Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Fame Douglas posted:

Still lolling that $2000 was originally a Trump proposal.

and on top of that, Trump means tested it less

and part of Biden fulfilling the "$2000" promise is using part of the money that Trump got and you'll get berated by libs if you suggest otherwise!

It's mind bending how loving dumb it all is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Still lolling that $2000 was originally a Trump proposal.

seriously, i lmao'd so much when he made that video and the dems were blindsided and pelosi had to come out saying 'uhhmh... yeah that's great!! let's do it!! that's actually what we wanted the whole time, but he just wouldn't tell us what he was open to so we just assumed $600 was the number"

he managed to completely gently caress the democratic party's 2022/2024 prospects with a single 2 minute video, and he's probably too stupid to even realize that's what he did lmfao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the funniest part of all this is that 2k doesn't cost the dems anything but not giving it does. they simply hate poor people so much that they are willing to take the hit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
edit: double post

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why exactly does Joe Manchin, senator of one of the poorest states in the union, think his constituents don't want free money? I really don't get his opposition/reluctance at all. It doesn't seem like he's getting some bribes for West Virginia out of this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm surprised they are giving checks at all since they have 98% intra party approval and aren't just rubbing it in our faces we are getting nothing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eggplant Squire posted:

I'm surprised they are giving checks at all since they have 98% intra party approval and aren't just rubbing it in our faces we are getting nothing.

they’re not gonna cut another check for the rest of the year. open Er up

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

they’re not gonna cut another check for the rest of the year. open Er up

From a purely ends justify the means outlook why should they when their voters love them either way?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Why exactly does Joe Manchin, senator of one of the poorest states in the union, think his constituents don't want free money? I really don't get his opposition/reluctance at all. It doesn't seem like he's getting some bribes for West Virginia out of this.

He's a big coal mine CEO, he knows his constituents want free money, he doesn't want them to have it because then they'll be less desperate and harder for him to exploit.

E: same reason Capito-Moore (R-WV), who has the exact same constituents, the people of West Virginia, also insists they don't want free money, they want jobs in unregulated coal mines with no minimum wage

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Feb 12, 2021

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eggplant Squire posted:

From a purely ends justify the means outlook why should they when their voters love them either way?

oh the year of calamity has only just begun, my friend

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

yeah wv created a huge portion of americas industrial era energy wealth. its population is impoverished by design not by accident

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Fame Douglas posted:

My suspicion is Manchins voter base is chock full of folks more concerned about "the wrong people" benefitting from something than about getting assistance themselves. Not really sure though, West Virginia is weird.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

One More Fat Nerd posted:

My suspicion is Manchins voter base is chock full of folks more concerned about "the wrong people" benefitting from something than about getting assistance themselves. Not really sure though, West Virginia is weird.

Places like rural Pennsylvania or West Virginia have been living through a social and economic collapse for decades at this point. The town I grew up has the gas turned off to city hall regularly because the government can't afford to pay the bill.

All this dysfunctional poo poo that's new to us has been their reality for a very long time at this point and they're used to dealing with it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Driving in WV is wild. Thanks to Byrd being able to play the senate rules like a fiddle the federal highways are some of the best and well maintained in the country but everything around them is stuck in obvious grinding poverty.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Places like rural Pennsylvania or West Virginia have been living through a social and economic collapse for decades at this point. The town I grew up has the gas turned off to city hall regularly because the government can't afford to pay the bill.

All this dysfunctional poo poo that's new to us has been their reality for a very long time at this point and they're used to dealing with it.

Are the people in actual grinding poverty or are they just unwilling to pay taxes? I know a lot of "poor people" making hundreds of thousands a year in cash livestock etc business

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

Are the people in actual grinding poverty or are they just unwilling to pay taxes? I know a lot of "poor people" making hundreds of thousands a year in cash livestock etc business

drat I wish I was that poor

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SchnorkIes posted:

From the Wikipedia page for the town I grew up in:

quote:

The median income for a household in the city was $20,173, and the median income for a family was $30,038. Males had a median income of $28,261 versus $19,120 for females. The per capita income was $12,354. About 19.3% of families and 60.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.2% of those under age 18 and 21.3% of those age 65 or over.

