Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RIP Warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, he can rest in piss.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vagabundo posted:

I hope Andre farted on his chest. gently caress Warrior, the miserable prick.

Really it's unfortunate that Andre didn't squish him into a fine paste that was hosed out of the ring. It would have been the most appropriate end to Jim Hellwig.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

My takeaway from this is that Andre was the big man seller of all time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldpainless posted:

RIP Warrior

He was... not a good person, in several respects.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rujasu posted:

I'm sure there's a ton missing from this, especially in terms of older wrestlers, but: http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers-with-highest-win-percentages.html

Cena sticks out to me as a guy who, while not quite as protected as Goldberg in WCW or Warrior in WWF, had a much longer period of dominance, and seems like a guy who beat lots of big names, in contrast to Goldberg having a Jerry Flynn or Scott Putski sacrificed to him every night. I'd say he's similar to a Sammartino or Andre in terms of being the top guy for a long time, but it's tough to compare between eras in terms of who had tougher opponents.
To add to what others have said: Unless there's some feature specific to that site that I'm not aware of, there's pretty much no reason to use ProFightDB. CageMatch.net and WrestlingData.com are much better resources. Of the two German sites, they have different features and some non-overlapping results, so both can be as useful as the other. WrestlingData is better for taking a quick look to see when someone might have been hurt or otherwise inactive because they have the month by month chart. Cagematch is better for using the search to find all of a wrestler's matches in a given promotion or location. WrestlingData has the "Encounters" feature, which Cagematch lacks and lets you see every match that 2 or more wrestlers had together. Cagematch is better for tracking the consensus on a given match because of their increasingly popular rating system. And so on.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Red posted:

Cagematch sez Savage beat him at an MSG TV show after the Rumble; this happened more than once for Savage, and it looks like Honky Tonk beat Warrior a few times by countout on the same platform. What was MSG TV? Was it only broadcast in New York?

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=18605

MSG network is owned by the fucker that ruined the knicks and rangers.

They used to show boxing, concerts and wrestling from msg back in the 70s and 80s. From what an older friend told me they would show wrestling live when it was at msg.

I think it was live nyc entertainment back then, where now it’s just sports which is weird since they don’t have baseball in the summer. So it’s just filler program from may to October.

They had a gene okerlund hosted show in the mid 2000s that would show an hour long classic msg show for 2 hours a week. It was cool to see a mid 80s house show followed by a raw from the late 90s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

MSG network is owned by the fucker that ruined the knicks and rangers.

They used to show boxing, concerts and wrestling from msg back in the 70s and 80s. From what an older friend told me they would show wrestling live when it was at msg.

I think it was live nyc entertainment back then, where now it’s just sports which is weird since they don’t have baseball in the summer. So it’s just filler program from may to October.

They had a gene okerlund hosted show in the mid 2000s that would show an hour long classic msg show for 2 hours a week. It was cool to see a mid 80s house show followed by a raw from the late 90s.

They have the Liberty in the summer and they would have baseball but they don't own a baseball team. MSG used to air the Yankees and the deal played a big part in the birth of the YES Network and the growth of regional sports networks. Which played a part in the growth of rights fees in sports and maybe you could argue in some way led to the WWE we see today.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I liked when WPIX would show the twilight zone during rain delays.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
God Bless Rick Rude

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IIRC Warrior lost those matches to Honky Tonk Man because they had to tape a bunch of syndicated stuff ahead of time before Warrior got the IC belt in kayfabe

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Forget about the matches with Savage; Halloween Havoc 98 was Warrior's best match.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always loved the story Heenan tells about Andre and the Warrior and Warrior was so sloppy he kept potatoing Andre until one match Andre just stuck his fist out and Warrior ran into it full tilt and was much more agreeable to work with from then on. Well. For Warrior. There was also the very depressed way Heenan talked about reviving the Weasel Suit gimmick with Warrior. "Well, I wanted to do it with Hogan but they had me do it with Warrior."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
i got bored so decided to check youtube for wcw and nwo videos from the last month and heres Flair in the month before WCW going under talking about Chi-Town Rumble with Ricky Steamboat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8h3ECMvt0k

also this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjOWnl39LKs

Hirez posted:

God Bless Rick Rude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikgGDcJ3f1w

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDAY1w732uQ

Lid fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 16, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I always loved the story Heenan tells about Andre and the Warrior and Warrior was so sloppy he kept potatoing Andre until one match Andre just stuck his fist out and Warrior ran into it full tilt and was much more agreeable to work with from then on. Well. For Warrior. There was also the very depressed way Heenan talked about reviving the Weasel Suit gimmick with Warrior. "Well, I wanted to do it with Hogan but they had me do it with Warrior."

