Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

kicks forts posted:

Ah you think Britain is your ally? You merely adopted the country. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the continent until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but foreigners!

Very, very few people on the mainland think Britain is their ally.

Frankly, very few people on the island think Britain can be trusted.

The Irish have been noticed and told that it's not their fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

bitmap posted:

leaving forever, I feel strangely ashamed to have lived here at all. parts of my mind are sliding apart from one another- I got married here, my daughter was born, I built my career and friendships with so many people I love and respect, I had my first real awful experience of being super active and comitted to a politcal project...but I think I hate this country. I think it sucks.

Good luck with the move. I've done something similar myself and I too concur that Britannia delenda est. Many people here were surprised at my vehemence towards it. I think they may be beginning to understand why now.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Scots are relatively cool and free to come hang out with us Euros anytime they manage to throw off the English yoke.

I've lost any illusions about England, though. I used to be a pretty committed Anglophile when I was younger for chrissakes, man I was dumber than a bag of bricks

barbecue at the folks has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Jun 29, 2021

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Lmfao at Anglophiles.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Anglophile is what you call an english pedophile

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
What's another name for the british isles?

Pedif Isles

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My dad was an anglophile, he used to teach english in college. It rubbed off on me as a kid but I wisened up pretty quickly.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lol @ the English who run rather than commit to destroy from within.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

namesake posted:

The English have handily destroyed themselves and the UK. The English will blame Europe and eventually will go to war with independent Scotland once it rejoins EU.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

namesake posted:

I'm not running because I'm pathetic but the only thing I can do to destroy england faster is vote tory

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kicks forts posted:

The English have handily destroyed themselves and the UK. The English will blame Europe and eventually will go to war with independent Scotland once it rejoins EU.

Yeah exactly and unless you're being the new Lenin abroad you need to be in the country when we lose that war.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Someone posted a Corbyn clip, It was physically upsetting to remember we had a labour leader who could effortlessly talk to strangers.

Are there any clips of kier starker talking to humans, because I feel like punishing myself today.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

kicks forts posted:

Are there any clips of kier starker talking to humans, because I feel like punishing myself today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJFs_Dw-Y9o

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What's the most illegal way to watch the new adam curtis doc? it sees through my VPN

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sometimes the BBC can be pretty funny with its pro-establishment stance.

Paragraph headline: UK Economy 'firing on all cylinders'

Paragraph contents: Figures released on Friday morning show the UK economy shrank by a record 9.9% in 2020.

e: And by 'record' they mean worst fall in over 300 years, specifically since 1709. Now granted there's still covid going on, but, well.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 11:48 on Feb 12, 2021

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Thank goodness the first lockdown was reserved so as to not affect businesses too badly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Private Speech posted:

Sometimes the BBC can be pretty funny with its pro-establishment stance.

Paragraph headline: UK Economy 'firing on all cylinders'

Paragraph contents: Figures released on Friday morning show the UK economy shrank by a record 9.9% in 2020.

e: And by 'record' they mean worst fall in over 300 years, specifically since 1709. Now granted there's still covid going on, but, well.

Not a lie if there are no cylinders to begin with.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bedshaped posted:

What's the most illegal way to watch the new adam curtis doc? it sees through my VPN

Most illegal? Break into his house and steal the masters I guess

The BBC's VPN detection is kind of spotty. I'm in the UK but usually forget to switch my VPN off, and sometimes it lets me watch stuff and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe try another server until you find one they haven't got blocked?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

kicks forts posted:

Someone posted a Corbyn clip, It was physically upsetting to remember we had a labour leader who could effortlessly talk to strangers.

I went canvassing with Keir Starmer in 2016 and someone tried to sell him double glazing on the doorstep

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That potential fast rebound prompted the Bank of England's chief economist to describe the economy as like a "coiled spring" ready to release large amounts of "pent-up financial energy".

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'd like to think of the British economy as like a "throbbing hard cock that's been edging for months" ready to release large amounts of "financial cum"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

please do not use the magnet link in your pm's to download the new adam curtis documentary

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

I went canvassing with Keir Starmer in 2016 and someone tried to sell him double glazing on the doorstep

drat, really? what was your in person impression of him?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

That potential fast rebound prompted the Bank of England's chief economist to describe the economy as like a "coiled spring" ready to release large amounts of "pent-up financial energy".

