Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also i'm pretty sure, but i might be wrong, that the objectively worsening material conditions for people is increasing class consciousness, which probably has a bigger effect on its development than the presence or lack of "idpol," which always sounded like one of those thought-terminating orwellian phrases to me where a bunch of complex social movements are compressed into a single phrase that is intended to convey an entirely negative meaning. people speaking out about their oppression? radlib idpol!

as if the class struggle is the only true jihad and everyone else has to shut their mouths.

quote:

According to the materialist conception of history, the ultimately determining element in history is the production and reproduction of real life. Other than this neither Marx nor I have ever asserted. Hence if somebody twists this into saying that the economic element is the only determining one, he transforms that proposition into a meaningless, abstract, senseless phrase. The economic situation is the basis, but the various elements of the superstructure — political forms of the class struggle and its results, to wit: constitutions established by the victorious class after a successful battle, etc., juridical forms, and even the reflexes of all these actual struggles in the brains of the participants, political, juristic, philosophical theories, religious views and their further development into systems of dogmas — also exercise their influence upon the course of the historical struggles and in many cases preponderate in determining their form. There is an interaction of all these elements in which, amid all the endless host of accidents (that is, of things and events whose inner interconnection is so remote or so impossible of proof that we can regard it as non-existent, as negligible), the economic movement finally asserts itself as necessary. Otherwise the application of the theory to any period of history would be easier than the solution of a simple equation of the first degree.

[...]

Marx and I are ourselves partly to blame for the fact that the younger people sometimes lay more stress on the economic side than is due to it. We had to emphasise the main principle vis-à-vis our adversaries, who denied it, and we had not always the time, the place or the opportunity to give their due to the other elements involved in the interaction. But when it came to presenting a section of history, that is, to making a practical application, it was a different matter and there no error was permissible. Unfortunately, however, it happens only too often that people think they have fully understood a new theory and can apply it without more ado from the moment they have assimilated its main principles, and even those not always correctly. And I cannot exempt many of the more recent "Marxists" from this reproach, for the most amazing rubbish has been produced in this quarter, too....

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1890/letters/90_09_21.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Idpol has been a massive success in respect to destroying class consciousness

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it actually bothers me that people feel this way. and the combination of anger and arrogance towards people and their social movements. it's very reactionary, i feel. does BLM destroy class consciousness? it's a social movement with its own momentum. you have to either relate to it or not. i dunno what you want people to do

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What class consciousness was there to destroy lol

Was there a ML vanguard party that was just about to institute a dictatorship of the proletariat before BLM-based swoopers destroyed them? Was CHAZ going to turn into the Paris Commune?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it actually bothers me that people feel this way. and the combination of anger and arrogance towards people and their social movements. it's very reactionary, i feel. does BLM destroy class consciousness? it's a social movement with its own momentum. you have to either relate to it or not. i dunno what you want people to do
BLM is a rather minor part of idpol, compared to say, Christian dominonism or white supremacy. Of course, by the same token, class warfare (which includes reactionary idpol poo poo) has also been a massive success with respect to destroying class consciousness.

It might be true that it is a distraction from the real objective, but it is not a battle of our choosing and it is one we need to win to achieve the real objective. I think the thing people are reacting to here is false victories, like electing a token representative rather than someone who will actually improve conditions for the masses.

Basically, idpol can mean whatever you want it to mean, from any kind of politics that conceive of the world through identities to the tokenism of corporations, the political establishment, and liberals in general. The latter is probably what most people here mean.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

SchnorkIes posted:

Are the people in actual grinding poverty or are they just unwilling to pay taxes? I know a lot of "poor people" making hundreds of thousands a year in cash livestock etc business
"Is West Virginia actually one of the poorest states in the nation, or are its millions of citizens conspiring to do tax fraud to make it seem poor?" is not really a reasonable question. It sucks that you know a poor person with a boat I guess but that's a statistical anomaly.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

T. Bombastus posted:

"Is West Virginia actually one of the poorest states in the nation, or are its millions of citizens conspiring to do tax fraud to make it seem poor?" is not really a reasonable question. It sucks that you know a poor person with a boat I guess but that's a statistical anomaly.

