Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yates posted:

I finally finished Valhalla. There is a great game in this somewhere but overall this game was just entirely too long for me. Parts of this game were awesome, but so much of it was just annoying time filler. This was my first AC game and I didn't give a poo poo at all about the AC stuff. I more or less liked the main plots across the different regions but there were just too many of them. Really the last 40-50% of the game I was just mainlining the main quests trying to get to the end, so I can't really comment on any of the side quests from that point on, I didn't do any of them. Parts of the game are a lot of fun, some of the areas are fun to explore, some of the characters are pretty neat but overall it was just too long. I'm glad I played it but I have no interest in every playing it again.

Pick up Black Flag next time it goes on a really deep sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

There were some rumors going around that the next AC would be on the Indian subcontinent during the last days of the Mughal Empire, which would be a welcome change of scenery. It seems like no matter what time period you go to, there's no shortage of evil British people to murder!

I mean technically in Valhalla you are the one evilly invading and colonising the British (well, English, British means something different at this time), sooo there's that

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Alchenar posted:

Pick up Black Flag next time it goes on a really deep sale.

Black Flag is nearly perfect aside from the loving ship tailing mission.

I just worked through the first chapter of The First Blade, and man Darius is a cool dude but his son needs to gently caress off.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Oh his son will gently caress but not off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DreadUnknown posted:

I just worked through the first chapter of The First Blade, and man Darius is a cool dude but his son needs to gently caress off.

If you don't wanna get to the stupid part of the DLC that everybody hates, don't go back to the house in Dyme after saying goodbye to Darius & his son on the boat and call it a night.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

I think I would happily pay for a remaster that got rid of all the zoning.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

Oh his son will gently caress but not off.

:golfclap:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DreadUnknown posted:

Honestly, it's not just the ship tailing, but all of the tailing. I tried replayed it recently, and I had forgotten just how much of that game is tailing. I gave up a certain ways in because I was sick of it. I loved the game when I originally played it, so I'm sure once you get through enough of the story and just get to do whatever the gently caress you want it's great again, but by the millionth time I was told to follow someone but stay out of sight, I was done. Like, this is not why I like the game, dammit. I wanna pirate!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, it's not just the ship tailing, but all of the tailing. I tried replayed it recently, and I had forgotten just how much of that game is tailing. I gave up a certain ways in because I was sick of it. I loved the game when I originally played it, so I'm sure once you get through enough of the story and just get to do whatever the gently caress you want it's great again, but by the millionth time I was told to follow someone but stay out of sight, I was done. Like, this is not why I like the game, dammit. I wanna pirate!

Tailing missions aren't fun gameplay, but I've remembered just how much plot and character exposition those old games dump on you in those moments. They're generally a full 5 minutes of you getting invested in the people you are trailing and why you care about killing them without you realising it.

The new games haven't found a way to replicate that element of the formula yet.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Would be awesome to see a Black Flag remake with the newer systems in play tbh.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Black Flage remake instead of that pirate thing would be cool, in the engine version for Valhalla because that game is nice lookin and runs like butter for me.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
There are some sales on PS for Assassin's Creed titles, and I'm wondering what the consensus is on Black Flag, Rogue, and Unity. Looking back a page or two people seem to like Black Flag quite a bit, but the sale I'm looking at is only worth it if all three of those are generally considered worthwhile.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

All three of them are worthwhile and better than the dumb RPGs.

Black Flag is the weakest of the three with tiny landmaps and a disjointed story, but the protagonist is cool, naval combat is great and it was the last hurrah of the much-regretted multiplayer.

Rogue is heavy on the fanservice but a it has a cool twist on the formula, it's more of Blag Flag really but at a smaller scale.

Unity is a great game, most beautiful AC so far, a perfect city, it was marred but a troubled launch (although the bugs were greatly exaggerated, it was less buggy at launch than Odysssey after a full year of patches), now it runs just fine. The rift system was great and I wish we had seen more of it. With respect to the franchise it's the opposite of Rogue, it goes out of its way to avoid tying into the other games (where the hell is Lafayette?). Very recommended. Whitewashes the Revolution a little though...

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Unity is at a point were the story is the weakest part by far, but the location itself is really well made and all the major bugs are fixed.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I just defeated the Grand Master of the Order in Valhalla and the achievement didnt unlock. Any way to knock sense into it?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Sandwolf posted:

I just defeated the Grand Master of the Order in Valhalla and the achievement didnt unlock. Any way to knock sense into it?

Its known to be broken and nobody has unlocked this achievement since the patch a month ago. Youll just have to wait until the next patch.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Black Flag is a great pirate game. Rogue is really a refinement of BF but adds a lot more of assassins lore and the setting is less familiar for most people. Unity still remains the worst game in the series and, in my opinion, saves Valhalla from this title.

Just in case you believe someone telling you that the bugs are gone the game is shoving its multiplayer component in your face and that thing is probably the most broken thing I ever saw in AAA gaming, worse than Cyberpunk 2077.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, it's still buggy. Can't interact with the tattoo person, apparently I can only hope that they'll decide they like me whenever I finish a story arc, and that's not a guarantee. I've already finished a couple and it's still happening.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You know, it's the little things that pull you out of the game. I can watch Eivor fall off a cliff or get torn apart by wild dogs and it's no big deal. But watching her swan dive into a foot of water just makes me flinch every single time.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Rogue is supposed to be a better game than III, right? Might as well just play through every one of these sons of bitches while I'm on a tear, but both cost $30 at this point in time for some reason, so I'm trying to decide which.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rogue is miles better than 3 yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah they're pretty much all better than 3. I'd put unity at the bottom of the list (1 gets a pass for being the first game) personally but I'm a weirdo who kind of liked 3, but I'll admit it's one of the worst of the series

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sandwolf posted:

Rogue is supposed to be a better game than III, right? Might as well just play through every one of these sons of bitches while I'm on a tear, but both cost $30 at this point in time for some reason, so I'm trying to decide which.

