Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

you dont want freshwater going in your mouth untreated in general. lots of nasty stuff in there. even out in "pristine" wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Wait, the fish egg thing is bad for you? :confused:

They hatch inside you and eat their way out through your chest.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Get you summa dat beaver fever.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

punishedkissinger posted:

you dont want freshwater going in your mouth untreated in general. lots of nasty stuff in there. even out in "pristine" wilderness.
By any chance, is this also why freshwater fish aren't really eaten raw like in sashimi / sushi?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Anne Whateley posted:

There are like five thousand other ways they could die, including exposure, falling off stuff, fires, hantavirus, snakes, pumas, chopping off limbs, or just drinking untreated water or squirting fish eggs into your mouth. I don't get why bears would be the dividing line.

wouldn't that just be further reason to think it's staged?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rinkles posted:

wouldn't that just be further reason to think it's staged?

I mean I saw one lady cut the poo poo out of her hand with an axe. That didn't look staged. Why would you think it's staged? People camp in woods like that all the time. Things can go wrong and people can get hurt in lots of these kinds of reality shows.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

maybe. i don't really watch much reality tv. i'm surprised they're so cavalier with the contestants' safety, that's all.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

There are like five thousand other ways they could die, including exposure, falling off stuff, fires, hantavirus, snakes, pumas, chopping off limbs, or just drinking untreated water or squirting fish eggs into your mouth. I don't get why bears would be the dividing line.

The way that I understand poo poo like this is that it's all about everyone going in with their eyes open, understanding the risk involved and judging that the risk is worth the compensation.

I'm sure the contracts and waivers they have to sign are both voluminous and legally airtight so long as they gave them the proper equipment, made sure they had the knowledge to handle being around bears, and didn't do anything sinister like tell them they're going somewhere without bears and then airdrop them into the Yukon or some poo poo.

I don't know why this would be any different than a stunt performer, who get injured on the job all the drat time.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

More like
:ohno: :catstare:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rinkles posted:

maybe. i don't really watch much reality tv. i'm surprised they're so cavalier with the contestants' safety, that's all.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah known good people network executives

they'd bait the bears to get near the tent and kill them on camera if they thought it'd make them more money and they could get away with it

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Lol yeah, even if it looks crystal clear, it can be a bad idea unless you have no other options. This is freshwater aquarium safety 101, I still remember the day I saw a pic of a hand half-eaten by bacteria, from a guy who stuck it onto his aquarium for maintenance while having an open wound :stonk:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Outrail posted:

They hatch inside you and eat their way out through your chest.

How the hell do they survive the stomach acid? :psyduck:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

gloom posted:

By any chance, is this also why freshwater fish aren't really eaten raw like in sashimi / sushi?

that would make sense but tbh i do not know

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is a joke wrt to fish but oddly not a joke wrt cheese maggots.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

Depends where you are really. I live in Norway and my drinking water comes straight out of a river untreated.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Propaganda Machine posted:

Very carefully

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

wait, my over-imaginative, paranoid 5 year old self was right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

gloom posted:

After a few minutes of googling, it looks like the reason is that, while both fresh and saltwater fish commonly have parasites, more of the parasites in freshwater fish can survive the conditions of a human body. Also, ocean fish is now commonly frozen right after it's caught, killing off anything that could otherwise hurt you (unless it's toxins from an algal bloom or something, that isn't destroyed by cold or cooking.)

However, unagi is (supposed to be) freshwater eel, and salmon is of course anadromous, so it may be caught in its freshwater phase.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah, should have known better. Both wrt the fish and googling cheese maggots.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Rinkles posted:

I don't know if you can tell from this thread, but the people they pick aren't like randos who have gone camping twice. They pick experienced people who often do this poo poo professionally. Then they do a boot camp for a couple weeks where they teach skills and information specific to the area, go over common types of traps/structures/etc., and winnow out anyone who doesn't get it. And yeah, I'm sure they sign waivers out the rear end, the same way cooking shows aren't going to be liable when you gently caress up and cut your finger instead of a potato, and the same way Survivor has existed for like 20 years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Azathoth posted:

The way that I understand poo poo like this is that it's all about everyone going in with their eyes open, understanding the risk involved and judging that the risk is worth the compensation.

I'm sure the contracts and waivers they have to sign are both voluminous and legally airtight so long as they gave them the proper equipment, made sure they had the knowledge to handle being around bears, and didn't do anything sinister like tell them they're going somewhere without bears and then airdrop them into the Yukon or some poo poo.

I don't know why this would be any different than a stunt performer, who get injured on the job all the drat time.

I'm imagining the contestant parachuting directly into a bear's mouth.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Shellception posted:

Lol yeah, even if it looks crystal clear, it can be a bad idea unless you have no other options. This is freshwater aquarium safety 101, I still remember the day I saw a pic of a hand half-eaten by bacteria, from a guy who stuck it onto his aquarium for maintenance while having an open wound :stonk:

I don't understand. Don't antibiotics solve this problem?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for Alone, but Ultimate Survival Alaska was very staged

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Rinkles posted:

It is a lot less "reality tv" than it is "video logs of people stuck in similar lovely situations". It's all self-filmed. It's just some cold people with not much equipment trying to get enough food to eat, mostly.

