Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also the media remote for the PS3 is leagues ahead of the PS4 one and the PS5 does not exist as a console, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I think it's staged, and you might notice that they don't actually show the PS3 booting. Probably (successfully) chasing the algorithm.

That's definitely a skit, there's no way that PS3 wasn't an actor

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cardiovorax posted:

What's reflowing in that context? Wikipedia says it's a type of soldering involving solder paste and an infrared lamp, so I'm guessing we're talking about something different here.

Normally when you assemble a pcb with surface mount components you stick everything down to the board with solder paste and heat it up until everything melts together. Someone long ago theorized that the reason PS3s die is something to do with the solder balls between the main SoC and the board. So it became popular to "reflow" just that chip by heating it until the solder melts and then letting it cool again.

I don't think it's the solder balls because I've seen them come back temporarily from hitting them with much less heat than you'd need to melt the solder, but nobody really knows for sure. It's a weird generation of silicon. What I can say for certain is that if a "reflow" fixed it, it's on borrowed time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re not the first person I’ve seen say they use their PS3 as largely a blu-ray machine now. Are the blu-ray capabilities especially better than with later PlayStations, or is it disc gamers not wanting to take a game out of their PS4/5 to put a movie in?

PS3 blu ray drives are incredibly durable because unlike PS4 drives they had to be rated for near-constant use since nearly all PS3 games read from disc all the time rather than installing to HD and just running occasional DRM checks, so the drives themselves had to be rock solid from day one because they were the only vector for Sony to win the blu ray / HDDVD format war. In addition, the drives are extremely silent (even compared to PS4) due to the density of the PS3 in comparison to stand-alone players which cost a lot but have a bunch of empty space inside and are prone to vibration and loud tracking. The PS3 also has a lot of menu options for playback adjustment, some that go deeper than my own personal audio-visual understanding can make use of.

If you don't care about 4k blurays then PS3 slim is the best blu ray player out there imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

RareAcumen posted:

That's definitely a skit, there's no way that PS3 wasn't an actor

On that note, this is animal abuse, right?

https://youtube.com/user/SmashDuedTV

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can (temporarily) revive some components simply by heating them up, but this isn't really a permanent fix as all you're doing is momentarily provoking an electrical reaction, like a defibrillator. The heart eventually has to keep beating on its own.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

You can (temporarily) revive some components simply by heating them up, but this isn't really a permanent fix as all you're doing is momentarily provoking an electrical reaction, like a defibrillator. The heart eventually has to keep beating on its own.

My searching eventually lead me to Rossman's rant.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I think it's staged, and you might notice that they don't actually show the PS3 booting. Probably (successfully) chasing the algorithm.

Yeah not showing it booting was a huge troll lol.

Also yeah I think they strategically broke apart a PS3 and sprayed it with something to make it look corroded. Nothing about it makes sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the PS3 allows you to just play discs without having to basically boot into another OS which is what it feels like the PS4 does lol

I have no evidence, but I think the PS4 and PS5 run some kind of custom variant of the Sony Blu-Ray/DVD Player OS when they play them.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MGS movie is coming never, it’s a scam to keep the rights a la Fox’s perpetually “in preproduction” Gambit film.

channing tatum is totally going to play him bro

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have no evidence, but I think the PS4 and PS5 run some kind of custom variant of the Sony Blu-Ray/DVD Player OS when they play them.

That would make sense. At least it would explain why the buttons and UI don't line up with anything else. It'd be nice if they updated it so playing a movie on disc felt somewhat inline with the last 15 years of streaming apps and their own OS.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh you want to press X to pause like every other app on the system do you :smug:?

gently caress you!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGS movie comes out the same weekend as the Hollywood live action Akira remake that everyone has been dreading since the mid 90s

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh you want to press X to pause like every other app on the system do you :smug:?

gently caress you!!!!

I watched a DVD on my PS4 last night and X paused it (as did Circle, but Square took me back to the main menu). Do the buttons do different things based on the disc kind you are watching?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I thought Concrete Genie was a cool game and it was nice and short with an easy platinum.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you to everyone who answered my question! That’s really interesting imo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rinkles posted:

its real, nothing is ever truly dead with electronics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

its real, nothing is ever truly dead with electronics.

Tell that to my water damaged iPod :negative:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

pray to the machine god, 100110 001111000

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat that 5th palace boss kinda sucked

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I had my iPod lost in a snowbank for 2 days and it came back to life, don't give up hope.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Caesar Saladin posted:

I thought Concrete Genie was a cool game and it was nice and short with an easy platinum.