Note that this is another actual BBC quote.

Poe's law and all that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How is the new Curtis documentary? His one about Afghanistan blew my mind

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bitmap posted:

drat, really? what was your in person impression of him?

He's unspeakably boring

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

How is the new Curtis documentary? His one about Afghanistan blew my mind

Bitter Lake?

That one is excellent.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Does anyone know what the rules are for/good way to buy cannabis seeds in the UK? I used to buy those "souveneir" seeds from headshops but lockdown

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

kicks forts posted:

Does anyone know what the rules are for/good way to buy cannabis seeds in the UK? I used to buy those "souveneir" seeds from headshops but lockdown

One of those "legal to buy, illegal to use" things. Just buy them online, there are a load of places.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

bitmap posted:

One of those "legal to buy, illegal to use" things. Just buy them online, there are a load of places.

Cool. I should have googled but don't like it in my ISP history, also cba to switch out of awful app.

My sister gave me a Ziploc full of lovely baggie seeds but I lost it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
sorry uk goons but is your government literally trying to kill you all and/or create as many mutations in the virus as possible to make it into a de facto bioweapon?
https://www.ft.com/content/100df7f6-d79c-4382-9e39-d7f3e859bae5

quote:

With prime minister Boris Johnson preparing to set out the road map for lifting England’s Covid-19 lockdown on February 22, the scientists have warned a national discussion will soon be needed on the level of risk people are prepared to accept from the virus in the future.

“There will be a massive debate about whether we should allow a big wave of infection once we’ve vaccinated all the over-50s,” one influential member of the government’s Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) told the FT. “Are we going to aim for low prevalence or accept high prevalence for a period?”
how do you come up with this poo poo after a year has shown how unbelievably bad an idea it is. did you even forget long covid is a thing and people od not fully recover from after effects? hmm yes lets horrifically and permanently maim a subset of the population for no reason lol, number must go up!

quote:

“It’s possible you could run hot in terms of cases, and low in terms of number of hospitalisations and deaths,” he added, noting that having a high R number — which indicates the rate of transmission of the virus — would not necessarily be a bad thing if hospitalisations are low.
except that is the opposite of how things go with how loving contagious this thing is in that it inevitably drives to overwhelm any and all infrastructure without containment??

quote:

The scientists’ comments come as the Covid Recovery Group of 50-plus Tory MPs who are sceptical of lockdowns urge Johnson to set out a road map for exiting the restrictions soon, with some forecasting a “battle royal” between Conservative MPs and the government.
[...]
Mark Harper, chair of the group, urged the government to stick to its schedule to reopen the economy.

He said: “It’s crucial we don’t backslide on this, not least because the government has said it wants to give schools two weeks notice before they open, and — as the PM said — it is the ‘settled will’ of most MPs that pupils should be back in school on 8 March.”
NUMBER HAS NOT GONE UP AND IT IS UNACCEPTABLE

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mortons stork posted:

sorry uk goons but is your government literally trying to kill you all and/or create as many mutations in the virus as possible to make it into a de facto bioweapon?
https://www.ft.com/content/100df7f6-d79c-4382-9e39-d7f3e859bae5

how do you come up with this poo poo after a year has shown how unbelievably bad an idea it is. did you even forget long covid is a thing and people od not fully recover from after effects? hmm yes lets horrifically and permanently maim a subset of the population for no reason lol, number must go up!

except that is the opposite of how things go with how loving contagious this thing is in that it inevitably drives to overwhelm any and all infrastructure without containment??

NUMBER HAS NOT GONE UP AND IT IS UNACCEPTABLE

sure seems that way, yeah

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mortons stork posted:

how do you come up with this poo poo after a year has shown how unbelievably bad an idea it is.

What do you mean? None of them have suffered consequences and support for the government has risen

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
yes

the people voted for pain and brexit isn't enough

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
it is truly astonishing. where is labour. where is literally any opposition, it's mad

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The labour leadership elections got privatised and now a government rubber stamper got the job fair and square

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
People called this happening as soon as the vaccines started happening. Of course as soon as the one visible number starts going down they'd just throw the rest of us into the fire.

I wonder what their plan is if future vaccination rounds are needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brexit has stopped all Sex Arses