Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Replace Jared Leto with Armie Hammer. It's not less problematic or anything but I think he would be more believable in the role. Maybe he'd be a better Croc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, i just meant it from like a "replace the established actor for the character" sense. My bad for not being more clear.

I don't know the timeline for when Leto's accusations made news and when Snyder filmed new scenes with him. And like I said at the start of this I have no idea how important Joker is to Snyder's story that if it came to it he couldn't just cut him out of the film. But it all does feel like the common theme of the Snyder Cut is that its the fulfillment of Snyder's original vision so it makes sense Leto is part of that, even if its a huge bummer.

I mean the issue here is "this is the fulfillment of Snyder's original vision so he had to cast an abusive sex pest" is 100% not something that would fly in any other situation. People correctly and rightly slammed other directors for doing that but with Snyder it gets a pass because he really wanted a scene with the Joker?

Even if the accusations about Leto hadn't been prominent he was open as hell about being abusive to his fellow cast members on Suicide Squad which alone should disqualify his rear end from every taking the role again.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
a real creative genius would just have the joker lean forward out of the dark to reveal he too is played by ben affleck

because they're not so different, you see,

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
One of my favorite current conspiracies is that Jared Leto is cia.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Joss Whedon is a loving piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/AllCharisma/status/1359537746843365381?s=19

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Has that douchebag even made anything since justice league? I remember he went dark for a while cause “everyone is making fun of me for age of ultron sucking rear end” then he did justice league then :shrug: granted I didn’t really follow him very much before or after that.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

He was working on an HBO tv show called The Nevers which he "left", but was really removed. This statement looks like the final nail for him. Good riddance.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Well Snyder should have recast Joker with Nick Cage then. Everyone would be happy.

I’d settle for Nick Nolte. His Joker laugh would peel the paint off the walls.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Karloff posted:

He was working on an HBO tv show called The Nevers which he "left", but was really removed. This statement looks like the final nail for him. Good riddance.

He is working on the Buffy reboot/sequel thing but who knows if that happens after this. Hopefully not.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The way he treated Charisma Carpenter bothered me when it happened during Angel's run and I'm glad she finally feels comfortable speaking about it. More power to her.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Another buffy alumni speaking out
https://twitter.com/amber_benson/status/1359555694098190337?s=19

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

gently caress Joss Whedon. He's a piece of poo poo. I hope he never works again.

Ugh. I've been reckoning with how much of his work I've consumed and supported while he was being an abusive prick since Fisher first spoke out. Is this how fans of Woody Allen or JK Rowling feel? I guess it's like, being able to separate the art from the artist, right? And there were a lot of voices that went into Buffy, Angel, and Firefly, three franchises I really loved. But in a lot of ways it's just tainted for me now. Bleh.

Why can't people just not be lovely?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Buffy and Angel and Firefly and Avengers and even Age of Ultron. I don't like Joss Whedon. Those facts aren't mutually exclusive at all. I hope Joss Whedon can find it within himself to stop being an abusive rear end in a top hat. Failing that, I hope that if he is an abusive rear end in a top hat in the future, people speak out about it and have the issue redressed to their satisfaction.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Charmed was better than Buffy anyway. Fight me nerds!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
JK Rowling and Joss Whedon being awful people can't really change my past I guess is how it lands with me. I will always be a kid that picked up Order of the Phoenix on the day it launched at my school library and got a lil commemorative cap. I will always be a teenager that saw Avengers 3 times in the theaters. Angel and Buffy are wonderful shows that have emotionally touched me in my early 20s. But the future is up to me. Will I support future Whedon projects? No. Will I support future Rowling projects? No. And I'm still not going to pretend to like Snyder's JL shite, but I hope Ray Fisher gets them for everything he can.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/courtenlow/status/1359586414493650944?s=19

Edit: Knives out.

https://twitter.com/lorebuffay/status/1359591584128458758?s=19

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 10, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Hasn't it been an open secret that Whedon doesn't behave professionally on sets towards others for ages? It should have been nipped in the bud ages ago, and shouldn't have taken a newcomer at the start of his career to bring attention to it. I'm guessing Disney had him on a tighter leash during the Avengers shoots, but he can't have everything ignored because he's the "Buffy and Firefly" guy. When you're the director, you have to show basic respect to others.

See, that's the kind of statement that Fisher should have put out at the start. Clear and straightforward, but I'm guessing he couldn't due to legal reasons. Hopefully these performers will get the closure they need, and studios get it that they shouldn't ignore bullying behaviour on sets.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 10, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He couldn’t due to legal reasons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OldMemes posted:

Hasn't it been an open secret that Whedon doesn't behave professionally on sets towards others for ages?

See, that's the kind of statement that Fisher should have put out at the start.
Man, even when people get corroboration Fisher still 'did it wrong'.

I implore anyone thinking that way to examine why they feel that is an appropriate take away in this situation.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Man, even when people get corroboration Fisher still 'did it wrong'.

I implore anyone thinking that way to examine why they feel that is an appropriate take away in this situation.

Fisher did the right thing going public, its just a shame he wasn't clearer at first. He left gaps and vagueness - I don't think anyone was doubting that Whedon was unprofessional on set, it was just unclear what he was accusing him at first. It became clearer over time, with further communication.

But, legal reasons, so his hands were a little tied about what he could and couldn't say, so rock and a hard place, sadly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You were literally complaining you didn't understand at all like 5 days ago lol

Just stop posting about ray you weirdo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OldMemes posted:

Fisher did the right thing going public, its just a shame he wasn't clearer at first. He left gaps and vagueness - I don't think anyone was doubting that Whedon was unprofessional on set, it was just unclear what he was accusing him at first. It became clearer over time, with further communication.

