Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh yeah, Grunt still kicking but now he's the grumpy old man instead of the scrappy young tankbred could be fun.

"T'soni."

"Grunt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Baron von der Loon posted:

Is there a write-up anywhere about them changing the ending, because their original plans were leaked? From what I remember, there was a Final Hours of ME3 thing, is it in there?

It's not a thing. An XBox Live closed beta leaked a few months before release that contained older drafts of the script in it's files, and the ending choices are identical other than superficial wording. Synthesis was described as "become one with the Reapers" and considered the 'perfect' ending. The starchild was there just referred to as 'Guardian'

The major changes were on Thessia, where Javik would be captured by Kai Leng instead of the Prothean VI, and there would have been a Virmire survivor confrontation there instead of during Udina's coup attempt. There was also at some point a forced death decision after losing the boss fight where you had to choose between saving Liara or the Virmire survivor.

Dark Energy was never the 'original' ending, it was dumped as an idea well before ME2 was finished.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Seemlar posted:

There was also at some point a forced death decision after losing the boss fight where you had to choose between saving Liara or the Virmire survivor.
My personal belief is that they changed this because they realized that no one would pick the Virmire loser over Liara in any circumstance.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

My personal belief is that they changed this because they realized that no one would pick the Virmire loser over Liara in any circumstance.

Kaidan I could maybe see, but anyone who would choose Ashley over Liara in that situation is not someone I respect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Imagine a world where the Reapers' motive was just a horn blurt and continued genocide because really that's all we needed gently caress all the justification

You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

"Yeah, but... why though?"

Di-did I not just say--were you not paying attention or something?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ashley sucks and while I wanted to like Kaiden because his backstory is kind of interesting, I could never get over that his VA is just Carth's VA, doing the exact same voice he did for Carth. Kept waiting for him to go on a rant to Shepard about how he can't trust them.

I actually like that either's response to meeting Shepard again in 2 is a rightfully justified "what the gently caress are you doing working for a glorified terrorist group?" - the returning alien companions in particular like Tali and Garrus should have had way bigger hangups about working with Shepard because of that - but I get that the scenes are unpopular because they come off as scolding the player for a choice they never actually got to make. It's a shame you don't really have more chances to tell Cerberus to go gently caress themselves before the ending, even in minimally-reactive ways like in ME1 where you can just refuse to report to the Council, or hang up on them the second they start giving you lip.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Funky Valentine posted:

The older revisions also had the Virmire survivor showing up on Thessia with Kai Leng and initially on his side until you convince them otherwise, which is like -10000 likability points for them

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

The older revisions also had the Virmire survivor showing up on Thessia with Kai Leng and initially on his side until you convince them otherwise, which is like -10000 likability points for them

Ooooh, if that happener and the rest of the game played out as normal w/r/t Kai Leng, I would have pulled the Renegade Interupt trigger for the prompt to put a bullet through the Vermire survivor's head so hard I would have crushed my controller to dust.

God drat.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

"Yeah, but... why though?"

Di-did I not just say--were you not paying attention or something?

"Did I loving stutter, organic?"

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
As a 35-year-old man, I am ashamed at how much I want that N7 collector edition helmet.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ghouldaddy07 posted:

As a 35-year-old man, I am ashamed at how much I want that N7 collector edition helmet.

nice try, legion

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

nice try, legion

There was a hole...

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Kurieg posted:

There was a hole...

Does this unit have the disposable income?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

Ashley sucks and while I wanted to like Kaiden because his backstory is kind of interesting, I could never get over that his VA is just Carth's VA, doing the exact same voice he did for Carth. Kept waiting for him to go on a rant to Shepard about how he can't trust them.

He wasn't doing his Carth voice as Kaidan, that's the actor's normal speaking voice. That would be like saying Elias Toufexis is always doing Adam Jensen.

