Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

From Boreanaz' statement it sounds like he never personally saw any of it, but believes them. It may be a case where he just had favorites he didn't gently caress with, and Tudyk was one of them.

He hasn't been accused of anything by people in Firefly, it might just be he waits until the second season of a show to become a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure Baldwin will stand up for Whedon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m also pretty sure Tudyk’s statement came a little while ago, when it was just rumours about Whedon being lovely on the set of Justice League and not everyone had come forward. I’ll be honest, I’d be curious what he has to say now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phylodox posted:

I’m also pretty sure Tudyk’s statement came a little while ago, when it was just rumours about Whedon being lovely on the set of Justice League and not everyone had come forward. I’ll be honest, I’d be curious what he has to say now.

To my knowledge he hasn't worked with anyone who's made an accusation towards Whedon. Even if you didn't see it, it's gotta be different if someone you worked with closely for multiple seasons on a show says this and if your only commonality is you once worked with the same person years apart.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure Baldwin will stand up for Whedon.

I wouldn't be too sure about that.
The two argued constantly on the set about politics.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Vince MechMahon posted:

From Boreanaz' statement it sounds like he never personally saw any of it, but believes them. It may be a case where he just had favorites he didn't gently caress with, and Tudyk was one of them.

A lot of abusers will single out people to harass for whatever reason they use to justify it in their head, but not be a creepy gently caress up to other people, so this is very possible.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Anora posted:

A lot of abusers will single out people to harass for whatever reason they use to justify it in their head, but not be a creepy gently caress up to other people, so this is very possible.

Yeah, sounds as he was going after certain type of people he thought were easy targets (women and PoC). People like that can act as the coolest charismatic dudes in the world around everyone else, so it's understandable that Anthony Steward never got to see his behavior in person. Masters was an exception because it seems he was really angry his character was so famous and fans were pairing him with Buffy...which makes Whedon so loving creepy.

He probably never abused people like ScarJo because of her status as an actress in big movies, but honestly I really dunno how protective is Disney of abuse towards their actors. Or how good they are to sweep everything under a rug.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

He hasn't been accused of anything by people in Firefly, it might just be he waits until the second season of a show to become a monster.

There's a bit in an old documentary from the early 2000s about Whedon, when he was about as much of a full-fledged nerd hero as he'd ever be, where someone mentions offhandedly that you'd have to be insane to be the showrunner for more than one TV program. Immediate hard cut to Whedon talking about how at that point, between "Firefly," "Buffy," and "Angel," he was running three. He might've just not have had the time to gently caress around on that set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

Tudyk also worked on Dollhouse, though. I think it's more likely that as someone said, Whedon had preferred targets rather than be weird to everyone. The person whose silence to date surprises me most is Summer Glau, who would seem to exactly fit his bill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Because I'm a huge nerd I have all the Buffy DVDs and watched the episodes with commentary that have them and that time Angel was evil and just snapped the neck of a teacher that was a recurring character and friend to Buffy until then, Whedon says he did it to let all the actors know they could be fired at any moment. It seemed like a funny aside 15 year ago, but I've been thinking about it way too much since Charisma Carpenter's statement.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

David D. Davidson posted:

Hey guys remember when Joss Whedon was hailed as a feminist?

Yes, and I remember back in the mid-late 2000s people writing blogs critiquing some pretty anti-feminist and anti-POC trends in Whedon’s work from Buffy onwards.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Whedon's been a problematic fave since before Buffy was canceled.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, sounds as he was going after certain type of people he thought were easy targets (women and PoC).

At the same time, J. August Richards tweeted out sympathy and compassion for Carpenter, but nothing specific about Whedon. It could be that Whedon’s just a malignant rear end in a top hat completely at random. No pattern, just treats whoever he doesn’t care for like poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Because I'm a huge nerd I have all the Buffy DVDs and watched the episodes with commentary that have them and that time Angel was evil and just snapped the neck of a teacher that was a recurring character and friend to Buffy until then, Whedon says he did it to let all the actors know they could be fired at any moment. It seemed like a funny aside 15 year ago, but I've been thinking about it way too much since Charisma Carpenter's statement.

This is also the same poo poo he said to Marsters while he had him against that wall. That regardless of his character being popular that the power is still his.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Skwirl posted:

There's a part of me that wonders Whedon being a dick was a factor in Firefly's bungling. It obviously wouldn't be the only factor. But after almost two decades of "Bring back Firefly" petitions and internet rumor-false starts, Whedon's general shittiness seems like it would be the obvious barrier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whedon being a dick is why Angel was canceled. He came back from Firefly and tried to big dick his way to an early renewal and it backfired.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/amp/

Whedon absolutely knew and knows what he’s doing. Like almost all abusers, he’s of sound mind and knows what he’s doing is harmful, even to people he cares about, but his values system is busted. Rationalizing and making excuses for his behaviors is easier and more convenient than facing the harm, apologizing and atoning, and changing as a person.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Skwirl posted:

Not to do with on-set abuse as such, but wasn't there supposedly a planned storyline where Inara gets raped? I remember reading about it and thinking "Woah, surely they can't be serious." Now it all sounds horribly plausible.

