Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Compared to some of the other stuff you have likely seen/heard about, does that _really_ surprise you?

dumping a box of blank 556 or 762, no.

dumping mortar bombs or 105/155? it surprises the gently caress outta me.

mind you i was caf and we pinched every penny so hard, i had to account for every round that left the magazine and which bussel it went into, then ensure the 105 brass matched the amount fired (in case someone tried to take a souvenir) and repackage back into crates whatever wasn't fired.

ammo techs at meaford/pet/wainwright are anal retentive when it comes to the big boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

canyoneer posted:

Hah, I remember a thread I think in the r/relationships gbs thread where some dude's brother borrowed his shotgun, fired a .50bmg out of it, and then gave it back. Guy says "you owe me a new shotgun", and brother says he's being a baby about it and it's fine! I'd never trust another round out of that gun

That's the exact one I was thinking of. Best case scenario is most of the energy blows past the round that's keyholing down the barrel and the case swells up to plug everything else. Worst case... Oof.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Wild T posted:

The Reddit thread taught me that it's evidently a thing now to try to fire .50 BMG rounds using 12 gauge shotguns. Nope nope nope, I don't want to be anywhere within shrapnel distance of that. That gives me the same kinda squicky unease as hearing about folks shooting .40 S&W out of 10mm semiautos because the extractor holds the shorter round kinda in the vicinity of the chamber.

.40sw in 10mm should still have barrel and slide lock up. It's just not head spacing off the chamber mouth by 3.6mm? so it's on the extractor, but slightly lower pressure. The entire .40 brass should be in the chamber of the 10mm barrel that's rated for higher pressure. I'd still rate this as a not a good idea but it's not near the same level of unease when you look at pressures from a 12 gauge to .50 bmg and that's not even considering smooth bore, etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The US's COVID response is the idiot.

A text from a nurse in a VA hospital:
"We're moving units to accommodate fewer COVID patients (for 2 weeks until the super bowl surge), so we're in the PACU with stretchers and curtains and 13 ICU patients in one huge room like MASH. Everyone is saying it feels like field hospitals from when they were in the service :|"

It's going to feel like that again. They've not accepted diverts from other hospitals for months now. So when Huckleberry County Rural Hospital and General Store elsewhere in the state has a patient in serious danger who needs treatment at a big hospital, it's been a blanket "nope, all full" since ~November. Whether you're there for COVID or a motorcycle crash, the hospital kindly insists you please go die somewhere else.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

mind you i was caf and we pinched every penny so hard, i had to account for every round that left the magazine and which bussel it went into, then ensure the 105 brass matched the amount fired (in case someone tried to take a souvenir) and repackage back into crates whatever wasn't fired.

ammo techs at meaford/pet/wainwright are anal retentive when it comes to the big boomers

Ive never heard of anyone dumping 556 or 762. On the last couple hours of an ex they either stand to you 30 times or let you have some fun and shoot rounds off.

Same with 105/155. We usually just have a 20 round fire mission.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ive never heard of anyone dumping 556 or 762. On the last couple hours of an ex they either stand to you 30 times or let you have some fun and shoot rounds off.

Same with 105/155. We usually just have a 20 round fire mission.

You just weren't in the fun units.

Nothing like doing Operation Clean Sweep and just finding poo poo that was dumped

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol the whats??

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

????

Do you mean like if you're a Nazi and you make it into the seals so you're with other Nazis or what?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

My Spirit Otter posted:

my unit may have been a shitshow but if there's one thing we were real good at it was making blanks go away without being fired

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I think my high point was the kerfuffle when someone crammed a brick (or two) of c4 into one of the amnesty boxes in Gagetown.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MA-Horus posted:

*anxiously shoves 105 casing that I snagged from wainwright behind a curtain*

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I guess I must have hung out with particularly-sticky fingered armor guys as they all had some 'interesting' souvenirs.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I guess I must have hung out with particularly-sticky fingered armor guys as they all had some 'interesting' souvenirs.

