Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BobHoward posted:

Now I'm up to the point in season 2 where slightly spacey Portland lady decided to respond to a setback on her gill net by following a bear trail to see if she can steal food from bears, I'm sure this will work out well :catstare:

LMAO I thought she was an anthropologist based on “working with the Bushmen”, but she’s actually a biologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Outrail posted:

If you can make fire once you're probably not doing too bad if you can keep embers going. Gonna cost you a lot of wood tho so that's a time/energy sink.

gently caress, that's hardcore. I've heard stories about dudes hunting feral cattle with axes but that's next level.

Got an episode and timestamp for that?

S07E06, around 3 minutes in. to be clear, he did get an arrow into it first, but it was still bucking around pretty hard

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I’m watching the pairs season of Alone and lol dude taps out like 6 hours in, and he’s not even the one hiking! He could have sat down, done absolutely nothing, and he would have come out ahead. Good first episode.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

I don't know where I read it, I think it was in a article about Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tiki or maybe it was about the Golden Globe Race, but this reminded me of how the author of said article pointed out that there are just some people for whom that level of solitude does not extract a psychological toll.

The overall context was describing the lone sailor, who had just spent months alone, upon coming ashore and meeting someone for the first time but instead of jumping off the boat and running up and hugging the first person, took the time to safely stow away everything, prep the boat, and only once they'd done everything, even the stuff that they could do later, did they disembark and greet the people who had gathered to see them.

And when they did, the author boggled at how they were very casual about it, as if they'd gone out for a sail that morning and had only then just come back in. How they seemed to show no ill effects from that impossibly long solitude. The author boggled at how, after months at sea alone, they could be so normal. There's just some people out there who, for whatever reason, are just wired differently and don't need that level of contact.

I think that might have been Robin Knox-Johnson at the end of the Golden Globe - you could certainly, absolutly see him doing that. He seemed to be entirely unfazed by nearly a year alone in a 32-foot boat.

It's the old adage of having to be drat sure you're happy with yourself before you even try such a thing, because it's the only company you'll have and the only person you'll have to rely on.

Knox-Johnson was a professional merchant mariner, held a master's ticket and was a naval reservist who had spent a decade working at sea around the world. He had sailed the boat he used for the Golden Globe from Bombay to the UK so he knew exactly what to expect from himself and the boat on long ocean voyages.

Moitessier had grown up with the sea in (then) Indochina (being born into colonial French society was possibly at the root of his perpetual sense of being an 'outsider', unable to fit in either in Asia or Europe) and crewed junks in the coastal trade before sailing a junk single-handed back to France, followed by sailing the boat he would later use on the Golden Globe to Tahiti and back (via the Horn on the return trip).

Crowhurst had no long-distance sailing experience, was sailing an untried boat of an unusual design which was finished only weeks before the deadline for departure and his preparations for setting off were a mess. He had gambled his business and his family's living on his success, and that business was the latest in a string of attempts for him to find a role in the world that satisfied him (he had tried being an engineer, a racing driver, an RAF pilot, an Army Engineer, a politician and a businessman, all without real success). So he was already carrying huge personal and mental stakes when he set out, and when it became clear to him that sailing his leaky, sluggish boat with its (hitherto unknown) flawed construction and without his much vaunted electronic safety systems (which he designed but never fitted) he was trapped between death at sea or bankruptcy, failure and ridicule at home. Then he began carrying out his deceptive voyage, which put a whole lot of other pressures on him which began pulling against each other - at the time he was most desperate to make radio contact with home he 'couldn't' because he had already said his generator was flooded so couldn't use the radio (he was actually maintaining radio silence so people wouldn't ask why all his transmissions were coming through Buenos Aires or Cape Town when he was supposed to be in the south Pacific). Then he began second-guessing himself, worrying about running out of fuel for the generator he supposedly hadn't been using for months, and trying to take his boat briefly into the Southern Ocean to send at least one radio signal via Wellington to 'prove' he'd been that far south. Then when fate determined that he was guaranteed to be the fastest entrant and winner of the prize he had no way out - every other time he had come up short he had been able to try something else but not this time. Then his radio actually broke for real, cutting him off when virtually the last thing he'd heard from home was about the massive scale of the hero's welcome that awaited him. On top of everything else, it's really not surprising he had a breakdown.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Switchback posted:

I’m watching the pairs season of Alone and lol dude taps out like 6 hours in, and he’s not even the one hiking! He could have sat down, done absolutely nothing, and he would have come out ahead. Good first episode.