I feel like they underused Ashley in ME3 compared to Kaidan. Kaidan had a lot of really good little scenes as a crewmate (I especially liked the one where he's talking to Shepard and musing about whether the Illusive Man was ever once a good person, after you rescue the Cerberus scientists). Ashley just got drunk with Vega and did not much else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Seemlar posted:

It's not a thing. An XBox Live closed beta leaked a few months before release that contained older drafts of the script in it's files, and the ending choices are identical other than superficial wording. Synthesis was described as "become one with the Reapers" and considered the 'perfect' ending. The starchild was there just referred to as 'Guardian'

I was always weirded out by their insistence on synthesis as the preferable ending because like ... I do not want to learn to coexist with omnigenocidal immortal space monsters tvym

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
hooray, we're all a unique form of life and will never misunderstand each other again! but imagine being a husk and becoming 'alive' during the battle for earth

what's the word for a fantasy realized again? oh yeah, nightmare.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did everything in the galaxy get ...nanobots? I'm not sure how the synthesis was supposed to work. Algae, amoeba, ants, anthrax, and so on and so forth etc?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Did everything in the galaxy get ...nanobots? I'm not sure how the synthesis was supposed to work. Algae, amoeba, ants, anthrax, and so on and so forth etc?

Joker's hat gained sentience

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pattonesque posted:

I was always weirded out by their insistence on synthesis as the preferable ending because like ... I do not want to learn to coexist with omnigenocidal immortal space monsters tvym

Control being the paragon ending makes sense because it's the obvious paragon solution - saving everyone by saving the Reapers from themselves, getting rid of the thing that compelled them to be monsters, turning their vast knowledge and powers into tools of good rather than evil. After all every Reaper was once a race of people, they're victims too. Except Harbringer, the Leviathans getting juiced was karma.

Synthesis is that but with wonky galactic transhumanism bolted on where everyone is now a bit organic and a bit technological and there's universal mutual understanding so differences or misunderstandings are no longer a thing. I guess? It's a happily ever after solution that is anything but perfect when you start thinking about it and it's consequences. Joker's living hat and sentient Husks are probably the least of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It really is astonishing how much Leviathan kills the mystic of the Reapers. They go from mysterious entities with somewhat understandable goals but unknowable origins to malfunctioning paperclip optimizers that can't even conceive of cybernetics. And all three of the endings involve, in some way, agreeing with the faulty conclusions of a malfunctioning machine created by evil mind control squids. That AIs and Organics literally cannot exist together so you either need to A) Destroy all the AIs, B) put an organic mind in charge of the AIs or C) use literal loving space magic to turn everyone into a homogeneous cybernetic race so everyone will get along forever.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
“Fusing organic and synthetic life” makes no sense as a thing you can do, but it also makes no sense as a solution to the synthetic life problem in the first place, because it does nothing to stop people from building machines to do work for them, and then making those machines smarter so they can work better, etc, until you have geth 2.0 or whatever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Would have liked to follow up post-synthesis ending with some of the Batarian gun arm humans and seen how they were getting along at some point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

“Fusing organic and synthetic life” makes no sense as a thing you can do, but it also makes no sense as a solution to the synthetic life problem in the first place, because it does nothing to stop people from building machines to do work for them, and then making those machines smarter so they can work better, etc, until you have geth 2.0 or whatever.

The problem has never been creating artificial life, the problem has been with making artificial slaves and then making them sentient, then refusing to meet their new needs. Yes those needs will be different than what an organic life form needs, but they are probably not incompatible unless you design them to be that way.

Like the entire point of SAM is that they create a sentient mind and a means by which his needs are met, and attainable goals, and SAM is happy to do whatever he can to help people because of the mutualism involved. And in a golden ending Rannoch the Geth are perfectly fine with helping the Quarians because they are being treated as sentient equals.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Well sure, that’s the other half of the issue - the game never actually makes a case that synthetic/organic conflict is inevitable, but the endings act like it is and all your options revolve around how you’re going to solve it. Synthesis is cool because even if you accept the flimsy premise, it still falls apart as a solution because it doesn’t actually address the problem in any way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The ending also makes no sense because somehow the Protheans made incomplete blueprints to a device that the current day races completed that was able to use the Citadel to do something the reapers didnt' even know was possible and the Protheans would find abhorrent.

Like, Blowing up the reapers, i can understand, that's something the crucible would have been designed to do. Taking control of the reapers, sure, if the AI that controls them is in the citadel then yeah that makes sense, but i have no idea why you still need the blue laser and the relays blow up.

