Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Private Speech posted:

a tweet by a senior government minister, no less

ahaha, I knew I wasn't imaging it

Jel Shaker posted:

you couldn’t design a system set up to force reunification better imo

I didn't have "32 county ireland" on my bingo card or that the conservatives were secret 32 county ireland supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

XMNN posted:

and they're not even implementing the Irish sea border properly yet lol

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1359590841619275776?s=19

i take issue with "glorious britaine not understanding the deal they made" being considered as "breaking news"

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

10000 Sex Arses posted:

I got an email from Amazon telling me that one of my favourite whiskeys (Bushmills' Black Bush) was on offer.

But due to Brexit Amazon is no longer able to ship Northern Irish spirits to Northern Ireland,. They have to go through export declarations to ship to Amazon's distribution centre in GB, them go through further export declarations to ship it back from GB to Northern Ireland's EU customs zone.

The government is still sticking to their hardline propaganda that there is no internal Tory sea border between Britain and NI.

How could the EU do this

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1359653603972104194?s=20

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yeah, expat friend living in Amsterdam says it's a mad scramble right now to snap up real estate and that someone he knows got a 50,000 euro above asking price cash offer in the first hours after he put his place up for sale.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

can i just say how weird the words "tesco" and "lidl" sound to me. like something you see on a sign in a movie to let the audience know youve travelled to an alternate dimension

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hahahahaaaaa

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the massive self owns just keep on coming

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

in any news-tweet related to brexit somehow the top commenters are always the same half dozen people blaming the EU. the forums could learn a lot from such 24/7 dedicated shitposting

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

New Adam Curtis series is out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p093wp6h/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

10000 Sex Arses posted:

I got an email from Amazon telling me that one of my favourite whiskeys (Bushmills' Black Bush) was on offer.

But due to Brexit Amazon is no longer able to ship Northern Irish spirits to Northern Ireland,. They have to go through export declarations to ship to Amazon's distribution centre in GB, them go through further export declarations to ship it back from GB to Northern Ireland's EU customs zone.

The government is still sticking to their hardline propaganda that there is no internal Tory sea border between Britain and NI.

that is incredible. thank you for this story

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonna be honest I don't really give a shot about this

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jose posted:

Gonna be honest I don't really give a shot about this
Elevation London: 11m
Elevation Amsterdam: -2m

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Elevation London: 11m
Elevation Amsterdam: -2m

just wait 5 years lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

crepeface posted:

just wait 5 years lol

Elevation London: -2m
Elevation Amsterdam: -11m

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

crepeface posted:

just wait 5 years lol
I don’t get it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Getting rid of the financial sector will be a net benefit for the UK.

Getting rid of the financial sector overnight by loving up international trading access will not.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

can i just say how weird the words "tesco" and "lidl" sound to me. like something you see on a sign in a movie to let the audience know youve travelled to an alternate dimension

Lidl is in the US now too. Seems basically like another Aldi.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gonadic io posted:

Elevation London: -2m
Elevation Amsterdam: -11m

pretty much

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
amsterdam sucks beyond belief and the influx of even more finance people is just going to make it suck even more

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Black Bush is a good drink.
But its available everywhere in NI, why do you have to get it from Amazon?
Cheaper by much?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

oliwan posted:

amsterdam sucks beyond belief and the influx of even more finance people is just going to make it suck even more

The worthy successor to London then.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hello, American here. I can also say that the company that I work for has completely stopped running any projects in the UK thanks to Brexit. Before we ran all of our projects out of the UK. We now run them all out of Germany or Ireland and have been told specifically to not do anymore work in GB for any EU matters thanks to GDPR concerns (our work is clearing stuff of GDPR stuff so it can leave the EU).

Nitrousoxide has issued a correction as of 14:21 on Feb 11, 2021

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

pip pip stiff upper lip

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

this is, so far, super wonderful for my industry. 90% of it is made up of europeans and everyone was only in london because they had to be. now everyone gets to live somewhere good instead and never again deal with the perfidious pound awooo

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bitmap posted:

pip pip suffer lip

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The £pound has strengthened the last couple weeks too which has to be a giant nail in the coffin for some UK businesses.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

what's the primo destination du jour to flee to now? germany seems pretty cool

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oliwan posted:

better airport though

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

kecske posted:

what's the primo destination du jour to flee to now? germany seems pretty cool

why not amsterdam
you get canals like they have in venice but also legal weed

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

hobbesmaster posted:

better airport though

compared to heathrow? mostly just a bit smaller and more boring

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Jeep posted:

why not amsterdam

As was already mentioned, amsterdam sucks rear end. It's basically like London but even worse because smaller and more concentrated.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

Doctor Jeep posted:

why not amsterdam

Weed will be legal when we can no longer afford to police it / economic Tories need the income.

Jacob Rees Mog would stand in parliament complaining we are loosing money to Jamaica or something else just designed to piss people off on both sides of the aisle.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's a constant conflict between tories wanting to make a shitload of money of getting in on the ground floor, vs the desire to not give the poor nice things.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1359573098102743050

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm guessing "powers" means corporal punishment in the last tweet there.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Black Bush is a good drink.
But its available everywhere in NI, why do you have to get it from Amazon?
Cheaper by much?

Yeah it was on offer for about 10 quid less than my local place. I didn't even know they sold booze until lockdown last year. They occasionally have flash deals where you can pick up decent single malts at silly prices.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CactusWeasle posted:

The £pound has strengthened the last couple weeks too which has to be a giant nail in the coffin for some UK businesses.

All the eel will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oliwan posted:

As was already mentioned, amsterdam sucks rear end. It's basically like London but even worse because smaller and more concentrated.

Also, speaking as someone with eyesight issues, it's the single most pedestrian-unfriendly city I've ever been to. Even riding on the automatic trams is a weirdly hostile experience. Like, I've been to places like Marrakesh, and they were significantly nicer and more comfortable to walk around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

as an observer, the one thing that's interesting is clearly there were a lot of true believers in brexit that thought it'd just be pip pip and away we go, off to be swashbuckling buccaneers ruling the waves once again and everything would be great and they are genuinely shocked that it didn't turn out that way. like you want to think it's a bunch of cynical political bullshit but the level of shock is making clear on some level they really were huffing their own farts, which is both astonishing and terrifying. like they really are that stupid.

also nobody knowing what brexit means