Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Warp drive is 'constantly being improved' in the sense that the numbers go up. But every new type of engine was still a big glowing thing in the middle of engineering, powered by antimatter and warp drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

In the DISCO future they idiot-proof it to slow/fast/newt babies

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The_Doctor posted:

IIRC they recorded her voice before her death, getting all the syllables and whatnot so they could reconstruct at any point?

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/roddenberry/status/772493204121944066

Love how this is an extremely common tech nowadays that people can even do for free in surprisingly good quality, and we still haven't seen MajelBot come out yet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I insist upon a Siri voiced by MBR.

I require it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think Discovery is a fine enough space-action show on its own and is fun to watch, but it won't scratch any Star Trek itches you may have.

Season 1 dragged on too long though and every scene that had Klingons was a drag. Season 2 was pretty good and the third one is interesting and fun.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zedd posted:

Didn't they re-write the warp speed scale like twice now?

TOS warp being reworked for TNG, TNG going fuckit warp 13 or something in the finale. And then we have an obvious new scale cause of... Threshold...

Only once, when they wrote the TNG bible. TNG warp speed was always consistent, outside of Warp 13 in "All Good Things...", which we can cut a break for because it's a parallel future. Under TNG speeds, as you asymptotically approached Warp 10, you went faster (resulting in ludicrous "Warp 9.97" line readings and the like where things lost all meaning), but could in theory you never reach Warp 10 else you would break the boundaries of space-time (resulting in "Threshold").

They should have just kept a geometric scale like TOS, except say everything is to the fifth power instead of the third or whatever. ( In TOS, warp 8 was 8*8*8 = 512 times the speed of light.) it would have read a lot better than everything being 9.x.
:goonsay:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Only once, when they wrote the TNG bible. TNG warp speed was always consistent, outside of Warp 13 in "All Good Things...", which we can cut a break for because it's a parallel future. Under TNG speeds, as you asymptotically approached Warp 10, you went faster (resulting in ludicrous "Warp 9.97" line readings and the like where things lost all meaning), but could in theory you never reach Warp 10 else you would break the boundaries of space-time (resulting in "Threshold").

They should have just kept a geometric scale like TOS, except say everything is to the fifth power instead of the third or whatever. ( In TOS, warp 8 was 8*8*8 = 512 times the speed of light.) it would have read a lot better than everything being 9.x.

The movies beat TNG to the 9.x stuff, as I recall (the Bird of Prey gets up to 9.8, I think).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What they really needed was a baked-in and sensible dramatic reason you couldn't just always go as fast as possible in any given situation. Whenever they say anything but "warp 9" it comes off as sort of arbitrary. Like "oh yeah warp seven sounds good let's do that"

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Afaik not always going to max warp is about fuel efficiency, I think Geordi explained it once but I don't recall the details.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
From what I gathered anything above warp 8 is like supercharging the engines so if you do it for too long it will wear them out.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I'm surprised we never saw any alien of the week using a propulsion method that makes temporary wormholes to wherever they want to go.

I did like that soliton wave thing where they built a station that pushed ships to their destination. Of course it hosed up and nearly blew up a planet, but I like it in a hard sci-fi beamsail kind of concept like having a laser push a ship along.

Of course warp works best as just a generic 'go wherever, go fast, have encounters and detours in deep space' travel method which is why we never see anything different used routinely.

I do remember reading an old TOS novel where the ship lost warp drive in deep space and they were setting themselves up for a full impulse jaunt to the nearest star system which would take months of subjective time for them but see years passing for the rest of the universe. That was really cool.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm almost through TNG season 5, and up till now, I haven't noticed any reason for going below warp 9, even though it's a thing that bothers me. There are some chases where Geordie will say they can't maintain warp 9.x for long, but general travel at lower warps is never explained. In many cases, Picard will order increases in speed for whatever reason, and I'm always wondering why he was going slow in the first place.

I think fuel economy is the explanation, but I also thought this was post-scarcity, and the fuel mechanics are never really explained in terms of what gets destroyed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shyrka posted:

I'm surprised we never saw any alien of the week using a propulsion method that makes temporary wormholes to wherever they want to go.

That was the Iconian's gimmick though, and the conclusion from that seems to be that it is way too OP for a current species to ever have access to

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

P sure there was some technobabble that pushing into a next tier of warp takes a lot of power or something
That'd make sense, why always burn through all your space NOS when you don't have the biggest hurry

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BonHair posted:

I'm almost through TNG season 5, and up till now, I haven't noticed any reason for going below warp 9, even though it's a thing that bothers me. There are some chases where Geordie will say they can't maintain warp 9.x for long, but general travel at lower warps is never explained. In many cases, Picard will order increases in speed for whatever reason, and I'm always wondering why he was going slow in the first place.

