Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Continuity NIP posted:

Interesting that it opens with an intro featuring the horrible revisionism and reformism of 1956 and 1978 but doesn't mention the NEP

link me to the blog your talkin about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fart simpson posted:

link me to the blog your talkin about

Chuang is https://chuangcn.org/blog/ the thing we're talking about is https://foreignlanguages.press/new-roads/from-victory-to-defeat-pao-yu-ching/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah i know the book, i read it. thanks for the blog link im gonna check it out

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fart simpson posted:

yeah i know the book, i read it. thanks for the blog link im gonna check it out

Haha poo poo sorry dude I didn't notice you were the guy who mentioned it in the first place, I thought you were an interested third party

Look upon my bad post, ye posters and despair

ContinuityNewTimes has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Feb 16, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReliableSources/status/1361008766184009729

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Navalny is supported by the West because he has no political power. That's just what we're into these days.

I mean yes, but the corruption does genuinely politically activate russians, so his movie was actually an unprecedented success, due to the anti-corruption angle. But ya, many more Russians would rather return to the USSR than become a liberal western style democracy.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I wasnt looking for anything I was just confused how the 'liberal democratic' opposition square this circle in their minds, I am under no illusion as to the general Chuddery of Russia.

I gotta say though, like if this is the best they can put forward what real difference do they provide in comparison to putin? are they actually gonna dismantle the oligarchs? are they gonna reform the nightmare capitalism? it seems the furthest they've thought about is 'we're not Putin' and if Navalny's hyper-nationalism is true it really kneecaps their ability to reach anyone outside of their circles and form an actual alternative to Putin.

well the difference between successful eastern european countries and horrifying shitholes is not personalities but institutions, how strong after the fall of the soviet union are free-speech, free elections, how fair are the courts and possibility of government change. Russia in particular is very, very bad with those and Navalny has a personal grudge against all of them because 1) the state channel propaganda smears him daily 2) he almost won the moscow mayor elections and the government had to step in to gently caress him over and 3) put his brother in prison as a warning not to gently caress with them. this is all fully funded by the oligarchs. they also sent death squads to kill several of his friends (Nemtsov's public shooting in front of the Kremlin being the prime example), tried to poison his wife and him and sent many into exile fearing for their lives. now these are all problems that make it harder for a broader political dialogue because people generally dont want to loving die and get the hint and emigrate, especially the nerve agent death squads part

despite weird sexpat-experts like levine claiming that the only thing he's doing is building a far-right coalition, navalny's current most powerful strategy is building a decentralized network of election committees and utilizing tactical voting to get oppositional figures into the government (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Voting_(Russia)) and trying to dislodge the main government party. this proved to have some success and often they were encouraging people to vote for very illiberal communist candidates and those candidates won much to the chagrin of liberals, and THEN in 2019 after protests (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Moscow_protests) and a lot of protestors being jailed, the same communists came out to speak up for the opposition. this all has local nuances and importantly gives a structural alternative to everythign being ruled from the kremlin which people like.

personally i dont want him to be a perfect guy that builds the perfect russia, i just have a personal interest in things going possibly going in the right direction

his ultra-nationalism is a typical "russian dad" type of poo poo where he laments how russia lost its imperial influence and countries dont learn about Pushkin or the russian language is pushed out by english, which is pretty typical for russians that grew up feeling like a cool empire. the outright xenophobia is long gone, he hasnt brought up immigrants in years because there are barely any left. its not an Estonia-like situation where right-wing populists get into power by trying to scare people with immigrants in a country with none. the far-right is currently very much pro-Putin because he is making russia great again by bringing crimea back and owning the yanks.

