Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

feelix posted:

It takes a lot for me to laugh at sad nerds' expense but I just cannot help but get some schadenfreude out of the disappointment of people who have been waiting 18 years for the conclusion of a crappy anime game

I mean honestly anyone who is like really emotionally set off by it instead of just a "are you fuckin joking me with this" yeah

Like if they brought back my favorite soda but it was really just using the old branding but the flavor was totally different, that level of disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ff7r was so freakin good, i'm actually pretty excited about ff 16 because of how good it was

being excited for a final fantasy game is a tremendously alien feeling for me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I love doom eternal and it's my GOTY but tbh anyone that feels that way about it is entitled to their preferences and they're right that it feels less like a doom game than 2016 did but I still think it is very good and prefer it to 2016. I don't know if I'd even enjoy it on a console with a controller, the weapon swapping would be a pain in the rear end I would think

I used a controller on pc. It wasn't that bad since when you bring up the weapon wheel time gets really slow. Which of course the speed runners used to perform that awesome turbo leap thing

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

That new Nintendo Direct was just dire. There's nothing in there that looks anymore more than mildly interesting that is coming out this year. I don't even know what those guys are doing, my switch is getting real dusty.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Maybe if I wait a few years SaGa Frontier HD will be 20 bucks

But yeah I've been waiting for more Bayonetta 3 news for a while now

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There was a few interesting things for me to play on my friends switch after I get him to buy them.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Outer wilds looked and sounded awful on a proper console but I'd be interested in trying out the switch port

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bayonetta 3 is basically the only thing Im holding onto a switch for since Metroid Prime 4 died on its way back to its home planet

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the switch has so much good poo poo i've filled a 1gb sd card and keep needing to archive stuff when new things come out

i mean yeah a lot of it is first party nintendo stuff so if you're not into that it can be a drag, but even then there's a million decent ports and stuff

the real problem with the switch is the fact that joycons kinda don't hold up to the kind of abuse they're expected to, and the store is so loaded with shovelware and the interface is so bad that it's literally difficult to browse unless you know exactly what you want already

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
unpopular opinion: So fuckin excited for new Mario Golf on switch. Nintendo makes the best sports games, hands down.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

unpopular opinion: So fuckin excited for new Mario Golf on switch. Nintendo makes the best sports games, hands down.

I don't care how lovely Wario's stats are. He, that hat and I are gonna make memories together.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i honestly don't know what all of these awesome first party switch games people are buying are

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

lol hell yeah

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Caesar Saladin posted:

i honestly don't know what all of these awesome first party switch games people are buying are

Probably the WiiU games nobody played?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I would watch golf as an actual sport if it was essentially what we saw demonstrated as 'speed golf' in the Mario golf trailer. Kind of like a biathlon for warm countries.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

I have ring fit and that's it. If they were cheaper I'd take a punt, but nup

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i was excited when someone at work said skyward sword was coming to switch since i never got a chance to play it, but then i watched the thing and wtf is with the sword controls? i dont wanna wag my arms around to do the sword and i certainly dont wanna use an analog stick for it either

did that game rely on directional sword swipes that much?

also breath of the wild is the worst zelda game in the series

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ShoogaSlim posted:

i was excited when someone at work said skyward sword was coming to switch since i never got a chance to play it, but then i watched the thing and wtf is with the sword controls? i dont wanna wag my arms around to do the sword and i certainly dont wanna use an analog stick for it either

did that game rely on directional sword swipes that much?

also breath of the wild is the worst zelda game in the series

Yes it used a ton of motion controls and poorly. The fact they're advertising you don't have to use motion controls I think shows they realize how unpopular the motion stuff was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even with them gone, skyward sword was a chore to play. Like worse than ocarina somehow, and that's one of the worst games in the series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skyward Sword is such a not good game that even after removing its absolutely glaring core issue of the motion controls it would still be a mediocre to bad game.

