Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's more analogous to working a retail job: your boss is far away in an office that he never leaves and you're out on the desolate sunless floor where everything is chaos and confusion and your supervisor is barking about how they're going to have your number and report you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
And yet the tiny handful of words spent on Sauron perfectly capture his final 'me sowing/me reaping' and last gasp of grandeur before dissipating forever. There's no real reason to care about Sauron's inner motivations beyond that. Saruman gives a more human face as a villain when the hobbits return the Shire. His motivations at that point are just angry, pointless chaos. He dies as barely anything more than a tired old man, having turned away from everything he was supposed to have been long before the end.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shiroc posted:

Saruman gives a more human face as a villain when the hobbits return the Shire. His motivations at that point are just angry, pointless chaos. He dies as barely anything more than a tired old man, having turned away from everything he was supposed to have been long before the end.

I always find this bit affecting - "any chance of forgiveness?" "Nope."

quote:

To the dismay of those that stood by, about the body of Saruman a grey mist gathered, and rising slowly to a great height like smoke from a fire, as a pale shrouded figure it loomed over the Hill. For a moment it wavered, looking to the West; but out of the West came a cold wind, and it bent away, and with a sigh dissolved into nothing.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shiroc posted:

Its funny how Sauron twice gets dunked on right when he thinks everything is going well. He's hanging out in Numenor enjoying how badly he screwed them when Eru sinks it and he loses his form. Then he thinks he's about to destroy the Captains of the West but gets a brief moment of realizing how badly he hosed up between when Frodo claims the Ring and it gets destroyed.

When I read The Silmarillion back in high school, I remember thinking that Morgoth was a bit pathetic. He's a petty bully who brings about terrible suffering and destruction but also gets clowned on basically any time anyone gets close to directly attack him.

They're well written characters.

There was also the time Sauron got fuckin owned by Huan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the time Lithium beat him in a rap battle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Sauron is your boss at a retail job, Saruman is your boss at a food service job.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Mordor seems like it could have real "tracking the amount of time you spend in the bathroom on your shift" call center energy

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Really pushing "Sauron the Great", trying to make it happen

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Sauron is “I’m obviously so smart, look how I was able to trick those Elves and Numenoreans, so if everyone would just listen to me there wouldn’t be so many problems” amped up to the extreme. “Clearly the solution to all this disorder is I need to enslave everybody.”

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Sauron is “I’m obviously so smart, look how I was able to trick those Elves and Numenoreans, so if everyone would just listen to me there wouldn’t be so many problems” amped up to the extreme. “Clearly the solution to all this disorder is I need to enslave everybody.”

STOP NOT LETTING ME ENSLAVE YOU YOU'RE REALLY PISSING ME OFF

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All I want is to create the perfect genetic orc soldier! Not for power! Not for evil! But for good!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean Sauron being analogous to the unseen, uncaring higher level of government that sends millions of soldiers to die for causes not their own and spread untold misery while being unreachable is pretty accurate to life.

That was pretty much WWI.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not allegorical but certainly applicable to the average life of an Orc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

All I want is to create the perfect genetic orc soldier! Not for power! Not for evil! But for good!

I guess we've all got some growing up to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For I beheld Melkor as he fell from Aman like lightning!

Sauron as Raul Julia's M Bison.

Elendil and Isildur still refuse to accept his godhood.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Round_World_version_of_the_Silmarillion i didnt know about this actually

i dont really like this "scientific" version of the world, i really like that there's this progress from a mythical into a realistic world in the original version

i also wonder where valinor is supposed to fit into this world, is it america?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it also diminishes the akallabeth, it's cool that ar pharazon fucks up so badly he causes the entire world to change shape

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Shibawanko posted:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Round_World_version_of_the_Silmarillion i didnt know about this actually

i dont really like this "scientific" version of the world, i really like that there's this progress from a mythical into a realistic world in the original version

America is where Valinor was. After the Akallabêth, Aman is removed from the spherical earth and new lands made in its place.

And yes. The round-world version is awful and I'm glad it never went anywhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that he Henry Darger'd himself to a standstill agonizing over the Catholicism of Orcs and never finished rationalizing the legendarium into a scientific treatise on how the Force is really midichlorians

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

I'm finding it difficult to square this post with these statements you made earlier in the thread:

Shibawanko posted:

i dont like the idea of saving maglor because i dont think youre really supposed to read the silmarillion as a literal account of events. maglor is a mythical person and while the silmarillion says he should still be around playing his harp and weeping i don't think he could actually be found if someone were to go looking for him in the third age any more than we could go up olympus and expect to find gods there

Shibawanko posted:

it's an elven source that recounts their own history up to and before their own coming into existence, it must be mythical

i think you're supposed to read the silmarillion more like how ancient historians wrote about history, there are clear falsehoods and impossibilities mixed in with real events in the writings of most ancient historians, but this wasn't contradictory to them and the idea of literal, factual historical writing is relatively new. i think there's a sense that something like the voyage of earendil where he goes through the doors of night and becomes a star is less a literal, physical fact and more like a blending of events and myth. this works well with the idea that all of the stories are framed narratives, the lord of the rings is supposed to be a translation of a book written by a hobbit

this idea appeals to me more because it goes against the sort of recent stuff about "worldbuilding" where you have a fully internally consistent world with a narrator-authority like in derivative fantasy and science fiction

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A series of illustrations accompanying the unpublished epilogue of The Lord of the Rings.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

A series of illustrations accompanying the unpublished epilogue of The Lord of the Rings.

