Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

Trump infamously used a personal cellphone for business so it is likely there is no transcript.

Actually won't be surprised if that makes a transcript more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Having a former President sit before Congress and plead the fifth dozens of times for basic questions would be quite the sight for the world.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

eke out posted:

yes, you would be wrong if you thought it only applies to criminal trials

absolutely not

Ok then. I admit to being a big dumb idiot.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

he can be compelled to testify, he just can't be compelled to answer any particular question. 5th Amendment right has to be invoked on a question by question basis. Not everything he could testify to would necessarily be self-incriminating.

yes, and this is such a huge pain in the rear end and waste of time that it's widely understood there is no point doing this, especially considering he would refuse and we'd spend weeks and then months in contempt proceedings

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1360618433801502721

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1360619582009008131

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Getting Trump in will be a real perjury trap. And I mean "pejury trap" the way republicans do: having a pathological liar answer basic things under oath that there would be no reason to lie about.

I recognize that they might not call Trump, but Trump's own defense team has made a very strong case that Trump needs to be deposed so I think they'll still do it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

So wait, am I being mad here...

If the Republicans would have held this while Trump was still in power like they could have... Wouldn't they have had the majority in the senate to win the vote they just lost?

Asking because I like schadenfreude and seeing things backfire on bad people.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thom12255 posted:

Trump infamously used a personal cellphone for business so it is likely there is no transcript.
Third impeachment of Donald J. Trump for violating the Presidential Records Act.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/Santucci/status/1360619527525052419

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eke out posted:

yes, and this is such a huge pain in the rear end and waste of time that it's widely understood there is no point doing this, especially considering he would refuse and we'd spend weeks and then months in contempt proceedings

They already brought up the negative inference rule, so Trump's refusal to answer any questions could be useful to them.

Calling him knowing it would be a shitshow of him trying to dodge testifying would be the whole point of it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol, and also, lmao

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1360619448697294862

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Getting Trump in will be a real perjury trap. And I mean "pejury trap" the way republicans do: having a pathological liar answer basic things under oath that there would be no reason to lie about.
"State your name for the record."

*in a fake mustache* "John Barron"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

Having a former President sit before Congress and plead the fifth dozens of times for basic questions would be quite the sight for the world.

Honestly? Trump is not smart enough to shutup when he needs to. And he thinks he knows more than his lawyers. He will totally perjure himself.

He's done this again and again, and when cameras are on him, he talks even more.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

all of the whining is definitely proof it was the right choice lol

Deteriorata posted:

They already brought up the negative inference rule, so Trump's refusal to answer any questions could be useful to them.

Calling him knowing it would be a shitshow of him trying to dodge testifying would be the whole point of it.

it's not actually useful because it shuts down the senate for months and trump refusing to testify does not change a single republican's vote

you can pretend that the negative inference thing matters, like Raskin has tried to, but it simply does not because no trumpist republican will ever do it and all democrats are already with you

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

eke out posted:

I can't imagine Trump would keep to the script for hours of questioning. He would crack at some point.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

True, but these motherfuckers could be stunned and stupefied by their own fuckin' shadow.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

probably meant to say 9/11, not 911

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1360620326443495428

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

I can't imagine Trump would keep to the script for hours of questioning. He would crack at some point.

there would never be hours of questioning

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

eke out posted:

it's not actually useful because it shuts down the senate for months and trump refusing to testify does not change a single republican's vote

you can pretend that the negative inference thing matters, like Raskin has tried to, but it simply does not because no trumpist republican will ever do it and all democrats are already with you

Where are you getting this 'shut down the Senate' from? In 1999, the trial was suspended while managers interviewed people, and the Senate went back to normal business in the meantime until the managers were ready to come back and present the new evidence from the witnesses. The longer this drags out, the more damaging to the Senators up for election in 2022.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/Santucci/status/1360620535101739010

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Where are you getting this 'shut down the Senate' from? In 1999, the trial was suspended while managers interviewed people, and the Senate went back to normal business in the meantime until the managers were ready to come back and present the new evidence from the witnesses.

unanimous consent is required for the senate to return to regular business in the meantime

in Clinton the depositions took a week. what you are responding to is me saying that some attempt to hold trump in contempt would take months

i fully expect McConnell to deny unanimous consent for the days that whatever witnesses we do get takes, that's the cost of doing what we want here, and i'm fine with it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

eke out posted:

it's not actually useful because it shuts down the senate for months and trump refusing to testify does not change a single republican's voteou

It's not going to shut down the senate for even a day; they're doing the regular business during the morning and impeachment in the afternoon during the trial and they can continue with regular business while witnesses are being worked.

