Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Dackel posted:

It will only show your last death marker though, so just to be sure always mark your original marker with your good poo poo on it

This. Every time you die, the very first thing you should always do is mark your body on the map. Pretty much the only way you can gently caress up in this game is to lose your body location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Is there a goon server at all? I've gotten up to bronze gear and defeated the second boss and feel like I'm missing half the fun of this by playing solo.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's so much easier to have barebones scaffolding around the structure. That said, I'm building my first bridge today, so we'll see.

This. Scaffolding is essential.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
dunno if anyone said, but you can skip the no teleporting on ores stuff by going to another world and dumping your stuff, going back to your real base, then going back to the alt world for your crap.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Whew, I made it back. It helps that you run real fast when you're not wearing any armor. I had to kite away the troll and about a dozen greybeards but I made it :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, went to the mountain biome to check it out, and found a Dragon Egg. But it weighed so much that I had to open my inventory to toss some stuff out, and a wolf saw the opportunity to drop me in 3 hits.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Azzents posted:

Is there a goon server at all? I've gotten up to bronze gear and defeated the second boss and feel like I'm missing half the fun of this by playing solo.

I wanna play with other people real bad. I'm gearing up tp do the third boss now. I dont have a server, though... can you just make your own world available? My internet is da poop is the only thing.

Edit: I have been using two worlds: one to go out and adventure and then one to use as a merchant hub with chests and repair benches. I dont think that this is the intended gameplay, but sailing back and forth with ore feels more like an inconvenience. I really would like to use portals with ore. It's just a roadblock. Maybe there could be a server option? So everyone can be happy.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 13, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Azzents posted:

There aren't really severs unless someone leaves their computer running 24/7

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Has anyone gotten the dedicated server poo poo to work on linux yet? It looks like everything is running but it doesn't show up anywhere.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe try this?

quote:

Can’t find my server in the serverlist
Try looking through Steam's own serverlist (view-> servers)
Add Favourite server- Type in ip and (according to some) port 2457 (depending on server configuration)

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
I gave that a shot and still nothing. It's on linode so I don't think I need to open any firewall stuff up either.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need some help!

Something in this game is using the sound effect of when Simon gets hurt in Castlevania 4 and I can't figure out what it is.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The boar sound effect is the same one from WoW right? It really feels like I am farming bear asses in elwynn forest to level my cooking just to get a lvl 2 bench.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

KirbyKhan posted:

The boar sound effect is the same one from WoW right? It really feels like I am farming bear asses in elwynn forest to level my cooking just to get a lvl 2 bench.

I knew that sounded familiar!

edit: Hmm, it's close. Maybe not the same though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww69PNN4jVc

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I haven't played WoW since 2009 but got a real vibe of it from this game, think it is the graphical style

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of swamps, is there anything you can do with those huge trees with green blobs in them?

Edit: Also here's the thing about iron: Not everyone needs an entire iron set. For example, if someone is playing archer, they really just need the bow. They can just keep upgrading the troll set.

im using it right into mountains and even did a bunch of combat in the plains. shield quality is more important than armor quality after a point and troll armor is honestly really good upgraded

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I gave that a shot and still nothing. It's on linode so I don't think I need to open any firewall stuff up either.

self-connecting you have to use your local ip

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah if anyone is gonna use that, Google the map first because it's not due south a d going due south got me eaten by wolves lol

I tried googling it and maybe didn't get the right name? Can you link it here? I'm interested because I have mapped about half of my main server and never have found that merchant.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, what is This thing (spoiler!) for? It was a real pain getting it down from that mountaintop.

Please don't say something boring like "Summoning the fourth boss".

Edit:

TeaJay posted:

You can cook it and make an omelette ...

... ...

... ... ....

... sorry, it's for summoning the fourth boss

Dang, though I suspected as much. Thanks

At least it makes for a great night lamp!

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 14, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

So, what is This thing (spoiler!) for? It was a real pain getting it down from that mountaintop.

Please don't say something boring like "Summoning the fourth boss".

You can cook it and make an omelette ...

... ...

... ... ....

... sorry, it's for summoning the fourth boss

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I knew that sounded familiar!

edit: Hmm, it's close. Maybe not the same though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww69PNN4jVc

Ok cool. Very much the same spirit. Activates the same part of my lizard brain deep underneath the scar tissue.

Off topic: Given the limited availability of flint and the specific crossroad of progression I offer this advice: Instead of upgrading your flint spear, make a second flint spear. An unupgraded spear is the choice method of Meadows Deer Hunting. You will lose that spear someday, and you will be far away from your crafting bench. Build the safety spear.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Arrows are the way to kill deer. Infinitely easier doing so.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Easier, maybe, but it's way more satisfying hunting with a spear

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Just sailing around through the sounds and across the ocean in this game is really relaxing in weird way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Midgetskydiver posted:

I tried googling it and maybe didn't get the right name? Can you link it here? I'm interested because I have mapped about half of my main server and never have found that merchant.