They're not in any more danger than anyone else camping alone in the same area. That's more than they get performing in front of a studio audience, but still a level of risk that many people literally live their whole lives in, in first world countries (Canada).

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The reason you don’t (commonly) eat freshwater fish raw vs saltwater fish is mostly parasites. Same as pork vs beef.

Cow parasites don’t do anything to humans, versus pig ones can literally lay eggs in your brain.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
When I think of all the times I went creek swimming as a kid, I must have been extremely lucky or had a hell of an immune system

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Phy posted:

After a few minutes of googling, it looks like the reason is that, while both fresh and saltwater fish commonly have parasites, more of the parasites in freshwater fish can survive the conditions of a human body. Also, ocean fish is now commonly frozen right after it's caught, killing off anything that could otherwise hurt you (unless it's toxins from an algal bloom or something, that isn't destroyed by cold or cooking.)

However, unagi is (supposed to be) freshwater eel, and salmon is of course anadromous, so it may be caught in its freshwater phase.
Thanks for putting in the work, that makes sense. For my occasional raw fish cravings, I think I'm gonna stick to farmed salmon that's been pumped full of antibiotics just in case (I know it's an ecological disaster, sigh).

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

When I think of all the times I went creek swimming as a kid, I must have been extremely lucky or had a hell of an immune system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1kqy-bk_4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Mash posted:

I don't understand. Don't antibiotics solve this problem?

That depends on how quickly you start treatment, and which bacteria are involved. Not all bacteria are easily killed by antibiotics.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
The contestants on Alone are almost certainly safer than even people living in the same area, due to being required to carry on their person a transponder/satphone, with a recovery team no more than 1 hour away. A local in a cabin on the other side of the mountains from them would probably love to get 911 service with max 60 minute response time.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I don’t think alone is staged its often very very boring and you can tell some of the people who won were really not liked by the editors lol. I’m sure I’m naive but I think they just tell em to ham it up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It seems like there would be less producer fuckery because of the sheer mass of footage Alone produces. You can easily make anyone look hypercompetent or sympathetic or jerky just in the edit, whatever you want without needing to airdrop a crate of wolverines on them.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You’re fine, as long as you’re not gulping down the river water or in an area with lots of livestock runoff.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

theflyingexecutive posted:

to airdrop a crate of wolverines on them.

holy gently caress I'd watch that

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Am I too late for bear chat? Whatever you do, don’t just stand there to take a selfie with the bear, c’mon
https://youtu.be/ZD7zdse49q8

It’s said that this is the same bear, now in a straight up neighborhood of a huge city

https://youtu.be/SFNwrzSQ5f8

There’s lots of videos of bears invading homes in this city, i thought this was one of the funniest because they pan over to the grill cook’s face as the bear goes hog wild

https://youtu.be/HFZFIZ6XIcs

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Shellception posted:

I don't know why people default to fish as the easy pet for kids :gonk:

Goldfish in particular are some of the messiest, dirtiest fish you can own - they need almost double the tank space of every other similarly sized fish just because of all the poo poo they put out. Don't get goldfish for indoor tanks, even those really smushed up pug ones.

I had a teacher at school who claimed that he'd drink dirty water over clear water in a survival situation - his logic was that he has a rough idea of what bacteria and parasites he's risking with the dirty water, but the clear stuff could only be clear if it had something in it that killed all those things, and he'd have no idea if it could kill him too. He grew up in an industrial town so I guess chemical run-off into the water was an issue at the time?

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 12, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are places where the water is clear because it’s snow melt and it came from one kilometre up the mountain you’re hiking up or whatever.

Foregoing that to drink the closest bog water would not be a good idea.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Platystemon posted:

There are places where the water is clear because it’s snow melt and it came from one kilometre up the mountain you’re hiking up or whatever.

Foregoing that to drink the closest bog water would not be a good idea.

Yeah, I have family in Canada who get their water from a well fed by that melt and it doesn't need any treating. Maybe he just liked the taste and tried to justify it later, I dunno. Have a sip.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Goldfish in particular are some of the messiest, dirtiest fish you can own - they need almost double the tank space of every other similarly sized fish just because of all the poo poo they put out. Don't get goldfish for indoor tanks, even those really smushed up pug ones.

I had a teacher at school who claimed that he'd drink dirty water over clear water in a survival situation - his logic was that he has a rough idea of what bacteria and parasites he's risking with the dirty water, but the clear stuff could only be clear if it had something in it that killed all those things, and he'd have no idea if it could kill him too. He grew up in an industrial town so I guess chemical run-off into the water was an issue at the time?

that teacher is a dumbass and would be making GBS threads himself to death in like 1 day if he ever went hiking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pyrotoad posted:

:negative: