Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I was wondering if Hijinks would fit in those gaps.

I like how the Uppercut team always seems legitimately frightened of their robot.
If any robot is going to break out of the arena and kill its creator a la Frankenstein's monster, it's Uppercut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

If any robot is going to break out of the arena and kill its creator a la Frankenstein's monster, it's Uppercut.

And that kid driving it knows it, which makes it a tragic tale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Slammow hoping they'd count out the robot limping towards them first

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For this particular type of fight, they really should scrap the 3 min rule and just let the bots fight until there's a KO. Its not like Whiplash was stalling per se, but outside of getting in a lucky lift, Whiplash was basically clinching the entire time. Which I find kinda lame
What? Whiplash was focused on its game plan, which was flanking Huge, using the lifter to keep the bar away, and attacking Huge's wheels. Which they did.

oh jay posted:

I've just now been able to realize why I don't like certain bots. I don't like it when bots can't (or worse, won't) fire their weapon unless they have their opponent pinned against a wall. This includes most hammers and saws, as well as a lot of lifters.

oh jay posted:

Same recurring theme in the bounty hunter episode as the main tournament was: JESUS JUST FIRE THE GODDAMN HAMMER BETA, YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKS.
Personally I want to see hammers actually do damage, so I appreciate it when a hammerbot driver knows how to pick their shots. If you wanna see a hammerbot just buttonmash and miss most of the time, there's always Shatter.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Personally I want to see hammers actually do damage, so I appreciate it when a hammerbot driver knows how to pick their shots. If you wanna see a hammerbot just buttonmash and miss most of the time, there's always Shatter.

I want to see hammers do damage too! But we don't get to see that if they've min-max themselves into this position where they just aren't. Based on this description:

Great Beer posted:

Apparently beta can't fire the hammer while moving or the sudden stop from the magnets engaging causes the target to slide out of range.

lol

...it's like something broke in their flowchart on how to improve. It's something like:

Problem: We want to smash things better.
Solution: Okay, the hammer's stronger now.
New Problem: It's too strong! The flipping problem is worse than ever.
Solution: Magnets!
New New Problem: This greatly disrupts our ability drive and smash.
Solution: Not found.

It's like taking a pill for the side effects of a pill for the side effects of a pill. But in the end, they're missing that last pill that would actually tie it all together. If pinning against a wall before smashing is the answer, that's fine. But you need the speed and horsepower to be able to make that happen on bots that are more mobile than Rusty.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I've always wondered why hammer bots don't have an automated targeting system for their hammer ala chomp 1.0. It must be hard as hell to see if your hammer is lined up correctly depending on where they are in the arena, and it's pretty obvious from footage that every hammer bot ignores a good chunk of possible hits. Just place the system on a bot with a competent hammer (beta) and let them slam away. obviously have an on-off button for the system too so it doesn't get fooled into hitting a wall or something

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Electronics are hard and sometimes you don't want to fire. The real question is why none of them have stolen sawblaze or skorpioses dustpan designs. Keeps the target under control and they get used as a counterweight so the hammer can hit even harder.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Great Beer posted:

Electronics are hard and sometimes you don't want to fire. The real question is why none of them have stolen sawblaze or skorpioses dustpan designs. Keeps the target under control and they get used as a counterweight so the hammer can hit even harder.

Guessing it's weight, the pneumatics for the hammer are heavy and the hammer has to be heavy too. Shove that in the back with a shovel in the front and the shovel may not be heavy / durable enough. Or you can have a great shovel and then a blacksmith-esque hammer that does nothing.

