Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The best thing about Alone is how it exposes all these military dudes as total dilettantes who aren't half as effective as they think they are. Like, they have to go home with all the delusions about their capabilities completely shattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The thing that sucks the most about alone is seeing most of the female contestants destroy at all survival stuff and building some of the most impressive shelters but just get caught by the weight limit.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's totally the best part, and the midwesterners who have never seen the damp before.

It's filmed really close to where I live, so I get to feel all smug about being comfortable in that kind of environment.

Seems like after the initial week-long-cull of the unprepared, it's the isolation that gets to people and causes them to tap out.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

halfway thorough season 2 and there's a not small number of people who are going in to this at points in their lives where they should not be.

Like "my wife is very pregnant with our first born" and "my mum has inoperable brain cancer and might not be alive by the time I leave" type of scenarios.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

AceClown posted:

halfway thorough season 2 and there's a not small number of people who are going in to this at points in their lives where they should not be.

Like "my wife is very pregnant with our first born" and "my mum has inoperable brain cancer and might not be alive by the time I leave" type of scenarios.
I have to wonder how many of them told themselves it was responsible to try and win the money at this point but really they just thought the survival stuff would be a distraction and weren't anticipating the opposite happening. Like, in the brain cancer case, or if you're excited about being a parent but also nervous and whoops here's a nice big justifiable distraction, won't all that money help with the kid???

I think everyone vaguely daydreams about running off into the wilderness when under a lot of stress but most people don't actually try and do that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
All these bear encounter stories are cute. My aunt lives in Uganda and my mom and another aunt went to visit a few years ago. They spent most of the time out in the jungle and national parks. They were not really camping but they did go to some "resorts" that were very rustic.

At one place they were having dinner when a hippo decided it wanted to join them. There wasn't much they could do but stand back and watch.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The thing that sucks the most about alone is seeing most of the female contestants destroy at all survival stuff and building some of the most impressive shelters but just get caught by the weight limit.

Season 6 spoilers - a lady contestant is in the last 2 survivors but she didn't bring an axe so couldn't get through the ice to fish when the lake freezed over.

i actually felt a bit misled by the editing because the winner was way more succesful than the show was trying to make out.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

What this show is teaching me is that humans aren't really designed to survive on their own, even if it's possible with the right training, good luck, and a clever pick of starting supplies.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ive just started s1 on dailymotion (s6 i could watch on sky catchup) and jeeze these guys suck compared to the people on the later seasons. where did they find them? we got a cop who made some stupid remarks about dealing with 'wild animals on the street' who shits himself over a bear and now a bloke who won't shut up about guns bailed because he heard some wolves howling lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PetraCore posted:

What this show is teaching me is that humans aren't really designed to survive on their own, even if it's possible with the right training, good luck, and a clever pick of starting supplies.

Yeah if they were in pairs it seems like it would be way easier to go 100 days.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I personally assumed pairs would be harder mentally because being with the other person 24/7 would drive you insane.

Season 4 is all pairs so see what you think!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

we got a cop who made some stupid remarks about dealing with 'wild animals on the street' who shits himself over a bear

he should have brought a police radio as one of his items so he could call in a half dozen other roided out racist freaks to violate the bear's civil rights

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Naked and Afraid is decent and all in pairs. The interpersonal stuff is definitely what makes or breaks those teams

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ante posted:

Naked and Afraid is decent and all in pairs. The interpersonal stuff is definitely what makes or breaks those teams

I still remember the one episode with the German guy and the batshit insane wanna be Goth girl. Man was she a hot loving mess.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

ive just started s1 on dailymotion (s6 i could watch on sky catchup) and jeeze these guys suck compared to the people on the later seasons. where did they find them? we got a cop who made some stupid remarks about dealing with 'wild animals on the street' who shits himself over a bear and now a bloke who won't shut up about guns bailed because he heard some wolves howling lol

I think they did a whole lot more location scouting in the later seasons that got the contestants set up in much better starting locations. Basically, none of them in s2 had trouble finding water. In s1 they were all about 5 miles from one another, but they're more like 10 miles in Season 2, which is an enormous difference in the scale of the area the show picked.

Like 6 people dropped out before a week in Season 1, and Season 2, 9 of them lasted that long.

I love this kooky lady who is catching so many fish in her gill net that she's throwing them back because she's getting monster 15-pounders that she can't even store the meat of.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

punishedkissinger posted:

Yeah if they were in pairs it seems like it would be way easier to go 100 days.

Probably if they started together, then at least work could be divided out to start. Mild Season 4 Spoiler: S4 has the added caveat that one participant has to set up camp while the other gets dropped off miles away and has to hike through the deep woods to the campsite, so they don’t get off that easy. More than a few teams get hosed by one member getting hurt while apart or the campsite person being overwhelmed /and unable to prep camp accordingly for their exhausted partner.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

I personally assumed pairs would be harder mentally because being with the other person 24/7 would drive you insane.

