Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The trailer is in 1.33:1, however. I presume this is because it's a format well-supported by Twitter but close to IMAX.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snyder shot at 4:3. He says it right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Kg6Cxwn18&t=1067s

"One three three aspect ratio", which of course is 4:3. The promo material is in 4:3. This is easily observed with the right click button on your mouse.

The source for 1.66:1 is a Vero post from the summer and seemingly no confirmation since, so he may have just changed his mind, or wants the promo material not to have pillars.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They really had him say "We live in a society."

That's. A line. They delivered seriously.

If that doesn't make you want to walk into a drat ocean I don't know what will.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

i think it's funny

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This looks horrible, I can't wait to see it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i think it's funny

Funny in a way that the filmmakers intended? Because by all intents and purposes it seems to want to be taken seriously.

Unless you're gonna try to say it's there ironically, which is even sadder.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nodosaur posted:

Funny in a way that the filmmakers intended? Because by all intents and purposes it seems to want to be taken seriously.

Why so serious?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nodosaur posted:

Who knows man. Who knows anything at all. Nobody can engage with a work of art and interpret or analyze and understand it truly. Makes you think.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Cael posted:

Even if the discourse is worse than it is now, I'll take that "informed" discussion over people just making things up about a product that doesn't (up til now) exist.

Cael posted:

To your point, I guarantee that we'll see the goalpost instantly moved to "WELL if it wasn't a pandemic then they'd have give more money and gotten the actors together and actually shot new scenes" and that'll be the hallmark. It got CLOSE to Synder's vision, but without that it won't ever be what he ACTUALLY intended.

????

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

First part is we've had to deal with Synder cut fanatics for multiple years now when that cut literally didn't exist. I would rather listen to people complain about a tangible thing than some hypothetical product they've never seen with their own eyes.

Second part I probably phrased badly, but it's what I expect die-hard Synder fans to keep saying. Even though they'll be getting what they "want", they'll still find excuses for why it's not the perfect ideal movie and how the blame rests with the studio and not Synder himself.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

it sounds like you are making something up about something that doesn't exist - and as a consequence making yourself low-key kind of angry about it

to be fair, a lot of this thread seems to be posters making themselves angry over things they have imagined about an unreleased comic book movie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The "we live in a society" thing started as an unironic MGTOW/redpill/etc. phrase that was hijacked by being mocked to death. Snyder probably isn't aware of the context, but that's just such a bad idea.

Might as well have Darkseid call Diana a thot.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I thought it started as a mocking paraphrase of Ledger's Joker, specifically the scene in the hospital with Dent

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, Snyder probably does think it's a cool line, but he also thought he was saying something deep with Sucker Punch so :shrug:

I just think it's funny actually hearing the line in a real movie regardless of what the film maker intended while putting it in there

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Lt. Danger posted:

I thought it started as a mocking paraphrase of Ledger's Joker, specifically the scene in the hospital with Dent

so there was these generic Gamers Rise Up memes from the sort of ostracized terminally online kids who capitalize the G in gamers; a lot of them were found on social media and reposted to places like r/gamingcirclejerk and r/justneckbeard things, but a chunk of them originated there as parodies of said memes like a serpent eating its own tail. Examples:

it's just an updated version of "I could be your devil... or your angle"-esque macros, the Ledger Joker just really gave weirdos an avatar to express their weirdo status through

a few variants may have legitimately opened with "we live in a society where [rant]", but I'm not going to try and carbon date specific instances of a meme

the basic idea then turned into the WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY, BOTTOM TEXT gimmick, and then Gang Weed happened

there's a poo poo ton of articles on the origins of the meme springing up left and right, from what I can tell the agreement from internet historians (lol) is that it started not as a joke and not ironically (even if the ironic versions of the meme probably outnumber the sincere ones by a mile at this point)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

If there's a 9gag watermark on that scene I will proclaim Zack Snyder as the greatest filmmaker to ever live

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

If there's a 9gag watermark on that scene I will proclaim Zack Snyder as the greatest filmmaker to ever live

a real directorial genius would have made the watermark one of Joker's tattoos

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The society line is from Seinfeld.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Instead of Batman he should say Bottom Text.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Aphrodite posted:

The society line is from Seinfeld.

this crossed my mind, but I was afraid to say so definitively because the seinfeld line is "we are living in a society" and I have no evidence one way or the other

it fits the rest of the irony poisoned abstract ouroboros that is the meme to a T, though

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna become Costanza

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Deep down we've all become Jerry-fied.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Kramers Rise Up

but not the dude who played Kramer gently caress that guy

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Cael posted:

First part is we've had to deal with Synder cut fanatics for multiple years now when that cut literally didn't exist. I would rather listen to people complain about a tangible thing than some hypothetical product they've never seen with their own eyes.