Aft caps are pretty standard so I don't wanna know what your guys have

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

big dong wanter posted:

Semi related question:
Is there an OSHA like body in the military or is it up to regular command? Because they are OSHA exempt and there are lots of dangerous things in the army

Listen, I'm late to this but I just wanted to say that I was on the smoke deck on PSNS and had the union workers openly pittying us. That was literally the worst year of my life.

e: And no, its up to usually whoever the Fleet Commander is. Planes and Carriers have NAVAIR, Cruisers and under have NAVSURF, and the Army and Air Force I'm sure have their own contingents.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 10, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If command is doing something willfully dangerous for no goddamn reason, though, the IG is a good nuclear option though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

At Bragg, burying blanks is a past time. It wasn't unusual to try and bury some just to find old ammo that someone buried before.

gently caress putting 1200 rounds of blanks for no god drat reason. Either turn it back in, or clean my poo poo, cocksuckers.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Wasabi the J posted:

If command is doing something willfully dangerous for no goddamn reason, though, the IG is a good nuclear option though.

Offer may not apply to the Naval Construction Force

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

maffew buildings posted:

Offer may not apply to the Naval Construction Force

Oh poo poo yeah idk. Captains and their fiefdoms.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MA-Horus posted:

*screams in ammo management*

loving what, dumping unfired he rounds?

Yeah that's old poo poo, dumping 2.75" WP rockets is the new hotness

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

IG is like HR, its there for the company, not for you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Memento posted:

Yeah that's old poo poo, dumping 2.75" WP rockets is the new hotness

This article is accidentally amazing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thump! posted:

*anxiously shoves 105 casing that I snagged from wainwright behind a curtain*

YOU. ARE YOU THE REASON I HAD TO SPEND 6 HOURS CHECKING EVERY TRUCK AND BUSSEL FOR ONE loving 105 BLANK CASING

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

MA-Horus posted:

YOU. ARE YOU THE REASON I HAD TO SPEND 6 HOURS CHECKING EVERY TRUCK AND BUSSEL FOR ONE loving 105 BLANK CASING

Guess you don't wanna hear about powder burns with missing increments then... And it was whole belts of .50 that people would find in the bushes out there. Smart ones left it alone. Dumb ones brought it back to the pos after taking a poo poo then had to spell "I WILL NOT PICK UP poo poo" with rocks. That kid was a trip, he later popped hot for meth.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Steezo posted:

Guess you don't wanna hear about powder burns with missing increments then... And it was whole belts of .50 that people would find in the bushes out there. Smart ones left it alone. Dumb ones brought it back to the pos after taking a poo poo then had to spell "I WILL NOT PICK UP poo poo" with rocks. That kid was a trip, he later popped hot for meth.

Dumb civilian question, why is it so painful to bring back ammo that was found? I get that it's probably a headache for accounting reasons, and if you can figure out who dumped it I'm assuming poo poo rains on them (and from them on to you in some way) but is there another reason?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MA-Horus posted:

Lol possibly, it was from an MGS gunnery at Greely back in 2018.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Someone is having a very bad no good day.

https://twitter.com/wspd2pio/status/1359655963729403910?s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Dumb civilian question, why is it so painful to bring back ammo that was found? I get that it's probably a headache for accounting reasons, and if you can figure out who dumped it I'm assuming poo poo rains on them (and from them on to you in some way) but is there another reason?

It's a pain to turn ammo back in, Period. You get it assigned down to lot numbers, and you are not supposed to mix lots, even of the same ammo, so turning it back in is kinda a bit of a nightmare. I've seen people blow up dirt with demo charges, rather than turn it back in. Toss it in a ditch, BOOM! Day is better for everyone.

They even require you to return the dunnage, by caliber, and weight. If you show up with mystery ammo, I can only imagine the pain.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

If it's been out there long enough and exposed to the elements it can become a hazard to handle. You're not finding fresh cases of unopened .50, it's partial belts and god knows how long its been out there.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Maybe they're training to be Iraqi or Afghani EOD

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

They even require you to return the dunnage, by caliber, and weight. If you show up with mystery ammo, I can only imagine the pain.

Ding ding ding this. At the end of range day it is far easier to weigh crates of expended .50 than deal with ammo turn in bullshit.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Volmarias posted:

It's volunteering your coworkers to inherit a semi-serious problem in an environment that incentives doing the opposite. Off the top of my head, it's like working in a fortune 500-sized corp and telling your supervisor that you discovered someone skimming tens of dollars from the coffee fund and it could be prevented if everybody did x. Sure it shouldn't be happening but they don't care, they don't want to have to care, and don't you have better things to do?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Maybe they're training to be Iraqi or Afghani EOD

Let me tell you guys about the Iraqi EOD officer who assisted with a suspected IED in a tree. We cordon off the area, and Iraqi Police patrol happens by, and astoundingly, offer to help.