Season 4 is all pairs so see what you think!

Why would you have to be with the other person 24/7 like I’d expect my partner to be out fishing or collecting coconuts while I’m back at camp training the monkey butlers or whatever

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

bird with big dick posted:

Why would you have to be with the other person 24/7 like I’d expect my partner to be out fishing or collecting coconuts while I’m back at camp training the monkey butlers or whatever
Yeah, the advantage to a partner is you can split up tasks, guard your campsite, and mild injury is less devastating because you can recover at camp while guarding the supplies and fixing things up without starving to death.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

That's true in the beginning, but even if you're together 12 hours a day, that's enough to go insane from the tune he hums / he took more mouse stew than me / he won't stop whining / he's way too cheery.

Then as it goes on, you're in the hut in bed 23 hours a day just trying to conserve energy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

That's true in the beginning, but even if you're together 12 hours a day, that's enough to go insane from the tune he hums / he took more mouse stew than me / he won't stop whining / he's way too cheery.

Then as it goes on, you're in the hut in bed 23 hours a day just trying to conserve energy.

You can look at Survivor for this. People on there seem to do way, way, way better mentally than on Alone, and they're working under an inherently antagonistic structure where only one of them can win and they MUST lie and cheat the others to do it.

Except for that dude in Season 1 of Alone who eliminates himself through self-actualization after building a canoe and yurt and being in a much better position than the others and simply decides he's figured out what he wants to do in life through the experience.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PostNouveau posted:

Except for that dude in Season 1 of Alone who eliminates himself through self-actualization after building a canoe and yurt and being in a much better position than the others and simply decides he's figured out what he wants to do in life through the experience.
There was a famously grueling around-the-world single-handed sailing competition, the Sunday Times Golden Globe*. Bernard Moitissier, the guy who was way in the lead, decided that nah, he'd just rather sail, and headed off to do something else.

* If you've heard of it, it's because of Donald Crowhurst, who faked his location, went mad, and (probably) committed suicide.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

I :stare:-watched the first season and am putting together a group-watch speed-run with activities for my peeps so we can all enjoy the schadenfreude.

So far I am planning to start with an introductory handout with a map, climate data, and flora / fauna for the area, then do an equipment selection exercise from the allowed list; I'm planning on showing the contestant's selections but scrubbed of names and ranking.

We'll watch to the end of the first day (third commercial break), then pause to make some guesses for persons who are/commit: final four, winner, runner-up, first tap-out lol, it's so good, worst mistake (non-medical), worst mistake (medical), biggest blowhard, biggest tourist, most pathetic rationalization for quitting, best rationalization for quitting. In addition to the who, I think also we will try to guess what will be the dumbest shelter mistake, dumbest food mistake, dumbest predator mistake, wildcard dumbest dumbshit thing to do.

None of us have real survival training, but we are all very experienced backcountry campers and hikers, so while none of us have the illusion we could do this ourselves, we can spot when someone is loving up, for instance by drinking unfiltered, un-boiled, salt-marsh water -- holey poo poo what a chucklefuck!.

I plan on ff-ing through most of the series, but I don't want to miss the good cringey bits, though with the editing there is a lot of boring repetitiveness. Specifically, I want to make sure to hit the high points, like the dumbass who gets spooked about predators at their gill-net, so they drag their catch across the ground back to their camp creating a scent trail the entire way, and the guy who loses his flint and when he find out it fell in the fire he just built, puts the fire out to look for it in the ashes rather than planning on keeping a fire going and preparing materials for an emergency restart.

I need to think of some reward/punishments too, like if you are the first to call out a dangerous activity with a "Don't do that!" you have to describe the right way of doing it to everyone else who has to perform the task as incorrectly as your instructions allow while everyone drinks shots of whiskey (the last part will happen anyway).

Really, the best fun I've had watching a few people slowly starve in a long time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a famously grueling around-the-world single-handed sailing competition, the Sunday Times Golden Globe*. Bernard Moitissier, the guy who was way in the lead, decided that nah, he'd just rather sail, and headed off to do something else.

* If you've heard of it, it's because of Donald Crowhurst, who faked his location, went mad, and (probably) committed suicide.

Being so far ahead of the game that you realize the game doesn't interest you is a pretty baller move.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

emf posted:

I :stare:-watched the first season and am putting together a group-watch speed-run with activities for my peeps so we can all enjoy the schadenfreude.
, and the guy who loses his flint and when he find out it fell in the fire he just built, puts the fire out to look for it in the ashes rather than planning on keeping a fire going and preparing materials for an emergency restart.