A pretty good article if you're curious to know more: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/02/01/true-beliefs-and-opportunism-navalnys-tangled-political-development-a72797

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1361032624567963648?s=19

He doesn't miss.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Somaen posted:

well the difference between successful eastern european countries and horrifying shitholes is not personalities but institutions, how strong after the fall of the soviet union are free-speech, free elections, how fair are the courts and possibility of government change. Russia in particular is very, very bad with those and Navalny has a personal grudge against all of them because 1) the state channel propaganda smears him daily 2) he almost won the moscow mayor elections and the government had to step in to gently caress him over and 3) put his brother in prison as a warning not to gently caress with them. this is all fully funded by the oligarchs. they also sent death squads to kill several of his friends (Nemtsov's public shooting in front of the Kremlin being the prime example), tried to poison his wife and him and sent many into exile fearing for their lives. now these are all problems that make it harder for a broader political dialogue because people generally dont want to loving die and get the hint and emigrate, especially the nerve agent death squads part

despite weird sexpat-experts like levine claiming that the only thing he's doing is building a far-right coalition, navalny's current most powerful strategy is building a decentralized network of election committees and utilizing tactical voting to get oppositional figures into the government (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Voting_(Russia)) and trying to dislodge the main government party. this proved to have some success and often they were encouraging people to vote for very illiberal communist candidates and those candidates won much to the chagrin of liberals, and THEN in 2019 after protests (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Moscow_protests) and a lot of protestors being jailed, the same communists came out to speak up for the opposition. this all has local nuances and importantly gives a structural alternative to everythign being ruled from the kremlin which people like.

personally i dont want him to be a perfect guy that builds the perfect russia, i just have a personal interest in things going possibly going in the right direction

his ultra-nationalism is a typical "russian dad" type of poo poo where he laments how russia lost its imperial influence and countries dont learn about Pushkin or the russian language is pushed out by english, which is pretty typical for russians that grew up feeling like a cool empire. the outright xenophobia is long gone, he hasnt brought up immigrants in years because there are barely any left. its not an Estonia-like situation where right-wing populists get into power by trying to scare people with immigrants in a country with none. the far-right is currently very much pro-Putin because he is making russia great again by bringing crimea back and owning the yanks.

A pretty good article if you're curious to know more: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/02/01/true-beliefs-and-opportunism-navalnys-tangled-political-development-a72797

Wow this explanation is really thorough and great thanks I learned a lot from this!

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
how is yasha levine a sexpat?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LittleBlackCloud posted:

how is yasha levine a sexpat?

it seems like they might be conflating Yasha Levine with Mark Ames/Matt Taibbi's alleged excapades in eXile magazine?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's 2021 and the flag of South Vietnam still flies in Florida

There's a big Vietnamese émigré community in Orlando, central Florida in general, and you can see them a fair deal there.

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

gradenko_2000 posted:

it seems like they might be conflating Yasha Levine with Mark Ames/Matt Taibbi's alleged excapades in eXile magazine?

maybe, but also wtf is this?

Somaen posted:

the outright xenophobia is long gone, he hasn't brought up immigrants in years because there are barely any left.

does that make things like this better?

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/813085392673112064?s=20

That article makes him seem like edgy russian pete buttigieg, a creature of western interests(which are noticeably not mentioned in the article you posted) with no real beliefs beyond ambition. I also think it's worth noting that Moscow Times is essentially a western paper. It was founded by a dutchman, who claims that he still controls it.

LittleBlackCloud has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Feb 16, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

LittleBlackCloud posted:

maybe, but also wtf is this?

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/813085392673112064?s=20

That article makes him seem like edgy russian pete buttigieg, a creature of western interests(which are noticeably not mentioned in the article you posted) with no real beliefs beyond ambition. I also think it's worth noting that Moscow Times is essentially a western paper. It was founded by a dutchman, who claims that he still controls it.

he's going to be yeltsin mk 2 if he gets anywhere near power. same old liberal privatizing poo poo with a new more west compliant set of profiteers

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
note to the rest of the world:

never trust a person or movement that is endorsed/"advised" by the american govt or american politicians they will always be bad for your country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1361721482729164810?s=19

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

surprised pikachu face

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Agrajag posted:

surprised pikachu face

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh I haven't seen any evidence that China didn't respond appropriately after the national government took over from hubei government, which was loving up

those articles are just because the western narrative needs a bad guy, would like china to play that role, and knows that having that headline show up now and again will make it a presumed 'true' part of the narrative

it will be written in western history books that china's government is solely to blame for the worldwide pandemic & it already is borderline 'common knowledge'

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw is 2018 party program would end relative free movement of Central Asians to Russia, anti-
immigration is still very much of his message. Basically he wants to take white nationalism and mix it with Yeltsin style reforms... to create a mixture that would be absolutely corrosive to Russian society at large.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mila kunis posted:

he's going to be yeltsin mk 2 if he gets anywhere near power. same old liberal privatizing poo poo

is Putin significantly different than this? serious question, for all the propaganda and counter-propaganda I know very little about him

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

indigi posted:

is Putin significantly different than this? serious question, for all the propaganda and counter-propaganda I know very little about him

Putin wants Russian capital in Russian hands, and also neighboring nations' capital in Russian hands. He is generally against foreign looting.