But what does Synthesis do that makes transhumanism happen? How does it happen. Like even within the fiction of the game how the gently caress do you use space lasers to turn someone into a cyborg that doesn't also make them extra crispy?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's the Singularity

But yeah, that's why I chose Destroy; it's a giant EMP that'll turn off the Reapers (and everything else in the galaxy but we can rebuilt that), no AI Gods, no Techno-organic hats, no Shepard being literally Space Jesus instead of a metaphorical one

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 11, 2021

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

specifically the Crucible is just a sufficiently large "dark energy" reactor that can be used for anything. its purpose is to provide enough energy to perform whatever ending you eventually select

the actual mechanism for how the Crucible defeats the Reapers is that it's like a Science victory in Civilisation: the Catalyst sees the Crucible, realises that its completion means organic races have developed enough that the culls won't work anymore, and surrenders

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is really poorly explained in ME3, but the Crucible is itself also a piece of Reaper technology that, if constructed, causes the Catalyst to reconsider its programming. It wasn't first devised by the Protheans, or any other cycle race. Like Lt. Danger said it's just The Thing that makes ending the cycle possible.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My problem with the Leviathans is that they should have a much bigger impact than they do, but that's what you get with a DLC-only plot point.

exquisite tea posted:

This is really poorly explained in ME3, but the Crucible is itself also a piece of Reaper technology that, if constructed, causes the Catalyst to reconsider its programming.
I remember the Star Kiddo saying that regardless of what Shepard chooses, the Reapers' system is basically never going to be the same if it continues.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Am I misremembering or is there a scene towards the end of ME3 where if you get the Leviathans as a war asset there's a brief scene of one fighting a Reaper and it looks ridiculous because neither of them have forward facing limbs?

I think I must be confusing this scene with something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHA3p4kMqcw

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 11, 2021

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I played the whole trilogy as a Boy Scout paragon and I loved it all and when I achieved the synthesis ending I felt vindicated because sacrificing himself to end all conflict seemed completely in character and was a fitting send off

I’m aware that this makes me The Worst

Edit: I also thought Vega was a boring lunkhead, hated the Miranda buttshots and I never pushed the guy out of the window, come at me

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 11, 2021

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I never much jived with the synthesis/control endings because it requires you to take the star child at face value, which, given Bioware, was I'm sure what we're supposed to do. But my shepard didn't believe that weirdo hologram and despite going 99% paragon in all three games I nuked those reaper fucks to hell because that was the only choice that I could be sure would definitely get rid of their asses and do what it was supposed to do.

Scandalous posted:

I played the whole trilogy as a Boy Scout paragon and I loved it all and when I achieved the synthesis ending I felt vindicated because sacrificing himself to end all conflict seemed completely in character and was a fitting send off

Edit: I also thought Vega was a boring lunkhead, hated the Miranda buttshots and I never pushed the guy out of the window, come at me

Also, hey, most video games are power fantasies, and your power fantasy was to be very very nice to people. Definitely not The Worst :)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Shepherd at the end of ME3 seems like they've got a concussion, is bleeding to death, and generally doesn't know where they are or what they're doing.

IIRC there's dialogue along the lines of "I..I don't know. What should I do?"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Scandalous posted:

This was exactly how my first trilogy playthrough went and I loved it. I still do actually. It’s hammy goofy poo poo that doesn’t stand up under scrutiny, but I think you can say that about most fiction. I liked the music at the end, I loved the visuals, the push through London. I loved the talks with Anderson and just the absolute desperation of it all.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Seemlar posted:

Control being the paragon ending makes sense because it's the obvious paragon solution - saving everyone by saving the Reapers from themselves, getting rid of the thing that compelled them to be monsters, turning their vast knowledge and powers into tools of good rather than evil. After all every Reaper was once a race of people, they're victims too. Except Harbringer, the Leviathans getting juiced was karma.

see I feel like if I got turned into a weird gestalt consciousness which had murdered trillions of people I probably would just wanna die

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'll probably play the remaster going full on renegade every chance I can since I tended to paragon.

dont know if I can shoot mordin though, that's like a red line. gotta keep Wrex around too, best ME3 content.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ghouldaddy07 posted:

32 Year old man, bought the absolute poo poo out of it will probably hang it in my office.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The correct way to play through this is:
- One character who is incredibly competent and does everything correct (Renegade-ish Femshep)
- One character who makes every single wrong choice and then you end the game with like two alive squaddies

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Miranda died for me in ME2 and her ME3 mission without her was one of the best. Can't remember another moment in the trilogy when a paragon and renegade interrupt go so well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dog Kisser posted:

- One character who makes every single wrong choice and then you end the game with like two alive squaddies

This can get surprisingly dark in ME3. You can end up doing things like getting all your allies killed, sometimes doing the deed personally, genociding whole species, and quoting Saren without a hint of irony.