Poor people aren't really poor they just don't want to _________________________________________

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It might be true that it is a distraction from the real objective, but it is not a battle of our choosing and it is one we need to win to achieve the real objective. I think the thing people are reacting to here is false victories, like electing a token representative rather than someone who will actually improve conditions for the masses.
i get where you're coming from but the idea that you're going to elect anybody who will actually improve conditions for the masses is liberalism. in fact, i relate more to BLM as a movement than i do bernie sanders. of course there is a lot of nonsense where democrats put up a sign that says "black lives matter" in the background during a livestream, and that's all very strange and weird -- it's recuperation. but the idea that the masses decide to say "screw it" and make their own history, in the streets, in motion -- i relate to that. and if you believe the masses are the makers of history, then why do they need leaders or bosses? i want you to be your own boss.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As someone who has lived most of their life in WV, anyone doing this whole "well are they really poor?" poo poo can go gently caress themselves.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/mao/works/red-book/ch11.htm

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SchnorkIes posted:

Are the people in actual grinding poverty or are they just unwilling to pay taxes? I know a lot of "poor people" making hundreds of thousands a year in cash livestock etc business

SchnorkIes posted:

Yeah, but on paper, and on the kind of income figures cited, they're poor, but they're moving paper bags full of cash for all manner of scheme

SchnorkIes posted:

Rural white chuds who play poor but are running cash businesses where the czar is far away is a very different demographic, in that it actually exists

what the gently caress is this

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think it's that idpol destroying class consciousness I've heard so much about

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

also i'm pretty sure, but i might be wrong, that the objectively worsening material conditions for people is increasing class consciousness, which probably has a bigger effect on its development than the presence or lack of "idpol," which always sounded like one of those thought-terminating orwellian phrases to me where a bunch of complex social movements are compressed into a single phrase that is intended to convey an entirely negative meaning. people speaking out about their oppression? radlib idpol!

as if the class struggle is the only true jihad and everyone else has to shut their mouths.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1890/letters/90_09_21.htm

liberal idpol is all about coopting legitimate struggles for liberation and transforming them into shields for the rich and powerful, hth

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what the gently caress is this

People like that exist, they usually can't help but brag about it either. The ones who get caught tend to have been pretty open about it in the community for years.

They are a vocal minority. I once worked with a guy who had been doing in for forty years and during our breaks he'd ramble on about the various ways he'd "kept the government from his money" and the ways he used to duck paying royalties on furs and how he'd shadow invest the proceeds from grow-ops, . Scruffy fellow with an unkempt beard and a filthy older truck, but he had cash stashed all over the place in little cubbies in his cabin, and no shortage of "material investments" like nice older cars.

He did trapping, raised beef, forestry, wrenching, making high end wooden furniture, scrap metal. Pretty much anything that would bring in cash that he could stash away and find ways to write-off expenses. His ultimate plan for the money was to leave it to his biological son tax free, who hadn't spoken to him in like 15 years.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

I think it's that idpol destroying class consciousness I've heard so much about

i always wondered what the kind of “ironic” style of cspam humor was all about; i think it’s the idpol leaking in to the class consciousness, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kupachek posted:

People like that exist, they usually can't help but brag about it either. The ones who get caught tend to have been pretty open about it in the community for years.

They are a vocal minority. I once worked with a guy who had been doing in for forty years and during our breaks he'd ramble on about the various ways he'd "kept the government from his money" and the ways he used to duck paying royalties on furs and how he'd shadow invest the proceeds from grow-ops, . Scruffy fellow with an unkempt beard and a filthy older truck, but he had cash stashed all over the place in little cubbies in his cabin, and no shortage of "material investments" like nice older cars.

