Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrOnBicycle posted:

Nice! Which trim?

Edit: Looking through the base model equipment it seems pretty decent. I find it pretty "cool" in a way that regen braking is so good that they are fitting drum brakes to heavy rear end cars to save some money (I guess this is the reason)? The ID4 looks more like a "normal" car than the ID3 as well which probably is a big bonus for many people.

Drums are pretty much fine from a braking performance standpoint other than fade. They are indeed cheaper, so that helps. Drums are sealed so they are less susceptible to surface rust and moisture that degrade performance of discs when used infrequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's the "1st Edition" which at least here comes with a reasonable set of equipment, including the much desired tow hook (only good for 1000kg, but I just need to haul a 750kg trailer). I am glad it comes with a normal color steering wheel; the one I saw demo'd had white leather and some white-ish plastics which was a bit garish. The interior in the actual production vehicle is a little more laid back (below). The drum brakes aren't to save money according to VW but to reduce drag (disc brakes tend to drag a tiny bit) and they supposedly work better when used infrequently which will be the case with a RWD electric.

Cool! Looks very nice inside.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Drums are pretty much fine from a braking performance standpoint other than fade. They are indeed cheaper, so that helps. Drums are sealed so they are less susceptible to surface rust and moisture that degrade performance of discs when used infrequently.

Ah! I see. Cool.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It's the "1st Edition" which at least here comes with a reasonable set of equipment, including the much desired tow hook (only good for 1000kg, but I just need to haul a 750kg trailer). I am glad it comes with a normal color steering wheel; the one I saw demo'd had white leather and some white-ish plastics which was a bit garish. The interior in the actual production vehicle is a little more laid back (below). The drum brakes aren't to save money according to VW but to reduce drag (disc brakes tend to drag a tiny bit) and they supposedly work better when used infrequently which will be the case with a RWD electric.

That's a really nice interior. Is your car going to be white bodywork as in your first pic? The blue with black roof is a nice colour combo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

That's a really nice interior. Is your car going to be white bodywork as in your first pic? The blue with black roof is a nice colour combo.

I debated for a while what to get color wise, but settled on the white since the 1st ed has a black roof and other black details which I really liked. The blue was a very close runner up. I also like the yellow a lot but the mrs might inherit the car in a few years and used her veto power on that one...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Isn't the white interior one of the distinguishing features of the 1st edition id.xs, or is that not the case everywhere?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Isn't the white interior one of the distinguishing features of the 1st edition id.xs, or is that not the case everywhere?

I asked about it and the dealer swears up and down that it will be delivered with a black steering wheel and trim. I have in in writing so if that doesn't turn out to be the case we'll have to deal with it.

edit: On my documents it says the dash and trim is "black / platinum grey" which seems to agree with the below from the brochure:

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 16, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Guess you just get more options then. Basically the only options we got here were exterior color for 1sts

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

GreenBuckanneer posted:

is that 31k for the top level trim or bottom level trim for EV?

Because that's cheap if the former

Latter, it starts at 31k for 1LT (more like 32k). Fully loaded is like 35-36k.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 16, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Would be funny if they did it any way but includes them with the lovely FSD. "It's worth $10k so you're really saving $2,500!"

I thought it was worth 100k because Teslas drive around all night making their owners Uber and Grubhub money.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Guess you just get more options then. Basically the only options we got here were exterior color for 1sts

That was basically it too. That brochure I copied the image from is from Ireland. Looks like the French market only gets the white stuff. And presumably we only get the black here in Sweden.

You guys get the tow hook as part of the 1st? Figured that might be a northern Europe type thing since people here value that (as well as a roof rack, which makes me wonder WTF VW was thinking with the ID.3) quite highly.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 16, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Latter, it starts at 31k for 1LT (more like 32k). Fully loaded is like 35-36k.

I frequently see fully loaded Bolts go for $43k...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Everyone's favorite Youtube EV tester Bjorn Nyland is driving round in a Mach-E, lookin' forward to hearing what he has to say about it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Everyone's favorite Youtube EV tester Bjorn Nyland is driving round in a Mach-E, lookin' forward to hearing what he has to say about it.

Where does he stream BTW?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

He's got an alternate YT channel for livestreaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1-93ABItA

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I kind of like the Mach-E despite hating Ford, but it's just so drat expensive here.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did he say 260km on an icy day? It's 161 miles. I guess that's alright...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Charles posted:

Did he say 260km on an icy day? It's 161 miles. I guess that's alright...

Not really since it has a 99 kWh battery.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Panel gaps are the key to efficiency.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You guys get the tow hook as part of the 1st? Figured that might be a northern Europe type thing since people here value that (as well as a roof rack, which makes me wonder WTF VW was thinking with the ID.3) quite highly.

Yeah we get the tow hook too. I think the main things they removed for the US were the matrix headlights, heat pump, and hud

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I meant to put a :thunk: there, but yeah, need to see the summary video, he's been streaming 10 hours now. That's some energy.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Does the Europe model of the Mustang Mach-e get a different battery pack? The US versions max out at 86KWh usable battery packs.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Haha, he just spotted an E-Tron GT while livestreaming.

edit:

Orvin posted:

Does the Europe model of the Mustang Mach-e get a different battery pack? The US versions max out at 86KWh usable battery packs.

