you need to understand that Usenet culture in 2004 was a bit different, particularly on rec.arts.sf.written.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shoe came off, he died before the train even came.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

OSHA Wa Mou Shindeiru

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA IV: OSHA Wa Mou Shindeiru

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Monkey Fracas posted:

OSHA Wa Mou Shindeiru

:pusheen:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA IV: OSHA Wa Mou Shindeiru

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

ultrafilter posted:

:chanpop:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ultrafilter posted:

NANI?!?!?!?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Monkey Fracas posted:

OSHA Wa Mou Shindeiru

:vince:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Alien Arcana posted:

In case anyone was worried, the cat made it down safely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ

I heard the cat is up in the sky until this very day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nenonen posted:

That's the middle east. They're all dead and don't know it yet.

Alternatively, saudi man crosses train tracks like "Yeah oh poo poo my shoe" while Iraqi man has already thrown his shoes at the white people running their oil industry.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

DelphiAegis posted:

I mean, every single OSHA regulation is written in blood. Every. Single. One. Calling them safety-nazis does very much color the type of person you are, regardless if you're smart or not.

Sure there's no such thing as "pockets of vacuum" but reading that story it seems like you'd want to make sure that when you allowed air back into your vacuum vessel, to make sure you got good, breathable air in there. When you open the valve to let air in, where are the intakes? Are they next to a diesel generator? Down from somewhere in a subfloor? Just cause the gauge reads 1 atmosphere doesn't necessarily mean you should just walk in.

Of course, if the intakes are there in the room and you're putting in known-good air, then you should be good. Still nothing wrong with sticking in a gas meter before anyone enters the space.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's the middle east. They're all dead and don't know it yet.

idgi

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
The way I see it, a vacuum vessel could easily be considered a confined space and confined space entry is serious business and you don't take anything for granted. They may not meet the legal criteria but caution is definitely warranted.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/soapachu/status/1359271922312306691

In defiance of all expectation, he makes it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Wars, global warming, american fast food and heart disease (Kuwait as gently caress), pick your poison.

I mean, he could have been on his way to a wedding for all we know.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/soapachu/status/1359271922312306691

In defiance of all expectation, he makes it.

The thumbnail did not prepare me for the reverse travel. Holy poo poo

_____!
May 2, 2004

weg posted:

To keep with the page theme, the last office I worked in had some interesting guests before we bought it and renovated.

Duh the meth head Satanists are just clearly marking where the USB ports need to be installed. They were simply trying to remember the logo from memory.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just noticed the pentagram is upside down. Those are no satanists.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

armchairyoda posted:

How the actual hell does an employee dump 6 tons of tuna and then start cooking it... THINKING HE IS IN A BATHROOM... while another dude is in said tuna oven?!? :cripes:

From last page, but I think you parsed this wrong. I think there was a pair of guys, and the first guy didn’t see the second guy, thought “oh, he’s in the bathroom”, and dumped the tuna. The second guy was not in fact in the bathroom, but inside the cooker, presumably cleaning or inspecting it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I just noticed the pentagram is upside down. Those are no satanists.

What's the opposite of satanists? Must be one of those.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
To follow up on my previous post:

I think perhaps they might have been doing some sample shaving, perhaps excluded my data for some non obvious reason.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

What's the opposite of satanists? Must be one of those.

When I moved out of a house in Memphis, I took my LaVey books I bought as a teenager, and a paperback of the necronomicon because I never bought LaVeys' satanic witch book, into the attic and threw one in each corner. Just waiting for the day I see some possession stories at my old house on the travel channel.

LaVey's books are pretty interesting until they get to his rambling horseshit of chants and ceremonies and ritualistic poo poo (skip satanic rituals, last half of satanic bible). He's more interesting as a social provocateur than some bullshit religious figure.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
LaVey is a hack, the Satanic Temple is where the real party's at.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Like I said, bought them when I was a teenager. I moved onto a thick rear end book called Atheism: the case against god by someone Smith. Then I stopped giving a poo poo. Being raised catholic is like an OSHA hazard for the brain.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

20,000 watt bulb:

https://i.imgur.com/9xuC8T1.mp4

Neighbors hate this one simple trick.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I kept waiting for it to stop getting brighter and it just... didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gonna need one of those in the 4000k~ range and two around 2800k, then 5000 sq ft open space to grow weed in.