Also at that point might as well go with a vert spinner / saw combo like sawblaze, it's probably lighter and can do more damage.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

I've always wondered why hammer bots don't have an automated targeting system for their hammer ala chomp 1.0. It must be hard as hell to see if your hammer is lined up correctly depending on where they are in the arena, and it's pretty obvious from footage that every hammer bot ignores a good chunk of possible hits. Just place the system on a bot with a competent hammer (beta) and let them slam away. obviously have an on-off button for the system too so it doesn't get fooled into hitting a wall or something

Automated targeting is a very difficult problem that requires significant computational power for a bot to discern and track a target. Chomps own targeting system consists of a lidar that basically distinguishes robot from floor. Problem is, even that isn't precise enough for a hammer or spike, which really needs to hit something like a belt or a chain or other squishy thing to have effect, and there is no targeting system precise enough for that in combat robotics, a fact of the meta that's reflected in nobody, even the big players, bothering to protect their belts and chains. I'm of the belief that if somebody managed to adapt image-recognition technologies to Battlebots to reliably detect and strike exposed belts and chains (easier said than done, I know), they could upend the current crop.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The solution is to field a half dozen drones with sensors on them, triangulating the exact positions of everything in real time, obviously.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Automated targeting is a very difficult problem that requires significant computational power for a bot to discern and track a target. Chomps own targeting system consists of a lidar that basically distinguishes robot from floor. Problem is, even that isn't precise enough for a hammer or spike, which really needs to hit something like a belt or a chain or other squishy thing to have effect, and there is no targeting system precise enough for that in combat robotics, a fact of the meta that's reflected in nobody, even the big players, bothering to protect their belts and chains. I'm of the belief that if somebody managed to adapt image-recognition technologies to Battlebots to reliably detect and strike exposed belts and chains (easier said than done, I know), they could upend the current crop.

I think it might be something that could start coming up in the future. Tombstone Bounty Hunter spoiler... Gruff did actually try to go for Tombstones chain in the BH finale, ended up being a little low though...

But yea, any type of automatic targeting system is going to be really difficult to design... and even more difficult to test safely... And it's pretty clear Chomp's team has a significant advantage on the budget front...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Team hypershock going "Just gently caress us up" was my fave part of the night.
Contrast that to the butthurt dude from SlamMow.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Zedd posted:

Team hypershock going "Just gently caress us up" was my fave part of the night.
Contrast that to the butthurt dude from SlamMow.

I mean, they were upside down, not moving. This poo poo is expensive

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I mean, they were upside down, not moving. This poo poo is expensive

Ofc but They where just doing the "I won" dance obviously not intending to hit it and dude just popped.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Zedd posted:

Ofc but They where just doing the "I won" dance obviously not intending to hit it and dude just popped.

They had just got done cooking his leg that was in the air with the flamethrower, and hadn't backed off

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

The guy from Slammow was got awkwardly heated, but I do think it's obnoxious when a team gets super-pumped up about attacking a dead bot. Gee, what an accomplishment guys...

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I don't really see how Hydra is supposed to be able to get close enough to Gigabyte to flip them if the spinner's going. If they get far enough under to get a good flip then they're just gonna get smacked away. I think that one could legitimately be a huge upset

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

I expect Hydra's win is going to involve it slowing Gigabyte down enough with a combination of its own body and the wall. If it gets one flip I think it has a decent chance of gaining control and getting several. Also, I want Hydra to lose so much that there's no way my wishes will be answered

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The first minute of the fight will be glancing blows with Gigabyte half spun up. Then either Gigs will get the perfect hit, or Hydra gets under it particularly quickly. Either way, that'll be it. I give it even odds either way, honestly. Though I do want evil to lose.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gigabyte's self righting mechanism has been very iffy the last couple years... Hydra is going to get hit, but likely get Gigabyte going through the air too...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just got to watch the episode

Lol Beta, that was entirely predictable.

Poor Huge, you tried so hard and even drove pretty well. But you ain't beating Whiplash when he drives that well.