I’m confused are you saying the cut didn’t exist until the past year?? This has been objectively false for a while now and there is even a goon who worked on the Snyder version before whedon came on for reshoots and has spoken about what was cut etc

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Nodosaur posted:

There's literally no society in existence during the scene so is it really supposed to be serious?

Aphrodite posted:

Might as well have Darkseid call Diana a thot.

Or have flash's head fall in between dianas breasts while sparks fly out of his crotch into hers, oh wait

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 15, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Schwarzwald posted:

Why so serious?

Hahahahaha.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems likely that, with that line, the Joker character is saying something about the state of the world (or, if it's a dream sequence, about what Batman thinks the Joker would say about the state of the world), but that the decision to use that phrasing is based on cheekiness, and possibly also on a desire to build more marketing buzz.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Regardless of my feelings for Snyder's oeuvre, more Junkie XL music and Jeremy Irons Alfred entering the world can only be a positive

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ghosthotel posted:

I’m confused are you saying the cut didn’t exist until the past year?? This has been objectively false for a while now and there is even a goon who worked on the Snyder version before whedon came on for reshoots and has spoken about what was cut etc
I mean...the current iteration of the film is four hours long. It includes at least one additional scene that was specifically filmed for this version. It took millions of dollars to finish. It's...square, for some reason? It "objectively" did not exist one year ago!

quote:

In a new interview on the “Recode Media” podcast, WarnerMedia chairman and HBO Max boss Bob Greenblatt confirms the Snyder cut does not exist at the moment and it’s something Snyder has to create over the next year.
Like...you have to pay for actors and artists to come back onto a project to polish it into a finished state. No one is going to add ambient occlusion to your CGI for free. Ben Affleck and Jared Leto were not going to come and play dress-up for you just because you asked nicely.

No one's saying that, back in 2018, Snyder didn't have some watchable footage of the Justice League film, in some coherent sequence, that he could edit together into what he wanted the film to eventually be. Like...yeah, we're aware Snyder filmed a movie, and if that's what we want to call the "Snyder Cut" then, sure, that hella existed.

What people have always said is that this "cut" of the film didn't have music, didn't have ADR, didn't have effects finished, and very likely didn't even have all the scenes shot. We would've been watching Ray Fisher strut around in a grey mocap leotard with unrendered buildings in the background and occasional cutaways to storyboards and previz; that's not a finished or even mostly-finished cut of a film, there's no way any studio would release that. It's not a finished movie.

edit: This might've come off very aggro for no reason, which I didn't intend. Snyder fires up all my acrimony glands. This is also just an annoying topic for me 'cuz even now there are certain...trusting...people out there who'd latched onto Snyder stretching the truth and playing coy for years about just how "finished" this film was and now crow about having been right about this all this time, even in the face of direct evidence of being wrong.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 15, 2021

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

You’re just arguing semantics here. The whole “it doesn’t exist” thing has from the beginning implied that Whedons reshoots were minimal and that the theatrical version was pretty much a Snyder movie. We’ve learned over the past 4 years that this was not the case and that Whedon essentially reshot like 70% of the movie. A more “objective” statement would be that the cut did not exist in its current form until now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But of course it's a semantic argument. If someone claims that a cut of a film that doesn't have sound, effects, color correction, or all the scenes shot is a finished cut or even almost finished...they're just wrong, or embellishing to give a false impression. An almost-finished cut of a film doesn't take thirty-million dollars to finish.

It's why the whole "Release the Snyder Cut" campaign has always been so disingenuous. It would be way more truthful to hashtag "Finish the Snyder Cut," but prompting someone to finish a film suggests there's a lot of work left to be done and isn't so easy as trimming some scenes together. And they knew that. We all knew it. Calling to release the cut makes it instead seem more like there's already a golden ready-made product just sitting in some stingy executive's vault waiting to be opened, or a fully-edited MP4 sitting in someone's computer just waiting for someone to come press the export button.

It's all semantics.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

There is a wild amount of projection you got going on there my dude lol

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ghosthotel posted:

You’re just arguing semantics here. The whole “it doesn’t exist” thing has from the beginning implied that Whedons reshoots were minimal and that the theatrical version was pretty much a Snyder movie.

