Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
It is clear that the hopers primary aggravation comes from not being able to infect healthy doomers and get them hooked on hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well, the UK will have COVID forever, because the US will literally never get rid of it, and we're just gonna pass it back and forth forever and ever, permanently mutating betwixt the two as more and more countries close their borders to the US and UK until we can only move freely between one another, closing a 500 year loop

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Simple fact is, the UK is tired of experts and has voted for Hard Corona.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

i apologize UK thread for going on this covid tangent in the UK thread to make amends i made you this acrostic poem

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

all i care about is whether there will be adequate sex arses in the near future.

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
*gollum looks fearfully at Boris Johnson*

"What's brexit, precious? What's brexit, eh?"

*Boris looks glumly into the fire*

"Lovely big golden chips with a nice bit of fried fish"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

namesake posted:

No you're right, I guess nothing positive can happen and all regulatory bodies everywhere are completely captured by the industry so everyone gets taken at their word in this incredibly visible and crucial medical rollout.

Yup. If the regulatory bodies were functional there would be a chance but as is the UK and US have created the perfect storm to keep this disease around.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The vaccine rollout graphs all look like that economy projections graph. That's not a coincidence.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The vaccine, combined with a lockdown and a robust test & trace system would almost certainly work, and where it's too late to avoid too many deaths to accurately count, it's not too late to get this fucker under control. Relying on the vaccine by itself to stay effective long enough to finish the rollout in the current conditions is very risky. Might as well declare it's over by Easter based on your say-so.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
a test and what system? is this some continental invention

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Will there be adequate tunnel?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/14/rail-bosses-revive-plan-to-build-tunnel-from-scotland-to-northern-ireland

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Building a tunnel to connect two landmasses of a union? How did that work out the last time?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/1360936574557560832

Scotland + Out ("Oot") = Scoot

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Not sure what it's like on the ground, but here in the US we're assuming that Scotland abandoning the sinking ship is a foregone conclusion.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol all the little Englishmen posting out their sex arses about how they voted to stay a decade ago which may as well be world war 2

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Brits are going to attempt to scuttle their every attempt, and they might succeed in doing so.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not sure what it's like on the ground, but here in the US we're assuming that Scotland abandoning the sinking ship is a foregone conclusion.

nah. perfidious albion won't allow them to leave, and scotland leaving without the assent of the rest of the uk would probably result in spain blocking them from entering the eu, which would really gently caress scotland up

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

agreed, and even in this same thread; from the outside looking in, I don't see scotland as staying in the union. All of the historical necessities to breaking the union have seemed to arrive and then brexit happened. Once Scotland and N.I. go, what is stopping the Welsh or the NIP?

and all of this has been such a massive self own on the part of the supposed ruling classes. the aristocrats made deliberate decisions that made the situation worse.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I selfishly hope they stay, or at least leave and start bombing the tories.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you're allowed to bomb rogue states if you've got sovrenty and are part of the eu right

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

redleader posted:

nah. perfidious albion won't allow them to leave, and scotland leaving without the assent of the rest of the uk would probably result in spain blocking them from entering the eu, which would really gently caress scotland up

Catalan Indy is dead. Spain wants Gibraltar.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bedpan posted:

agreed, and even in this same thread; from the outside looking in, I don't see scotland as staying in the union. All of the historical necessities to breaking the union have seemed to arrive and then brexit happened. Once Scotland and N.I. go, what is stopping the Welsh or the NIP?

and all of this has been such a massive self own on the part of the supposed ruling classes. the aristocrats made deliberate decisions that made the situation worse.

Wales won't leave because without England they basically would be, to paraphrase another goon, reduced to relying on their vast natural bounty of gravel and consonants. At least the Scots have oil and tourism.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm pretty sure that SNP are going to gently caress Indy2 up somehow, not least because they have become a corrupt ruling class unto themselves. I still get belly laughs out of looking at Scottish Tories and especially Labour somehow succeeding at being even more useless than thought possible, lol

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Isn't this the area of sea that has something like 1,000,000 tons of unexploded munitions from WW2 sitting in it? And the trench is so deep a tunnel under it would feel more like a roller coaster?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dravs posted:

Isn't this the area of sea that has something like 1,000,000 tons of unexploded munitions from WW2 sitting in it? And the trench is so deep a tunnel under it would feel more like a roller coaster?