There was a very, very long stretch of very not good Zelda games that got way too high scores

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't a lot of Zelda fans lose their goddamn minds at some reviewer giving Twilight Princess 8.8? Just as well no one gives a poo poo about games journalism anymore.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Majora's mask and Wind waker are the only good 3d Zelda's the others are lovely 3d action games with bad controls and dumb puzzles, or Botw which is just sort of boring after awhile and has poo poo dungeons. 2D zelda is in every respect a better form of the franchise

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't a lot of Zelda fans lose their goddamn minds at some reviewer giving Twilight Princess 8.8? Just as well no one gives a poo poo about games journalism anymore.

Yeah, that would be one Jeff Gerstmann, Ocarina fan's are loving crazy, probably because the N64 was such a lovely console that all they had to play was Mario 64 and Ocarina

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Doctor J Off posted:

I thought Shenmue 3 was great. I replayed 1 and 2, then went right to 3 last year and it was seamless. I don't know what the angry bitter nerds were waiting for, but it boggles the mind that anyone who really wanted another Shenmue could really dislike it that much. I can't help but think they wanted the game to make them feel like the first one did when they were 20 years younger and then got mad at it when that didn't happen

they hosed up the combat so bad in 3 i couldn't bring myself to finish it. one and two have a free roaming virtua fighter style system with dorals move list and a counter button.
three had this nightmare rpg like priority system for doing moves. shenmue without the fun combat is way too bland, like a sandwich comprised entirely of bread.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yes, it was the original gamergate

Gaius Marius posted:

Majora's mask and Wind waker are the only good 3d Zelda's the others are lovely 3d action games with bad controls and dumb puzzles, or Botw which is just sort of boring after awhile and has poo poo dungeons. 2D zelda is in every respect a better form of the franchise

Yeah, that would be one Jeff Gerstmann, Ocarina fan's are loving crazy, probably because the N64 was such a lovely console that all they had to play was Mario 64 and Ocarina

i fuckin' love botw and the stuff it experiments with but the rest of your post here is 10000% the truth. nerds are nerds but i honestly kind of think the ~console wars~ got much worse in the late 90s because of the 64's scant library that happened to lock up a few genuinely great games. sega does what nintendon't and all, but the psone/64 divide seemed way more intense than the genesis/snes one in my area.

also i can't remember if i said it in the other thread or not but i dig your new av and have been enjoying reading your analyses as someone quite a bit further but much more confused than you are

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's good that the Zelda franchise is varied enough that people have very different opinions about which ones are good or bad

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

signalnoise posted:

It's good that the Zelda franchise is varied enough that people have very different opinions about which ones are good or bad

There are people that think skyward sword was good? (outside of someone who is 6 and that was their first one).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Flannelette posted:

There are people that think skyward sword was good? (outside of someone who is 6 and that was their first one).

I dunno about that one, or Toilet Princess, but I see a lot of differences in people liking Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Breath of the Wild at least. With those 3 alone you'll get some people saying each one is the favorite, and others saying that's the worst or the start of bad era or some poo poo

I'm just tryin to save Zelda for god's sake

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword was a stretch of really bad games for 5+ years straight. The only other franchise to survive something like that is Sonic and with Sonic we aren't all supposed to pretend their good.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I remember playing Phantom Hourglass on a plane as a kid and being stuck for like, 2 hours trying to figure out how to blow out candles before I sighed into the screen really hard and blew them out. Like, you were supposed blow into the microphone to blow out the candles. Infuriating.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i don't think any of the non-2d zeldas ever had good gameplay but it's really more about the world itself and walking around in it and interacting with characters

the n64 ones have terribly boring dungeons and majora's mask feels too much like a romhack for me to really like it any more than oot, which i already don't care for much. wind waker is only slightly better, never played twilight princess but at least it looks like it has cool characters

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

yes, it was the original gamergate

i fuckin' love botw and the stuff it experiments with but the rest of your post here is 10000% the truth. nerds are nerds but i honestly kind of think the ~console wars~ got much worse in the late 90s because of the 64's scant library that happened to lock up a few genuinely great games. sega does what nintendon't and all, but the psone/64 divide seemed way more intense than the genesis/snes one in my area.
It was pretty dire, my buddy had a 64 and I had a PS1 and I remember how defensive he'd get when I'd come over with a new game I bought every month and all he ever had was Mario,Zelda, and Pokemon stadium.