He did trapping, raised beef, forestry, wrenching, making high end wooden furniture, scrap metal. Pretty much anything that would bring in cash that he could stash away and find ways to write-off expenses. His ultimate plan for the money was to leave it to his biological son tax free, who hadn't spoken to him in like 15 years.

sounds exactly like welfare queens. sure they exist somewhere and they’re much more noticeable than people who use social services in times of need, but they’re also a tiny tiny minority and people who bring them up tend to have an agenda or personal ax to grind

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

theflyingexecutive posted:

sounds exactly like welfare queens. sure they exist somewhere and they’re much more noticeable than people who use social services in times of need, but they’re also a tiny tiny minority and people who bring them up tend to have an agenda or personal ax to grind

When I hear welfare queen, my mind goes straight to armed forces personnel first, the type who will proudly wear that term like a badge of honor.

Personally, I've met the cash hoarding tax dodger types, and people who get benefits and blow it on booze who then panhandle for rent at the end of the month (and otherwise live poor as poo poo), but not the 'welfare queens' who soak up benefits and live high on the hog.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/TheOvalPawffice/status/1360383216943824898?s=20

lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ it’s going to be a long loving year

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

kupachek posted:

When I hear welfare queen, my mind goes straight to armed forces personnel first, the type who will proudly wear that term like a badge of honor.

Personally, I've met the cash hoarding tax dodger types, and people who get benefits and blow it on booze who then panhandle for rent at the end of the month (and otherwise live poor as poo poo), but not the 'welfare queens' who soak up benefits and live high on the hog.

If i remember right, the original "welfare queen" (coined by Reagan, I believe) was a lady who was stealing SS benefits from like 6 old people, some of whom were dead and she might have killed. So yeah, technically real, but rare and not endemic of some mass movement.

FauxSchnork is either generalizing from a couple dudes he knows, or just trying to stir poo poo.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

let’s see how fully embedded ducklo is doing

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/media/tj-ducklo-white-house-suspended/index.html

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

it reminds me of that long tweet thread from a while back about how basically every "farmer" is committing enormous insurance fraud all the time to the point that the agriculture industry in some places is basically fraudulent from top to bottom

and yet, the people doing that are still a minority of people actually involved in the agriculture industry, because for every one bougie farmowner committing fraud, there are dozens or hundreds of impoverished undocumented agricultural labourers suffering through the actual work

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If i remember right, the original "welfare queen" (coined by Reagan, I believe) was a lady who was stealing SS benefits from like 6 old people, some of whom were dead and she might have killed. So yeah, technically real, but rare and not endemic of some mass movement.

I googled it and he frequently told a story about a “Chicago welfare queen” with “eighty names, thirty addresses, and twelve Social Security cards who is collecting veteran’s benefits on four non-existing deceased husbands. She’s got Medicaid, getting food stamps, and she is collecting welfare under each of her names. Her tax-free cash income is over $150,000.”

Another example Reagan loved to use was the "strapping young buck ahead of you in line, using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks while you're buying hamburger" but he softened that to "some young fellow ahead of you" when he was delivering stump speeches in the northern states.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I googled it and he frequently told a story about a “Chicago welfare queen” with “eighty names, thirty addresses, and twelve Social Security cards who is collecting veteran’s benefits on four non-existing deceased husbands. She’s got Medicaid, getting food stamps, and she is collecting welfare under each of her names. Her tax-free cash income is over $150,000.”