"He's learning".

Any story involving Warrior getting briefly humbled is a good one.

Apparently Rude had to teach him a similar lesson, Rude was well known for being able to KO people with a slap, and Warrior got a taste when he gave Rude attitude about stiffing him.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 16, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Heenan (rightfully so) looked terrified whenever he had to do a spot with Warrior, especially at that Wrestlemania where I believe he really hosed up his neck.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that when he did the gorilla press and just kind of let Heenan drop awkwardly behind him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Heenan (rightfully so) looked terrified whenever he had to do a spot with Warrior, especially at that Wrestlemania where I believe he really hosed up his neck.

He needed surgery again because of it

I totally get why hed prefer Hogan. Hogan is purestrain scum, but is also the the top guy and isn't prone to injuring people.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He needed surgery again because of it

I totally get why hed prefer Hogan. Hogan is purestrain scum, but is also the the top guy and isn't prone to injuring people.

Yeah Hogan was a lot of things but I don't think there was ever much talk about him working unsafe

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It always weirds me out a little to hear apparently Owen liked him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DJExile posted:

Yeah Hogan was a lot of things but I don't think there was ever much talk about him working unsafe

I can't imagine when he WOULD injure someone outside of weapon shots or the bodyslam spot.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

I can't imagine when he WOULD injure someone outside of weapon shots or the bodyslam spot.

Also the infamous Hoganplex '88

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

Good thing you qualified the "outside of weapon shots", because Hogan's chairshots were just some of the most brutal, sickening shots that even made ECW, CZW or BJW look harmless. I mean, just look as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvp5bBVZ8Y

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Germansimp posted:

Good thing you qualified the "outside of weapon shots", because Hogan's chairshots were just some of the most brutal, sickening shots that even made ECW, CZW or BJW look harmless. I mean, just look as this:

That goddamn animal. If FUNB wasn't considered a hate symbol already, it is now.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Germansimp posted:

Tony: "What."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hogan wasn’t a spectacular worker by any means but he was rock solid at having a nice basic match even with horrible big stiffs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

It always weirds me out a little to hear apparently Owen liked him.

Owen liked Ahmed Johnson. I think it's fair to say Owen was just really nice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Yeah I was going to say it seemed Owen was basically the nicest guy in the business at the time, to the point that when he didn't apologize to Stone Cold for breaking his neck on that botched piledriver, everyone was very baffled by that.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2021

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
If you were there through Hulkamania in the 80’s, and weren’t a top spot guy yourself, why would you have beef with Hogan? He drew real money, gave a dozen different heels the best paying programs of their careers, and his place on the card wasn’t going to change

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

if I were Owen I might have dropped any pretense of liking Hogan post-Mania 9

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I was going to say it seemed Owen was basically the nicest guy in the business at the time, to the point that when he didn't apologize to Stone Cold for breaking his neck on that botched piledriver, everyone was very baffled by that.

I think JR talked about this, where he asked Owen to call Steve and apologize and check on him. Owen said he would, but never did - it was pretty clear to JR that he was too ashamed/embarrassed. The longer Owen waited, the more awkward it became; as a result, Steve didn't want to work with him (neither did Shawn, obviously), and Owen got dumped into the midcard, which, well, led to Owen getting into the Blue Blazer gimmick.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I think JR talked about this, where he asked Owen to call Steve and apologize and check on him. Owen said he would, but never did - it was pretty clear to JR that he was too ashamed/embarrassed. The longer Owen waited, the more awkward it became; as a result, Steve didn't want to work with him (neither did Shawn, obviously), and Owen got dumped into the midcard, which, well, led to Owen getting into the Blue Blazer gimmick.

