Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It's sort of sad that Trump won't be convicted because the Democratic Managers are knocking out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

eke out posted:

it was very funny that Raskin prebutted their talking points and they didn't alter them in any way whatsoever to accommodate that he'd debunked them already

And it swayed 1 senator.

The republican party is complicit with the coup.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1359568331506782210?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SalTheBard posted:

It's sort of sad that Trump won't be convicted because the Democratic Managers are knocking out of the park.

yeah pretty much. i think we will get a couple more but not enough.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murgos posted:

And it swayed 1 senator.

The republican party is complicit with the coup.

I keep wondering - why would you WANT to have a constituency that you're afraid of? (I know, I know, money and power) But it seems to me that if you're voting a certain way because of you're afraid of what will happen if you don't, you're not representing voters, you're representing a mob.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

"There's a system in place to address this, we must make those responsible pay! Oh, Trump? It's too late because he's already out of office"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kalit posted:

"There's a system in place to address this, we must make those responsible pay! Oh, Trump? It's too late because he's already out of office"

The responsibility rests with Nancy Pelosi for allowing this to happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fighting Trousers posted:

I keep wondering - why would you WANT to have a constituency that you're afraid of? (I know, I know, money and power) But it seems to me that if you're voting a certain way because of you're afraid of what will happen if you don't, you're not representing voters, you're representing a mob.

I mean, ideally that is the proper way that people with government power should feel about those they presume to govern, just a shame it's only one side that might feel that way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

because this horror has been in the making since the 80s at latest. the braindrain and indoctranation/infection is way too deep. its like this, but if the GOP did the right thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsl_TNEeGxg

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The responsibility rests with Nancy Pelosi for allowing this to happen.

"If Nasty Nancy had just made Trump president again we wouldn't have had to have a coup, now would we? Check and mate, liberals!"

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

actually, trump is extremely good at using plain language and writing at a low reading level - its one of the reason his tweets resonate so well with people. the average reading level of american is like 8th grade.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, ideally that is the proper way that people with government power should feel about those they presume to govern, just a shame it's only one side that might feel that way.

the fear should be "we're going to vote you out" not "kill you"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

OwlFancier posted:

Well, call me insufficiently radical, because I guess my hot take is that elected officials should be in constant fear of getting bounced from office on their asses, not being executed in the middle of a riot.

eta:

Aruan posted:

the fear should be "we're going to vote you out" not "kill you"

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

hot take: reign of terror style government... good?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Echophonic posted:

We can only hope. Maybe they'll show Lindell's documentary.

I want to see that drunk blonde woman a third time just to see if she is in fact always drunk like she was at that hearing and in the documentary.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
So Schoen and Castor have to stand up there for two days presenting their defense case?

That sure will be... something.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Aruan posted:

actually, trump is extremely good at using plain language and writing at a low reading level - its one of the reason his tweets resonate so well with people. the average reading level of american is like 8th grade.

there's no way it's that advanced

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Aruan posted:

You're being incredibly insulting to 8th Graders. By 7th grade, people on grade level should be able to read Of Mice and Men, Fahrenheit 451, The Outsiders, and the New York Times with relative ease. Americans reading at an 8th Grade level isn't the big slam on our society that you think it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, call me insufficiently radical, because I guess my hot take is that elected officials should be in constant fear of getting bounced from office on their asses, not being executed in the middle of a riot.

Governments have the power to kill hundreds of thousands with a mere thought, by mere inaction, as the last year has demonstrated. It seems more odd, to me, to say that people who do that shouldn't really have to be afraid of anything more than not getting their contract renewed, maybe, next election, if the party doesn't decide that they should get it anyway because they're all good friends.

Like at the very, very least you would hope they could be dragged out immediately and not have the benefit of things like pensions and favorable future career options based on their ability to kill people on an industrial scale. Whatever the specifics, the fear is appropriate, the fear appears to be the only way to motivate them to do what their voters want.

