Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

They've been doing exactly this. They literally said that very line, "If not for Trump, the attack would not have happened." A lot of it thus far has been building the case up to this point establishing Trump inciting and calling for violence up to the day.

And now, on 1/6, calling for them to march on the Capitol. That was not the planned rally, he incited them to do it.

This case is flawless, and it won't matter at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Xander B Coolridge posted:

This is all really good evidence that the attack on the capital actually happened.

Are they not going to insist that this happened only because of Trump?

I feel like if I were a (R)ep I could easily make the defense that Trump had nothing to do with these people

turn ur monitor on

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wow using the R's playbook of 9/11. Let's see how it plays out.

Good on her calling out that it was built by slaves.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

This is all really good evidence that the attack on the capital actually happened.

I feel like if I were a (R)ep I could easily make the defense that Trump had nothing to do with these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPKUNVlsrY

This alone has been featured prominently more than once today so far.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

turn ur monitor on

lol "why won[t they blame trump" is a pretty funny take though

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

They've made that connection multiple times. Trump planned, encouraged, and praised them start to finish.

For example, there was originally a rally planned for Jan. 22, which was changed to Jan. 6 at Trump's request.

I know, I just genuinely don't think it's being hammered enough

I'm really thinking of the Republican defense though.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The whole prosecution today is that:

1.) Donald Trump both set the scene and supported the attack, with the intent for it to occur.
2.) Trump was directly involved in instigating it on Jan 6.
3.) The attack was a violent insurgency.

They've already been doing 1 and 2, Plaskett is doing 3.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Their defense will be "nuh uh" regardless of what the Democrats present.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Wait have we seen that footage of Goodman getting Romney the gently caress out of there?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mikeraskol posted:

Wait have we seen that footage of Goodman getting Romney the gently caress out of there?

I believe that particular one bit is new?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

mikeraskol posted:

This is the first time I think and loving hell that guy is a hero.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo being by yourself like that. loving terrifying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
poo poo, someone just shouted "he is just one person"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
frankly the target for this isn't gop senators, it's gop donor's and particularly corporate/major donors that give a hint of a gently caress about respectability

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

definitely new

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

From the look of it, Goodman runs past him, grabs him by the shoulder and goes "this way!" and Romney starts running in the direction Goodman pointed him in, away from the mob which was at that point just one floor down from him. Dude saved Romney's life right then and there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

That explains the literally murderous look romney had for hawley when they reconvened

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

To make it 100% clear forever, any "defense" thrown up by the Republican party, from 2016 until the resignation of every single one of them currently in office, is completely divorced from any and all reality. They do not operate on any level of good faith, they do not reason, they care for nothing but their own power at any cost. There is no debate to be had with them, the only debate is with any voters who have not proven to be just as insane.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is the best hail Mary play that the House managers have: "Donald Trump tried to kill you." I don't believe it will work, but I won't begrudge them for trying.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Deteriorata posted:

And it will likely work.

frankly the target for this isn't gop senators, it's gop donor's and particularly corporate/major donors that give a hint of a gently caress about respectability

I doubt pressure from even major donors will be enough to make 16 GOP Senators vote to remove.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ugh I know it's for narrative purposes but I really hate lionizing Pence doing his job.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
At least not ALL cops are bastards. That one seems pretty good

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

This is the best hail Mary play that the House managers have: "Donald Trump tried to kill you." I don't believe it will work, but I won't begrudge them for trying.

And the response from like 49 of the GOP Senators is gonna be the "Guess I'll die then" meme.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

To make it 100% clear forever, any "defense" thrown up by the Republican party, from 2016 until the resignation of every single one of them currently in office, is completely divorced from any and all reality. They do not operate on any level of good faith, they do not reason, they care for nothing but their own power at any cost. There is no debate to be had with them, the only debate is with any voters who have not proven to be just as insane.

Yo, fair

I retract my previous question

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

His acquittal will be a Pyrrhic victory for the GOP. Only one man can change that and he's a sociopath so who knows what he'll do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just more and more evidence piling up that none of this was remotely spontaneous, but was highly organized.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I also have to imagine, after this, there will be a discussion of how many of the individuals charged cite following Trump's orders.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Does Plaskett have a nose piercing? That's loving awesome!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ArmyGroup303 posted:

And it will likely work.

I doubt pressure from even major donors will be enough to make 16 GOP Senators vote to remove.

