Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
should just go the other way and tentacle eugeo or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My favorite Reki retrospective was the part where he said he based Kirito on the experience of meeting a high level player when he was in a low level zone, and being awed by how powerful this player was. To which I can only imagine him playing Ragnarok Online and seeing someone with a promoted job running through a lowbie area and making all the slimes explode in their wake. This is when young Reki fell in love with Kirito.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

oh no

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just finished Hyouka, the very beginning felt a bit slow (I went in with no idea of what the show was about, just that people recommended it constantly) but the school festival and amateur movie arcs were amazing. The show does a lot of really cool character work, the animation and the directing is great as well. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I'm currently watching Yuru Camp and oh my god, the pine cones speak :kimchi:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sao being written in 2002 makes the vrmmo stuff really funny because wow didnt even exist yet so this man was going off like, ultimate, ragnarok, and everquest

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
stuck in an mmo where there's nothing to do except kill porings

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

sao being written in 2002 makes the vrmmo stuff really funny because wow didnt even exist yet so this man was going off like, ultimate, ragnarok, and everquest

It reminds me how one of the weirder criticisms I see online are people complaining about the mechanics of the first VRMMO being bad/simple when they've had a decade since SAO was written of being spoiled by newer MMOs such as WoW or MMO's trying all desperately to be the next "WoW Killer".

But like in actual context I think it even makes sense, you're launching a brand new revolutionary console, the game development SDKs and engines for it probably all have to start from scratch, you're under tremendous pressure as a studio to have a working and functional game ready for launch. The incentive is probably in a way analogous to early VR headset games is probably going to be on games that double down on the immersion aspects and not the actual mechanics of the game. Hence Alfeim and Gungale actually pushing where the mechanics are at.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

coincidentally, with sao starting in late 2002, guess what aired in early 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWXPM0xx2c

OP still slaps 20 years later. I just wish the anime itself were more than a glorified opening cutscene for the video games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

It reminds me how one of the weirder criticisms I see online are people complaining about the mechanics of the first VRMMO being bad/simple when they've had a decade since SAO was written of being spoiled by newer MMOs such as WoW or MMO's trying all desperately to be the next "WoW Killer".

But like in actual context I think it even makes sense, you're launching a brand new revolutionary console, the game development SDKs and engines for it probably all have to start from scratch, you're under tremendous pressure as a studio to have a working and functional game ready for launch. The incentive is probably in a way analogous to early VR headset games is probably going to be on games that double down on the immersion aspects and not the actual mechanics of the game. Hence Alfeim and Gungale actually pushing where the mechanics are at.
plus the director was planning to trap and murder a bunch of nerds from the beginning, the mechanics were probably designed with a literally captive audience playing 24 hours a day in mind

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

SAO's in a very weird place that explains this. Reki Kawahara started writing it in high school, and started to publish it online when he was in college, and then afterwards. 2002-2008. It was somewhat popular but not especially so, but after it finished Reki approached Dengeki Bunko with the idea for a new series and pointed to the web novel as proof he could sustain a popular long running story, so it was published. This work was Accel World. Accel World was pretty popular for a debut LN, but Reki wasn't an especially fast writer, so when Dengeki Bunko asked him for more stuff, he decided they could publish SAO as a proper light novel. The story was edited somewhat, and new art was added as opposed to Reki's original scribbles, but the structure of the story is basically the same. SAO, naturally, exploded massively in popularity and quickly received a massively popular anime. The anime makes some mild-moderate changes, but again, the basic structure of the story and the roles characters have in it are the same.

So you have a situation where a writer is being judged primarily by stuff he wrote 12-19 years ago, because it's being presented as an ongoing, new story. If you look at more recent stuff Reki's written, like the Progressive novels or the SAO movie, it's not perfect, but they make efforts to give the female characters more to do and never rely on sexual assault for drama. (And they're generally better written as a whole.) So that's why Reki can say 'I was kind of stupid to write it this way,' while Alicazation continues to somewhat be written that way, because it was actually written over a decade ago.

Of course, he could have asked the anime or LN to make more drastic changes, but he probably only came to some of these realizations upon seeing the scenes replayed over and over and hearing criticism of them as they reached a more mainstream audience, and by that point it was a bit late to make sweeping changes.

That makes sense. I knew the original SAO was kinda old, but not that the other stuff that came after was, too. I'd assumed that only came after SAO had gotten popular.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

That makes sense. I knew the original SAO was kinda old, but not that the other stuff that came after was, too. I'd assumed that only came after SAO had gotten popular.
it kind of did, in the sense that kawahara blatantly only had the aincrad arc in mind and wrote the later stuff in a rush because he was riding the high of being somewhat popular in a niche corner of the internet. you can see the signs of that all over, like the hasty justifications for more mmo adventures. but yeah, he wrote up to the end of the alicazation arc ages ago. if they make stuff set after that, that'll be the stuff reki wrote recently.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endorph posted:

coincidentally, with sao starting in late 2002, guess what aired in early 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWXPM0xx2c
Timed
By
Killshock

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Hockey exists to torture me. Someone give me some comfort anime.

how bad are we

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

can't believe that sao is good now. time to watch it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

can't believe that sao is good now. time to watch it

the movie unironically rules

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feeling my soul die cause i wanted to watch the occultic nine opening cause i like ishihama's other ops but every youtube upload is loving interpolated to 60fps and it looks like poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

more frames equals more quality baby!!!!!!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

you love to see it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

more frames equals more quality baby!!!!!!!!

I need my anime to be 60 fps so my inputs are more accurate.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

feeling my soul die cause i wanted to watch the occultic nine opening cause i like ishihama's other ops but every youtube upload is loving interpolated to 60fps and it looks like poo poo
we solved this problem in the occulterg cut

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arist posted:

you love to see it

If you use a lower setting you won't get the artifacting.

The biggest problem with motion interpolation is that it's basically optimized for panning and nothing else; going into or out of the screen looks really lovely.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I like that colouring style

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I like that colouring style

it's good

the artist for this game (oshirabu) did a vn with the writer of flowers, curse of kudan, which recently got translated. i'm looking forward to reading that

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aurora posted:

how bad are we

The team is a tire fire in a dumpster fire division, so probably making the playoffs this year :lol:. The PP and PK are good for the first time in 10 years and Lankinen could pan out into a Crawford 2.0 though so its still fun to watch. Last night they gave up 4 or 5 goals in the 3rd to lose 6-5 to Columbus though which is why I wanted something comfy to watch.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I seriously cant wait for that hockey anime. :stoked:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

I seriously cant wait for that hockey anime. :stoked:

someone is making hockey anime???

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

someone is making hockey anime???

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/12/11/girls-ice-hockey-themed-project-puraore-pride-of-orange-gets-tv-anime-in-fall-2021

:gritin:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

what the gently caress is this

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ice hockey?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a girl holding a hockey stick, op

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

a girl holding a hockey stick, op

ouch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a rare in a hockey gacha game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

tbh the game seems to be going more for the bandori/love live/shiny colors style where its all the same characters at different rarities

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

it's like looking at someone holding a baseball bat upside down

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
you got my hopes up there would be hockey anime