Yeah that makes sense, I remember a story somewhere stating that while Owen was kayfabe playing up the fact he was proud of breaking Stone Cold's neck, internally he was beating himself up over it because he'd always been a safe worker and now he'd possibly paralyzed one of his closest friends for life, which probably just magnified how much shame he felt over it, leading to him not apologizing, and so on

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

King Bahamut posted:

If you were there through Hulkamania in the 80’s, and weren’t a top spot guy yourself, why would you have beef with Hogan? He drew real money, gave a dozen different heels the best paying programs of their careers, and his place on the card wasn’t going to change

Because he could, and did, spike a few people's chances to be WWE champion, which could affect their earning potential down the line and he also stooged off the one major attempt at unionization.

IIRC, he nixed both DiBiase and Hennig reigns.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Hennig was Hogan's lowest drawing opponent, so I doubt Vince ever seriously considered making him champ. Don't know about DiBiase but in general it didn't make business sense to move the title off Hogan until 92/93.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Ahmed Johnson was cool and his enemies in the locker room overlapped with the Harts.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Hennig was Hogan's lowest drawing opponent, so I doubt Vince ever seriously considered making him champ. Don't know about DiBiase but in general it didn't make business sense to move the title off Hogan until 92/93.

DiBiase was originally supposed to win the tournament at WM, then lose to Hogan.

Hennig was supposed to be a transition champ to bridge Hogan and Warrior, I think

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Hindsight is 20/20, but I will forever be baffled DiBiase didn't go over at Survivor Series '89, then face Hogan at the Rumble. Then you could have Warrior win the Rumble and go on to face Hogan.

Hennig was great, but I have no idea how much his injuries weighed into decisions about whether he was a top guy at that time. Getting to the end of the Rumble with Hogan was probably sold as a big deal to him, but I don't think anything came of that, since Hogan moved on to Warrior and then Earthquake.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Hogan wasn’t a spectacular worker by any means but he was rock solid at having a nice basic match even with horrible big stiffs

Yeah Hogan as an in-ring worker kept things very simple. B&V had a great segment looking back at the famous Nitro match with Goldberg and loved how he just kept to a super basic offense.

Red posted:

Hennig was great, but I have no idea how much his injuries weighed into decisions about whether he was a top guy at that time. Getting to the end of the Rumble with Hogan was probably sold as a big deal to him, but I don't think anything came of that, since Hogan moved on to Warrior and then Earthquake.

I feel like it did quite a bit. His back was in rough shape for a while. He has that phenomenal Loser Leaves Town match with Flair when Flair went back to WCW and seemed to almost immediately be back in the booth. By all rights that should have strapped a rocket to him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Warrior is a guy I think about when various people on the net complain about wrestlers not being huge anymore or whatever, Warrior sucked poo poo at power spots and now you have guys that are physically smaller doing better and safer power moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

DJExile posted:

I feel like it did quite a bit. His back was in rough shape for a while. He has that phenomenal Loser Leaves Town match with Flair when Flair went back to WCW and seemed to almost immediately be back in the booth. By all rights that should have strapped a rocket to him.

I feel like it was a combination of his injuries, his ability to just sit back and collect the insurance, and Vince having something shinier to play with in Luger. It seems like they tried to bring back Hennig a few times over the next few years so he could feud with the likes of Bret, HBK and Luger in an important upper midcard role (at a time when the dire condition of the product could've really used a competent old hand who was over*) but to him it probably made way more sense to just sit it out. Someone here probably has more clarifying deets, idk.

On that note, I watched a few WWF shows with him doing commentary a while ago and I remember being surprised at how bad he was. He seemed bored, his jokes went nowhere and were often too mean-spirited to be more like Heenan's jibes. Was he nervous, especially since he was usually sharing duties with Vince? Probably still better than his WCW run though!

* He might not have been over enough to get even a transitional title run in the Hogan period, but I have to imagine he would've been a stand-out star in the New Generation?