Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Also a game I would play the hell out of if it got a PC release.

Honestly it would probably play like garbage on a mouse and keyboard setup as the turn and camera speeds are rather slow

Airspace posted:

My favorite part about Operation Troy is that they specifically said it was for the Western market.

Yup it came out exclusively on the Xbox 360 and most of the text and voices are in English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly it would probably play like garbage on a mouse and keyboard setup as the turn and camera speeds are rather slow

Yup it came out exclusively on the Xbox 360 and most of the text and voices are in English

Can always play with a controller. I just want the chance to give it a shot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

I want a Western PC release of Gihren's. This will never happen but drat do I want it.

This. Very much this. In fact, Bamco needs to license a Western-style GG game to Paradox.

I know a Gundam mod exists for HoI4, but I want something native.

drrockso20 posted:

I have a gamepad (comedy option: HOTAS) for a reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I regret trading that in, young me made many mistakes. Although I'm sure its still easy as hell to pirate.

I've seen it for sale at second hand shops in person. It's reasonably cheap these days, about 30 bucks used.

It also, as you suggested, emulates pretty well if you don't want to drag a Dreamcast out of storage. I beat it a couple years back and had a good time with it.

It's pretty short, even if there's a bunch of unlockables for a replay, but it's fun and the squad command system is robust enough to feel like your team's useful.

I would prefer if melee had a dedicated button instead of being context sensitive, though. It's part of why I used the Guncannon so much. No worrying about switching back and forth.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
just finished ∀ Gundam. absolutely incredible. the only time i thought it missed me were the 'will game' episodes, and there was obviously some kind of production implosion around the agrippa maintainer arc. other than those two bumps, I thought it had a strong opening, a satisfying end, and was probably the most consistently funny work of television i've ever watched.

also, fantastic soundtrack. there's something electric about those early Dianna Sorrel scenes where Air Plant plays.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Warmachine posted:

This. Very much this. In fact, Bamco needs to license a Western-style GG game to Paradox.

I know a Gundam mod exists for HoI4, but I want something native.

I have a gamepad (comedy option: HOTAS) for a reason.

Speaking of Gihren's as I said in the Games Gihren's Greed thread (Yes that's a thing) the Version 7 translation patch just came out, featuring a fully translated Revil and Gihren campaign.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scrree posted:

just finished ∀ Gundam. absolutely incredible. the only time i thought it missed me were the 'will game' episodes, and there was obviously some kind of production implosion around the agrippa maintainer arc. other than those two bumps, I thought it had a strong opening, a satisfying end, and was probably the most consistently funny work of television i've ever watched.

also, fantastic soundtrack. there's something electric about those early Dianna Sorrel scenes where Air Plant plays.

Turn A was my first Gundam, and I think "incredible" is an appropriate word for it. It was one of the last of its breed, old school cell animation with a crew that knew how to get the most of the medium, with a Yoko Kanno score to make sure the sounds were as good as the looks.

I think I've seen funnier, but Turn A's comedy is pretty solid and it doesn't ever overstep its boundaries to undermine the more serious scenes. Like Loran said in the first episode, the world of Turn A is a good place, making the tragedies more tragic.

Honestly, I think watching Turn A and War in the Pocket alongside reading library copies of the Origin manga kinda spoiled me for Gundam. I think IBO's my favorite full length show overall, but Turn A makes a very good argument for itself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Infected posted:

Give me another MS Saga style crazy RPG

I'd love a good RPG game that's set in it's own new world for the franchise, with it's own story, own mechs etc. The sad thing is that I'm basically wishing for Gundam AGE, which just missed out on the "good" part, but could have been a really cool game if Level 5 hadn't phoned it in as a tie in to an anime that the Akahiro Hino didn't even seem all that interested in going off interviews with staff after the show that talk about him missing meetings regularly, not listening to other, more experienced staff when it came to making decisions on the show etc.

I'd love a character action game set in the G Gundam universe that took advantage of how silly and over the top that entire setting is, too. Gundam hasn't had a good 2d/pseudo 3d fighting game for a a long time either, from what I can tell and it seems like they're more interested in games like the Versus series that have a much more open field that concentrates more on team tactics, constantly tracking enemies etc. I'm not even a huge fighting game fan, but I do like playing a small bit of things like Street Fighter, Soul Calibur etc. every now and then and Versus just seems like there's too much going on where a relatively contained field suits my limited interest more.