We couldn't afford a washer or a dryer growing up so I got used to washing my clothes in the sink the night before school and hanging them on radiators to dry.

The collapse that's happening now is old hat for rural America.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SchnorkIes posted:

you mean you know a lot of rich and miserly people who are unwilling to pay taxes

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Fame Douglas posted:

he wants them to die, OP

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Could it be decades of capitalist exploitation and oppression beating the people down and entrenching political power within a cabal of wealthy elites?

No, it must be that the people are evil racists, probably secretly rich anyway, and most certainly deserve every ounce of suffering I’ve wished upon them fate has dealt out to them.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

you mean you know a lot of rich and miserly people who are unwilling to pay taxes

Yeah, but on paper, and on the kind of income figures cited, they're poor, but they're moving paper bags full of cash for all manner of scheme

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

not only this, but he is insisting on creating a bloc of voters millions strong that would've gotten two checks under Trump but zero under Biden, even though the pitch for 1400 is that it's fulfilling the 2k promise lol

he's pursuing this and the Dem loyalists are defending it because they are born losers with poo poo for brains when it comes to anything politically that isn't attacking their left

If we're extremely lucky it will only be the 15/hr wage increase that gets tossed in the dumpster to get Republican support, only for them to not vote for it anyway

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

not only this, but he is insisting on creating a bloc of voters millions strong that would've gotten two checks under Trump but zero under Biden, even though the pitch for 1400 is that it's fulfilling the 2k promise lol

he's pursuing this and the Dem loyalists are defending it because they are born losers with poo poo for brains when it comes to anything politically that isn't attacking their left

If we're extremely lucky it will only be the 15/hr wage increase that gets tossed in the dumpster to get Republican support, only for them to not vote for it anyway

Manchin doesn't want the $15/hr minimum wage either so that's already off the table lmao

Joe "I want my constituents to have low wages and no stimulus money" Manchin, but hey we've gotta support that guy because theres no way west virginia could ever elect anybody better than him!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Manchin doesn't want the $15/hr minimum wage either so that's already off the table lmao

Joe "I want my constituents to have low wages and no stimulus money" Manchin, but hey we've gotta support that guy because theres no way west virginia could ever elect anybody better than him!!!!

"Look, if it isn't him it'll be a Republican who votes for 0% of good things instead of 1%!" I say, regarding a seat that has been held by a Democrat for decades and decades and the sample size of Dem Senators pushing for progressive things in WV and being punished as a result is exactly 0

We really need one of the left leaning Senators to go rogue like Manchin from the other direction, I bet leadership would suddenly find some tools in their toolkit to deal with people trying to tank their legislation then

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/c_w_d101/status/1360278057366478848

lol "biden lied BUT"

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SchnorkIes posted:

SchnorkIes posted:

Yeah, but on paper, and on the kind of income figures cited, they're poor, but they're moving paper bags full of cash for all manner of scheme

...are you running for a position within the DNC on their very popular "poors don't exist, anyone claiming to be poor is a lying rear end in a top hat who actually has 100k in reserve which is why we must means test everything before giving no one anything" platform??

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Oh I didn't know we were cool with 'welfare moms with cadillacs' tropes in this forum

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

"Look, if it isn't him it'll be a Republican who votes for 0% of good things instead of 1%!" I say, regarding a seat that has been held by a Democrat for decades and decades and the sample size of Dem Senators pushing for progressive things in WV and being punished as a result is exactly 0

We really need one of the left leaning Senators to go rogue like Manchin from the other direction, I bet leadership would suddenly find some tools in their toolkit to deal with people trying to tank their legislation then

They'll show that senator the footage of the JFK assassination from an angle no one's publicly seen before and that'll be it.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

stellers bae posted:

Oh I didn't know we were cool with 'welfare moms with cadillacs' tropes in this forum

Rural white chuds who play poor but are running cash businesses where the czar is far away is a very different demographic, in that it actually exists

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

SchnorkIes posted:

Rural white chuds who play poor but are running cash businesses where the czar is far away is a very different demographic, in that it actually exists

lol okay buddy

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

SchnorkIes posted:

I've known folks like that living in the rural south. One was a friends dad who didnt pay any taxes, including payroll taxes, on his electrician contracting company for around 20 years. The IRS came down on him hard, he bought an 80,000 dollar truck, (possibly some kind of money-sink idea?) declared bankruptcy, and died of a heart attack within a month. His kids were pretty well hosed over too.

