Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It was pretty clear that Hayward didn't think Vision could get out. Project Cataract was also a good name I haven't seen mentioned much. Presumably something to do with covering up Vision, it is to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

On other topics: Did Darcy ping anyone else's radar tonight? I think it's just that I'm too keyed into this being a mystery box show where any mistakes are deliberate clues, but "expert astrophysicist, super-hacker who can get through top-secret government firewalls with a laptop, and also is medical doctor too" was just... come the gently caress on. I'll accept that omni-capable poo poo from the people I'm told are super-geniuses, but Darcy's supposed to be a normal person. I'm pretty sure it is actually just lazy writing and not a clue and I'll just have to nod my head and agree that all forms of being Smart are basically interchangable as the price of admission, but to repeat myself, come the gently caress on.

How dare you doubt Kat Dennings scientific qualifications.

Actually, that would be loving awesome if Kat Dennings becomes the equivalent of Reed Richards, super smart in every single field and only needs to ask other scientists for info because they don't want to spend the whole weekend learning a completely new field of study.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think Darcy's meant to be an MD, more that she can read the actual doctor's report to Hayward which was probably translated from doctor-to-jarhead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If she spend the Snap hanging out with Dr Selvig, she could've picked up a thing or two. I mean, he MacGyver'd some poo poo to help save the world from the Convergence.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
In interviews Dennings has implied she wasn't given much solid background on Darcy so she's operating under "I've been going to college since Thor 2 and didn't blip". Also I didn't think they were implying she was a medical doctor at any point, but maybe I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was funny how the opening made sure to use footage from AoU to remind that this is not MCU Pietro.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Davros1 posted:

If she spend the Snap hanging out with Dr Selvig, she could've picked up a thing or two. I mean, he MacGyver'd some poo poo to help save the world from the Convergence.

Iirc Selvig got snapped, but I could be misremembering that scene in Endgame.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

howe_sam posted:

Iirc Selvig got snapped, but I could be misremembering that scene in Endgame.

If he blipped there's gotta be a ton of equally or almost as brilliant of professors that would have loved to get one of his assistants to be their assistants.

But yeah, the scene with Darcy talking about Monica's blood results seemed more like she was reading the results from an actual medical doctor, not being an actual medical doctor.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
where was the part where it was said she's an MD

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I could see "Well I'm not that kind of a doctor but your blood is lasers now" as the sort of thing that could be just left unsaid there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, she didn’t pull up an executive summary of the blood work, she pulled up the results themselves complete with fancy close-up cellular analysis comparisons. She wasn’t saying “this says your blood work is bad”, she was saying “look, here’s your blood work, which I can understand to be showing bad results”. Maybe I’m just snapping at air because MCU things run on StarkOS and its defining feature is over-fancy graphic displays of everything, this isn’t a hill I care to die on.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm going to go out on a slight limb and say that Wanda's the one doing it.

I bet the 'twist' is going to be revealing that Agnes is Agatha and she and some big, mystic bad like Nightmare or Mephisto started influencing Wanda, only for Wanda to subconsciously realise what she's capable of and rewrite and trap everyone in Westview so she can have her family back.

Like I bet Agatha set the ball rolling and then couldn't do anything to stop it once Wanda took the reins.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm totally fine with Darcy being an MD, to me the scene read like she was told the results by a doctor and is relaying that back to Monica, but Kat Dennings being the smartest person in the Marvel universe now that Tony Stark is dead is something I'm completely on board with.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Regarding the mystery engineer:

WOO: So we need to get in, find Vision, and get him out again without Wanda noticing our presence. I think I know just the guy. I'll just make some calls...

MONICA: My engineer's here!

*is Scott Lang*

Alternate:
It's really really implied that it's Reed Richards, turns out to be Adam Brashear

Alternate Altername:
It's really really implied that it's Reed Richards, turns out to be Victor Von Doom

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Shirkelton posted:

I'm going to go out on a slight limb and say that Wanda's the one doing it.

I bet the 'twist' is going to be revealing that Agnes is Agatha and she and some big, mystic bad like Nightmare or Mephisto started influencing Wanda, only for Wanda to subconsciously realise what she's capable of and rewrite and trap everyone in Westview so she can have her family back.