The Versus games seem to fill the same relative niche that something like the arcadey/sims from Lucasarts such as X-Wing, TIE Fighter and the various Starfighter or Rogue Squadron games had too, at least these days and I'd love something like that for Gundam. The Operation Troy game mentioned seems more along those lines, but a newer one would be cool, since that's a Dreamcast game going off the discussion. Oh well.

Scrree posted:

I liked the Will Game episodes just for exploring a little bit of Dianna's past and forces Dianna to move on from that past. I do think the show could have done more with it, especially since that part also sets up why people want to return to Earth in general and it feels like there could be more exploration of that sentiment in that section of the show, but I still like it in general and feel that it has a strong conclusion with the present Will Game's death.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I just want another Gundam Musou. We know Omega Force can still do good work between Hyrule Warriors and Persona 5 Strikers.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do any of y'all have a link to that tweet where it's a real life robot that is modeled as the original Gundam that is wobbling as it's struggling to walk as the funky battle theme plays

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Now that you have reminded me of it I too would like to see the tweet again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of Turn,

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/1361811791492222979

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Soichie gets absolutely bodied in the ending and I will never forgive tomino for this, absolute heartbreaker

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ramadu posted:

Soichie gets absolutely bodied in the ending and I will never forgive tomino for this, absolute heartbreaker

She was a giant brat the entire time, she earned all her misery. I like Sochie, she's a very sympathetic character, but her ending is really the only one she had coming.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

She was a giant brat the entire time, she earned all her misery. I like Sochie, she's a very sympathetic character, but her ending is really the only one she had coming.

I dunno, Loran giving her a big passionate kiss and then going off to the woods to do end-of-life care for his queen was somewhat rougher treatment than she deserved. Let them down gently, kid.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sochie is like 15, it's fine if a teenager is a bit immature and doesn't really know how to handle their crush.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Plus it’s not like Loran wouldn’t come back eventually given why he left in the first place

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

mods????? ban this filth!!!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't like Sochie. Loran is better off for having dropped the toxic people in his life.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaX posted:

Plus it’s not like Loran wouldn’t come back eventually given why he left in the first place

Yeah Loran is likely going to come back to all of his friends at some point, given that Diana likely doesn't have that long. That doesn't necessarily mean "Loran will rebound to Sochie after Diana kicks it", but it's not like it's impossible she'll ever see him again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

We're never told why Loran went with Dianna in the show itself, so it is like he won't come back eventually. At least in any romantic sense. There have been explanations offered in other variants of the story, such as Super Robot Wars but there is nothing in the TV show or movies about why they went off together. The novels and manga for Turn A are also written by different people than the show's staff, and alter events so much that the characters end in completely different places so their finales shouldn't be taken as an indication of anything in the animation, even putting aside that as far as I know Loran only ends up with Sochie in some of them, has no particular partner in others and is implied to be Dianna's partner in more manga or novelizations.

Sochie could be waiting for him to come back as some of those stories have stipulated, but even putting aside that there isn't actually anything in the animation suggesting that Dianna is dying or going to die any time soon, that Loran and Sochie do not have a romantic relationship at any point up to the finale, that Loran doesn't appear to care that Sochie is in a relationship with Gavane, that multiple characters, including Sochie herself, posit that Loran has feelings for Dianna as Kihel, that the only even vaguely romantic scenes that Loran has in the show are with Dianna as Kihel and that that Dianna appears to be wearing a wedding ring in the finale, it's still weird to suggest that Loran had to leave if he had any romantic feelings for Sochie because if that was true then why can Sochie not live with them? If all that Loran is doing is being a live in servant to Dianna, then why can Sochie not live with them or they live with her? Along with Sochie's mother, presumably. It's not like servants have to be single, even within that fictional setting, since the Heim family servants are married.

As is, Loran has put Sochie as, at best, second priority while he goes off to live in the middle of nowhere with another woman for an unknown amount of time. A woman who is still physically young and attractive at the very least, and who he has shown an admiration for, as well as Sochie herself suspecting there is more, and when we see them, that woman is wearing what appears to be a wedding ring that is not present at any other point in the show (and no, it is not Will Game's ring, because he specifically says that he won't ask for her hand until he returns and no-one ever mentions a ring during that entire arc). Why would you want Loran to return to Sochie at that point? When he has shown that even if he has no romantic feelings for Dianna (questionable as that is), he still considers her a greater priority than Sochie herself, and didn't just bring Sochie to live with them or both of them live with her when he absolutely could have for no apparent reason.