I don't think he made a mistake there. Looking for his fire starter was a good move, and he had to do it. After he couldn't find it, he still survived another three weeks using friction fires, and eventually tapped out due to loneliness, which I think is impressive. Not like that idiot on season 1 that just lost his firestarter, and immediately freaked out and called for an evacuation instead of attempting to recover

S2 spoiler

ante fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 15, 2021

emf
Aug 1, 2002

ante posted:

I don't think he made a mistake there. Looking for his fire starter was a good move, and he had to do it. After he couldn't find it, he still survived another three weeks using friction fires, and eventually tapped out due to loneliness, which I think is impressive. Not like that idiot on season 1 that just lost his firestarter, and immediately freaked out and called for an evacuation instead of attempting to recover
I was talking about the Season 1 guy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eh, losing the ferrocerium puts him at a distinct disadvantage versus the rest of the competitors, and he made this mistake pretty early on.

Better to quit now than to go on for weeks afterward and lose anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If you can make fire once you're probably not doing too bad if you can keep embers going. Gonna cost you a lot of wood tho so that's a time/energy sink.

punishedkissinger posted:

I just watched a guy kill a musk ox with a knife so im pretty sure Alone isnt fake at this point

gently caress, that's hardcore. I've heard stories about dudes hunting feral cattle with axes but that's next level.

Got an episode and timestamp for that?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PetraCore posted:

I'm watching season 5(doing netflix season first because :effort:) and I just got to the guy who tapped out because he couldn't handle the isolation, despite having all his physical needs met. Which seems silly on the surface, but humans are social creatures and being utterly alone is draining even if you have food, water, and shelter.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Moitessier's moment of enlightenment was incredible. He had sailed down the Atlantic, past the Cape of Good Hope, across the Southern Ocean, past Australia, across the Pacific and round the Horn. He was well in the lead of the race. When the time came to turn north back up the Atlantic he decided he didn't want to go back to Europe, wired his PR agent saying he was carrying on "because I am happy at sea and perhaps to save my soul" and then decided to head for the Galapagos Islands, and so went past the Cape of Good Hope, across the Southern Ocean, past Australia, across the Pacific again. He did over 37,000 miles non stop.

I actually thought of the Golden Globe Race when I read the bit up the page about whether it would be easier to be in the wilderness alone or with another person. When Francis Chichester made his solo circumnavigation he made one stop in Australia, and he said the weeks after setting out again were the hardest psychologically because he had adjusted to solitude, then returned to the company of others and then had to readjust all over again. It was speculated that a non-stop voyage, while it would be much tougher on the boat, would be much easier on the man.

Crowhurst's tragic story sorta backs that up, as his logbooks and recordings suggest he took a real mental dive after his brief stop in Argentina, although of course he was piling all sorts of other pressures on himself and battling with a boat that needed constant bailing to stay afloat and constant attention to the steering.

The psychological contrast between the likes of Knox-Johnson (toasting the Queen as he went round the Horn) or Moitessier (doing yoga and writing philosophical poetry on deck) and Crowhurst, stuck in a cabin with a crate of electronics components, a broken clock and a book about Einstein's Theory of Relativity and ending up hearing whispering voices in his radio static and filling his logbook with a screed about God, sin, physics, time and truth is stark.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PostNouveau posted:

That guy was the real winner of season 1 imo. I liked him far better than the eventual last man standing.

Now I'm up to the point in season 2 where slightly spacey Portland lady decided to respond to a setback on her gill net by following a bear trail to see if she can steal food from bears, I'm sure this will work out well :catstare:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Moitessier's moment of enlightenment was incredible. He had sailed down the Atlantic, past the Cape of Good Hope, across the Southern Ocean, past Australia, across the Pacific and round the Horn. He was well in the lead of the race. When the time came to turn north back up the Atlantic he decided he didn't want to go back to Europe, wired his PR agent saying he was carrying on "because I am happy at sea and perhaps to save my soul" and then decided to head for the Galapagos Islands, and so went past the Cape of Good Hope, across the Southern Ocean, past Australia, across the Pacific again. He did over 37,000 miles non stop.

I actually thought of the Golden Globe Race when I read the bit up the page about whether it would be easier to be in the wilderness alone or with another person. When Francis Chichester made his solo circumnavigation he made one stop in Australia, and he said the weeks after setting out again were the hardest psychologically because he had adjusted to solitude, then returned to the company of others and then had to readjust all over again. It was speculated that a non-stop voyage, while it would be much tougher on the boat, would be much easier on the man.