Another example Reagan loved to use was the "strapping young buck ahead of you in line, using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks while you're buying hamburger" but he softened that to "some young fellow ahead of you" when he was delivering stump speeches in the northern states.

an early example of the right's very common tactic of breaking a complex issue down into a simplistic binary opposition and then making the other side sound completely unhinged. "Oh, you support welfare for the poor? Then you must support this random person I made up who commits fraud to claim eighty people's worth of welfare and four people's veteran benefits. And if you don't support the behaviour of that imaginary fraudster, then you must agree with me that we should abolish the state, because those are the only two alternatives."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

vyelkin posted:

it reminds me of that long tweet thread from a while back about how basically every "farmer" is committing enormous insurance fraud all the time to the point that the agriculture industry in some places is basically fraudulent from top to bottom

and yet, the people doing that are still a minority of people actually involved in the agriculture industry, because for every one bougie farmowner committing fraud, there are dozens or hundreds of impoverished undocumented agricultural labourers suffering through the actual work

hit me with that thread please

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah yes, so relatable. Who hasn't experienced this situation!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

hit me with that thread please

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1323297129830469638

and

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1278862722512424963

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/KLyst63/status/1360518386501836800

https://twitter.com/AHeathensDay/status/1360511931354873856

https://twitter.com/charles66288094/status/1360431051508748298

https://twitter.com/EthelPrince12/status/1360418832481976323

https://twitter.com/elphie07/status/1360390543549767682

lol this is not going to end well

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
that last one is dire

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I like how the Biden voter tweets are virtually indistinguishable from the Trump voter tweets around 2017.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a Loving Dog posted:

that last one is dire

clicked through and they had a DonorsChoose fundraiser, luckily it was fully funded but holy poo poo this is real fuckin dire

quote:

My students come from a Title 1 school where access to the basic supplies are scarce at home and school. 100% of our student population receive free lunch. My 3rd grade scholars are highly spirited and eager to show what they know. As a teacher, I want to ensure that my students reach their full potential as they develop and grow academically. I want to create an environment where essential supplies need to become successful are readily available to them

We need whiteboards,pencils, glue sticks and scissors to ensure that lessons and activities in the classroom are interactive. Some students fear public speaking and participating in discussions, especially my English Language Learners. Whiteboards will help my English Language Learners and struggling students show what they know without feeling embarrassed to make a mistake and develop their academic confidence

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What is even going on in that last tweet :staredog:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eggplant Squire posted:

open er up the schools

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

vyelkin posted:

an early example of the right's very common tactic of breaking a complex issue down into a simplistic binary opposition and then making the other side sound completely unhinged. "Oh, you support welfare for the poor? Then you must support this random person I made up who commits fraud to claim eighty people's worth of welfare and four people's veteran benefits. And if you don't support the behaviour of that imaginary fraudster, then you must agree with me that we should abolish the state, because those are the only two alternatives."

Similarly, they love coming up with emotionally loaded catchphrases to disparage and belittle their opponents' actions even if (actually, especially if) they've been doing the exact same thing. A recent example has been Trump and his cronies complaining nonstop about "cancel culture" even though he has constantly been demanding that people like Colin Kaepernick be fired for years and years and years.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Eggplant Squire posted:

Libs wanna open up schools and are at the phase where they hate teachers as much as the chuds

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/nikaykay_/status/1360359299680206857?s=20

*republicans sweep 2024 with a constitutional convention* oopsie!

https://twitter.com/uberpreeya/status/1360257118184624128?s=20

lmao. never worked a real job in their life.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

What you have to understand is that Biden & co. came of age in 1950, where money was worth about an order of magnitude more due to inflation. They think that they're giving people 14k, and that would be enough to tide everyone over for a few months. Their pay masters probably know better but have no interest in correcting the issue for obvious reasons.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Where's my loving money Obiden Bama?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

One More Fat Nerd posted:

FauxSchnork is either generalizing from a couple dudes he knows, or just trying to stir poo poo.

Mostly just trying to justify policies that don't help the people I hate, white lumpens aren't in the working class lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I like how the Biden voter tweets are virtually indistinguishable from the Trump voter tweets around 2017.

Theres a specific type of Trump voter squeal that I havent seen yet from Biden voters, the open "he's hurting the wrong people!" complaint.

I may have just missed it though.