I think fuel economy is the explanation, but I also thought this was post-scarcity, and the fuel mechanics are never really explained in terms of what gets destroyed.

I assume a lot of it is about sticking to timetables. "We aren't due to arrive at the Buttfuck Colony for another two weeks...", "Starbase 420/69 isn't expecting us for another three days..." etc.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

multijoe posted:

That was the Iconian's gimmick though, and the conclusion from that seems to be that it is way too OP for a current species to ever have access to

To be fair, having the romulans be able to just randomly enter Federation HQ at any time, or just look in, would get real dumb and boring real fast. It's the Founders infiltration except without the planning and risk of being discovered.

Aren't the Borg using wormholes within their space?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
At least warp travel doesn't have the completely inconsistent bullshit of Star War's hyperdrives. Even in what is considered the Star Wars movie there is a ton of :what:

Does Luke just like... poo poo in a bag or something when sitting in his X-Wing for days while going to Dagobah? Or is it like a 5 minute trip? Apparently Bespin is like right next to Hoth? Maybe they're just all in the same system? Oops no wait Dagobath is referenced as a "system."

Goes to show if something is entertaining enough otherwise the inconsistencies don't matter. But then again this is a Star Trek thread so WHY DO THEY NEVER BRING UP THE ECO-FRIENDLY WARP SPEED LIMITS EVER AGAIN RABBLE RABBLE

It's pretty laff now thanks to Whedon being laff, but I always kind of liked the hand-wavy-ness of Firefly being all set in "the same huge multi-planet system" to get over the need for faster than light travel magic. The same with the Expanse's (poorly named) Epstein drives allowing people to just get around faster with less fuel but not able to go faster than light.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 13, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They do though. For several episodes they make a big deal out of breaking Warp 5 for emergencies, and Voyager’s dumb moving nacelles are supposed to be eco-friendly.

The real reason it was forgotten about after that is that the writers finally realized they’d given themselves a very dumb restriction for every episode to come.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BonHair posted:

Aren't the Borg using wormholes within their space?

Transwarp conduits, I believe, which were first introduced as being used by Lore's band of merry men in Descent and then just grafted onto the Borg as part of their general technology stack in Voyager.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I always figured the idea behind warp 10 being an absolute limit was to prevent "warp factor inflation" as time went on. And for the most part, that strategy worked great -- even by the end of Voyager, warp 9 still meant they were going engine-strainingly fast.

In contrast, consider what happened to the poor quad. The Enterprise-D's computer capacity was measured in kiloquads; on Voyager, just a few years later, they would make casual mention of individual files in the computer taking up millions or even billions of teraquads.

If they hadn't imposed the warp 10 limit early on in TNG, there's every reason to think the same thing would have happened there, and Voyager would have featured aliens approaching at warp factor 47 million.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jeeves posted:

At least warp travel doesn't have the completely inconsistent bullshit of Star War's hyperdrives. Even in what is considered the Star Wars movie there is a ton of :what:

Does Luke just like... poo poo in a bag or something when sitting in his X-Wing for days while going to Dagobah? Or is it like a 5 minute trip? Apparently Bespin is like right next to Hoth? Maybe they're just all in the same system? Oops no wait Dagobath is referenced as a "system."

Goes to show if something is entertaining enough otherwise the inconsistencies don't matter. But then again this is a Star Trek thread so WHY DO THEY NEVER BRING UP THE ECO-FRIENDLY WARP SPEED LIMITS EVER AGAIN RABBLE RABBLE

It's pretty laff now thanks to Whedon being laff, but I always kind of liked the hand-wavy-ness of Firefly being all set in "the same huge multi-planet system" to get over the need for faster than light travel magic. The same with the Expanse's (poorly named) Epstein drives allowing people to just get around faster with less fuel but not able to go faster than light.

No one cares about Luke making GBS threads because Star Wars is a fantasy series that happens to have space ships in it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cojawfee posted:

No one cares about Luke making GBS threads because Star Wars is a fantasy series that happens to have space ships in it.