Sochie would have to have no self respect to accept that relationship.

Gaius Marius posted:

Loran is better off for having dropped the toxic people in his life.

This is good point too. Sochie is not a good person to Loran for large parts of the show, and defaults to treating him like a servant rather than a friend or comrade in arms whenever she is upset with him or wants his attention. And when that doesn't work, she accepts Gavane's affections seemingly to provoke Loran's jealousy. She does seem to develop actual feelings for Gavane before he dies, but it certainly looks like she's just trying to make Loran jealous initially. Dianna as Kihel seems to share that perception too, because that and Sochie treating Loran like a servant are why she slaps Sochie at one point roughly mid-show if I recall.

I personally do like Sochie, but she is a very immature person who has some questionable opinions for large parts of the show. The fact she grows out of them is part of what makes her one of the most dynamic and interesting characters in the show, but she treated Loran like poo poo for almost half the show, so it's not really surprising Loran doesn't seem to have romantic feelings for her during the show and what makes the kiss in the final so weird; even putting aside that he leaves immediately afterward, with no apparent emotional reaction. Loran is not a stoic person, and as soon as the kiss is done he just walks away. No final words, no lingering looks, nothing as far as we're shown. The kiss itself is quite long, but while Sochie is very emotional during it, Loran doesn't seem to be at all. Which you'd imagine he would be given his personality.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

This is just far, far too many words to respond to something as innocuous as “he’ll probably see his friends again after the person he is caring for loving dies” without getting too hung up on the romantic part because they are still teenagers and this is still all fan fiction

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Okay. Then how about one question: why didn't Loran take Sochie with him if he actually gave a poo poo about her romantically?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

“I’m romantically interested in you, please come with me as I perform end of life care for my Queen” is not a great pick up line

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Okay. Then how about one question: why didn't Loran take Sochie with him if he actually gave a poo poo about her romantically?

Because what he is doing is personal, either romantically or platonically, between him and Diana. Loran is shown to have a big connection with Diana throughout the whole show, whether Diana as Diana or Diana as Kihel. Either way, Loran feels obligated to go with Diana, and that obligation supersedes any feelings (real or hypothetical) he has for Sochie.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MechaX posted:

“I’m romantically interested in you, please come with me as I perform end of life care for my Queen” is not a great pick up line

If she's interested enough that they kiss, he doesn't need a pick up line. Nevermind that "it's my job" shouldn't be something that needs explanation. That aside though, why would Sochie want him back if that's true?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ramadu posted:

mods????? ban this filth!!!!!

not close to my most hated Gundam take try again

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

not close to my most hated Gundam take try again

:justpost:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

0080 is bad. It sucks.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 17, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was expecting more honestly.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

I was expecting more honestly.

:shrug: usually sends this place into a tizzy.

G Reco is also very bad and people should stop recommending it in any format.

oh and 0083 is loving great ya haters.

vv 00 S2 is just fine p close to S1, 00 was def very strong AU Gundam. IBO is the best Gundam in the past decade and it isn't close. vv

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 17, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

G Reco is the only unconditional recommend I could give from the franchise in the last decade.

And gundam 00 season 2 is just as good or better than season 1.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

tsob posted:

If she's interested enough that they kiss, he doesn't need a pick up line. Nevermind that "it's my job" shouldn't be something that needs explanation. That aside though, why would Sochie want him back if that's true?

If she was willing to look past and forgive him leaving for a somewhat selfless, but somewhat inconsiderate reason, then it would be her choice on whether or not she would try to re-pursue something romantic with Loran.

Gotta be some fanfics about this

Gaius Marius posted:

And gundam 00 season 2 is just as good or better than season 1.

In rewatching some of those backhalf episodes... eh. Seemed like they were strapped for time entirely at some points.

But I probably wouldn't put it down there with Destiny, AGE, or Igloo

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SD Gundam Force is the epitome of the Gundam franchise and it has been all downhill since.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SD gundam force was pretty cool. I'd probably watch that over destiny or ibo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I can't really believe you'd put Destiny and IBO into the same category

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Destiny doesn't deserve that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd rank it above Age and Destiny, but it's way below any tomino series, Wing, or 00. I'd say it'd be about equal to Unicorn or X. I can't say I hated it, but it was boring and I have zero desire to ever revisit it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

G Reco is trash, 00 S1 is the best AU show and S2 is tripe, IBO is the best Gundam product of the last decade by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Are you guys just not counting Thunderbolt? Or are we only talking full series?