Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sash! posted:

THE Daikatana demo!

its really the :kiss: of that sleeve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

That's an absolute banger of a game collection tbh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

The Wrath of Khan is the only original series movie to receive a non-lovely Blu-ray release. VI's is especially bad because of egregious digital noise reduction, so severe to the point that you can see the seams of Shatner's toupee application on his forehead.

At least the Blu-ray doesn't have the godawful flashbacks to the co-conspirators during Valeris' interrogation on the bridge. I remember buying the two-disc DVD when I lived in Baltimore, and I was sitting on the couch, jaw agape, when I saw that poo poo. And I thought the Colonel West Scooby Doo ending was silly...

It was incredible to me that they couldn't even bother matching the frame-rate on those inserts with the rest of the movie.

Grand Fromage posted:

Dumb but genuine question, how do you still watch things on discs? I cannot remember the last time I even saw an optical drive or a disc. When I was buying parts for my new desktop, there wasn't a single case that even had a slot where you could install a drive. Do you use an external? Are DVD players still a thing?

I got a box copy of Fallout: New Vegas in 2010 and that's probably the last time I've touched physical media. Am I the weird one?

I've got a standalone Bluray player (among other things) connected to my TV.

I've technically got an internal Bluray drive that lives in one of my old computer cases, but I have never used it for playback; I have always heard that BD playback on PC is a pure shitshow. I think I got it when I was considering burning BD discs as backups, since I used to burn binders full of DVDs, but that never materialized.

You're not the weird one. Physical media for software is pretty much dead, although I'm sure there's bizarre holdouts out there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

Oh com eon, TOS had much smoother tracking shots than that. They;re exaggerating for effect, and the effect is bad and they shouldn't do that.

I think it's some dude taking footage of a physical model, not a CGI render.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

...I think I still have this disc in my closet somewhere.

Also I saved a centerfold from PCXL way back in the day.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's an absolute banger of a game collection tbh

Seriously Wing Commander, Alone in the Dark, and X-Com? hottdamn

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Possibly the most perfect CD ever included with one of those magazines.
I still have a stack of magazine CDs hanging around here somewhere.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Finished DS9, great show. Shoutout to my boy Nog.

Up next: SPACE 'MURCA; at least based on the first few episodes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Flesh and Blood Voyager two parter really has Captain Janeway being a pyscho. She was willing to kill a bunch of sentient beings just to clean up a mess she made.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zedd posted:

Finished DS9, great show. Shoutout to my boy Nog.

Nog is one of the most complex and fully realized characters on any show ever, I'm definitely drunk right now but I'm also Objectively Correct

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nog was where they put their efforts once they ran out of ideas for Jake in season 5.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Nog was where they put their efforts once they ran out of ideas for Jake in season 5.

To be fair, at that point they must've realized they couldn't top The Visitor as far as Jake-centric stories go.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

That scene where he leaves clothes all over the room felt exaggerated, but they had to make their "Jake is messy" point somehow

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gordon Shumway posted:

To be fair, at that point they must've realized they couldn't top The Visitor as far as Jake-centric stories go.

Nor the Battle to the Strong is also really good and Lofton actually gets to do most of the acting.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I can't stop watching this....I love it so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjP6MzyNAOA

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mental Hospitality posted:

This owns, goddamn.

The TMP going-to-warp effect is timeless and amazing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a testament to how fast moving video games in the 90s were that a 5 year old game could be called a "classic".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gordon Shumway posted:

Part of it (which I guess you can also kind of blame on The Visitor) was also the fact that they couldn't bring themselves to introduce too much drama into the Jake & Ben dynamic because it was just so darn pure. Which I think was the right call on a show that was always carefully walking the line between optimism and cynicism. You still need at least one relationship with no drama. There was actually an early draft of "In the Pale Moonlight" where Jake basically played the role of Watergate reporter. But again, they just couldn't bear to do that to them. (And I'm glad they followed that instinct, because what makes ITPM so powerful is that nobody else knows about it.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gently caress yeah, from now on that's how I'll imagine what Phase II would have been.