On the other hand we did learn about how wizards poo poo in Harry Potter.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Midichlorians keep you regular so he doesn't have to Force push

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BonHair posted:

I seem to recall there's an episode of TNG that established warp travel at high speed is damaging to the fabric of the universe (& the Federation & Klingons agree to limit cruising speed as a result until a solution is found), but that plot point is never addressed again.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 13, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I seem to recall there's an episode of TNG that established warp travel at high speed is damaging to the fabric of the universe (& the Federation & Klingon agree to limit cruising speed as a result until a solution is found), but that plot point is never addressed again.

Force of Nature, season 7. It's one of those episodes that everyone involved hates and points to as an example of the staff just being completely burned out by the final season. They do mention the warp limit again in The Pegasus (and I think Eye of the Beholder? Maybe?), and Voyager's folding nacelles were supposedly a workaround to avoid causing fabric damage or whatever, but they never did anything with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shyrka posted:

I do remember reading an old TOS novel where the ship lost warp drive in deep space and they were setting themselves up for a full impulse jaunt to the nearest star system which would take months of subjective time for them but see years passing for the rest of the universe. That was really cool.
This is what happens to the NX-02 Columbia in the Star Trek Destiny books. Their warp drive gets hosed up by a Romulan virus, so they have to spent 68 days traveling sublight to the nearest planet. However, it is actually 12 years for everyone else, so they just kind of get assumed lost.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I could see a whole Mandalorian episode about buying diapers and formula for baby yoda, then getting into a shootout at babys-r-us

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tunicate posted:

I could see a whole Mandalorian episode about buying diapers and formula for baby yoda, then getting into a shootout at babys-r-us

No, it'd be The Mandalorian goes to buy diapers and forumula, but then he has to go to the diaper mines on another planet to kill the wezpopar that is preventing them from mining.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
There was also the episode where aliens wanted to understand command and obedience so the Picard imposter was like, "Set a course... warp 2!" and everyone was flabbergasted at how it'd take them forever to get anywhere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shyrka posted:

There was also the episode where aliens wanted to understand command and obedience so the Picard imposter was like, "Set a course... warp 2!" and everyone was flabbergasted at how it'd take them forever to get anywhere.

Just crawling down the street at 5mph, acting like it's normal

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Brawnfire posted:

Just crawling down the street at 5mph, acting like it's normal

My grandad liked to drive like that out in rural Ireland. The main east-west road in the country and there's grandad, pootling home at 10mph, truckers quietly going insane queued up behind him because back then it was only two lanes. Ah, nostalgia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Afaik not always going to max warp is about fuel efficiency, I think Geordi explained it once but I don't recall the details.

That's how it is for planes and boats in the real world. There are much faster speeds they could go at, but there's less fuel efficiency and there isn't even really enough demand for the higher speed to make it worth the cost.

The Enterprise probably spends the bulk of its time without an urgent timetable so it could afford to go slow steaming. You only speed up when you need to.

Cojawfee posted:

Well, there's also just the fact that Luke is in a fighter jet, and there are ways that real pilots can handle long stays in the cockpit.

Maybe there's some additional space technology adding extra convenience to the process, maybe there's not and he's left with diapers and pissbags. It's not like Star Trek gets super specific and granular with its toilets and plumbing systems.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Luke goes into Jedi hibernation on long trips. Basically chills out his metabolism so he doesn’t need to poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skasion posted:

Luke goes into Jedi hibernation on long trips. Basically chills out his metabolism so he doesn’t need to poo poo

Nah, he sticks a tube up his butt and uses his force powers to give himself diarrhea and it all drains through the tube. It was vital to the plot of my fanfic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When Luke is in the XWing he's able to meditate and drink his own pee at the same time

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pick posted:

When Luke is in the XWing he's able to meditate and drink his own pee at the same time

That’s MY Luke Skywalker, the one from MY childhood, the guy who falls asleep drinking his own pee in space.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BonHair posted:

The Federation is never implied to have unlimited resources to build and fuel new ships. The post-scarcity aspects are due to two factors:

1. The resources they do have are limited, but still massive, and the energy required to give a city of people all the replicated goods they want pales in comparison to that required by a starship for warp travel.

2. Even where limits do apply, society of the future has grown past acquiring as much as possible simply for the point of acquiring things.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

From what I gathered anything above warp 8 is like supercharging the engines so if you do it for too long it will wear them out.

That would've been a much better explanation rather than "it's literally destroying subspace" and then they completely had to drop that idea a season later because it was too hard to write around.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

That would've been a much better explanation rather than "it's literally destroying subspace" and then they completely had to drop that idea a season later because it was too hard to write around.

That explanation wouldn't have let them write an environmental episode, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Admiralty Flag posted:

Call it New Warp. Shorten it to 'Narp'.