Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

posted this in the podcast thread and someone reminded me this thread was still open:

I had a long conversation last night with a friend who grew up conservative but is now sort of rethinking things in the wake of *waves hand at 2020 in general*, and one thing that came up was the history he read as a kid was all old school British-imperialist jingoism. I was thinking Radio War Nerd might be a good gateway drug for doing cool history stories from a "gently caress the British Empire" perspective; anyone have opinions on specific episodes to get started with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

StashAugustine posted:

posted this in the podcast thread and someone reminded me this thread was still open:

I had a long conversation last night with a friend who grew up conservative but is now sort of rethinking things in the wake of *waves hand at 2020 in general*, and one thing that came up was the history he read as a kid was all old school British-imperialist jingoism. I was thinking Radio War Nerd might be a good gateway drug for doing cool history stories from a "gently caress the British Empire" perspective; anyone have opinions on specific episodes to get started with?

Been a while, but I think this is the one you're looking for:
https://overcast.fm/+Tbwr6yXio

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Episode #56 abou the the Sikh Empire is also good and is a great example of how Britain carved up the world: https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-7119455

Or Episode #77 about Britain's collusion with Reactionary Islamic States: https://podcastaddict.com/episode/77635884

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Dhofar revolution episode 215 is excellent.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Can anyone name an article John once wrote about an unassuming black leader with glasses who led a violent regime? I wanna say it was in Haiti, but I can't find anything related to him with that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mobutu maybe? he wasn't very unassuming afaik

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I found him, Haitian president Francois Duvalier.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The one episode RWN did on the Thirty Years War was simply not enough. Is there a good podcast that covers it much more in depth?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Just started listening to this podcast and was wondering if there is a list of best episodes for the newbies? I really liked the Bowe Bergdahl episode and "songs of defeat" episode was nice to listen to some of while cooking. Not sure where to go from here cause there's so many eps and my podcast app doesn't show descriptions for the episodes.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The one episode RWN did on the Thirty Years War was simply not enough. Is there a good podcast that covers it much more in depth?

I actually recorded one with a few buddies about Albrecht von Wallenstein but we weren't very good and I think it's lost, but yeah more 30 years war content would be cool, it's an incredible clusterfuck

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

Just started listening to this podcast and was wondering if there is a list of best episodes for the newbies? I really liked the Bowe Bergdahl episode and "songs of defeat" episode was nice to listen to some of while cooking. Not sure where to go from here cause there's so many eps and my podcast app doesn't show descriptions for the episodes.

just read the descriptions and pick the cool topics for now. they rarely miss. if you have good headphones, you'll enjoy the guests more

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Carl Zha, Annibale and William Hogeland are all great guests.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Episode 215, about Oman. Crazy stories in there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(I really enjoyed like the 3rd Annibale episode. I had a hell of a time parsing his accent / slightly stilted English for some reason and it took a bit before my brain could do the hash table, but your mileage may vary.)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Fighting Elegy posted:

- sino vietnamese war
- cuba in angola
- the intelligence takeover of the uk media/guardian
- central african war literature
- whiskey rebellion
- nasser
- any of the carl zha ones

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
The Indonesia/Sukarno one recently was amazing too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I know you want a podcast but have you read Peter H Wilson's Europe's Tragedy? About as good an intro that complicated mess as you're going to find. It is 11 years old so dunno if the scholarship has changed much in that time

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Sci-Fi and Fascism, War Drugs

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

A Russian troll farm posted:

Sci-Fi and Fascism, War Drugs

Episodes 64 and 165 for the sci-fi and episode 52 for the drugs, all good listens.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fighting Elegy posted:

A fan favourite is the Sci-Fi episode even though it's not really like most of the other episodes on the show, Episode 64: Sci-Fi and Fascism.

Also Episode 56 about the Sikh Empire gives you a good preview of John Dolan and his views on the British Empire. Also a historical moment I had never heard about at all.

Episode 140 about the NYTimes Podcast Caliphate is pretty funny in retrospect. It takes them 90% of the episode to get through the first episode and given all the problems we now know with the podcast it's interesting to see what they already figured out.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Mar 9, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Fighting Elegy posted:

#116, The Imjin Wars, or Japan's Invasions of Korea 1592-1598, is an underrated classic. It's an incredible story for a war that I had never even heard of previously.
#174, War of the Triple Alliance, is the episode which got me hooked, and another crazy story that is essentially unheard of in the anglosphere.
The Venice series with Annibale are all great, as are the Years of Lead.
edit: also the recent 1993 Russia Coup four-parter is excellent

Ramrod Hotshot has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Mar 9, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
This latest one on Myanmar is pretty excellent. Dolan's perspective on the British Empire as "terrifying" is always an interesting one, and I always love learning about ways countries stretch far beyond the general image one has of them.

coathat
May 21, 2007

They finally have a merch store. https://radiowarnerdmerch.com/

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

shirts and skins posted:

This latest one on Myanmar is pretty excellent. Dolan's perspective on the British Empire as "terrifying" is always an interesting one, and I always love learning about ways countries stretch far beyond the general image one has of them.

I like how I went to openburma.org and got a "bandwidth exceeded" error

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
a list of Burmese militant groups is kinda like opening a paradox games save file in Microsoft word

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

a list of Burmese militant groups is kinda like opening a paradox games save file in Microsoft word

I guess the [url =http://www.openburma.org/]map[/url] would have been nice, but

don't go on a popular podcast with your half assed webhosting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1379089469140316162

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Oh my god. The episode does not do it justice.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just got done chatting with dolan about books and he's going to read The Traitor Baru Cormorant due to my blurb of it being 'a Colonial Indian enrolling in the British officer corps to bring down the empire'

Going to trick him into reading economics owned

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hope you told him the first one is enough. I just dropped the third one midway through because there was too much conspiracy nonsense and Baru feeling bad that was drowning out the interesting stuff (the Mbo and how Falcrest struggles to understand/destroy them).

The first I really liked though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm sure he's read enough books to decide if he wants to continue a series or not tbh

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm sure he's read enough books to decide if he wants to continue a series or not tbh
Yeah for sure, I just think the first is so good and has such a good ending that's not lived up to in its sequels.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just got done chatting with dolan about books and he's going to read The Traitor Baru Cormorant due to my blurb of it being 'a Colonial Indian enrolling in the British officer corps to bring down the empire'

Going to trick him into reading economics owned

hell yeah, i just read this a few months back and it's pretty great

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Who would have thought the president of Chad would die in combat. According to his Wikipedia page he also had at least four wives.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Guess that's the etymology of 'Chad', huh?

I finally reached the locked in the Italian bathroom episode and I feel so bad for John

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Guess that's the etymology of 'Chad', huh?

I finally reached the locked in the Italian bathroom episode and I feel so bad for John

The shape of the Chad's head in that meme is no accident

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bumping this thread as the latest episode was very good. Pener mentioned they might make it free, if they don't I can pm you the episode.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Bumping this thread as the latest episode was very good. Pener mentioned they might make it free, if they don't I can pm you the episode.

Which one is it? Max Blumenthal on Late-Stage Zionism?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crepeface posted:

Which one is it? Max Blumenthal on Late-Stage Zionism?

Yeah that's the one

Radio War Nerd EP 281 — Max Blumenthal on Late-Stage Zionism & Israel-Palestine Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the adl story is wild