That episode and others make me think age might be a helpful factor. It seems like being a little older helps a person deal with setbacks better, maybe by putting things in context. A lot of the very young contestants in their early to mid 20's end up washing out the first time they hit a snag of any significance.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Reading about the race it was not well organized. One of the competitors...

quote:

made an arranged rendezvous with a friend to drop off his photos and logs, and received some mail in exchange. While reading a recent issue of the Sunday Times that he had just received, he discovered that the rules against assistance prohibited receiving mail – including the newspaper in which he was reading this – and so he was technically disqualified.

Woops.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Only problem with Alone S1 is that the last 3 episodes are just people sitting in shelters complaining and talking about missing their family. I totally get it but god is it tedious to watch.

Goons said S2 people were more prepared and their locations more thoroughly chosen so hoping for it to be a bit more interesting.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

Only problem with Alone S1 is that the last 3 episodes are just people sitting in shelters complaining and talking about missing their family. I totally get it but god is it tedious to watch.

Goons said S2 people were more prepared and their locations more thoroughly chosen so hoping for it to be a bit more interesting.

it gets better every season but I didnt really like the duos one

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

That episode and others make me think age might be a helpful factor. It seems like being a little older helps a person deal with setbacks better, maybe by putting things in context. A lot of the very young contestants in their early to mid 20's end up washing out the first time they hit a snag of any significance.

millennials.txt

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They should put them close enough to trade and/or make war.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I felt so bad for that woman in Season 2 who had what she said was 6 months' worth of mussels near her beach but there was red tide and she couldn't eat any of them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm not sure why more people don't pick a single food option in the supplies to keep going during dry spells. 2 lbs of pemmican should keep you going for a bit, rationed out, right?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
According to Google you need 5 pounds of jerky a day to hit your needs. That seems like a lot, but food is expendable so you're losing 10% of your potential survival poo poo for a few days of food.

I guess the theory is if you can't find enough food in the first 5 days you're probably hosed either way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Outrail posted:

According to Google you need 5 pounds of jerky a day to hit your needs. That seems like a lot, but food is expendable so you're losing 10% of your potential survival poo poo for a few days of food.

I guess the theory is if you can't find enough food in the first 5 days you're probably hosed either way.

An all-meat diet requires a hell of a lot of meat. You need carbs.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Pemmican is made with meat and fat in a 1:1 ratio so it is actually quite calorie dense.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

French voyageurs used to have a pot of fat. A literal pot of rendered porkfat they would take with them on winter journeys. Like imagine eating a whole tub of lard mixed with cornmeal over the course of say, a month or two.

quote:

Food stocks voyageurs took with them needed to be compact, lightweight, calorie-rich and long-lasting. Easily transportable dry goods were most practical. Cornmeal, wild rice, meat and maple sugar were dehydrated, packaged and sealed to increase their shelf life. On the water, the men often had to eat fast without stopping. "Corn and grease", a porridge-like mixture of corn and animal fat, was an important part of their diet. Pemmican consists of shredded dried meat blended with fat and berries, and was a vital foodstuff in the North West.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So it was like dog food for humans.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Pemmican is made with meat and fat in a 1:1 ratio so it is actually quite calorie dense.

2 pounds of pure fat:
907 grams x 9 calories per gram = 8163 calories

Daily calorie needs for a person doing hard labor and sleeping outside in arctic conditions (going off military ration sizes): 3000 to 5500 calories. So yeah, "2 ish days worth of calories" isn't a very useful survival item when you're trying to go 80+ days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

Yeah. Antarctic explorers lived for months on pemmican. I was referring to the beef jerky suggestion above my post. You really don't want to try to live on 100% meat. The Lewis & Clark expedition had to do that for extended periods and they consumed an enormous amount of meat daily to survive. You really really want some carbs to provide energy, protein alone is rough. Fat is also very energy dense and so you want that too, and your body can convert either into energy. Ideal would be a mix of both. If I was choosing survival food I'd want a lot of flour and a lot of fat, but only if I'm confident I can keep the flour sealed and dry. Rice and pasta both need to be boiled and take a lot more water, which is why I'd favor flour over them. For fat, something solid at room temp is easier to manage but a bottle of oil would be OK too.

This is anecdotal, but: for a few years a family friend operated a free waystop on the pacific crest trail. Through-hikers stop every few days to resupply and rest, and so he'd have a few of those folks showing up at his cabin through July. By the time they got to his place at Donner, they'd already hiked hundreds and hundreds of miles over the previous month or two, in very rugged terrain.