I honestly feel really bad for the owner's of the system they were let down by nintendo hard, I don't know if you listen to any retorgames podcasts/youtubes but Modern Vintage Gamer and Retrohour UK have both had talks about the N64 and how challenging it was to develop for it was, most of the actual documentation for the subsytems was still Japanese only two year's into devopment, the people who ported RE2 to the N64 had to create their own interlacing and codec just to get the FMV's to run because there was zero help from nintendo to do so.

Rockman Reserve posted:

also i can't remember if i said it in the other thread or not but i dig your new av and have been enjoying reading your analyses as someone quite a bit further but much more confused than you are
I can assure you that as I'm finishing round 3 I'm very confused. I do think I have a decent grasp on the meta plot but the details continue to confound me. I can honestly say the only thing saving me in that game is the fact I voraciously read mystery novels as a child.

Now that my money ain't going to a wife beater I figured after half decade it was time to get a real avatar, and what could be better than seeing Beato's smiling face everytime I post.

signalnoise posted:

I'm just tryin to save Zelda for god's sake
You wanna save Zelda then give the franchise back to Capcom, they made a full half of the good games in the series

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I can't min/max or dump a stat. I'm physically unable.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I love doom eternal and it's my GOTY but tbh anyone that feels that way about it is entitled to their preferences and they're right that it feels less like a doom game than 2016 did but I still think it is very good and prefer it to 2016. I don't know if I'd even enjoy it on a console with a controller, the weapon swapping would be a pain in the rear end I would think

I quite like it, it's ok. I haven't been back to it much, but it's an alright game. The thing that really dirked me off though was that coming from D16, the enemy graphics seemed a lot worse. Apparently they actually are higher poly count, but to me (and apparently a lot of people) they just look a LOT worse. Considering the environments are mostly "Brown or other wasteland" it feels overall like a step down in graphical quality most of the time, which sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A full 1/3rd or more of the N64's library was racing games. It was a really dire system to own.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help a lot of the real good N64 stuff came out way late in its lifespan.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Zelda game i have enjoyed the most is Links Awakening and even then i don't think i finished it.

I didn't play skyward sword which everyone seems to dislike but i will say phantom hourglass is one of the worst games i paid full price for.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I absolutely loved Metroid Prime back in the day, but it's an absolute chore to play now. Basically same with anything that used the Wii motion controls. Mario Kart, Smash, and the 2d Mario/Donkey Kong games are basically the only first party Wii games that are still fun.

Lodin posted:

The next No Man's Sky patch will turn the game into Pokemon so now it's probably the best game ever. :yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2wNFByBo3s

That game bummed me out because they patched out a lot of the jank, but it's still grindy as hell. Which is also my problem with Terraria. I have zero interest in playing Minecraft outside of "turn off enemies and build poo poo", but I imagine that'd be similar.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Switch is pretty much just an indie machine to me right now. Last year the only two games I put much time into were Animal Crossing and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, the latter a game I'd already played on PC the year before. Other than that I just pick up the odd smaller game from time to time if it looks interesting and is cheap. That said, the only game I played on PS4 last year was Sushi Ghost and otherwise I just use the thing for Netflix and Plex.
PC is my main go to these days.

My unpopular (?) video game opinion is that Tyranny is a very good old school CRPG with combat that sadly gets a bit naff after a while.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The switch is a marvellous games console to play mario Odyssey on and is good for gently caress all else that you can't do somewhere else cheaper and faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I love my Switch but yeah it's been gathering dust since I mostly play games on my gaming pc these days.