yes, the whitest of all white elephants

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Most of the North Channel is about 40m deep but Beaufort's Dyke (where we dropped all the munitions) is is like 300m deep

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Scotlands back baby (AWOOO) (bagpipe howl) its back

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

What would the tunnel even do about the current NI border? Do Tories think that going under the border is the one weird trick which means you can just ignore it altogether, like digging under the Berlin Wall or something? of course they do

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Further north there's a possible crossing across the Strait of Moyle that's only 12 miles and doesn't have to deal with the gigantic trench full of explosives. Unfortunately a connection there would be between two lovely farm tracks in completely isolated parts of Scotland / Northern Ireland.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I mean, I suppose a bright side for the Tories is it means they get to bung another few million at their school buddies before they declare it completely unfeasible again.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
They could be proposing a floating tunnel instead of an under seafloor one but yeah, it's still not happening anyway.

Also iirc wouldn't the tunnel crossing connect pretty remote parts of both countries? I seem to recall that people would have to drive way out of their ways to get to either end of the tunnel

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think part of the idea is that brexit threw up loads of issues with NI / RoI trade, which was "solved" by keeping NI in the single market. Having a road link between GB and NI means you can trade via that route instead, reducing the need for NI / RoI trade so that removing NI from the single market and establishing a hard border becomes more feasible

This of course ignores all the cultural / historical reasons why a hard border is a terrible idea, but Tories

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So Scotland is pushing for independence from the UK while also trying to build a big new rail bridge to the UK?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pryor on Fire posted:

So Scotland is pushing for independence from the UK while also trying to build a big new rail bridge to the UK?

Scotland doesn't have anything to do with it. It's all:

Dravs posted:

I mean, I suppose a bright side for the Tories is it means they get to bung another few million at their school buddies before they declare it completely unfeasible again.

now that HS2 is getting old and boring they need something new and shiny to zazz up the investors with.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Gats Akimbo posted:

Scotland doesn't have anything to do with it. It's all:

now that HS2 is getting old and boring they need something new and shiny to zazz up the investors with.

some tories think the hs2 won them some northern votes , so by that logic this might win them scottish and northern irish votes

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

MikeCrotch posted:

Also iirc wouldn't the tunnel crossing connect pretty remote parts of both countries? I seem to recall that people would have to drive way out of their ways to get to either end of the tunnel

The two options are Portpatrick to Larne, which isn't too bad - Portpatrick is within a couple of hours of Glasgow and Carlisle, and Larne is like a half hour from Belfast. Unfortunately a bridge / tunnel connecting them would be 28 miles long and have to deal with the trench full of explosives.

The other option is only 12 miles between the Mull of Kintyre and Torr Head and doesn't cross Beaufort's Dyke but both those places are really remote and would need tons of work on the surrounding roads, particularly on the Scottish side.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Probably be easier to sink an artificial tunnel than dig all the way under the bedrock but I'm an idiot who knows nothing of engineering so maybe not.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Afaik the UK has to let the Scots leave, which would be a stupid thing for them to do.
Essentially the entire British establishment is anti SNP
So I think they just won't allow it.

Otoh other comedy options are the Scots vote the same way again. Narrow remain victory.

Or the Scots do leave and realise theyr a country of like 14 people whose main industry is lack of infrastructure.
I like it here but an eyebrow raising number of Scots act like Scotland and England are similarly sized and developed, when Scotland is 10x smaller and half of it has literally a single road

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Afaik the UK has to let the Scots leave, which would be a stupid thing for them to do.
Essentially the entire British establishment is anti SNP
So I think they just won't allow it.

Otoh other comedy options are the Scots vote the same way again. Narrow remain victory.

Or the Scots do leave and realise theyr a country of like 14 people whose main industry is lack of infrastructure.
I like it here but an eyebrow raising number of Scots act like Scotland and England are similarly sized and developed, when Scotland is 10x smaller and half of it has literally a single road

Counterpoint: england fuckin sucks balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

plenty of functional countries are about the size of scotland, though i suspect that you're right in that there's a hint of the brexiteer delusion regarding the likely outcome of a separation

it'd be seriously traumatic for several years, and though they'd end up making their own ruling class out of it, reasonably they'd still all go to oxbridge and be basically adjunct to the rUK one

in sum i'd probably be pro-indy were i scottish, but it's not as huge a deal as it's portrayed, i think