Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

:same:

Are they actually doing a thing tuesday? I haven't seen anything about that--the only thing I've seen for dates for reveal were the video where they had a date that they pulled down and replaced with a much more vague time

Someone on a German forum found a presentation stating the 16th, but a Korean forum is saying the 23rd so who knows?

Really leaning towards the ID4 right now, some minor nuisances on the 1st like lack of proper keyless entry but I think it'll hold its value pretty well so probably will not be expensive to own for a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
So basically all still speculation? The only official word is some time in february as far as I've found. Not that it matters since it probably won't be available for at least another 6 months, and the whole SK/LG fight might screw it all up here

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

So basically all still speculation? The only official word is some time in february as far as I've found. Not that it matters since it probably won't be available for at least another 6 months, and the whole SK/LG fight might screw it all up here

The deal with Apple fell through :v:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/other/hyundai-and-kia-say-they-e2-80-99re-not-in-talks-to-make-the-apple-car/ar-BB1duG4k?ocid=uxbndlbing
(still just a bunch of speculation, I'm messing around)

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

2022 Bolt EV is 31k before incentives for 259 mi, 34k for 250 mi for Bolt EUV. That's -msrp-

No updates to the battery in general, sounds like same DCFC speed.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 14, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was expecting them to put 4wd on the EUV at least, hmm. SuperCruise is cool though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wish it didn't look angry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I wish it was big enough to have two cupholders.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I do enjoy that the hyundai/kia platform is called E-GMP..

Bring out the E-GMP! etc

I am a child

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Godholio posted:

I wish it was big enough to have two cupholders.

:confused:

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
I’m really hoping Rivian will make a smaller SUV or a small sized truck as their platform evolves and expands. The current vehicles are a bit too large for our needs but I love all the work they’re doing!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wish it was driving focused enough to have no cupholders

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

DoomTrainPhD posted:

A volt in the intermittent

I'd rather slam my dick in a door than deal with domestic car dealers ever again. Plus the volt felt cheap(er) than the model 3. Like rental car tier vs mid grade honda tier.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

All the angles I saw hid the rear of the two, whoops. Good, but tandem cupholders suck too.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Westy543 posted:

2022 Bolt EV is 31k before incentives for 259 mi, 34k for 250 mi for Bolt EUV. That's -msrp-

I read that this has more legroom than the 2022 Bolt hatchback, but less storage space. My 2019Bolt has the most legroom I've ever had in a car, so I don't know why GM did this. I guess they needed to put one bizarre decision into this car

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Westy543 posted:

That's a compelling option for just about anyone, especially if GM gets their federal tax credit back. A $24k OTD EV like that would lease for $100-200/mo. Just need GM marketing and their dealer network to get on board and stop loving people.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shamino posted:

I'd rather slam my dick in a door than deal with domestic car dealers ever again. Plus the volt felt cheap(er) than the model 3. Like rental car tier vs mid grade honda tier.

The 2nd Gen volt has a great interior and unlike the Tesla didn’t have horrendous build quality. When I hit black ice two years ago it took Tesla FIVE MONTHS and a call to the Michigan AG to get a fender and front bumper. Tesla also refused to provide a rental. At the time I was planning on moving to California and when I called Tesla to ask what would happen if they still hadn’t got me my replacement parts by the time I moved to SoCal they told me I would have to pay for transportation of the 3.

In contrast, when I was rear-ended in my Volt, the Chevy dealer lent me a premium 2018 Volt and the repairs were done in a week.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Shamino posted:

That's a compelling option for just about anyone, especially if GM gets their federal tax credit back. A $24k OTD EV like that would lease for $100-200/mo. Just need GM marketing and their dealer network to get on board and stop loving people.

Even if they don't, the bolt has had 8k+ in manufacturer incentives for more than a year now, which I'm sure would disappear the moment the tax credit was reinstated

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man I was looking at the Taycan and was liking it more and more. Then I realised that I'm too poor to buy it and it wouldn't work as a family car anyway. Still, a man can dream...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Ioniq 5 premiere is Feb 22 11pm Pacific time.
https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/ioniq/ioniq5

Stuff you can see already
  • 20 inch rims
  • it's a CUV
  • some physical controls visible for climate, volume knob, source selection, parking sensors, etc
  • 2 stalks on the right of the steering wheel -- don't know Hyundai's controls, besides the wipers, what is the other one?
    Edit; probably the shifter, duh.
  • sliding center console, like on the Nissan Ariya
  • pixel headlights
  • full-width clamshell hood
  • extending leg rest like some of those old chaueffer driven Korean and Japanese cars Doug DeMuro has reviewed
  • flat floor allows you to exit either side of the vehicle
  • eco interior made out of eco-leather and rape flower oils
  • 3.5kW inverter on board for power outlets, interior & exterior
  • 10 to 80% in 18 minutes, 100km in 5 minutes
  • E-GMP is not ICE dervied, allowing long wheelbase
  • A/C hardware relocated further forward to where an ICE engine would be
  • sliding rear seats maybe? It's ambigious if it's just talking about how the E-GMP chassis can be configured

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 15, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just had a look around an Enyaq in the same config as this video, white with Lodge wool-mix interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGG2EXrmvzk

Really nice interior, more understated with less garish colors than in some of the official photos. There's also a lot to be said for well engineered doors. It is a lip around the lower edge which prevents dirt from getting in, normal handles and frames (!) and that car buyer's favourite, a nice close. You just give it a little swing so it gets past a levered pivot and whomp it's properly shut. Big adjustment range on the seat and steering wheel, I gave myself plenty of room (6 ft, 183 cm) but still had plenty of knee space behind myself. Just a really nice car all around.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

Just had a look around an Enyaq in the same config as this video, white with Lodge wool-mix interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGG2EXrmvzk

Really nice interior, more understated with less garish colors than in some of the official photos. There's also a lot to be said for well engineered doors. It is a lip around the lower edge which prevents dirt from getting in, normal handles and frames (!) and that car buyer's favourite, a nice close. You just give it a little swing so it gets past a levered pivot and whomp it's properly shut. Big adjustment range on the seat and steering wheel, I gave myself plenty of room (6 ft, 183 cm) but still had plenty of knee space behind myself. Just a really nice car all around.