"Possible Bomb in that tree."
"Ah! Habibi, we have out bomb engineer here."
Homedude walks over to their truck, and out steps a tubby dude in a Saddam mustache, obviously 2 divorces into "Too Old For This poo poo". Pops opens an 80s vintage briefcase. He pulls each item out, laying them on the hood.
1× long shanked flat head screwdriver with obvious signs of using it as a pry bar.
1× Phillips head normal household sized. screwdrive
1× knockoff Leatherman
1× Ball Peen hammer

He proceeds to shove each item into a place or pocket. Pry bar screwdriver stuck in the belt. Phillips head in a back pocket. Leatherman in the front. Hammer in hand. Aviator style glasses on the entire time, he then walks towards the bomb.
"Guys, get down a bit. I think it's gonna get messy."
"Roger."

All of us duck down for approximately .4 seconds before resuming our voyeur snuff film. Most IEDs in that hood at that time were command dets, so we really expect this to go badly, but ballsy.

He squints at the round thing with wires in the tree from about 3 meters, before slowly creeping closer, and smashing the living gently caress out of with that loving hammer.

Thing goes skittering down the road. It was debris from a previous IED a block over that landed in a tree, and from the angle we saw it, looked suspiciously like a Russian mine we were trained to look for.

Then, he picks it up, carries it back; after returning each item of his kit to it's place in his briefcase, drops in the NotBomb, latches it, and lights up a smoke. Like a loving gangster.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Let me tell you guys about the Iraqi EOD officer who assisted with a suspected IED in a tree. We cordon off the area, and Iraqi Police patrol happens by, and astoundingly, offer to help.

"Possible Bomb in that tree."
"Ah! Habibi, we have out bomb engineer here."
Homedude walks over to their truck, and out steps a tubby dude in a Saddam mustache, obviously 2 divorces into "Too Old For This poo poo". Pops opens an 80s vintage briefcase. He pulls each item out, laying them on the hood.
1× long shanked flat head screwdriver with obvious signs of using it as a pry bar.
1× Phillips head normal household sized. screwdrive
1× knockoff Leatherman
1× Ball Peen hammer

He proceeds to shove each item into a place or pocket. Pry bar screwdriver stuck in the belt. Phillips head in a back pocket. Leatherman in the front. Hammer in hand. Aviator style glasses on the entire time, he then walks towards the bomb.
"Guys, get down a bit. I think it's gonna get messy."
"Roger."

All of us duck down for approximately .4 seconds before resuming our voyeur snuff film. Most IEDs in that hood at that time were command dets, so we really expect this to go badly, but ballsy.

He squints at the round thing with wires in the tree from about 3 meters, before slowly creeping closer, and smashing the living gently caress out of with that loving hammer.

Thing goes skittering down the road. It was debris from a previous IED a block over that landed in a tree, and from the angle we saw it, looked suspiciously like a Russian mine we were trained to look for.

Then, he picks it up, carries it back; after returning each item of his kit to it's place in his briefcase, drops in the NotBomb, latches it, and lights up a smoke. Like a loving gangster.

I always loved poo poo like this, because they're already in a super-poo poo situation and why not go out acting like a boss if you're probably hosed anyway. It's crazy and stupid, but also amazing.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I believe it was here someone mentioned the surprisingly-efficient command-wire detection and removal methodology that was:
1) Dirt Bike
2) A rake

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

I believe it was here someone mentioned the surprisingly-efficient command-wire detection and removal methodology that was:
1) Dirt Bike
2) A rake

We accidentally detonated our first IED by accidentally grabbing the wire and it went boom.

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but I'm good.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

1) Dirt Bike
2) A rake

Sweep and zone works too...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

One of the things I learned when I read all of this thread from the start is the navy have way less of a problem with turning poo poo they shouldn't have in. Because the ability to throw poo poo into the ocean during the night means things can very easily just vanish.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Float test: unsat.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One of the things I learned when I read all of this thread from the start is the navy have way less of a problem with turning poo poo they shouldn't have in. Because the ability to throw poo poo into the ocean during the night means things can very easily just vanish.

I'm not actually that proud of this now, but I once took an oil rig to a shipyard in Greece for basically hull up rebuild, from where it had been drilling in Sicily, and when we arrived we were 120 tons lighter than when we set off. The Med is deep and hides a lot of sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It doesn't even have to be deep. There's a few of my shipyard mistakes in the silt below the Mobile River.

And a few pieces of gear from complete assholes.