Looks like they all have 88 kWh usable. The Model Y (Pre-2021 version) has a 75 kWh battery with 72.5 kWh usable by comparison.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 16, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Drums are not sealed and are more susceptible as they are moisture traps. The only actual advantage to drums is the emergency brake / parking brake is a simpler solution than with discs otherwise there is zero reason why any car maker in TYOOL 2021 should even think about putting a far worse braking tech on any car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Orvin posted:

He said he got 84 or something out of it, so that sounds more right.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I only watched for a few minutes but he said they had the window heater on which was probably drawing ~800 watts out of the battery. He thinks that was what killed the efficiency

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I only watched for a few minutes but he said they had the window heater on which was probably drawing ~800 watts out of the battery. He thinks that was what killed the efficiency

Yeah I heard it's icy and the car doesn't have a heat pump? 😱

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Drums are not sealed and are more susceptible as they are moisture traps. The only actual advantage to drums is the emergency brake / parking brake is a simpler solution than with discs otherwise there is zero reason why any car maker in TYOOL 2021 should even think about putting a far worse braking tech on any car.

dunno how i got that in my head

it's cost / performance

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There was a post on /r/electricvehicles about the original RAV4 EV. Ended up reading the wiki entry on it and went down a bit of a rabbit hole on the inductive Magne-Charge system (a.k.a. J1773) used on the 1st RAV4 EV and also the EV1. Was curious how it worked

The system consisted of 2 parts, the input side charger which contained power electronics that rectified the incoming 120-240VAC to DC and then converted it back to high frequency AC at anywhere from 80 to 300khz. This was sent to a winding in the charge paddle which would be inductively coupled to a winding in the charge port of the car. The power electronics on-board the vehicle would convert the high frequency AC back to DC to charge the battery. So you had losses from both the inductive transfer and double-rectification, but despite that from what I could find the efficiency was said to be around 80%.

Interestingly the communications and control protocol appeared to be more advanced than J1772. It was 2-way; the car could send state of charge, its status, and other data back to the charger. There were 2 variants of the paddles which used different communication methods. The older Large Paddle which used RF communication (circa 1994), and the newer Small Paddle which used IR communication.

But we ended up with J1772 which is basically just a glorified extension cord that can twiddle some resistors and tell it to turn on/off :/

stevewm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, J1772 should only be the absolute minimum you need to charge. It doesn't even give SOC%

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Any reason the Bolt is a bad car? My wife and I are looking to replace both our Fits with an EV, and the Bolt looks like a solid option. I'm seeing used ones with less than 30k miles in top trim for like $17k. Car seats seem to fit really well. The features seem really good for the price (Android auto, tons of active safety, etc)

What's the catch?

I've got a call into a local dealer who has a used one to schedule a test drive and check fitment of my wide rear end.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sharkytm posted:

What's the catch?

...a local dealer...

:hmmyes:

General Motors dealers are uniformly trash. Before my Tesla I’ve owned nothing but GM, including two brand new vehicles, and never had a good experience with a GM dealer.

The Volt and Bolt are good enough cars that I think you should consider it anyway, but holy gently caress the dealers are awful in every way.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Any reason the Bolt is a bad car? My wife and I are looking to replace both our Fits with an EV, and the Bolt looks like a solid option. I'm seeing used ones with less than 30k miles in top trim for like $17k. Car seats seem to fit really well. The features seem really good for the price (Android auto, tons of active safety, etc)

What's the catch?

I've got a call into a local dealer who has a used one to schedule a test drive and check fitment of my wide rear end.

Right now the 17 to 19s (though not all 19s) are under a recall due to a potential battery fire risk...(there are only a handful of cases) They don't have a permanent fix right now so they are installing a software patch to limit charging to 90% on affected vehicles. GM dealers are under a stop sale order on affected used Bolts from what I understand because of this, though some are not aware of it.

Late build 19s and 20/21s are not affected by this problem.

Saying this, I have been considering a new 2020. My cousin took delivery of one about a month ago. I got some extended time with it and loved it. Though after the reveal of the 2022 model and the EUV... I might change my mind.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

sharkytm posted:

What's the catch?

Not having actually owned one, but I have been looking at all kinds of new EVs recently. If your budget will allow it, take a look at new 2020 Bolts. Chevy has $8500 in factory incentives on them, and it shouldn’t be too hard to find dealers looking to get rid of the older year. By me, multiple dealers are advertising $24k for all the options on the base LT trim, and $28k for all the options on the premiere trim. Just make sure to check for the DC fast charging option. I imagine it’s one of those things that may not be used often, but is super nice when you need to charge away from home. It didn’t start coming standard until 2021 (and only on premiere).

Chevy is offering so much off the Bolts, as they know the Bolt isn’t competitive at its current $40k+ price point. The 2022 Bolt reveal and significant price drop pretty much confirms this. So the $8500 brings it down to a compact affordable hatchback with a decent range.