Really? No one has argued that to my knowledge. I mean people have argued that the additional content is unlikely to make the film any better but that's a separate thing. The claim that the Snyder cut existed is stuff like Snyder sharing images of cans of film and pretending an alternative cut was inside them, that WB just needs to "release" the Snyder cut.

Ghosthotel posted:

There is a wild amount of projection you got going on there my dude lol

No u

People who don't like Snyder's movies, you might be surprised to learn, don't actually give a poo poo about whether a movie is a "Snyder movie" or not.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 15, 2021

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems credible to me that in 2017 there was a very large amount of footage shot by Zack Snyder which was not included in the theatrical release. Snyder seems to have a habit of planning very long movies, shooting lots of extra footage, and trimming them down later. Previous director's cuts he has released were also really long.

When Snyder stopped working on Justice League several years ago, it seems that he did so after shooting principal photography, but before starting to edit that footage into a film.

When people started wishing that they would "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut," it seems pedantic to say that at that time there was no Snyder Cut to release. Obviously you have to finish editing a movie before you can release it. Movies are made in the editing room.

The point is: anyone can tell that the theatrical cut of Justice League isn't a very Snyder-like movie. The reason for this is because it was edited by Joss Whedon (who also used a fairly large amount of new footage, it seems). This whole thing started when some people wanted to see what it'd have been like if it had been edited by Zack Snyder from footage shot by Zack Snyder.

Ask a Snyder fan whether they're getting what they wanted from this whole affair and most likely they're going to say Yes. Hell, some of his fans would have been satisfied with storyboards and animatics representing the gist of the movie he intended to make while he was shooting it.

I'm not sure in what sense it could possibly be said not to exist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

I'm not sure in what sense it could possibly be said not to exist.

It doesn't exist in the sense of

quote:

Obviously you have to finish editing a movie before you can release it.

This was not a case of there being finished footage that merely needs to "finish" being "edited". If you want to say that a snyder cut existed in terms of there being storyboards and a script? Then okay.

I really don't think you can find a single person here who thinks Whedon didn't make a substantial contribution to the released Justice League movie.

The opposition to "Release the Snyder Cut" is (a) an opposition to the conspiratorial framing of it, that there being a (near) finished alternative cut that WB is sitting on for ~reasons~, (b) a general suspicion that, given the description of the cut content, the version the snyder fans were clamouring for might well be equally bad, or even *worse* than the released version, (c) a realistic understanding that given the step in the process when Snyder left, a whole lot of expensive work would be required to finish the movie, and thus WB would be unlikely to do such a thing, and (d) an opposition to the general idea of endless director's cuts and patches to released movies in lieu of making new ones, and the fetishisation of the "director's vision" in general discourse.

If you're really characterising all this as people trying to say JL as released is a Snyder movie because they want to use it to criticise Snyder, then you're really missing the point. (Not least because plenty of people who don't like Snyder prefer the Whedonised JL to BvS, Whedon being a piece of poo poo notwithstanding)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

from what I remember people (on these forums at least) were wishing for a Snyder cut that was just the assembly cut, unfinished with no post-production effects, because the idea of the studio re-releasing the film seemed so unlikely. the expectation was basically that it'd be like a blu-ray extra or something - something cool for the fans but not a product in itself

in that sense it was "finished", i.e. it was an extant thing that could be released, as opposed to the original film being destroyed or missing too much intended footage to be viable

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BrianWilly posted:

edit: This might've come off very aggro for no reason, which I didn't intend. Snyder fires up all my acrimony glands. This is also just an annoying topic for me 'cuz even now there are certain...trusting...people out there who'd latched onto Snyder stretching the truth and playing coy for years about just how "finished" this film was and now crow about having been right about this all this time, even in the face of direct evidence of being wrong.

This makes literally the least sense in your argument. You can take Snyder fans from 2/3 years ago, they would tell you exactly what some of the students between the two cuts were, the exact percentage of Snyder footage in the theatrical release, what plot elements were removed and which are more important in the Snyder cut, and they would tell you exactly that it was a work print currently and what exactly a work print is. Nobody was being tricked or strung along.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As someone that works in the creative industry helping produce digital products, if someone told me that something I worked on for years but didn’t get that final 1/4 of polish done didn’t exist I would tell them to kindly go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does the Edgar Wright cut of Ant Man exist?