Also it's so amazing how the TOS Enterprise seems impossible to film/render in a decent way, but the TPS Movie version is the most realistic any Enterprise has ever looked.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Man the A is the most beautiful Star Trek ship bar none

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The refit Connie is the only Trek ship I can really think of that looks beautiful from literally every angle. All of the other hero ships have a few that make them look wonky.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Senor Tron posted:

Also it's so amazing how the TOS Enterprise seems impossible to film/render in a decent way, but the TPS Movie version is the most realistic any Enterprise has ever looked.

It's easier to understand (but not easier to explain) when you see the model in person.

It's this weird combination of super detailed for models at the time while being very uncomplicated.

The art deco elements added to the refit I think help add a level of visual texture to the model that helps portray its scale better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

Man the A is the most beautiful Star Trek ship bar none

I will also accept the functionally identical Discoprise.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The_Doctor posted:

I will also accept the functionally identical Discoprise.

:chloe:

Discoprise is good despite people hating it for the nacelle pylons, but I dunno how well it compares.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zevpuCP6Es

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

:swoon:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

drat, that's nice. The Enterprise looking as if it's actually made of metal rather than being painted is something the original movies only managed in TMP (thanks, ILM!), but that captured it perfectly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

drat that's a fine-looking starship.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What's a non-Starfleet ship design people like?

I've always had a fondness for the Galor-class Cardassian ship. There's something a bit scorpiony, a bit deserty, a bit reptilian about them, and it goes with the overall snakey vibe. And they're in the shape of the Cardassian Union's symbol and I wonder which came first.

I also wonder if the Vorta have purple eyes because it matches the signature colour of the Dominion and the Founders were like 'gotta coordinate'.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

HopperUK posted:

I've always had a fondness for the Galor-class Cardassian ship. There's something a bit scorpiony, a bit deserty, a bit reptilian about them, and it goes with the overall snakey vibe. And they're in the shape of the Cardassian Union's symbol and I wonder which came first.

I also wonder if the Vorta have purple eyes because it matches the signature colour of the Dominion and the Founders were like 'gotta coordinate'.

I'm old school, I guess:
TOS Romulan warship from Balance of Terror, guess I love the livery
TOS Klingon D-7, just looked so menacing without being overdone like modern Klingon ships
TOS movies Klingon Bird of Prey, stripped down to the essentials of doom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HopperUK posted:

I always liked the little Romulan scout ship. It's a pity this thing never got much screen time; it's a beautiful model.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I want a whole series about the Romulans. They’re the best.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TOS: Klingon D7
TNG: Romulan D'Deridex
DS9: Cardassian Galor + Keldon
VOY: ???
ENT: Vulcan ships are very cool imo.
DIS: uh
PIC: poo poo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

I love them because they're clearly Triops longicaudatus which rule

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HopperUK posted:

What's a non-Starfleet ship design people like

The original Borg Cube, before it became a busy, over-designed mess starting with First Contact, was terrifying in its elegant simplicity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A single thought entered my mind with perfect clarity

Kira Nerys bursting into a room carrying a Tommy Gun, yelling "PELDOR JOY, MOTHERFUCKERS!"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Timby posted:

The original Borg Cube, before it became a busy, over-designed mess starting with First Contact, was terrifying in its elegant simplicity.

This, also because it's essentially non-aesthetic and without irrelevant aerodynamics. Square is practical for corridors, do a square. Anything else will be solved through superior technology, like defense and speed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

A single thought entered my mind with perfect clarity

Kira Nerys bursting into a room carrying a Tommy Gun, yelling "PELDOR JOY, MOTHERFUCKERS!"

Kira Nerys in Emissaries with Filthy Paghs

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Angry_Ed posted:

Kira Nerys in Emissaries with Filthy Paghs

Well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007