Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just start calling all of these NATO missions Resolute Support Mission [country]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Looking like Ted wants the tomatoes thrown at him to be replaced by rocks.

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1362463765992787968

Why? Texans love him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought he’d died years ago. Last I heard of him was at Senator Inouye’s funeral (over 8 years ago :stare: )

This is the last thing I remember Dole doing, which was right about the same time I guess:

Wikipedia posted:

On December 4, 2012, Dole made an appearance on the Senate floor to advocate ratification of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Democratic Senator John Kerry explained: "Bob Dole is here because he wants to know that other countries will come to treat the disabled as we do." The Senate rejected the treaty by a vote of 61–38, less than the 66 required for ratification. Many Republican senators voted against the bill, fearing it would interfere with American sovereignty.[78]

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

why are the big brave texans and their elected leaders such a cowardly group of babies? very confused

All hat and no cattle is the technical term.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

Why? Texans love him.

Cruz won by the slimmest margin in Texas since 1978. Trump beat Biden by 5.5 points. Cruz won by less than 2.5 points over Beto O’Rourke. Cornyn won his race by 10 points.

He has an R in front of his name, but Cruz is not loved by Texans.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Yup.

https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1362447404310609921

I'm reading that a lot of times, VIPs like Senators will be deplaned right onto the tarmac instead of the terminal. Ted's gonna need that.

They should absolutely do that except without the benefit of stairs.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This GME hearing thing is clown shoes, you're telling me congress cant afford staffers to triage their meetings? loving dumb, I support maximum ages in congress.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mlmp08 posted:

Cruz won by the slimmest margin in Texas since 1978. Trump beat Biden by 5.5 points. Cruz won by less than 2.5 points over Beto O’Rourke. Cornyn won his race by 10 points.

Cruz is absolutely the candidate that every Texan holds their nose while they pull the lever for him

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Reminder that the carpetbaggers moving to Texas are actually seeking a conservative paradise and making the state redder:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Reminder that the carpetbaggers moving to Texas are actually seeking a conservative paradise and making the state redder:

This fits. The 2 people I know in TX that actually like Cruz moved there from OK.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is the same as Florida. Almost everyone in my dads community is Midwestern or Northeastern and wanted to get away from the “blacks and the gays.” The only liberal ones are Canadians for the most part and another autoworker like my dad.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Straight down the fuckin' barrel. Locking eyes with the camera and showing there's nothing there.

https://twitter.com/corinne_perkins/status/1362472442678099974

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Bigfoot looking motherfucker right there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hahaha switched to a Texas face mask.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That's a big bag to pack for just flyin the kids down. Boy I love to fly in a pandemic for no loving reason.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

That's a big bag to pack for just flyin the kids down. Boy I love to fly in a pandemic for no loving reason.

He needed a break after voting to acquit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Perseverance rover lands today. About 90 minutes out.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Perseverance rover lands today. About 90 minutes out.

Sweet, could use a lil distraction

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Grip it and rip it posted:

Sweet, could use a lil distraction

nasa's got livestreams galore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm0b_ijaYMQ

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1362469575422578694?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nah, Cruz got shamed (probably the wrong word for such a shameless scumfuck weasel like Zodiac Senator but my vocab fails me) into coming back. The billionaire class wouldn't care what the public said.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Holy poo poo that means there were more Trump voters splitting the ticket on the senate race in TX than SC

lmao

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nah, Cruz got shamed (probably the wrong word for such a shameless scumfuck weasel like Zodiac Senator but my vocab fails me) into coming back. The billionaire class wouldn't care what the public said.

Cancun Cruz is too cheap to just buy a 1st class ticket and probably manage to avoid a lot of scrutiny. He used his miles for club access.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cugel the Clever posted:

My aunt is the same way for Hannity.

It's always "well, they're just an entertainer!" when proven incontrovertibly wrong, yet every word is taken as the gospel truth up until then. And folks are increasingly resistant to accepting truth, up to and including their "entertainer" publicly recanting and admitting being wrong ("well, they were just forced to say that by the globalists!").

There's a degree to which the same occurs across the political spectrum and folks should be vigilant about calling out that kind of thinking wherever they see it, but it's vastly more prominent on the right.

Yeah, Colbert isn't funny at all anymore.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Wait, why?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, Colbert isn't funny at all anymore.

Colbert and Stewart both started out as satire but ended up believing their own press releases.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Midjack posted:

They should absolutely do that except without the benefit of stairs.

this is a push I can get behind

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

its not that he did something wrong, he just stopped telling jokes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Colbert was better at playing a character than he is at playing himself is really what it comes down to imo.

e: John Oliver's still good though

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Colbert was better at playing a character than he is at playing himself is really what it comes down to imo.

e: John Oliver's still good though

yeah, this is exactly how I feel. I loved the Colbert Show, but since he isn't allowed to do that schtick anymore it shows thats really his only joke. It was a REALLY good joke tho

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Perseverance rover just hit atmo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Works posted:

He’s vaccinated. He doesn’t give a gently caress.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm halfsies on this.

On one hand: he was great at being a right-wing foil in the early 2000s, and provided a forum for folks to laugh at right-wing nonsense.

On the other hand, the next generation of right-wing motherfuckers internalized his insults and decided to make that a basis of their victimization, which indirectly led to Donald Trump's election and the rise of right-wing fascism. Colbert isn't directly responsible, but his take did lead to where we are now.

It isn't his fault any more than it's the fault of Jesus Christ for being the symbol of American Gods n' Guns, but it's certainly worth noticing in the greater context.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 18, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm halfsies on this.

On one hand: he was great at being a right-wing foil in the early 2000s, and provided a forum for folks to laugh at right-wing nonsense.

On the other hand, the next generation of right-wing motherfuckers internalized his insults and decided to make that a basis of their victimization, which indirectly led to Donald Trump's election and the rise of right-wing fascism. He isn't directly responsible, but his take did lead to where we are now.

It isn't his fault any more than it's the fault of Jesus Christ for being the symbol of American Gods n' Guns, but it's certainly worth noticing in the greater context.

I uh, don't think it is. Ive never heard of Colbert being used as a rallying cry for the right, and frankly his commentary was so benign that they would've simply found anything else to be outraged by.

Colbert is no more responsible for the ascension of Donald Trump than any other entertainer in my mind. Him lampooning the right wing media ecosystem didn't create it.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

TOUCHDOWN CONFIRMED

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Are you telling me that the same right wingers who think there are space lasers causing fires and antifa causing power outages and pizza shops hiding email servers saw Colbert’s character and knew it was satire?

I don’t think so.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1362507436611956736?s=20

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

On the other hand, the next generation of right-wing motherfuckers internalized his insults and decided to make that a basis of their victimization, which indirectly led to Donald Trump's election and the rise of right-wing fascism. Colbert isn't directly responsible, but his take did lead to where we are now.

What? Do you believe that there's a universe in which because Colbert/Stewart didn't bust the chops of right wingers and as a result we don't see republicans continually trying to do a fascism? Breh, if it wasn't those two it would have been something else, remember :umberto:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm pretty sure conservatives completely lack the ability to understand irony and that most of them actually believed that Colbert was not putting on an act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I remember Fox News tried to create its own satirical news program to answer Stewart’s Daily Show and it flopped incredibly fast. Like, so unfunny by anyone’s standards.

Here’s a promo for it; the Arial font just shows how much effort they put in.

https://youtu.be/w3DA5lN1iwI