I know $7k isn’t nothing, but to step up to a brand new many year newer model, might be worth it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Orvin posted:

Not having actually owned one, but I have been looking at all kinds of new EVs recently. If your budget will allow it, take a look at new 2020 Bolts. Chevy has $8500 in factory incentives on them, and it shouldn’t be too hard to find dealers looking to get rid of the older year. By me, multiple dealers are advertising $24k for all the options on the base LT trim, and $28k for all the options on the premiere trim. Just make sure to check for the DC fast charging option. I imagine it’s one of those things that may not be used often, but is super nice when you need to charge away from home. It didn’t start coming standard until 2021 (and only on premiere).

Chevy is offering so much off the Bolts, as they know the Bolt isn’t competitive at its current $40k+ price point. The 2022 Bolt reveal and significant price drop pretty much confirms this. So the $8500 brings it down to a compact affordable hatchback with a decent range.

I know $7k isn’t nothing, but to step up to a brand new many year newer model, might be worth it.

I saw the incentive, but a loaded bolt was still like 32k. I haven't looked at a GM dealer yet, for reasons mentioned below. We've got to make sure we fit in it before I get serious.

stevewm posted:

Right now the 17 to 19s (though not all 19s) are under a recall due to a potential battery fire risk...(there are only a handful of cases) They don't have a permanent fix right now so they are installing a software patch to limit charging to 90% on affected vehicles. GM dealers are under a stop sale order on affected used Bolts from what I understand because of this, though some are not aware of it.

Late build 19s and 20/21s are not affected by this problem.

Saying this, I have been considering a new 2020. My cousin took delivery of one about a month ago. I got some extended time with it and loved it. Though after the reveal of the 2022 model and the EUV... I might change my mind.
That's interesting disturbing. I'll investigate further. Thanks for the heads up.

MrYenko posted:

General Motors dealers are uniformly trash. Before my Tesla I’ve owned nothing but GM, including two brand new vehicles, and never had a good experience with a GM dealer.

The Volt and Bolt are good enough cars that I think you should consider it anyway, but holy gently caress the dealers are awful in every way.

It's at a Toyota dealer. And yeah, I've had a series of GM trucks, so I'm aware of the dealer quality.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sharkytm posted:

It's at a Toyota dealer. And yeah, I've had a series of GM trucks, so I'm aware of the dealer quality.

it's worse for EVs, unfortunately.

It's a shame because they're nice cars and they shouldn't need all that much service

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a shame because they're nice cars and they shouldn't need all that much service

The Gen I Volt that I purchased new ended up with my dad. It threw a traction battery fault last year, and the dealer was insisting that the machine they needed to diagnose it was inoperative. (Most GM dealers have the absolute minimum required certified techs and equipment to keep their Voltec repair cert.)

They kept the car for more than three months. They did provide a loaner, but THREE MONTHS. For a non-warranty (cash) repair. He ended up having to call GM corporate, who had the issue resolved in two days.

After three months.

gently caress GM dealers.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

sharkytm posted:

That's interesting disturbing. I'll investigate further. Thanks for the heads up.

To be fair, its anyone who used LG's Korean made batteries. Hyundai and Kia both had to issue recalls on their vehicles using them. And LG recalled all of their home power solutions using their own cells.

Late build 2019 Bolts and all 2020-2021 models are using different cells made at a US plant. These are not affected by the issue.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MrYenko posted:

Christ, my family owns GM vehicles mostly but I had an experience that stood out as insanely loving awful at Dublin Chevrolet (California). Misogynistic fucks. I don't know why I didn't walk out sooner. I will literally never shop from Dublin or Fremont Chevrolet (same owners).

If anyone is in SFBA, I've had a positive experience at Capitol Chevy in San Jose and a neutral one at Steven's Creek Chevrolet. I feel like highlighting the decent dealerships is important. Capitol is non commission sales and god, it's such a relief. They also have a women's buying network where you can buy from a saleswoman. They use the same tactics obv but it takes the mansplaining and other misogyny out of the process. However they wouldn't honor my "universal gm service" included in my lease for basic poo poo and made me go elsewhere so the service is hit or miss.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

stevewm posted:

To be fair, its anyone who used LG's Korean made batteries. Hyundai and Kia both had to issue recalls on their vehicles using them. And LG recalled all of their home power solutions using their own cells.

Late build 2019 Bolts and all 2020-2021 models are using different cells made at a US plant. These are not affected by the issue.
Thanks for the info. We test drove it this morning. It's... fine. The seats are narrow and flat, and the interior is low-rent, but we knew that going in. This used one is missing the hatch floor cover thing, and is an LT with like 6500 miles. None of the active safety stuff, either, which excludes it from us buying it. Good to know that I actually fit (albeit not super-comfortable, but it'll be a commuter/second car for both of us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Greeeeat. I'll bet that my local Chevy and GMC dealers aren't certified. I'll check into it. loving GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think you're down on the south shore or Cape? Bourne, Raynham, and Plymouth all supposedly have EV certified dealers, but honestly I'd go poking around Volt and Bolt owner forums to see if there's more info on their actual service. One or more might actually be decent, you never know.