Crowhurst's tragic story sorta backs that up, as his logbooks and recordings suggest he took a real mental dive after his brief stop in Argentina, although of course he was piling all sorts of other pressures on himself and battling with a boat that needed constant bailing to stay afloat and constant attention to the steering.

The psychological contrast between the likes of Knox-Johnson (toasting the Queen as he went round the Horn) or Moitessier (doing yoga and writing philosophical poetry on deck) and Crowhurst, stuck in a cabin with a crate of electronics components, a broken clock and a book about Einstein's Theory of Relativity and ending up hearing whispering voices in his radio static and filling his logbook with a screed about God, sin, physics, time and truth is stark.

I don't know where I read it, I think it was in a article about Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki or maybe it was about the Golden Globe Race, but this reminded me of how the author of said article pointed out that there are just some people for whom that level of solitude does not extract a psychological toll.

The overall context was describing the lone sailor, who had just spent months alone, upon coming ashore and meeting someone for the first time but instead of jumping off the boat and running up and hugging the first person, took the time to safely stow away everything, prep the boat, and only once they'd done everything, even the stuff that they could do later, did they disembark and greet the people who had gathered to see them.

And when they did, the author boggled at how they were very casual about it, as if they'd gone out for a sail that morning and had only then just come back in. How they seemed to show no ill effects from that impossibly long solitude. The author boggled at how, after months at sea alone, they could be so normal. There's just some people out there who, for whatever reason, are just wired differently and don't need that level of contact.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Having a partner in the wilderness is partly about that social contact, but that's not the whole story. It's also a lot about having someone to say "hey what are you doing" when you're about to make a careless mistake, perhaps due to fatigue or dehydration or starvation. Having someone to plan with makes you both make better plans (often), and avoid horrible ones (often). Often enough to make a difference in survival, anyway.

The multiplicative aspect of cooperative work is there, too, of course. There are some tasks for which two sets of hands are more than twice as easy as for one set of hands.

And, if two people are both hunting/gathering, they have the potential to cover twice as much area, and thus double their chances of happening across a resource; some of those resources supply needs for both people for multiple days, whether that's noticing a fruit tree or ambushing a deer.

Not to discount the psychological effects of solitude, of course. I'm just saying, there's more to it than that.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Almost like we evolved to seek out groups of other people for some reason

makes u think

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The idea that having a partner in a survival situation versus not having a partner would be annoying is mind boggling to me.

Being alone in the woods is never a good place to be even if you’re an expert.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ante posted:

Almost like we evolved to seek out groups of other people for some reason

makes u think

whatre you trying to say here

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
One competitor washed out almost entirely due to an incredibly stupid decision deciding to move his camp to an unscouted location during a rainstorm. I'm pretty sure that having another person around to say "no that's stupid, let's wait for a better time" would have kept him in the running.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The idea that having a partner in a survival situation versus not having a partner would be annoying is mind boggling to me.

This is mostly true. Almost all the time.

But think about the dumbest, most incompetent coworker you've ever had. The one that needed babysitting through the most basic poo poo and couldn't seem to grasp the concept of actions having consequences to save his life. The one who on multiple occasions had to be prevented from doing unbelievably stupid and unsafe things. Now he's your only companion, and he's got a great idea and it's a little risky but it'll totally work, he just needs to borrow the axe and firestarter for a bit. Dude just give me the axe it'll be fine trust me.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 16, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I watched the show awhile ago, but from what I remember, more people tapped out for mental reasons than actual physical safety reasons. Having exactly one other person there might (or might not) be a benefit physically, but it seems like it could easily exacerbate the mental reasons to leave.

Like, you know how carefully people's personalities are analyzed for space missions or overwintering in Antarctica, to make sure you mesh as a team and nobody will snap? Now there is exactly one other person, zero personality testing, no chain of command, no private space, more physical hardship, and snapping is as easy as one person pushing one button.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

I watched the show awhile ago, but from what I remember, more people tapped out for mental reasons than actual physical safety reasons. Having exactly one other person there might (or might not) be a benefit physically, but it seems like it could easily exacerbate the mental reasons to leave.

Like, you know how carefully people's personalities are analyzed for space missions or overwintering in Antarctica, to make sure you mesh as a team and nobody will snap? Now there is exactly one other person, zero personality testing, no chain of command, no private space, more physical hardship, and snapping is as easy as one person pushing one button.

At least in my experience hardship makes most people a lot more tolerable, much more so than does dealing with solitude and hardship at the same time.

No private space and no explicit chain of command is kinda the default for humanity, I’ve found you adapt surprisingly well to it even though it’s alien to how we live in modern society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

mobby_6kl posted:

You're saying I shouldn't bring a gun to a bear fight? What should I bring then?

Running shoes, and, if possible, a friend who's slower than you.

It's an old joke, but...it's an old joke for a reason.