Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

VinylonUnderground posted:

It's worth remembering that W and Cheney are both big B5 fans. Possibly the most famous fans the franchise has.

I ... don't understand that at all. Then again, the viewpoint of W and Cheney is far more alien to me than anything in SciFi so their ways being fundamentally inscrutable is on-brand for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

No then we’d just get the Amazon Basics B5
That's what Amazon could do without Bezos caring. Imagine if he did.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

It's worth remembering that W and Cheney are both big B5 fans. Possibly the most famous fans the franchise has.

I ... don't understand that at all. Then again, the viewpoint of W and Cheney is far more alien to me than anything in SciFi so their ways being fundamentally inscrutable is on-brand for them.

JMS did say 30% of his fans would side with the Shadows. Actually, come to think of it Cheney would love the paternalism of the Vorlons combined with the strong devouring the weak mentality of the Shadows....

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Narsham posted:

How about WHORU?

GDSNTME might get you into trouble.

But if you have real game, try BOOGEE and put a bucket sticker next to it.

ZOG

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

That gets us three plates total: ZOG, ZOG YES and ZOG NO.

How about FSTNZIP? (Or ZIPFSTN?)

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Yeah, don't get a license plate with that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would be worse than when I ignorantly registered ELDER OF ZION as my Matrix Online username, I can tell you that much.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

It's worth remembering that W and Cheney are both big B5 fans.

Wait, really?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yes

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember JMS posted once that a White House staffer told him Bush and Cheney were big B5 fans. Never sure whether to believe JMS' stories though.

Narsham posted:

It wasn't some White House staffer, it was Karl Rove. And he didn't tell JMS, he told Bruce Boxleitner (according to JMS). And Cheney wasn't mentioned. I don't imagine he watched a lot of sci-fi.

Boxleitner is right-wing, and Jerry Doyle was definitely closer to the Bush/Cheney side of things than to the Clinton side of things. And Rove is unquestionably a nerd.

The JMS Usenet post:
http://worldsofjms.com/usenet/post/021126a.htm

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

GR8MCHN

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
CNTRI-6

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Matching cars with the same paint jobs, only one is PURPLE and the other is GREEN.

Wait, that sounds like a good way to break a leg!

So after they reboot the B5 computer in season 3, it has a Genuine People Personality, voiced by Harlan Ellison himself and muttering about a brisket. I have absolutely no memory of this episode.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

PSICORP
PSYCORP?
PSYCORE??
SCICORP :commissar:

Edit: G'CAR

Sedgr fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 11, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narsham posted:

How about WHORU?

If you want to get pulled over by every cop who thinks you're a pimp, sure.

Still, this idiotic derail is better than the usual reason for 20 posts in the thread.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sedgr posted:

:perfect:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know if it helps you guys, and it may even surprise you, but right wing people don't typically see themselves as the caricatures you foist upon them.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
“I found myself remembering the day in kindergarten when the teachers showed us Dumbo, and I realized for the first time that all the kids in the class, even the bullies, rooted for Dumbo, against Dumbo’s tormentors. Invariably they laughed and cheered, both when Dumbo succeeded and when bad things happened to his enemies. But they’re you, I thought to myself. How did they not know? They didn’t know. It was astounding, an astounding truth. Everyone thought they were Dumbo.”

~ Elif Batuman, The Idiot

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Slamhound posted:

“I found myself remembering the day in kindergarten when the teachers showed us Dumbo, and I realized for the first time that all the kids in the class, even the bullies, rooted for Dumbo, against Dumbo’s tormentors. Invariably they laughed and cheered, both when Dumbo succeeded and when bad things happened to his enemies. But they’re you, I thought to myself. How did they not know? They didn’t know. It was astounding, an astounding truth. Everyone thought they were Dumbo.”

~ Elif Batuman, The Idiot
Thank you for sharing this. I plan to read that book this reason off of that quote alone.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sedgr posted:

lol this is awesome

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Somebody has taken some of those CGI rerenders. Made them 24fps and slapped a film grain on top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDaygRhrg8
IMHO looks better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a shocking amount of like hard right people super into scifi even shows that seem absolutely explicitly anti-fascism and anti-authoritarian. They often don't see them selves as fascists, specially more old school "classical liberals" or what ever. When Babylon 5 takes a stand against the coup on earth they remember how it felt during the Obama years when freedom was under attack. With a bit of media manipulation and some false flag bombings extremists could take over any time and create a brutal soviet style dictatorship and put middle america in gulags which is what the left wants. Ministry of truth is just like these SJW language-police that want to ban certain words (like racial slurs) or use 1984 style new-speak like "pronouns" thinking it will some how make society better. The cowardly short sighted League refusing to heed their warnings about the shadows and unite in military action is just like how so much of the world won't take the muslim menace seriously and didn't support the US in their invasion of Iraq and greater war on terror but the noble US fought to keep the whole planet safe. Brave men making hard choices and being willing to die or do unpopular things in a very clear good vs evil battle is exactly how they like to imagine them selves.