Like I bet Agatha set the ball rolling and then couldn't do anything to stop it once Wanda took the reins.

Yeah I could see this, especially since she moved the wall and since Agnes' scene seemed pretty genuine though that could be a misdirection.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sesq posted:

Regarding the mystery engineer:

WOO: So we need to get in, find Vision, and get him out again without Wanda noticing our presence. I think I know just the guy. I'll just make some calls...

MONICA: My engineer's here!

*is Scott Lang*

Alternate:
It's really really implied that it's Reed Richards, turns out to be Adam Brashear

Alternate Altername:
It's really really implied that it's Reed Richards, turns out to be Victor Von Doom

It would be cool as hell if they introduced brashear

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I got a good kick out of

Wanda: What happened to your accent?

Pietro: What happened to yours?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'm totally fine with Darcy being an MD, to me the scene read like she was told the results by a doctor and is relaying that back to Monica, but Kat Dennings being the smartest person in the Marvel universe now that Tony Stark is dead is something I'm completely on board with.

Stark wasn't even the smartest person when he was alive. Darcy can get in line behind Shuri with everyone else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

theironjef posted:

Stark wasn't even the smartest person when he was alive. Darcy can get in line behind Shuri with everyone else.

Pretty sure Darcy knows slightly more about vaccines than Shuri.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So, another thought: Vision wears his costume because it's literally the only clothing he owns this week (although this matters to a shapeshifter... why, exactly?) and because Wanda has a fetish for luchadors, ha ha, wink wink, wink nod. And Wanda wears hers because it's a traditional Sokovian fortuneteller's outfit, sure it is, nudge nudge, knowing laugh. Those are the given reasons within the sitcom. And Pietro, Billy, and Tommy wear theirs for absolutely no stated reason whatsoever.

The question that's bugging me is, what's the actual reason? From the MCU perspective, these are not their traditional costumes. None of these characters are aware that there are other incarnations of themselves who either wear or once wore outfits that looked similar to what they dressed up as for Halloween. Who has that knowledge? We're being winked at. Who's winking? Who's breaking two sets of fourth walls to thrill an audience they shouldn't know is watching? I swear, it halfway seems like the sitcom itself is at least semi-sentient at this point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CapnAndy posted:

And Pietro, Billy, and Tommy wear theirs for absolutely no stated reason whatsoever.
Pietro and Billy just half-assed a costume and Tommy was already in a handmade costume because it's Halloween!

I did like that the costumes were appropriately early 90s junky instead of textured/silkscreened fabric with muscle padding. I would have killed for one of those Plastic Mask/Plastic Shmoc dealies in a shot somewhere.

The classic costumes appearing is just a wink to the audience, same as "You'd prefer yellow spandex?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

So, another thought: Vision wears his costume because it's literally the only clothing he owns this week (although this matters to a shapeshifter... why, exactly?) and because Wanda has a fetish for luchadors, ha ha, wink wink, wink nod. And Wanda wears hers because it's a traditional Sokovian fortuneteller's outfit, sure it is, nudge nudge, knowing laugh. Those are the given reasons within the sitcom. And Pietro, Billy, and Tommy wear theirs for absolutely no stated reason whatsoever.

The question that's bugging me is, what's the actual reason? From the MCU perspective, these are not their traditional costumes. None of these characters are aware that there are other incarnations of themselves who either wear or once wore outfits that looked similar to what they dressed up as for Halloween. Who has that knowledge? We're being winked at. Who's winking? Who's breaking two sets of fourth walls to thrill an audience they shouldn't know is watching? I swear, it halfway seems like the sitcom itself is at least semi-sentient at this point.

at a meta level Pietro's costume is the traditional Quicksilver costume from when him, Scarlet Witch and Vision were all on The Avengers together.

Also Vision's "costume" is absolutely not a luchador costume, they always wore full face masks, they didn't paint their face outside of maybe some eyeliner.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

at a meta level Pietro's costume is the traditional Quicksilver costume from when him, Scarlet Witch and Vision were all on The Avengers together.

Also Vision's "costume" is absolutely not a luchador costume, they always wore full face masks, they didn't paint their face outside of maybe some eyeliner.

not every luchador is an enmascarado. there are a lot that wear facepaint, like the clown Pagano, or Chessman.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

not every luchador is an enmascarado. there are a lot that wear facepaint, like the Clowns, or Chessman.