I don't really see how you look at this entire thing and see the process as anything other than a tool to protect politicians from facing any consequences for their actions rather than a tool to hold them to account?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 10, 2021

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Aruan posted:

But it isn't reading level that makes "you're very special" so wild. You know? There is a difference between grade school reading level and grade school psychology. 'Stop the steal' is grade school reading level, but is something adults would say to each other. "You're very special" is such a wild thing for one adult to say to a group of adults haha. That is the part that makes it wild. Not the plainness of the language.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Starting this phase with a PA rep and speaking about the PA cases that were rejected... this feels like a middle finger to Hawley.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The problem with politicians generally fearing their constituents is that it empowers those constituents most willing to engage in violent reprisal to the detriment of actions taken in line with popular sentiment - basically, it undermines the whole point of the democratic system. You also get the problem of them potentially having to make decisions where any path they follow will have different people wanting to punish them for it. Not sure if you've noticed, but the right wing's murder lust is a lot more motivating than that of the left wing!

It's the same reason we don't have consequences for juries making bad decisions. Does it lead to abuse? Absolutely. But any alternative leads to more abuse and empowers the absolute last people we want to empower. There are very very good reasons we do not want serious consequences for the people we elect to make decisions actually making those decisions (so long as they follow the rules we set in place for making those decisions).

You're sort of channeling some Armstrong-esque attitudes here.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 10, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Starting this phase with a PA rep and speaking about the PA cases that were rejected... this feels like a middle finger to Hawley.

Is that the approach they are taking? Just item by item refuting Trumps election fraud claims?

Seems like a waste of time but I guess it's good if some conservatives who usually only watch CHUD approved sanitized versions get to see it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I like that she is hammering the fact that Trump attacked Republicans for not doing illegal poo poo for him. I know the Republican senators don't care but I like that they are hearing Trump basically throwing them all under the bus. Really brings out what a bunch of spineless shitheads they all are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

The problem with politicians generally fearing their constituents is that it empowers those constituents most willing to engage in violent reprisal to the detriment of actions taken in line with popular sentiment - basically, it undermines the whole point of the democratic system. You also get the problem of them potentially having to make decisions where any path they follow will have different people wanting to punish them for it. Not sure if you've noticed, but the right wing's murder lust is a lot more motivating than that of the left wing!

It's the same reason we don't have consequences for juries making bad decisions. Does it lead to abuse? Absolutely. But any alternative leads to more abuse and empowers the absolute last people we want to empower. There are very very good reasons we do not want serious consequences for the people we elect to make decisions actually making those decisions (so long as they follow the rules we set in place for making those decisions).

Conversely I am not really sure that the rules are doing a very good job protecting anybody except the people currently using them to say that actually we shouldn't hold anybody to any sort of account for the past four years.

Rules aren't magic, anything people do and get away with is "within the rules" because the rules only exist as far as they are enforced, which I think illustrates the much better and more accurate conception of how politics works which is that it isn't about rules, it's about raw power and exercising it. That's how the government treats it, and that's how everyone else should treat it too, because otherwise they're just going to treat it that way and you're going to be left sat there going "how could they possibly do this, this is outrageous, it is against the rules, somebody should do something, I can't believe they're complicit in this"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 10, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alpha_destroy posted:

But it isn't reading level that makes "you're very special" so wild. You know? There is a difference between grade school reading level and grade school psychology. 'Stop the steal' is grade school reading level, but is something adults would say to each other. "You're very special" is such a wild thing for one adult to say to a group of adults haha. That is the part that makes it wild. Not the plainness of the language.

Its infantilizing, yes. Trump sees his followers as children.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Madkal posted:

I like that she is hammering the fact that Trump attacked Republicans for not doing illegal poo poo for him. I know the Republican senators don't care but I like that they are hearing Trump basically throwing them all under the bus. Really brings out what a bunch of spineless shitheads they all are.