Or there's the fact that a lot of people don't really watch shows with a political lens. They like the spaceships and epic struggles of good vs evil. They know they are personally good and the people they don't like are evil so they can relate. Sure they'll roll their eyes here and there when the show "gets political" but everyone knows hollywood is controlled by the libs so obviously they were forced to put some of that social justice crap in there. Mostly they just don't think too deeply about any of this stuff, it's just entertainment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just about everybody is a hero in their own minds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midjack posted:

Just about everybody is a hero in their own minds.

Or the quote from the Bush 1 era: "Nobody ever declared a war between good and evil with the thought that they were on the side of evil".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ideological chirality is a lot more ambiguous of a concept than you'd think, and there have been historical examples of authoritarian radicals professing their ideals to both left and right ideologies. There's a reason why horseshoe theory is a thing.

I think the weirdest might be how thoroughly so much of the right are invested in the idea that the media is constantly lying and faked, except they believe that because they're so invested in the most skewed, propagandistic, and lying news networks available.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If you try to tell me CNN and MSNBC are any different from Newsmax or Fox News in the degree of ideological slant, I will lol in your face. I wouldn't watch any of them, and haven't in years.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Goblin Craft posted:

If you try to tell me CNN and MSNBC are any different from Newsmax or Fox News in the degree of ideological slant, I will lol in your face. I wouldn't watch any of them, and haven't in years.

I always appreciate these little conservative self-owns.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always appreciate these little conservative self-owns.

They're as funny as they are sad.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Watching cable news is the self-own.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Goblin Craft posted:

While that's true it's irrelevant to how silly your other position is.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

I just fired up the one ep I have on vudu of b5 and it's s1e1. It's in 4:3, but this image looks a bit sharper than I remember?

Here's Vudu

here's Amazon

The buttons on the control panels don't look as crisp in the vudu version I think

Sorry to bug you about this again, CainFortea, but I'm curious what browser & OS you used for the Vudu screenshot of the remastered release? I only just discovered that Vudu doesn't allow full quality HDX anymore on a PC, unless you are using Edge or Safari. Some kind of DRM bullshit. So it's possible that's the reason why your screenshot from Vudu was blurry. OTOH, it could be any number of other things. Thanks!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

In the middle of rewatching season 3, and we get not one, but two episodes with Bester in them! And G'Kar asking Garibaldi not to thump the Book of G'Quon.

I was hoping the blooper reel would have had an outtake of Koenig sitting in the captain's chair of the White Star, but alas. (However, Jurasik gets some really good lines.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrShLkNJI8

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jet Jaguar posted:

In the middle of rewatching season 3, and we get not one, but two episodes with Bester in them! And G'Kar asking Garibaldi not to thump the Book of G'Quon.

I was hoping the blooper reel would have had an outtake of Koenig sitting in the captain's chair of the White Star, but alas. (However, Jurasik gets some really good lines.)

I just love Kosh 2 hanging his head in disappointment :allears:.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, I never thought that the videocalls were done in real-time. That's a fairly complicated setup they've got there.

Goblin Craft posted:

Weirdly defensive about the news you don't watch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Goblin Craft posted:

Goblin Craft posted:

"Hey guys just popping in here to chime in that I totally don't watch ISN or anything but I will nonetheless very stridently exclaim that it's no worse than all the other interstellar news networks"

Meanwhile on ISN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAi_fQgD7-M

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Goblin Craft posted:

I don't know if it helps you guys, and it may even surprise you, but right wing people don't typically see themselves as the caricatures you foist upon them.

The right wing has gone so far off the deep end they invaded the capitol and tried to assassinate members of congress and the senate in an attempt to invalidate an election.

They'ree beyond caricature

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikusR posted:

Somebody has taken some of those CGI rerenders. Made them 24fps and slapped a film grain on top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDaygRhrg8
IMHO looks better.
That's nice, but oof, it really shows how few polys were used in all the debris when ships get sliced up by battlecrab beams.

Also "4k film grain", lol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Huh, I never thought that the videocalls were done in real-time. That's a fairly complicated setup they've got there.

One of my favourite B5 Bloopers is Captain Sheridan pointing at Mr Morden in one of the holding cells and saying "That man is legally dead" while Mr Morden suddenly spasms and falls over backwards :allears:.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf_kjwOSjGI&t=18s

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jet Jaguar posted:

this is so precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weirdly defensive about the news you don't watch.

Who's defending? It's all trash.

McCloud posted:

The right wing has gone so far off the deep end they invaded the capitol and tried to assassinate members of congress and the senate in an attempt to invalidate an election.

They'ree beyond caricature

A few hundred criminal kooks that have been nearly universally condemned even on the right, do not equal "the right wing." I've heard of painting with a wide brush but you're going with the full-on industrial sprayer. Cable news watcher?