Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sick high revving i4 cruiser?

Someone pick up one of these and remember to budget for a gopro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I call it, the "Iron Duke"

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
gently caress it, just skip the longitudinal inline 4 and go straight to building a cruiser around the Jeep 4L I6. Heavy as hell and torque for days, just the way god intended for cruisers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Longitudinal cbx cruiser

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I guess the Triumph Rocket is the only bike currently in production a longitudinal engine. Or does the Goldwing count...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

High Protein posted:

I guess the Triumph Rocket is the only bike currently in production a longitudinal engine. Or does the Goldwing count...

The Goldwing is a flat 6, like a Porsche 911.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Longitudinal refers to how the crankshaft is oriented in the bike. Any engine can be longitudinal or transverse, just based on how it’s mounted in the vehicle.

If the crank runs in line with the front and rear wheels on a bike it’s longitudinal, if the crank is perpendicular to the wheels it’s transverse.

Any bike like the Goldwing, CX500, Triumph rocket, etc are all longitudinal.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jazzzzz posted:

gently caress it, just skip the longitudinal inline 4 and go straight to building a cruiser around the Jeep 4L I6. Heavy as hell and torque for days, just the way god intended for cruisers

Don't forget the oil leaks!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Longitudinal refers to how the crankshaft is oriented in the bike. Any engine can be longitudinal or transverse, just based on how it’s mounted in the vehicle.

If the crank runs in line with the front and rear wheels on a bike it’s longitudinal, if the crank is perpendicular to the wheels it’s transverse.

Any bike like the Goldwing, CX500, Triumph rocket, etc are all longitudinal.

:hmmyes:

BMW boxer, Guzzi V twin also.
Are there any longitudinal thumpers?? Weird, I never thought about this.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 13, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Used to be!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R27

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mounting the engine longitudinally (pronounced 'wrong' in italian) offers benefits (citation needed) that aren't really helpful on a single, I think.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Longitudinal only makes sense to me for shaft drives. Is it used outside of that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marginally easier shaft drive is the only non-goldwing-specific reason to do it, and it isn't a very good reason imo. Afaik all the longitudinal bikes besides the 'wing do it for legacy reasons. The cx did it because Honda were experiencing a bout of mental illness.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

Longitudinal only makes sense to me for shaft drives. Is it used outside of that?

I do not believe I’ve ever seen a chain drive longitudinal engine on a bike, no. At least outside of pre-1960’s bikes made before the common modern motorcycle layout had emerged.

It would require a 90 degree bevel gear somewhere in the setup to change the rotational output perpendicularly, which is probably pretty suboptimal for a primary drive if I had to guess

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do not believe I’ve ever seen a chain drive longitudinal engine on a bike, no. At least outside of pre-1960’s bikes made before the common modern motorcycle layout had emerged.

It would require a 90 degree bevel gear somewhere in the setup to change the rotational output perpendicularly, which is probably pretty suboptimal for a primary drive if I had to guess

Transverse shafties have this, there's just no point in doing it the other way around cause transverse is so superior.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I like the original Indian setup, seem like the least amount of moving parts. Also keeps the weight straight down the middle, while keeping rider further over engine, unlike the traditional american v twin.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

You really know how to wind me up.

No, you're just showing your ignorance, the original engines were excellent. Harley engines up until about the 80's were absolutely brilliant compared to most of the stuff available at the time, everything they did was extremely shrewd and driven by practical real world and racing reasons. You're american, you should be proud of harley's glorious racing history and pioneering engineering feats. Feel free to watch about twenty of these and you'll start to get your head around it:

So, what are your thoughts in the engine in the Indian FTR 750?

https://www.cycleworld.com/closer-look-at-indian-motorcycle-new-ftr750-dirt-track-race-engine-part-1/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my thoughts are I want them to make a FTR750 since the 1200 is such a (beautiful) pig

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every manufacturer should make more 750s. The ideal displacement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress knows, it's a race engine that I've never even seen in person. It's a purpose built racing engine which has no bearing on street bikes irl, the only way to judge it is by the metrics it was built to, which I'm unaware of, or the results of the riders, which are affected by other factors besides the engine. Their results are excellent so I guess it must work pretty well.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Tell me why I shouldn't buy a TW200 as someone with a 29" inseam and a love for big fat rear ends

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

stellers bae posted:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a TW200 as someone with a 29" inseam and a love for big fat rear ends

You want to race competitively off-road.

You already own 5.

