Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still don't understand how "let's try to humanize and make sympathic a character literally named Cruel Devil who's only character trait is wanting to slaughter puppies" got past a pitch.

Maybe she's not going to be humanized and sympathetic. Maybe she's just going to be glamorously evil the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe it's like Nightcrawler where she's just incredibly horrible the entire time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe it's like Nightcrawler where she's just incredibly horrible the entire time.

Honestly my first thought before I remembered we were talking about Disney.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gripweed posted:

Maybe she's not going to be humanized and sympathetic. Maybe she's just going to be glamorously evil the whole time.

This would rule. I'd forgive everything if they made this movie and upset everyone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I had to quote-check both those posts and they are both jpgs!? :mad:

edit:

Because of this goddamn gif, every time the Clifford poster gets posted I have to stare at it like a child facing down a nightmare so I won't get spooked accidentally when Martin Short's eyes start rolling.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still don't understand how "let's try to humanize and make sympathic a character literally named Cruel Devil who's only character trait is wanting to slaughter puppies" got past a pitch.

Because the pitch was “we want to use Emma Stone in one of our live action remakes” and this was just the end result

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope we find out Cruella has a tragic backstory that explains her hatred of dogs. Like maybe when she was a kid a pitbull ate her baby brother.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

davidspackage posted:

Because of this goddamn gif, every time the Clifford poster gets posted I have to stare at it like a child facing down a nightmare so I won't get spooked accidentally when Martin Short's eyes start rolling.

I aim to please.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i hope the new movie doesn't bother with redeeming her and it'd just be emma stone being a fabulously villainous evil gently caress who fucks over other even more villainous evil fucks (who dare to pretend to be more fabulous than she is)

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i hope the new movie doesn't bother with redeeming her and it'd just be emma stone being a fabulously villainous evil gently caress who fucks over other even more villainous evil fucks (who dare to pretend to be more fabulous than she is)

"Your coat requires one hundred and SIX puppies? That's where I draw the line"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Godfather but it's about the puppy-killing business

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 17, 2021

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

The Cameo posted:

Because the pitch was “we want to use Emma Stone in one of our live action remakes” and this was just the end result

I assume this is how they ended up with a live action Lion King.
"Beyonce wants to be Nala"
"Green lit"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The trailer is out and it looks like exactly this. From what I can tell she's evil straight from the get go and definitely looks to be out-villainy at least one person.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

The Godfather Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but it's about the puppy-killing business

fixed

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching that trailer I was reminded of the Burton Willy Wonka movie. Not the comparison you'd want to evoke.

But I'm gonna go ahead and guess that their prime demo has never actually seen 101 Dalmatians and just wants a movie about a badass antihero gal, so I'd imagine this'll be well-liked amongst those who dug Malificent.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

I hope we find out Cruella has a tragic backstory that explains her hatred of dogs. Like maybe when she was a kid a pitbull ate her baby brother.

Sounds like a fun premise but we should try to work in wet markets they're so hot right now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FreudianSlippers posted:

They could even have a point where it looks like she wants to turn things around but it's just a fakeout to get the antagonist (an animal rights activist) to drop their guard

Mantis42 posted:

I hope it's incredibly petty, like a family puppy pees on her shoes or something

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dalmation ate her homework.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

They are pretty clearly doing a Baby's First Joker treatment on this and aren't going to have you cheering for the person whose raison d'etre is skinning dogs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also literally had her say "I am woman hear me roar" so there's also a heap of that classic Disney Girlboss attitude.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

the literal only pitch was a make-up demo

someone drew up what they thoguht emma stone would look like in cruella make up and they said hey it would be cool if a character looked like that

then they made the movie

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

They are pretty clearly doing a Baby's First Joker treatment on this and aren't going to have you cheering for the person whose raison d'etre is skinning dogs.

But Joker is the protagonist of that movie and is 100% meant to be sympathic to the audience. Because he is the hero of that movie and does nothing wrong.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Seems obvious to me the easiest way to have your cake and eat it with a Cruella movie is to just have her hate dogs as a character trait but just ignore the whole skinning them for their fur thing. She’ll just be doing cool crime boss type stuff maybe and possibly wear furs but at no point do I expect that to even come up. It’s all visual homages to the reasons people like that character but not much more. Mayyybe if they are feeling real edgy she’ll make a passing comment about how she would “wear it better” when looking at a Dalmatian or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The end credit scene is going to be Johnny Depp or some poo poo showing up as Roger and her hearing about the puppies and you all fuckin know it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

the literal only pitch was a make-up demo

someone drew up what they thoguht emma stone would look like in cruella make up and they said hey it would be cool if a character looked like that

then they made the movie

To be fair, its a good look on her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I mean the message is a bit muddled because the joker is a mess but he is supposed to be sympathetic despite everything

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair, its a good look on her.

I mean it's Emma Stone, very little wouldn't be.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the message is a bit muddled because the joker is a mess but he is supposed to be sympathetic despite everything

Joker does nothing wrong in that movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean it's Emma Stone, very little wouldn't be.

I think Emma Stone wearing very little would be, it could make even more money than Cruella

I’ll see myself out

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Joker does nothing wrong in that movie.

Terrorized his neighbor and her daughter
Brought a gun to a children’s hospital
Killed his mom

But to be fair, he did inspire this

https://twitter.com/cenayangfilm/status/1189084284839067648?s=21

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Fake Punk?! Is that even allowed?!!

Cruella being a Vivienne Westwood type who commodifies DIY punk into shallow runway fashion might work as a concept, but that wouldn't fit the Woke Disney template.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Terrorized his neighbor and her daughter
Brought a gun to a children’s hospital
Killed his mom

But to be fair, he did inspire this

https://twitter.com/cenayangfilm/status/1189084284839067648?s=21

He was legitimately remorseful and was only doing that because he was failed by the system and couldn't get his meds.

This was a bone headed move.

He was wrong about this one, okay. But he didn't know it at the time, and felt bad about it after he found out the truth.

He also started a class revolt that got Gotham's equivalent to Donald Trump gunned down in the street, so I'm willing to forgive him a few honest mistakes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

God film studios are running out of ideas, everything is just an adaptation of something else. I say "pass" on all four.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

I think Emma Stone wearing very little would be, it could make even more money than Cruella

I’ll see myself out

Didn't know Jim Carrey posted here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean

Joker did in fact shoot a man in the head on live television

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So did R. Budd Dwyer.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So did R. Budd Dwyer.

🤯

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So did R. Budd Dwyer.

Hey man, nice post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean

Joker did in fact shoot a man in the head on live television

He shot 80s Ellen in the head. Nothing of value was lost, so no harm, no foul.