Definitely seeing a pathology emerging with Whedon, namely that he gets off on creating a strong female character and having them be abused in the cruellest way possible. It's like "I made them, I can break them." It's right there in his Wonder Woman script as well, and Dollhouse too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maelstache posted:

Not to do with on-set abuse as such, but wasn't there supposedly a planned storyline where Inara gets raped? I remember reading about it and thinking "Woah, surely they can't be serious." Now it all sounds horribly plausible.

Definitely seeing a pathology emerging with Whedon, namely that he gets off on creating a strong female character and having them be abused in the cruellest way possible. It's like "I made them, I can break them." It's right there in his Wonder Woman script as well, and Dollhouse too.

"She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

"She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'"

Jim Halpert, staring into the camera.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Before all of this, I forgot how much rape there actually was in Firefly. Like... holy gently caress, Joss.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So that's what the syringe was. Huh. I assumed it gave her magic kick rear end powers like, well, everyone else.

I've still been in the mood to give that show a re-watch of late...

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Vince MechMahon posted:

That was it. Holy gently caress.

It's loving baffling how they thought that kind of poo poo would ever fly with Fox, who I'm starting to wonder if weren't entirely the villains they've been painted as in the Firefly story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, in retrospect there's a lot of :stonk: being done by that "Mal finds a ship full if dead cannibal-rapists and a brutalized Inara but he still has the down home gentlemanly charm of getting down on one knee because even a victim of intense trauma deserves chivalrous respect.

Like Mal does the whole "ya drat whore" thing a few times in the show as a weird shorthand for 'attracted to Inara but'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maelstache posted:

That was it. Holy gently caress.

It's loving baffling how they thought that kind of poo poo would ever fly with Fox, who I'm starting to wonder if weren't entirely the villains they've been painted as in the Firefly story.

Firefly pilot is super boring and Fox was absolutely right to start with a later episode.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"It would take a hideous, unthinkable sexual assault for Mal to start treating Inara with basic human respect and not constantly call her a whore" really sums up so many of Firefly's issues for me. That show wasn't Dollhouse, but it still had huge glaring Whedon Problems.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

"It would take a hideous, unthinkable sexual assault for Mal to start treating Inara with basic human respect and not constantly call her a whore" really sums up so many of Firefly's issues for me. That show wasn't Dollhouse, but it still had huge glaring Whedon Problems.

Even if I wanted to rewatch the show and honestly I haven't in ages, even without Joss there's that giant chunk of Adam Baldwin there to turn one off. Did any of the cast ever say anything about him?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Even if I wanted to rewatch the show and honestly I haven't in ages, even without Joss there's that giant chunk of Adam Baldwin there to turn one off. Did any of the cast ever say anything about him?

He and Alan Tudyk reportedly came close to blows on the set at least once and seem to despise each other, if I'm recalling correctly.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

He and Alan Tudyk reportedly came close to blows on the set at least once and seem to despise each other, if I'm recalling correctly.

From what it sounds like (from this interview at least), they were friendly, but would get frustrated with each other. At least from Joss’s perspective.

Also...

quote:

Adam has always been a very conservative Libertarian, and he’s always been a very sweet and grateful and hard working actor, and that’s the guy I like to think about, not the guy who is calling me and Felicia Day out on Twitter because some obnoxious person is on our side and saying, ‘This proves...’ something. I don’t understand.

I never understood. He very sweetly begged me not to vaccinate my children. He gave me books on the subject.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/NadriaTucker/status/1364619228628750340?s=19

Reminder: Geoff Johns is a piece of poo poo

Edit:

https://twitter.com/NadriaTucker/status/1364601110619545607?s=19

Also some background
https://twitter.com/TheFirstOkiro/status/1364582425670508545?s=19

McCloud fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 24, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JESUS CHRIST WHAT

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1364643265421664263?s=20

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

That sounds like a Kevin Smith skit

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's a big fuckin yikes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Geoff Johns is the writer who brought Cyborg back to his original form and them pushed him to the A list of the Justice League so let's all just assume that he has written extensive notes about Cyborg's robo-balls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Geoff Johns is the writer who brought Cyborg back to his original form and them pushed him to the A list of the Justice League so let's all just assume that he has written extensive notes about Cyborg's robo-balls.

Ehh, I don't think Bendis wrote extensive notes on The Thing's reproductive organs when he put him on Avengers.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I don't think Bendis wrote extensive notes on The Thing's reproductive organs when he put him on Avengers.

Chuck Austen and Nightcrawler on the other hand...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

No but there's definitely a wall of post its with extensive thoughts on Luke Cage.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Chuck Austen and Nightcrawler on the other hand...

Was Austen ever more than just a kinda creepy writer who didn’t filter being more overtly sexual with a lot of his work? I don’t know his story with Nightcrawler though.

I swear I read way back in Internet 1.0 that Dave Cockrum privately drew Nightcrawler and Kitty together with the latter character uh, “enjoying a little AC/DC” (paraphrased). If that was true that feels downright normal tbh.

I’m really disappointed in Geoff Johns’s hard-headed rear end in a top hat racist attitudes. I jumped on to DC right when he started the Titans and Outsiders reboots and enjoyed his JSA stuff. I wonder if this was an always thing or if he’s high on his own “relevance.”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chuck Austen made a joke about Nightcrawler having two dicks. Hard to say if he was serious or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

This reminds me of an old interview on newsarama by the writer of the Cyborg solo series discussing the same thing:
he'd have Cyborg partially regenerating some of his body, mentionning that it was pretty iffy if the main black DC hero
was "neutered" or something along those terms.