Looks nice. I'll have to go feel that cloth and see how well I fit. Hopefylly it feels as nice as it look. I'm hoping good quality cloth interiors are becoming a thing. The Enyaq look good in white as well.

Edit: Really drat expensive though once they nickle and dime you for basic function. :/

Charles posted:

Exciting!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 15, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Charles posted:

Awesome. The new hyundai/kia offerings are honestly the models I was most interested for this year. Hopefully, it comes early enough, or at least hopefully it will get a rough date. If it's out this calendar year in the US, I am probably cancelling my id.4 reservation

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Man I was looking at the Taycan and was liking it more and more. Then I realised that I'm too poor to buy it and it wouldn't work as a family car anyway. Still, a man can dream...

You would need to set expectations about how much stuff the family takes, but it's surprisingly roomy in the back. I'd be happy back there for a decently long journey as a passenger. The ride is very smooth and it's also super quiet.

Poor thing needs a clean.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

knox_harrington posted:

You would need to set expectations about how much stuff the family takes, but it's surprisingly roomy in the back. I'd be happy back there for a decently long journey as a passenger. The ride is very smooth and it's also super quiet.

Poor thing needs a clean.

As a not-yet-a-parent (but planning to be soon :3:) I probably underestimate how much is needed. But I guess it would need to fit a pram and bag with stuff for the kid. After that it shouldn't be too bad. I actually have a KIA Optima PHEV right now, and that car is roomy as hell and will have no problem. But my next car will be an EV, and man does the Taycan seem like a nice car and while I can't afford it (or rather don't want to "afford it"), I'll make more money soon. Still expensive as hell in my country though, but second hand might be a better option by then.

When I was a kid, we drove on holidays in a Mitsubishi Lancer estate and had 3 kids + all our poo poo including a pram in it it worked fine so that's kinda my reference.

VVV: Probably. I walked past a lancer not too long ago and couldn't believe we actually fit a whole family + gear in one of those.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 15, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm guessing the Taycan has less useable storage space than a Lancer wagon.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

wk057 made a pretty interesting post about the Tesla 85 kWh battery issues. Most of this makes sense to me (as an EE), though I still have (unanswered) questions about the supercharger throttling that he specifically doesn't want to get into in that writeup.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

MrOnBicycle posted:

As a not-yet-a-parent (but planning to be soon :3:) I probably underestimate how much is needed.

I promise you do!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

wk057 made a pretty interesting post about the Tesla 85 kWh battery issues. Most of this makes sense to me (as an EE), though I still have (unanswered) questions about the supercharger throttling that he specifically doesn't want to get into in that writeup.

There were a couple of posts on r/teslamotors about getting supercharging back recently, so it may still be related, the BMS just wants more time to be confident about condition x/z?

Interesting, regardless.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Jaguar will be an electric-only brand by 2025, Land Rover to follow by 2030: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/breaking-jaguar-become-all-electric-brand-2025

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

• 10 to 80% in 18 minutes, 100km in 5 minutes

Somebody, anybody, put together a competent charging competitor to tesla. There are a lot of great EVs coming out with comparable range and feature sets and that's really the last differentiator.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Charles posted:

After the fantastic experience my wife and I have been having with our Ioniq hybrid, we've basically decided this is the next family car. And this may sound weird, but one of the reasons the 5 looks so intriguing (besides the mechanicals which will be good) is the style.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m nearly certain that my next car will be on the e-gmp. We’ve owned a hyundai and a kia for the past 5 years and they’ve been trouble free, extremely useful vehicles with great service and actually nice dealership experiences.

As a tall I’m especially excited by the seat sliding abilities! Usually when I go car shopping the first disqualification is if I can’t get my legs in comfortably. It prevented me from getting the last gen volvo v60 :sigh:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

Somebody, anybody, put together a competent charging competitor to tesla. There are a lot of great EVs coming out with comparable range and feature sets and that's really the last differentiator.

Well, that and battery production. VW & GM plan on having their own battery production facilities up and running by this year I think. Only Chinese auto makers can match them at the moment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

I'm trying! Give me a few months! Geeze!

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Jaguar will be an electric-only brand by 2025, Land Rover to follow by 2030: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/breaking-jaguar-become-all-electric-brand-2025

Going full electric by 2025, by...killing off their flagship electric sedan that was supposed to release later this year!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/electric-jaguar-xj-scrapped-part-brand-reinvention-plan

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wasn’t Jaguar Land Rover just trying to push out FUD about electric cars, or was it some other heritage automaker?

It was Aston Martin.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 15, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Aston Martin was linked to an EV disinformation campaign, if that is what you are thinking of.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Orvin posted:

Aston Martin was linked to an EV disinformation campaign, if that is what you are thinking of.

Ahhh got my old fashioned British automakers mixed up.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I shared that info to my aunt who works a a Jaguar/Land Rover dealership, she said she hopes to be out of that line of work before they make the switch so maybe not everyone in the industry's super excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpenix Blonia
Nov 27, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

As a not-yet-a-parent (but planning to be soon :3:) I probably underestimate how much is needed. But I guess it would need to fit a pram and bag with stuff for the kid. After that it shouldn't be too bad.

You should definitely take a rear-facing child seat with you when you go look at vehicles.