Thank you for posting that. I've never heard of it before, and reading it literally brought a tear to my eye.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Action George posted:

Thank you for posting that. I've never heard of it before, and reading it literally brought a tear to my eye.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Off-topic but is there a name for this drawing style which seems to be dominant on the Internet these days? I'm trying to think of which popular-with-adults kid's show originated it but I'm not having any luck.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steven Universe maybe? There's a thru-line from Miyazaki-style anime to Gravity Falls to SU to like the Thundercats reboot, they all share a lot of traits

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Off-topic but is there a name for this drawing style which seems to be dominant on the Internet these days? I'm trying to think of which popular-with-adults kid's show originated it but I'm not having any luck.

i dunno but i kind of hate it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In cartoons it is referred to as "Cal Arts Style"

The comic is a little bit more detailed but that's probably because you don't have to worry about animating it.

edit: Shows me to post before I wake up enough to notice typos

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 16, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cal* Arts style, not Cat Arts. California Institute of the Arts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the CalArts "house style" considerably different 20 years ago? Like there was definitely a thing people referred to as "CalArts style", but it wasn't the picture above, it was more like the Dexter's Lab/Fairly OddParents/Powerpuff Girls/McCracken/Tartakovsky thing. All angles and squares and UPA-ish geometric stylization. And before that it was all stuff aping Disney Feature because that's what people went to CalArts to learn how to do.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the CalArts "house style" considerably different 20 years ago? Like there was definitely a thing people referred to as "CalArts style", but it wasn't the picture above, it was more like the Dexter's Lab/Fairly OddParents/Powerpuff Girls/McCracken/Tartakovsky thing. All angles and squares and UPA-ish geometric stylization. And before that it was all stuff aping Disney Feature because that's what people went to CalArts to learn how to do.

Apart from curvy:angular there's not really any difference.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anshu posted:

I'm finding it difficult to square this post with these statements you made earlier in the thread:

why? im saying the same thing in all posts: i prefer the nonrational or mythical version of the story over any version that tries to create a consistent or scientific world. the silmarillion strives to be like homer or virgil, blending myth with "real" events with no clear boundary between the two

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bongo Bill posted:

The art style suits a slightly whimsical yet wistful conversation between Sam and his daughter. :colbert:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

why? im saying the same thing in all posts: i prefer the nonrational or mythical version of the story over any version that tries to create a consistent or scientific world. the silmarillion strives to be like homer or virgil, blending myth with "real" events with no clear boundary between the two
Let me see if I can organize and articulate my thoughts clearly...

Shibawanko posted:

i dont like the idea of saving maglor because i dont think youre really supposed to read the silmarillion as a literal account of events. maglor is a mythical person and while the silmarillion says he should still be around playing his harp and weeping i don't think he could actually be found if someone were to go looking for him in the third age any more than we could go up olympus and expect to find gods there

Shibawanko posted:

it's an elven source that recounts their own history up to and before their own coming into existence, it must be mythical

i think you're supposed to read the silmarillion more like how ancient historians wrote about history, there are clear falsehoods and impossibilities mixed in with real events in the writings of most ancient historians, but this wasn't contradictory to them and the idea of literal, factual historical writing is relatively new. i think there's a sense that something like the voyage of earendil where he goes through the doors of night and becomes a star is less a literal, physical fact and more like a blending of events and myth. this works well with the idea that all of the stories are framed narratives, the lord of the rings is supposed to be a translation of a book written by a hobbit

this idea appeals to me more because it goes against the sort of recent stuff about "worldbuilding" where you have a fully internally consistent world with a narrator-authority like in derivative fantasy and science fiction
In these posts you express the idea that the Silmarillion is a mythologized account that shouldn't be taken to be literally, physically true. This logically implies that there is a literal, physical truth underlying the mythologized account. In specific, you cite the idea that Earendil is sent through the Doors of Night and becomes the morning and the evening star as a mythologized retelling of a real event. Applying Occam's Razor, we then extrapolate from our knowledge of the physical universe to determine what was physically true in the sub-created universe, and determine that if Earendil did not literally and physically become a new star, then the object we call Venus must always have existed in the sky of Middle-earth; likewise, the Sun; likewise the Moon; likewise the roundness of the world.