But, legal reasons, so his hands were a little tied about what he could and couldn't say, so rock and a hard place, sadly.

He said enough

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Yeah who gives a poo poo at this point, even if all he did was tweet Whedon sucks rear end and nothing else I’d agree, because Whedon in fact sucks rear end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

site posted:

Just stop posting about ray you weirdo
Yeah.

Like, Charisma Carpenter sat on this poo poo for 20 some years. She, iirc, veiled any questions about being written off or having her character go through a hosed up "had a Suzanne Sommers-esque presence in a season being away from the main cast, returned and seduced the son of a former love interest to give birth to a hell demon, end up in a coma and die offscreen" with 'well my pregnancy was a shock and they had to change the plan for 2 seasons". And she did this for years and years.

Fisher didn't wait when it was safe to do so.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Age of Ultron is not a good movie, and utterly wastes James Spader.

Studios need to stop protecting abusive people, making a popular TV show doesn't put you above treating employees with decency. Is Firefly even that good? People treating it like it was like The Wire or something constantly, when it looked like one of the many 2000s genre shows kinda put me off.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 10, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Firefly is pretty good but I think it's mostly because the cast is talented as gently caress and do all the heavy lifting. Which you could probably apply to all of Whedon's stuff.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ray didn't come out with details right of the bat to protect himself against legal liability, but also to protect the investigation. If he came out with specific details WB might have tracked down the involved parties and exerted pressure to sweep it all under the rug.

Codependent Poster posted:

Firefly is pretty good but I think it's mostly because the cast is talented as gently caress and do all the heavy lifting. Which you could probably apply to all of Whedon's stuff.

Reminder: Whedon pitched the idea that the courtesan carries a syringe with a substance that makes her vagina toxic, as a sort of self defense against rape, and then have her kidnapped by reapers, and when the gang would find her she'd be surrounded by dead bodies.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

quote:

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Personally don't think you should need any details beyond "He was abusive on set and these people enabled it"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A talking coyote posted:

Yeah who gives a poo poo at this point, even if all he did was tweet Whedon sucks rear end and nothing else I’d agree, because Whedon in fact sucks rear end.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

OldMemes posted:

See, that's the kind of statement that Fisher should have put out at the start. Clear and straightforward, but I'm guessing he couldn't due to legal reasons.

On god, we’re gonna’ get you the ability to read, comprehend and draw conclusions.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Reminder: Whedon pitched the idea that the courtesan carries a syringe with a substance that makes her vagina toxic, as a sort of self defense against rape, and then have her kidnapped by reapers, and when the gang would find her she'd be surrounded by dead bodies.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

Wait what the gently caress? THAT'S what that syringe was about? I thought it was supposed to be related to Inara having an illness and she was debating whether or not to take her injection or if she should allow herself to die before the Reavers got a hold of her.

You know, I really tried to have a different perspective on the Black Widow's whole sterilization thing, but I really can't justify it anymore given the mindset of his jerk. It was definitely "I'm a monster because I can't serve my purpose as a woman." and gently caress that dumb noise and I'm really sorry for thinking there might have been something else being said there. I was giving benefit of the doubt and that's my fault.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I remember on a behind the scenes featurette on Buffy S1, Charisma Carpenter mentioning that she was a little shocked at her character's introduction was mentioning getting the imprint of the hand brake on her back, like she was surprised she was written to be so loose. I think that's what she said.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jamesman posted:

Wait what the gently caress? THAT'S what that syringe was about? I thought it was supposed to be related to Inara having an illness and she was debating whether or not to take her injection or if she should allow herself to die before the Reavers got a hold of her.

Yeah... I liked Firefly but since things have gone on, the more I feel like maybe it only getting one season ended up being a good thing.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I had a lot of friends try to show me Firefly, but I could never really get past the first episode. The cast was phenomenal, but I kept feeling like it was "The Lost Cause: The Series" somehow. All the Western tropes alongside the civil war stuff just...oof.

Briscoe County, Jr was the scifi western we truly needed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Remember when Whedon was going to head up the Batgirl movie? Glad that never materialized

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Retro Futurist posted:

Remember when Whedon was going to head up the Batgirl movie? Glad that never materialized

One can imagine it would have been almost entirely from the POV of a shlubby 'funny' nerd that works as Babs' tech support.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember JOSS WHEDON'S WONDER WOMAN

JT Smiley posted:

I'll admit really liking Xander as teen, but rewatching Buffy at almost 40 showed me what an absolute piece of poo poo that character was.
Yeah just pretend he dies after The Zeppo lol.

He's really a perfect example of Nice Guy Why Am I Frendzoned, complete with banging Cordelia behind Willow's back.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 11, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll admit really liking Xander as teen, but rewatching Buffy at almost 40 showed me what an absolute piece of poo poo that character was. There's multiple instances where he straight up sexually harasses Buffy and it's played for laughs and no one ever calls him out on it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lager posted:

I had a lot of friends try to show me Firefly, but I could never really get past the first episode. The cast was phenomenal, but I kept feeling like it was "The Lost Cause: The Series" somehow. All the Western tropes alongside the civil war stuff just...oof.

You're not alone in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

Yeah... I liked Firefly but since things have gone on, the more I feel like maybe it only getting one season ended up being a good thing.

That and Adam Baldwin being a huge piece of poo poo.

Firefly is a show with a good deal of flaws, and it's entirely possible those flaws would become too hard to ignore if the show continued. But maybe, just maybe they could have had some Chinese people show up in Season 2.