Here's one https://www.okaygotcha.com/2021/02/probably-stupidest-map-in-valheim.html?m=1

You basically have to follow the coast south for a bit and look for an island of black forest. there's a map in the story there for reference

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

Easier, maybe, but it's way more satisfying hunting with a spear

Viking man living in viking hut only knows mastery over nature with his skill. It is just instinctual, as I wander my constitutional sometimes I hear the deer call, I hit stealth button and survey my surroundings. Seeing the doe past the next couple trees. The start/stop pacing of trying to get ID and sneak up for first throw is tense. Then when you toss your spear and hit the buck, you rush to claim your spear and stab the doe as it AI Panic turns.

I mean, I get the benefits of arrow hunting. I just don't wanna do the inventory management of arrows. Spend enough of my lean-to viking brain on the meat cooking rhythm beat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shoehead posted:

Here's one https://www.okaygotcha.com/2021/02/probably-stupidest-map-in-valheim.html?m=1

You basically have to follow the coast south for a bit and look for an island of black forest. there's a map in the story there for reference

This is making me loving howl

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really dig the conceit of Valheim requiring a password for community servers. Add that with that with dedicated hosting, there's a real opportunity to see some "boats in bottles" type crafted hobby worlds.

But nobody can see it unless you post the password. But if you post the rune words towards your home you could invite vikings who will burn your poo poo down and take your core frags and flint. It is a beautiful tension. But very lightning in a bottle.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

This is making me loving howl

I repeat legends and they turn out to be true. We are entering the beowulf era of bardic tradition. I shall be a skald, joining battle and pillaging new lands as proof of the worlds I traveled.

Fuckin lmao

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am vandalism on steam if anyone wants to play. I'm about to start the 3rd boss but I'm not picky and I'll adapt without ruining your advancement level/etc. Up for whatever, goon bros.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Korean Boomhauer posted:

We had to all add +connect IP:port to the game's launch options to get into our dedicated server.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You could connect by knowing something of the server name. When you get in client you can filter all 5000 worlds and pick that. Then you input the password, the ancient runes. But you must repeat this ritual every time you log on. Easy for to call out for a warband, a crew, a tour group.

But, if you know the true old magic, on the steam client you can click view-server to see the ancient pane. From there you can put in the server's true name (ip), and number it's port. If the stars align and you recite the correct words it will be favorited. You can click join. You must still input the password.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Really wish you could keep upgrading older armor sets to be competitive with the raw numbers offered by more advanced sets, especially if you prefer their appearance. Skin transfers and dyes when?

With decent food active I can soak a dozen or so hits from deathsquitos and fulings with a mix of fully upgraded iron and silver/wolf armor, whereas in fully upgraded troll I'd be 3-4 shot. Yeah sure "don't get hit" but that's not always possible due to server lag and stamina.

And holy poo poo the longboat is as noticeable an improvement over the karve as the karve is over the raft.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

This game had me by the short and curlies for 40-50 hours but after making one lv2 iron helmet and one lv1 iron pickaxe in solo I want to remove my brain with a corkscrew. I didn't even mind copper farming that much because it's just plain satisfying to rip that entire chunk out of the world and hand-truck your spoils back to camp, but iron? Whoever designed the crypts should be loving shot. It doesn't matter if you're looking for iron, chains, or bones, you still have to spend hours on end unclogging all those corridors. There is zero satisfaction in this.

Serious question: does playing in a group actually somehow make things go faster in spite of needing [times # of players] more materials, or does it just feel like less of a chore because you have company -- like any other game on the planet?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Being able to divide up labour does make everything go faster, and if you have one person exploring and one person at base you can create easy portal networks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
These constructions take effort and having someone witness them is a transformative experience

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJlOiNsmQI

Wow, this solves a big issue/frustration I was having.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Korean Boomhauer posted:

Has anyone gotten the dedicated server poo poo to work on linux yet? It looks like everything is running but it doesn't show up anywhere.

Make sure to put the argument

code:
-public 1
in the server launch bash script otherwise you'll need to do a bunch of annoying direct-IP adding nonsense in Steam to connect. Public makes it appear in the server list.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

vandalism posted:

I wanna play with other people real bad. I'm gearing up tp do the third boss now. I dont have a server, though... can you just make your own world available? My internet is da poop is the only thing.

Yeah just select the world then hit create server when you start it up. Same menu.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Last boss drops a darn laceholder item :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
tried cutting down a tree, tree rolled down the hill and completely ruined my poo poo.

10/10 goty.