Shibawanko posted:

Then you come in and say this and I wonder what the hell you think is going on. Are you advancing the notion that things can be true and not-true simultaneously? If you don't like the idea that Arda was round the entire time, why make such a point of dismissing the literal, physical truthfulness of the Silmarillion? Is your contention that Eru, in sinking Numenor and bending the world, retroactively made it have been round the whole time? I can't deny that would be within his power, but it seems counter to his general attitude of not undoing things already done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can it really be mythical if the people who were there at the time are still around to recount the tales?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can it really be mythical if the people who were there at the time are still around to recount the tales?

Shibawanko's position is "they're lying or just smiling smuggly and going 'i dunno, do YOU think it's true' if anyone asks."

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

reignonyourparade posted:

Shibawanko's position is "they're lying or just smiling smuggly and going 'i dunno, do YOU think it's true' if anyone asks."

No, that was euphronius and SHISHKABOB. Shibawanko had already chickened out of the debate before we reached that point last time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anshu posted:

Let me see if I can organize and articulate my thoughts clearly...

In these posts you express the idea that the Silmarillion is a mythologized account that shouldn't be taken to be literally, physically true. This logically implies that there is a literal, physical truth underlying the mythologized account. In specific, you cite the idea that Earendil is sent through the Doors of Night and becomes the morning and the evening star as a mythologized retelling of a real event. Applying Occam's Razor, we then extrapolate from our knowledge of the physical universe to determine what was physically true in the sub-created universe, and determine that if Earendil did not literally and physically become a new star, then the object we call Venus must always have existed in the sky of Middle-earth; likewise, the Sun; likewise the Moon; likewise the roundness of the world.

Then you come in and say this and I wonder what the hell you think is going on. Are you advancing the notion that things can be true and not-true simultaneously? If you don't like the idea that Arda was round the entire time, why make such a point of dismissing the literal, physical truthfulness of the Silmarillion? Is your contention that Eru, in sinking Numenor and bending the world, retroactively made it have been round the whole time? I can't deny that would be within his power, but it seems counter to his general attitude of not undoing things already done.

mind that i'm talking more about the experience of the reader and the relationship between the silmarillion and the kind of literature it draws from than whether or not the events in the book are "true" (which isn't really an interesting question, it's a work of fiction, and we all know that valinor is real and we are going there after we die right?). tolkien was a medievalist so his influences are premodern literature, the silmarillion is written as a premodern historical account, my main point is that it's more similar to the bible or the iliad or petrarch than the more modern fiction that apes it

like premodern historical writing there's an element of irrationality to it, the story gets more fantastical the closer you get to the gods, similar to how in the iliad you get a somewhat plausible description of what was probably a real war in one moment, and paris choosing aphrodite in the next. within the story, the elves inhabit a premodern universe, while the "dominion of man" at the end of lotr is something like modernity. there's a particular scene at the end of lotr where (i think) aragorn and one of the hobbits climbs up the mountain behind minas tirith and sort of surveys the land, looking at it rationally and with modern, scientific eyes instead of the narrative perspective that the characters had up to that point: the world is losing all magical elements with the destruction of the ring and the elves going to valinor. this is also why ar pharazon sailing to aman was such a big deal, it's analogous to someone in ancient greece climbing olympus to check whether zeus is literally, physically sitting there

i didn't really say that the elves don't believe in their myths, i'm saying that they don't really obey the rules of a scientific universe like men do. for elrond or cirdan or something all of the stuff in beleriand really happened, but they themselves have an ambiguous status, i think there's another scene around the council of elrond where frodo says of either glorfindel or elrond that he's like a character from history come to life, they're as it were half real half mythical

quote:

Are you advancing the notion that things can be true and not-true simultaneously?

yeah. the silmarillion is not a closed ontology, there's no "just so" narrator who says that things are what they are and asks you to suspend disbelief that way, which is imo the main thing that differentiates it from "fantasy". this is why i enjoy reading it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when we call things "genre fiction" the main part of that accusation is that genre fiction isn't in any kind of dialogue with other works (being trapped only in its own genre), having read other works doesn't add anything to your enjoyment of "a song of ice and fire" because while it has this contrivance of being a "realistic" medieval world with people cutting eachothers heads off it's ultimately a just-so story where the author decided what is real and what isn't, things just happen because the author liked them that way and there's almost no structure to the story, it's a series of "and then this happened, and then that happened, and then that happened" like a kid making up a story on the playground

i like tolkien because his books aren't like that, they're literary works which means that ambiguity is welcomed and narrative authority is suspended. tolkien is to fantasy what lem is to science fiction

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Anshu posted:

No, that was euphronius and SHISHKABOB. Shibawanko had already chickened out of the debate before we reached that point last time.

Did I say that? I forget.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think it's ok for the story to be ambiguous about its mythic status.

Oh I said this.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anshu posted:

Yeah I said it’s obviously not true. The earth was always round and there has always been a sun.

Well for the last 4.5 billion years or so