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Putin wants Russian capital in Russian hands, and also neighboring nations' capital in Russian hands. He is generally against foreign looting.

Mad funny that US let Yeltsin pick him

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

Putin is significantly worse because every single state enterprise and most other significant companies of the country are headed by his buds from his time in the secret services/90s. their competence is questionable and all their families and wealth is in the west. people here trying to post scary predictions about how russia will turn into a privatized oligarch-owned capitalist hellscape is hilarious, like trying to scare a hedgehog with a bare rear end. Good place to start: https://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/articles/56fec05fa1bb8d3c3495adf8/

quote:

no, that's bad. it's also from 2011 and the guy changed a bit since then. the canadian prime minister wore blackface, which is also pretty atrocious, but for people's material well-being he's still better than having an oligarch-secret service state, even if the latter managed to keep better decorum

quote:

I also think it's worth noting that Moscow Times is essentially a western paper. It was founded by a dutchman, who claims that he still controls it.

sorry, what would you recommend for a reliable english language source on russia that i can link here? rt.com?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

LittleBlackCloud posted:

Mad funny that US let Yeltsin pick him

He was a nice safe empty suit at the time

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
In relevant Eurasian news:

China overtakes U.S. as Europe’s main trading partner for the first time according to the data published by Eurostat yesterday.

&

First 550,000 doses of Chinese Sinopharm's vaccine arrive in Hungary today.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Somaen posted:

no, that's bad. it's also from 2011 and the guy changed a bit since then. the canadian prime minister wore blackface, which is also pretty atrocious, but for people's material well-being he's still better than having an oligarch-secret service state, even if the latter managed to keep better decorum

but Canada is an oligarch-secret service state?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Agrajag posted:

note to the rest of the world:

never trust a person or movement that is endorsed/"advised" by the american govt or american politicians they will always be bad for your country

This sentiment also applies to america itself

rip america

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Continuity NIP posted:

He was a nice safe empty suit at the time

Also, US-Russian relations were cooling at the time due to the Kosovo War and then the airport stand-off.

It is how unclear Russia selling off its assets is going to mean they are “better managed” considering...they would be in foreign or private hands.

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Somaen posted:

Saying guns are for taking care of immigrant problems 9 years ago as an adult is orders of magnitude from doing blackface 20 years ago as a child. One could also point out that Trudeau's terrible record on indigenous issues, weird draconian gun control (triggered a very weird secret service state adjacent incident), and enthusiasm for fracking. Not to mention, his deputy prime minister lies about her grandfather's nazi collaboration.

This is a very liberal line of thinking. It's the same one that led to Biden being the president of the United States. I'm not sure if you're Russian, but it's hard for me to imagine that the best Russia can do is Navalny.

Somaen posted:

sorry, what would you recommend for a reliable english language source on russia that i can link here? rt.com?

There is no such thing as unbiased reporting. You can probably get as reliable information from The Moscow Times as you can get from RT. I'm also certain that peice was written to help concerned liberals feel better about Navalny and bringing up a western connection is relevant.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hell it isn’t just 9 years ago but Navalny has been caught saying poo poo more recently and there is openly anti-immigration portion to his more recent election (2018) manifesto.

He has been pressing more in the anti-corruption front but it is still there. Hell, even the anti-corruption line is a bit ify considering his economic program is a almost certainly make Russia a even more corrupt basket case.