Those people absolutely wolfed down fat and carbs. I was there once and I saw a woman just eat half a stick of butter with a fork. Trail food is about weight and compactness and calories, but the hikers' bodies told them what they really needed via craving. That crew could put away a hell of a lot of ice cream, too. Lean, fat-free bodies, not especially muscular, and really craving carbs and fat, described about 90% of the through-hikers of all ages that would show up there.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 16, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Plus the only contestant who we saw bring rations (S4 spoiler) ate them on the first day. I guess maybe he didn't eat breakfast at the hotel??

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, I was overestimating how many days worth that would be, I guess it'd be better to just bring the loving 3 pounds of salt if you wanted to and preserve as much meat as you could from good days and big hunts.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I was overestimating how many days worth that would be, I guess it'd be better to just bring the loving 3 pounds of salt if you wanted to and preserve as much meat as you could from good days and big hunts.

I think the pro move would be to set it out as a salt lick to attract animals (that you then shoot and eat)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think the pro move would be to set it out as a salt lick to attract animals (that you then shoot and eat)

I think salt licks don't like, "attract" animals unless they're familiar with the salt lick's location? It's not like they can smell the salt from miles away? I assume your normal salty rock that animals come and lick has been there for generations...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought salt licks were just put in horse stalls and stuff. Is that what they use on those ranches where you take "guided hunts" and shoot basically domesticated deer?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

PostNouveau posted:

Is that what they use on those ranches where you take "guided hunts" and shoot basically domesticated deer?

I believe that is partially fermented corn mix waste

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think salt licks don't like, "attract" animals unless they're familiar with the salt lick's location? It's not like they can smell the salt from miles away? I assume your normal salty rock that animals come and lick has been there for generations...

This bunch of bowhunters claim that deer find their salt blocks within a few days of placement. I don't know if 3 pounds is enough, or if that's legal in the areas they film the show in, but it seems like an attractive idea.

But then, you're devoting 2 items (salt+bow) to this strategy and that block of salt is something you brought instead of an ax or fishing gear. That's a big gamble. I remember one contestant decided not to bring fishing line and instead pick apart paracord for fishing line and make hooks from snare wire so he could bring a different item. He didn't catch a goddamn thing, and other contestants with proper line and hooks caught quite a bit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Google says gorp has 2,100 calories per pound, so if you go with my plan of 3 survival items and then 35 lbs. of gorp, you'd have like 70 days to figure how to spearfish

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You can't bring more than 2 food items

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I think obviously what needs to happen here is that you need to post your item lists

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Also it'd be 14 pounds of gorp.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

Dammit, foiled :argh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Can you bring two cows?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'd bring 10 ferro rods.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'd use one of them to light fires and what I would do with the other 9 is none of your business.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

This bunch of bowhunters claim that deer find their salt blocks within a few days of placement. I don't know if 3 pounds is enough, or if that's legal in the areas they film the show in, but it seems like an attractive idea.

But then, you're devoting 2 items (salt+bow) to this strategy and that block of salt is something you brought instead of an ax or fishing gear. That's a big gamble. I remember one contestant decided not to bring fishing line and instead pick apart paracord for fishing line and make hooks from snare wire so he could bring a different item. He didn't catch a goddamn thing, and other contestants with proper line and hooks caught quite a bit.

A quick skim says they're also tearing up the ground around the lick, and using flavored licks with scents in them rather than just a block of salt. But I would say anyway that some sort of deer bait could be a viable option if you know you'll be in an area where there's lots of deer, and if you intend to try to hunt deer.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think this would be my list:

tarp
paracord
saw
sleeping bag
pot
water bottle
gill net
flint
hunting knife
5lbs hard tack

considered substituting the food for the LED flashlight because I know how creepy the woods are at night but you could prob make do with the camera gear's night vision etc.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also it goes without saying I would bring as much weed as possible hidden in my butt

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't understand the people that bring both a multi tool and a hunting knife. Yeah, skinning a deer with your multi tool is going to suck poo poo but 1. you're not going to kill a deer and 2. who gives a poo poo do it anyway.

I feel like the biggest multi tool they'll let you bring, OR a 10" Bowie knife are both solid options, but not both. And it should be something like a Bowie or a spear point, get the gently caress outta here with your 10" kukris and karambits and fuckin tantos.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

also it goes without saying I would bring as much weed as possible hidden in my butt

Stitch it into the clothes you wear there obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
tarp
paracord
sleeping bag
pot
ferro
snare wire
gill net