And I haven't seen anyone play with it's food like Hydra did in a while. I felt like teams used to just beat up on broken bots a lot more in the past.

logikv9 posted:

gigabyte's match making me think again that if somebody could build an extremely reliable full body spinner, they could carry the entire season

I don't know if it can be done. Was Ziggo the last full body spinner to have any success?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

There was like a period in the mid 2000s when full-body/shell spinners were the feared bots in the competition. That's when Megabyte, Gigabyte's predecessor, was at its best. Same with Shrederator.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PopetasticPerson posted:

I don't really see how Hydra is supposed to be able to get close enough to Gigabyte to flip them if the spinner's going. If they get far enough under to get a good flip then they're just gonna get smacked away. I think that one could legitimately be a huge upset

Isn't it just going to be a repeat of that other full-body spinner that got its entire shell knocked off? Hydra fires so fast.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mumbling posted:

The guy from Slammow was got awkwardly heated, but I do think it's obnoxious when a team gets super-pumped up about attacking a dead bot. Gee, what an accomplishment guys...

BB Bounty Hunter spoiler: the Slammow guy was a butthurt sore loser there as well. It's one thing to question a referee's decision, it's another thing entirely to start yelling at the opposing team captain

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BB Bounty Hunter spoiler: the Slammow guy was a butthurt sore loser there as well. It's one thing to question a referee's decision, it's another thing entirely to start yelling at the opposing team captain

There were some shenanigans before the fight that contributed: https://i.imgur.com/dGBZwxI.png

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PopetasticPerson posted:

Hydra could always run a long spatula flipper ala Bronco vs Tombstone in season 1

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Great Beer posted:

There were some shenanigans before the fight that contributed: https://i.imgur.com/dGBZwxI.png

"That caused a lot of tension" Ugh, that's a terrible excuse for poor sportsmanship. I'd understand if he was new to this but he's a 20+ year veteran

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"That caused a lot of tension" Ugh, that's a terrible excuse for poor sportsmanship. I'd understand if he was new to this but he's a 20+ year veteran

Builders are nerds so naturally they would have Heated Gamer Moments™ as well. Doesn't matter the age.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

This is also nearly two weeks into filiming, stress is normal. Dude got upset, owned up it, and apologized to the affected parties. v0v

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Specifically a veteran of all his fights being called off because he can't bring a functional robot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mumbling posted:

If they kill the bot, they get to attack the bot.

Also lmao get hosed Beta

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Lone Goat posted:

If they kill the bot, they get to attack the bot.

Also lmao get hosed Beta

I mean, it was a little hosed up when Poirier knocked out McGregor and then just went ahead and broke all his ribs, but rules are rules I guess

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I mean, it was a little hosed up when Poirier knocked out McGregor and then just went ahead and broke all his ribs, but rules are rules I guess

Robots don't get brain damage

Tremendous post + av text combination though, lol

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Lone Goat posted:

Robots don't get brain damage

Tremendous post + av text combination though, lol

Rocky said that as he got up, to continue a fight that looked to be over; not even Tommy Gunn beat on a defenseless man

What the hell do I know about BattleBots tho, my kid's bracket is doing way better than mine :qq:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

drat, you couldn't really tell from the fight, but Gigabyte really hosed up Malice.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Malice's a lot bigger than I thought, too. drat that's at least twice the size I thought.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Malice's a lot bigger than I thought, too. drat that's at least twice the size I thought.

They're all bigger than you think, I always forget they're 200+ pounds because they look like little toys without anything around them for scale.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Borsche69 posted:

Hydra could always run a long spatula flipper ala Bronco vs Tombstone in season 1

gently caress it, if bike rack worked, why not just build a giant LDPE hex dome around hydra so gig just bounces off and beats himself. GRIPPING THREE MINUTES OF TELEVISION Mk 2. :v:

e:

Fish Of Doom posted:

drat, you couldn't really tell from the fight, but Gigabyte really hosed up Malice.

Jesus, what material is Malice's weapon made of? That is a ton of chunks.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 21, 2021

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

UltraShame posted:

gently caress it, if bike rack worked, why not just build a giant LDPE hex dome around hydra so gig just bounces off and beats himself. GRIPPING THREE MINUTES OF TELEVISION Mk 2. :v:

It looks like Aluminum with an inset steel tooth.

Hydra also posted this anti-spinner attachment earlier in the season and we haven't seen it yet. This might be what they bust out against Gigabyte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

UltraShame posted:

6061 aluminum.