At least one of them will go on sale for like $15 in the next month if you can hold off

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wolfsheim posted:

At least one of them will go on sale for like $15 in the next month if you can hold off

I'm on Xbox, I haven't seen either go on sale for a year or so now. I think they stop remembering to put the old games on sale as time goes. There's a sale on Xbox right now and it's only Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

I'm on Xbox, I haven't seen either go on sale for a year or so now. I think they stop remembering to put the old games on sale as time goes. There's a sale on Xbox right now and it's only Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla.

If you buy the Odyssey complete edition you get some updated versions of III and Liberation included as DLC.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Sandwolf posted:

It'll probably go on discount again in the next major seasonal sale.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Arivia posted:

If you buy the Odyssey complete edition you get some updated versions of III and Liberation included as DLC.

Yeah it's annoying because that seems like "bang-for-your-buck", get the Odyssey DLC, III, and Liberation - but Rogue seems to be the better game, and they're the same price right now.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Ah, I assumed the never-ending Ubisoft sales were across all spectrums, but maybe that's just a PSN thing.

So far, 3 is the worst I've played by a big margin, outside of the (extremely minimal) lore ties to Valhalla and the end of Desmond's story (if you care about the modern day plot at all). I don't think people dislike Rogue so much as even AC fans have barely played it, so of the two I would go with that because even though I've yet to play it it sounds at least...competent!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Rogue feels like half of a normal Assassin's Creed game with twice the collectables, but what is there is fairly solid.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Weird, Rogue always felt like a slightly janky Black Flag to me. Guess I should give it another spin.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ironslave posted:

Rogue feels like half of a normal Assassin's Creed game with twice the collectables, but what is there is fairly solid.

To be fair, if the last three games were half as long as they are they would be better for it (and I say this despite Origins being my favorite AC game)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

There were some rumors going around that the next AC would be on the Indian subcontinent during the last days of the Mughal Empire, which would be a welcome change of scenery. It seems like no matter what time period you go to, there's no shortage of evil British people to murder!

yeah, id love that. it sounds like new AC is getting delayed until early 2022 probably because of covid and other poo poo. i also heard there might be a smaller AC title this year thats more linear than the newer ones as like a holdover.

Yates posted:

I finally finished Valhalla. There is a great game in this somewhere but overall this game was just entirely too long for me. Parts of this game were awesome, but so much of it was just annoying time filler. This was my first AC game and I didn't give a poo poo at all about the AC stuff. I more or less liked the main plots across the different regions but there were just too many of them. Really the last 40-50% of the game I was just mainlining the main quests trying to get to the end, so I can't really comment on any of the side quests from that point on, I didn't do any of them. Parts of the game are a lot of fun, some of the areas are fun to explore, some of the characters are pretty neat but overall it was just too long. I'm glad I played it but I have no interest in every playing it again.

i am still on the first Ivarr thing and i am just trying to become a dumb powerhouse so i can kick everyone's rear end easier. plus dlc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No matter what you might think about AC3, I think we can all agree that were lucky it got made before Hamilton

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Wolfsheim posted:

To be fair, if the last three games were half as long as they are they would be better for it (and I say this despite Origins being my favorite AC game)

Rogue is my favorite one right after Origins (but there are still 5 games in the series I haven't played), so I criticize it with love.

Ainsley McTree posted:

No matter what you might think about AC3, I think we can all agree that we’re lucky it got made before Hamilton

I sometimes wonder how many millennials learned how much the Founding Fathers were bastards from AC3. It was pushing up against a lot of whitewashing and propaganda from many history classes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

I also wanted to reply that "twice as short with double the collectibles and optional stuff" is actually a good direction for AC game. Rogue is obviously a budget title and it accidentally stumbled into the good flow because they didn't have the budget for additional missions. This makes some of the things in the game fall flat (you'd expect your fancy obvious Templar base to have some plot significance or to be attacked by Assassins from time to time, but it's just there for a trophy room).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The sense I get of rogue is that black flag was way more successful than ubisoft anticipated, so they quickly tasked a team with making a palette-swapped version of it to squeeze a little more money out of that idea. And you know what, I'm glad they did, because I'm exactly the kind of sucker that that game was made for

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So I've finished the Sigurd story and am now, just based on real history, approaching what must be the end. Although I've said that about six times now. Am I crazy for trying to beat Hamptonscire 120 points underlevelled? gently caress all this grinding. The main story is 50 hours too long without doing anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can beat Hamptonscire while being pretty underleveled, in fact it might actually be a somewhat decent challenge rather than just kind of steamrolling everything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So is the ending of valhalla supposed to be for super fans or something? That was way less enjoyable than odyssey for a normy like me that's more interested in murder simulator

I don't understand why those people in the cabin are like totally cool with this person that's hanging out now in there by himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't understand why those people in the cabin are like totally cool with this person that's hanging out now in there by himself

Their world is about to end, without a deus ex machina.