You have an odd physiological reaction to things that are good and fun whereby you swell up and you can’t breathe.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

stellers bae posted:

TW200 is probably my favorite motorcycle ever, no way you can go wrong with it, if you have reasonable expectations about what it can do.
Just a thought, but the XT250 has the same seat height I believe, more ground clearance, and FI. It's also 500 more. I wouldn't hesitate to choose either bike, they are both fantastic, but if you are already at the Yamaha dealer, might as well swing your leg over both.
Obviously doesn't have a fat rear end! Which is a huge negative against it.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 14, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

stellers bae posted:

The reasons listed above are good ones. Just don't expect it to do everything, if you already have another bike or don't care about reaching even back-country highway speeds, you absolutely want a TW200.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As an RV90 owner I will never dissuade anyone from getting a lil fat tired bike

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The tdub is my white whale. I'll have one someday. As long as you are ok with it having minibike level's of power, go for it!

To the comment above about the XT250, that's also a good option but obviously lacks the charm of the tdub. I have ridden the XT225, however, and it's amazing. Like a motorized bicycle with plenty of get up and go.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

stellers bae posted:

lol I have a similarly short lower half (6' tall, 30" inseam) and I love my tw. it's currently in storage on my dad's farm back in OR, but there is no other motorcycle that will literally get you anywhere offroad. those big fat tires make going places you shouldn't go incredibly easy :D

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love my XT250, it was tough to choose between it and the T-dub. It's extremely an old man bike though, definitely doesn't turn heads at all, which is good or bad depending on how you live your life. I'll probably try to get a TW when my oldest kid turns 16 so we can cruise fire roads together.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I had a TW200 as my first bike. It's still in pieces in my parent's garage.

DEAD simple mechanically (mine still had cable brakes up front), would eventually get up to 100/110kmh on the highway, very light (considering), and I'd play the 'how long can I balance at the stop light without having to put my foot down' game.

It was basically like having a mountain bike/fat bike, but with an engine.

Also, I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. No problems with being cramped etc.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Captain McAllister posted:

Also, I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam. No problems with being cramped etc.

This was my experience too, but I’m 5’10”. Kept thinking “I know this bike is tiny, but how is it so roomy?!

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
I sold my KLR650, which means I can buy another bike!

I'm looking for something with ABS but not interested in the new KLR. Mostly ride on the road with a longer trip every summer like the TWAT in Wisconsin or some BDR trips. I've been eyeing, in order of preference:
A new Tenere 700
2020 KTM 790 with 3k miles and no accessories
2017 Africa Twin with 7k miles, the dct, and a bunch of suspension upgrades.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? TW200 towed by oldwing?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Africa Twin.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Tenere is the best of those bikes and that’s coming from someone who loves KTMs (specifically their tried and true LC8, not their newly designed LC8c)

890 is a revision of the 790, so if you’re looking at KTMs, look at that one ask it fixes a couple of the issues found in a few of the 790s

you’re gonna pay at least MSRP on all of those besides the AT just because sales are wild right now and those are pretty much THE bike to get in the middleweight ADV segment

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is this as good a deal as I think it is

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/841740519712167/

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

hoho`win posted:

I sold my KLR650, which means I can buy another bike!

I'm looking for something with ABS but not interested in the new KLR. Mostly ride on the road with a longer trip every summer like the TWAT in Wisconsin or some BDR trips. I've been eyeing, in order of preference:
A new Tenere 700
2020 KTM 790 with 3k miles and no accessories
2017 Africa Twin with 7k miles, the dct, and a bunch of suspension upgrades.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? TW200 towed by oldwing?

Honda crf 300 rally.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

bengy81 posted:

I love my XT250, it was tough to choose between it and the T-dub. It's extremely an old man bike though, definitely doesn't turn heads at all, which is good or bad depending on how you live your life. I'll probably try to get a TW when my oldest kid turns 16 so we can cruise fire roads together.
I was riding my xt250 to the local farm supply store to fill the tank with ethanol-free gas last weekend (I always try to make the first and last tank of the season ethanol-free) when a woman rolled down her window at a stop light to ask me a bunch of questions about the bike.

My father-in-law has a T-dub, and while it's an absolute joy to ride, I'm happier with a disk on the back and EFI.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 16, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes. Watch for scams but proceed with caution

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yeah, that's pretty good. It's about fair for it's age, but 500 less than it would be in my market. It's a lil rough around the edges with the poorly recovered pillion seat, and all those dumb stickers, but looks mechanically clean. That's a good model year for the SV and the full fairing owns.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Any reason? I rode a newer stock one last summer and thought it was nice, like a big dirtbike but on the heavy side.

right arm posted:

Tenere is the best of those bikes

Thanks, the T7 is the only bike I haven't ridden yet. Looking forward to getting a test ride in.

Supradog posted:

Honda crf 300 rally.

A little too small for the occasional two up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
AT for more touring style riding, tenere for doing more bdr/offroad style riding (though the AT can do this too just not as easy). KTM 790/890 go try one and see if it catches your fancy but MEH. between all the issues, the price and the fact that the 790 is already abandoned i skipped it and bought an fe501 instead.

my dad has done the east coast to west coast TAT route on his dct africa twin so it's possible (and without mid trip oil changes lol)