Nevertheless, Russia’s real issue is that either you have a Western backed liberal/far-right opposition who mostly have no workable plans or Putin and his allies. Neither side really wants an actual independent left wing opposition to form. (Let’s be honest, once Putin was pushed to the side, the next target would be what exists of the Russian left wing. That’s what Yeltsin did.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Feb 16, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

doesn't matter, orange manputin must go!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

so is that part where he wants to make it illegal for government to regulate private business in any way still one of his official positions?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

so is that part where he wants to make it illegal for government to regulate private business in any way still one of his official positions?

I don’t know about in “any way”, but he has talked up deregulation and slashing social taxes. “Russia has been choked by red tape” etc etc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ardennes posted:

(Let’s be honest, once Putin was pushed to the side, the next target would be what exists of the Russian left wing. That’s what Yeltsin did.)

is Putin not targeting what exists of the Russian left wing? like, I find it hard to believe Putin is playing nice with the commies but if Navalny gets in it's over for these hoes

e: but that could be the case because, again, I know almost nothing besides propaganda. I know he arrested Pussy Riot or whatever

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

indigi posted:

is Putin not targeting what exists of the Russian left wing? like, I find it hard to believe Putin is playing nice with the commies but if Navalny gets in it's over for these hoes

The face that that there is still 2 active communist parties left in Russia is something even if the KPRF supported Putin in the past. . In addition, there are smaller parties out there that have been pushing for wider support. I wouldn’t say Putin isn’t hostile to the left wing but his rule has been more about co-opting support from different aspects of society than ideological purity.

I would say Navalny is more of a loose cannon and “purity” in general is much more of his message. Also, many of his policies are even more right-wing than Putin which should give any left-winger a pause.

Ultimately, you don’t know what he would do until he actually got in power, it would also be too late.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Feb 16, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

The face that that there is still 2 active communist parties left in Russia is something even if the KPRF supported Putin in the past. . In addition, there are smaller parties out there that have been pushing for wider support. I wouldn’t say Putin isn’t hostile to the left wing but his rule has been more about co-opting support from different aspects of society than ideological purity.
I was watching a pretty cool Soviet-style musical performance on a pro-government channel (although I suppose most are pro-government) and guess who's in the audience (at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCagqoRmXk0

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean they function similarly to the communist parties in the US, where they're honeypots to weaken actual movement from people who oppose the oligarchy

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I was watching a pretty cool Soviet-style musical performance on a pro-government channel (although I suppose most are pro-government) and guess who's in the audience (at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCagqoRmXk0

Why does it have Japanese subtitles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard similar things about Putin, he can be everything. One second he'll be the KGB guy and you don't know if he's running a psyop on you or not, the next minute he'll be a business technocrat, and the next minute he'll drop some 90s-era mafia slang into his speech, because back then the local mafia guy was "the guy" who made decisions in your area to resolve problems once they get kicked up to his level. That makes Putin "the guy" for the whole country, basically, so it can go on continuing to resemble something like a country.

Watched Putin do an RT roundtable awhile back, and the subject of the migrant crisis came up and Putin talked about Russia's stricter immigration policies. One journalist, from Serbia, piped up though and said she had lived in Russia for a decade working for RT and couldn't get citizenship, because she needed to own property to put on the paperwork, but she couldn't buy property because she wasn't a citizen. Putin tried to play it off with a joke, like "well that's why we don't have a migrant crisis!" But she pressed him further, and then he grew uncomfortable and kinda switched tone, like he was dropping the "face" and said "errmm... listen... can't you just, like, buy some place for cheap out in the countryside and list it on the paperwork?" Basically advising her to break Russian law or at least bend the rules a little bit, on television. I imagine that's what you have to do to get things done there.

Watched another video that was "man on the street" interviews from some random YouTuber. And the subject was on LGBT rights. A big mix of opinions, but the YouTuber asked one young woman "do you think it's difficult to be gay in Russia?" And the woman responded, flatly, "everything is difficult in Russia" and then let out a "woe is us" laugh.

Grapplejack posted:

I mean they function similarly to the communist parties in the US, where they're honeypots to weaken actual movement from people who oppose the oligarchy
I think the biggest difference is that the Russian communist parties have many more members. Some of those members, also unlike the U.S., are normal people and not just people who post on dying comedy forums.

genericnick posted:

Why does it have Japanese subtitles?
It's a Japanese channel.