There's no way theres enough ppl like that to be a demographic of any size though.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's a thing but it's also pointless to bring up, especially apropos of nothing

also it comes across as lovely because jfc dude even a cursory amount of trying to understand the demographics of wv/appalachia tells you that for every dickhole small business tyrant whose gimmick is taking ag subsidy and abusing migrant workers there are like 5+ more people getting totally fuckin economically shafted (referring to fake-schnork's original "but are they truly poor?" post)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

also it comes across as lovely because jfc dude even a cursory amount of trying to understand the demographics of wv/appalachia tells you that for every dickhole small business tyrant whose gimmick is taking ag subsidy and abusing migrant workers there are like 5+ more people getting totally fuckin economically shafted (referring to fake-schnork's original "but are they truly poor?" post)
It's the same tone deaf bullshit of going "lol economic anxiety amirite!" pointing to suburban truck dealers while ignoring the rural poor

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Idpol has been a massive success in respect to destroying class consciousness

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Tempora Mutantur posted:

'it's a thing' about as much as all the poor people in the ghetto are actually drug dealers, which is to say, gently caress you

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SchnorkIes posted:

inasmuch as those people exist they are all hardcore trumpers. those are the people who stormed the capitol.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

numerrik posted:

I forget who said it, but I remember a quote from years ago, that went something like “America is a one party state, but in typical American decadence, they have two of them.”

"The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them." -Julius Nyerere, President of Tanzania, an extremely good quote

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tanzanice.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Idpol has been a massive success in respect to destroying class consciousness

it completely destroyed occupy and that first week after the Floyd killing when 70% of people said "yeah maybe we need to loving disarm the police" and people from every racial background thought they were right to burn that precinct down turned into vice president kopmala because of the ensuing "frank discussions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

During the past few years strong movements have developed among women and among homosexuals seeking their liberation. There has been some uncertainty about how to relate to these movements.

Whatever your personal opinions and your insecurities about homosexuality and the various liberation movements among homosexuals and women (and I speak of the homosexuals and women as oppressed groups), we should try to unite with them in a revolutionary fashion. I say “whatever your insecurities are” because as we very well know, sometimes our first instinct is to want to hit a homosexual in the mouth and want a woman to be quiet. We want to hit a homosexual in the mouth because we are afraid that we might be homosexual; and we want to hit the woman or shut her up because we are afraid that she might castrate us or take the nuts that we might not have to start with.

We must gain security in ourselves and therefore have respect and feelings for all oppressed people. We must not use the racist attitude that the White racists use against our people because they are Black and poor. Many times the poorest White person is the most racist because he is afraid that he might lose something, or discover something that he does not have. So you’re some kind of a threat to him. This kind of psychology is in operation when we view oppressed people and we are angry with them because of their particular kind of behavior, or their particular kind of deviation from the established norm.

Remember, we have not established a revolutionary value system; we are only in the process of establishing it. I do not remember our ever constituting any value that said that a revolutionary must say offensive things towards homosexuals, or that a revolutionary should make sure that women do not speak out about their own particular kind of oppression. As a matter of fact, it is just the opposite: we say that we recognize the women’s right to be free. We have not said much about the homosexual at all, but we must relate to the homosexual movement because it is a real thing. And I know through reading, and through my life experience and observations that homosexuals are not given freedom and liberty by anyone in the society. They might be the most oppressed people in the society.

And what made them homosexual? Perhaps it’s a phenomenon that I don’t understand entirely. Some people say that it is the decadence of capitalism. I don’t know if that is the case; I rather doubt it. But whatever the case is, we know that homosexuality is a fact that exists, and we must understand it in its purest form: that is, a person should have the freedom to use his body in whatever way he wants.

That is not endorsing things in homosexuality that we wouldn’t view as revolutionary. But there is nothing to say that a homosexual cannot also be a revolutionary. And maybe I’m now injecting some of my prejudice by saying that “even a homosexual can be a revolutionary.” Quite the contrary, maybe a homosexual could be the most revolutionary.

https://www.blackpast.org/african-a...tion-movements/