Yeah it's great, I'm surprised I didn't hear a single word about it before it was free

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah it's great, I'm surprised I didn't hear a single word about it before it was free

I brought it up a bit when it first came out, but yeah it seems to have slipped under everyone's radar. It's a great little game, and I'm glad it went on PS+ so more people could try it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re not the first person I’ve seen say they use their PS3 as largely a blu-ray machine now. Are the blu-ray capabilities especially better than with later PlayStations, or is it disc gamers not wanting to take a game out of their PS4/5 to put a movie in?

It's because people old enough to own a PS3 are the only ones old enough to still buy physical blu-rays instead of just doing what younger people do and stream the movie they are thinking of from YouTube, Amazon, or Netflix.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My flatmate used my ps3 as a blue ray player and he would constantly fall asleep while watching films and I'd often find him still asleep on the sofa with the title screen of the dvd on constant loop. Needless to say my ps3's disc drive doesn't work anymore

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

It's because people old enough to own a PS3 are the only ones old enough to still buy physical blu-rays instead of just doing what younger people do and stream the movie they are thinking of from YouTube, Amazon, or Netflix.

if youre even older than that you stream to your smart tv directly from your movie archive drive

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I've been playing persona 5 like a full time job and...I'm...starting...too....

Hai! Wakarimashita!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

konami cancelled this back in 2009 and now its coming out this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUewHj5VowU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I was literally about to post that lol. what the gently caress. I thought everyone decided it was a really terrible idea.

Whore of the Orient and Agent is going to get revealed at e3 next.

E: those games will come out if they can be used as recruitment propaganda lol at that trailer holy dooley

MechaSeinfeld fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 11, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1359882844571643907?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress offffffff

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
A survival horror game where you play as a civilian just trying to survive

Wait, didn't someone make that game and it was terrible? A game where you just sneaked around battles

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

They're also making an MGS movie starring Oscar Isaac :laffo:

I appreciate these Star Wars actors making bank while the iron is hot but no way any of these video game adaptations are gonna be good

I mean, they only stuck the landing with five out of seven Resident Evil movies no way that luck holds

I can see Oscar Isaac pulling that off but I cannot see Pedro Pascal as Joel at all, that's gonna be weird.

I thought Hugh Jackman would make a really good Joel after watching Logan. Then there's Viggo Mortensen who already played Joel in The Road :v:

veni veni veni posted:

MGS movie comes out the same weekend as the Hollywood live action Akira remake that everyone has been dreading since the mid 90s

I think they gave up on that. The last I heard was they were planning an anime series that covers all the events from the manga, since the Akira movie had to cut a lot to fit into the runtime it has.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

I remember hearing something about this back when it was cancelled, nice to see that it's finally coming out. If it's a decent first-person shooter then I'll check it out, but I'm getting strong Medal of Honor vibes from that trailer, and I hear those recent games were boring as hell.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Taking lots of money to shove out a previously-cancelled project is a time-honored DOD tradition.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah yeah I know defense contractors la la the joke's punchier with the acronym.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s funny that conservatives understand that video games can shape people’s behavior but that they attacked it on the axis of Grand Theft Auto wanting people to turn into psycho criminals and not the way more obvious axis of getting young people hyped up to join the army and kill foreigners

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Very effective marketing to focus on the villains of the game first. Hopefully we see some gameplay from the Iraqi side soon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SUNKOS posted:

I can see Oscar Isaac pulling that off but I cannot see Pedro Pascal as Joel at all, that's gonna be weird.

I thought Hugh Jackman would make a really good Joel after watching Logan. Then there's Viggo Mortensen who already played Joel in The Road :v:

I think they gave up on that. The last I heard was they were planning an anime series that covers all the events from the manga, since the Akira movie had to cut a lot to fit into the runtime it has.

Plus some of it came out after the movie too. I doubt the magic of a new Akira adaptation though. It's unlikely it'll stick with the manga for a lot of reasons, it'll probably be different and watered down a bit, or at least made with different sensibilities. Plus stylistically and impact wise it'll be tough to top that movie as an adaptation.

Other than Jojo, no 80s manga gets a direct adaptation today. Only Jojo has 80s/90s carte blanche.

I'm down with a nutty MGS movie though, that's tradition. They've gotta try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
If you can't see Oscar Isaac as Snake you must not have seen Annihilation. He can do brooding gruff war dude.