Second, Trump doesn't have a friendly senate or a DoJ that he controls to shield him. They'll give him some leeway (like two weeks) and then send over marshals to make him testify.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

eke out posted:

all of the whining is definitely proof it was the right choice lol

They've already said they'd suspend the trial, do depositions by Zoom, and reconvene when they were ready. Senate business would proceed as normal in the meantime. It's what they did with Clinton - paused the trial for evidence gathering.

So calling Trump would be exclusively for the spectacle of it with no other downside. The jury here is posterity, not the Republican party. They may decide it's not worth it, but shutting down the Senate in the meantime is not a problem.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

a meaningless answer, you can do whatever you want

he won't be subpoenaed because the 5th amendment clearly shields him from being compelled to testify

But this whole thing has been operating under the assumption that conviction wasn't going to happen and was more about pressing the case politically.

Having Trump repeatedly take the fifth absolutely advances that goal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

It's not going to shut down the senate for even a day; they're doing the regular business during the morning and impeachment in the afternoon during the trial and they can continue with regular business while witnesses are being worked.

Second, Trump doesn't have a friendly senate or a DoJ that he controls to shield him. They'll give him some leeway (like two weeks) and then send over marshals to make him testify.

Deteriorata posted:

They've already said they'd suspend the trial, do depositions by Zoom, and reconvene when they were ready. Senate business would proceed as normal in the meantime. It's what they did with Clinton - paused the trial for evidence gathering.

So calling Trump would be exclusively for the spectacle of it with no other downside. The jury here is posterity, not the Republican party. They may decide it's not worth it, but shutting down the Senate in the meantime is not a problem.

google unanimous consent and ask yourself whether Mitch and every member of his caucus is suddenly going to be amenable to allowing other business to continue

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Now these lawyers will have to do a poor job for an even longer time without pay. It's beautiful.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Sinema has been talking to a huddle of Republicans next to Mitch for like 20 minutes now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Good. They could've left at any time or refused to be part of this poo poo show, and then took a massive dump on the senate floor and called it a defense.

Let them stew in it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

eke out posted:

google unanimous consent

They. Don't. Need. It.

Pretend for a moment that the rules that have already been set out made them use unanimous consent to continue senate business. They don't, but let's pretend. A majority vote changes that rule.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

eke out posted:

google unanimous consent and ask yourself whether Mitch and every member of his caucus is suddenly going to be amenable to allowing other business to continue

Are they discussing pay rises anytime soon?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

eke out posted:

If that's how it is then I could see Dem's calling for Trump, letting him throw a fit and then moving on with that on the record. The Senate is in recess next week anyway so if they also just take a week to get their own dispositions then it isn't a big deal to do this.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
"Why does the prosecution want to present evidence? Didn't they do their investigation? They should have done that before! And now they want to call witnesses? They should have talked to them before hand? The fact that they want to bring all their evidence and witnesses forward today in this impeachment case, shows that they didn't do their investigation."

-The worlds best defense attorney

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Velocity Raptor posted:

"Why does the prosecution want to present evidence? Didn't they do their investigation? They should have done that before! And now they want to call witnesses? They should have talked to them before hand? The fact that they want to bring all their evidence and witnesses forward today in this impeachment case, shows that they didn't do their investigation."

-The worlds best defense attorney

Its the words of a defense attorney who knows he's about to eat his defense presentation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

They. Don't. Need. It.

Pretend for a moment that the rules that have already been set out made them use unanimous consent to continue senate business. They don't, but let's pretend. A majority vote changes that rule.

yes they do need it

edit: googling about filibustering rules votes and it's probably more complicated than i thought, i'm pretty sure the filibuster is a consideration but less sure than i was a minute ago

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 13, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This sounds like Mitch wants Trump to burn without hurting the GOP if he wants criminal prosecution

Yeah gently caress that

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

eke out posted:

yes they do need it and no a simple majority cannot change the rules of the senate absent killing the filibuster in advance of the vote

Weird how simple majority votes keep changing the rules of the senate in the republican's favor without killing the filibuster.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
They can always kill the filibuster for this single case alone like has been done in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Weird how simple majority votes keep changing the rules of the senate in the republican's favor without killing the filibuster.

you're right, i edited my post, that the democrats could likely actively change the rules of the senate to undercut mcconnell's ability to block them

let's all take a guess how willing Joe Manchin and Krysten Sinema are to do it (all in support of a lengthy political stunt to depose trump? lol)