Pressure from donors 100% would be enough, but yeah I agree that the chances of that level of pressure from donors manifesting is very low.

I think the calculus for mcconnell is probably something like 'could we get 16 safe seats/retiring members to vote yes and still keep 10-12 of those seats?' because the split forming in gop donors is already major enough that it's going to be a big problem down the road.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Maybe it'll be "There's enough GOP voters who still love Trump. If you vote to convict, you will lose your next re-election"?

E: This current impeachment manager seems to be doing a phenomenal job

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think the calculus for mcconnell is probably something like 'could we get 16 safe seats/retiring members to vote yes and still keep 10-12 of those seats?' because the split forming in gop donors is already major enough that it's going to be a big problem down the road.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. The party is in deep poo poo and not of the type that Mitch is used to shoveling to keep them looking presentable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kalit posted:

Maybe it'll be "There's enough GOP voters who still love Trump. If you vote to convict, you will lose your next re-election"?

That would be the offer, but here's the thing: I'm not sure it's true.

It might be in two years, if they let him keep destroying the party, but McConnell could decide that it's not too late to pull the plug.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Deteriorata posted:

Their defense is simply "We don't think this is constitutional even though this august body has determined that it is constitutional, therefore we will not consider the case on its merits and shall acquit"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Just more and more evidence piling up that none of this was remotely spontaneous, but was highly organized.

There were three types of people in this situation, in my view. You had Trump and Pals the worst syndicated afternoon cartoon of the 1990s who piled up kindling and started throwing matches. Then there were the terrorists who showed up planning for violence, organized online, pushed forward by rhetoric, but not actually directly connected. Finally there was the mob who were there to shout angrily and got pulled along. None of them are blameless and there was no coherent planning from the top, but there was a lot of setting things up and hoping that the dominoes fell for them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Random Stranger posted:

There were three types of people in this situation, in my view. You had Trump and Pals the worst syndicated afternoon cartoon of the 1990s who piled up kindling and started throwing matches. Then there were the terrorists who showed up planning for violence, organized online, pushed forward by rhetoric, but not actually directly connected. Finally there was the mob who were there to shout angrily and got pulled along. None of them are blameless and there was no coherent planning from the top, but there was a lot of setting things up and hoping that the dominoes fell for them.

I reject the "not directly connected" argument. Its stochastic terrorism. The president is responsible for his language and murder was a highly predictable outcome from his actions.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
LOL Fox just cut out for The Five.

“None of this matters, Democrats don’t have the votes.” No poo poo.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
It's kind of wild to me that the defense is even trying to maintain the pretense of respectability here. Trump's defense lead could literally walk up to the mic and say, "This is a waste of everyone's time. It's obvious my client incited the mob which, at best, attempted to disrupt the process of democracy and, at worst, intended to kill members of this very legislative body. That doesn't matter. You don't have enough votes to convict. The defense rests," and the GOP would still vote to acquit. Who is this show for? No one watching or who cares about the outcome is undecided as to the verdict.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

They just showed the lady getting shot in head. Jesus I had never seen that footage before.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Random Stranger posted:

They talked about this in the Capitol earlier today, giving numerous examples of consistent messaging from Trump amidst otherwise chaotic behavior that demonstrates, they argue, a clear intent to foment a mob and precipitate this exact situation. Trump literally specified the time and place for them to show up, and who to blame. Like, he didn't point at the crowd and say "you break in the window, and you taze your balls" but they're making a strong argument that this rises to the level of deliberately instigating what happened on the sixth. They played a zillion clips of people saying "Trump told us to come here and stop the steal." Because he did.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

It's kind of wild to me that the defense is even trying to maintain the pretense of respectability here. Trump's defense lead could literally walk up to the mic and say, "This is a waste of everyone's time. It's obvious my client incited the mob which, at best, attempted to disrupt the process of democracy and, at worst, intended to kill members of this very legislative body. That doesn't matter. You don't have enough votes to convict. The defense rests," and the GOP would still vote to acquit. Who is this show for? No one watching or who cares about the outcome is undecided as to the verdict.

As likely as this is, we don't actually know for certain, nor that even if he's acquitted it won't have an impact on the GOP. None of us can actually see the future.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Jiro posted:

They just showed the lady getting shot in head. Jesus I had never seen that footage before.

This is now the second time in two days that it's been aired as-is without being censored or frozen right after the shot was fired.

It makes me ill every time