Seems like it's a reminder that a lot of them denied that they knew what Trump was saying about them on Twitter, too.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Conversely I am not really sure that the rules are doing a very good job protecting anybody except the people currently using them to say that actually we shouldn't hold anybody to any sort of account for the past four years.

Rules aren't magic, anything people do and get away with is "within the rules" because the rules only exist as far as they are enforced, which I think illustrates the much better and more accurate conception of how politics works which is that it isn't about rules, it's about raw power and exercising it. That's how the government treats it, and that's how everyone else should treat it too, because otherwise they're just going to treat it that way and you're going to be left sat there going "how could they possibly do this, this is outrageous, it is against the rules, somebody should do something, I can't believe they're complicit in this"

what are you even proposing, though, that the mechanism to hold elected officials accountable is to see what constituency is most willing to murder them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aruan posted:

what are you even proposing, though, that the mechanism to hold elected officials accountable is to see what constituency is most willing to murder them?

I am suggesting that, pretty evidently I think, this is the most effective way to secure your political goals, because this mixture of fear and shared goals combined with an absolute disregard for the rules other than insofar as they can be weaponized to achieve their goals, is why the republicans (and right wingers of all stripes) get their way in government. Both their representatives and their base understand that it is purely about power, about getting what you want by any means available.

What you do with that understanding is up to you, but it doesn't come into being because I propose it, I am describing a thing I think is plainly in front of us. Rules based governance does not function in the face of plain, blunt desire to wield political power. And this is not the system somehow "not working" or whatever, this is a result of understanding exactly how it works and how to use it. It's like... perfecting tic-tac-toe, once you know exactly how it works you can play to stalemate every game and the game stops working as a game. Turns out when you really understand how the government works you can do the same thing, so the question becomes what do you do in the face of a failure of the rules to do what you thought they would ensure?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Don't fall back to "oh I'm just describing what I see".

You said they SHOULD be afraid, that it was appropriate, that it is in fact ideal, and the shame is that Democrats aren't afraid even though we are literally in a thread about a recent attempt to threaten them into compliance.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Goddamn she is killing this.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
It’s one of those dudes named William Pepe? That’s pretty on the nose

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What's happening right now, I had to go out

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Goddamn they used Red Kingdom :( That is a song made for the Chiefs :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't fall back to "oh I'm just describing what I see".

You said they SHOULD be afraid, that it was appropriate, that it is in fact ideal

I mean yes I think that people who hold everyone's lives in their hands should fear that, I would fear that even if I didn't think people would be judging me for the decisions I make.

I also don't really see a solution that doesn't involve some method of building a similar distributed capacity for coercion on the left. Doesn't have to be "we will murder you if you don't do this" though I would absolutely suggest that threat is like, implicit all the time? Like you can't be in charge of millions of people's welfare and not have the idea in the back of your head that you might end up dead if you gently caress them over enough? That's just how positions of power work? I want politicians to recognize the gravity and fragility of their position, and it would certainly be nice to imagine that they could be made to recognize that by just things like the threat of immediate deposition? I would certainly suggest that the culture of entitlement among politicians has plenty of avenues to attack it that aren't murder related?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

What's happening right now, I had to go out

Stacey Plaskett (rep from Virgin Islands) is talking about the time that Trump supporters tried to run Biden's bus off the road. She's talking about Proud Boys (Stand Back, Stand By). She's loving killing it.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

That video reminded me of those old ISIS caravan videos... guess I shouldn't be surprised by that at all

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish Democrats would realize that shaming members of Congress by name on Twitter should not be an act of intimidation worthy of impeachment, but how poo poo is going to get done going forward.

Moderate Dems are appalled by the idea mostly because they don't actually want to get any poo poo done.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamn they used Red Kingdom :( That is a song made for the Chiefs :(

That was my takeaway too hahaha. Betrayal to use Tech N9ne like that! Incidentally, more rappers need to name albums after their favorite food orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
"8 cun" lol

Edit: she's talking about the donald.win. This is great