I'm not an expert on luchadors, but I watched a bunch of the films and they'd have wrestlers in business suits wearing the full face mask because the mask was the identity. But if face paint was also a large part of it it I will defer to your expertise.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I'm not an expert on luchadors, but I watched a bunch of the films and they'd have wrestlers in business suits wearing the full face mask because the mask was the identity. But if face paint was also a large part of it it I will defer to your expertise.

you saw El Santo and/or Mil Mascaras movies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

you saw El Santo and/or Mil Mascaras movies

Probably. What other movies should I watch, those were pretty awesome.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Probably. What other movies should I watch, those were pretty awesome.

did you see Mil Mascaras vs The Aztec Mummy

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CapnAndy posted:

yeah, it doesn't make much sense if you think about it, but just roll with it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

did you see Mil Mascaras vs The Aztec Mummy

Probably not, It was my roommate who was into them more and they weren't contemporary and I'm pretty sure it was before 2007 we were watching them. This was all through Netflix, when Netflix only sent you dvds in the mail.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure Darcy knows slightly more about vaccines than Shuri.

Empty quote

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I want the aerospace engineer to be a guy in a red, white and blue football uniform with the NFL logo on the chest. And it's never brought up.

Woo: Your friend is good.

Monica: He's a professional.

Woo: Super professional.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

FilthyImp posted:

Pietro and Billy just half-assed a costume and Tommy was already in a handmade costume because it's Halloween!

"I'm Tommy!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The aerospace engineer, in a shocking twist, is Slapstick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anyway I know that everyone doesn't want Mephisto or whatever but right now I'm operating at 420% certainty that "Pietro" is gonna turn out to be Mephisto, and Evan Peters is gonna end up playing him in the MCU going forward. All of Pietro's lines just make so much more sense if you imagine him as a smarmy, free-wheeling trickster devil character who's enjoying the chaos and discord all this is sowing, is provoking Wanda to go even further with it ("I'm impressed!"), and is developing a notable relationship with her kids.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I wish studios were still making movies where a man in a business suit and luchador mask can go about his day without remark from anyone on his way to fight Frankenstein and Satan in a wrestling ring for some reason

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BrianWilly posted:

Anyway I know that everyone doesn't want Mephisto or whatever but right now I'm operating at 420% certainty that "Pietro" is gonna turn out to be Mephisto, and Evan Peters is gonna end up playing him in the MCU going forward. All of Pietro's lines just make so much more sense if you imagine him as a smarmy, free-wheeling trickster devil character who's enjoying the chaos and discord all this is sowing, is provoking Wanda to go even further with it ("I'm impressed!"), and is developing a notable relationship with her kids.

This was exactly what I was thinking.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, she didn’t pull up an executive summary of the blood work, she pulled up the results themselves complete with fancy close-up cellular analysis comparisons. She wasn’t saying “this says your blood work is bad”, she was saying “look, here’s your blood work, which I can understand to be showing bad results”. Maybe I’m just snapping at air because MCU things run on StarkOS and its defining feature is over-fancy graphic displays of everything, this isn’t a hill I care to die on.

Test results usually come along with the expected ranges for biochem/haematology results (with outliers highlighted, even) and microbiological, pathological and genetic tests come with interpretations from the authorising scientists, doctors aren't expected to know all that stuff by heart, just to interpret the results' relevance in relation to the patient's history.

I know it's not a normal hospital setting but I can buy a reasonably intelligent person being able to look at her results and get that something is hosed even if they can't diagnose her with Parker Radiogenic Superpower Syndrome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I wish studios were still making movies where a man in a business suit and luchador mask can go about his day without remark from anyone on his way to fight Frankenstein and Satan in a wrestling ring for some reason

You and me both, brother.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
All I really want is a reasonable explanation for the changed face. It doesn't have to turn out to be Fox Quicksilver, but it'd be pretty dumb if it was, like, Mephisto going "oh I can rewrite reality but I don't have the power to change my face so I just put on a wig and hoped you'd fall for my impersonation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

"I'm Tommy!"

Yeah? He's in costume as the cool twin, what's the problem?