Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does the pillar symbol on the map mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Baron Porkface posted:

What does the pillar symbol on the map mean?

Region/"small area" capital, which is also now the best way to take entire areas under your control at once

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Probably worth mentioning that there's a potentially extremely annoying small bug at the moment where the province capital keeps changing every time you win a war, if there's a higher population territory that you own in the same province.

This was supposed to be a fix for having to manually move the province capital from some random backwater territory into a huge city you just conquered but I think that they forgot to make it only apply to new territory you just conquered and it checks every single province every time you take land.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Where do you see the fort limit for a province? I'm beginning to suspect that that's what's driving my income to tank when I expand into new territories.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 19, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I can't remember where it is on the UI, possibly under the little military tab? It defaults to 5 "levels" of forts where a level 1 fort = 3 levels and each upgrade after that is 1 level. Though I do recall reading that this might be buggy at the moment.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

RabidWeasel posted:

Probably worth mentioning that there's a potentially extremely annoying small bug at the moment where the province capital keeps changing every time you win a war, if there's a higher population territory that you own in the same province.

This was supposed to be a fix for having to manually move the province capital from some random backwater territory into a huge city you just conquered but I think that they forgot to make it only apply to new territory you just conquered and it checks every single province every time you take land.

So that's what that is! That's been bugging me having to take a loyalty hit each time I reset my province caps.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure any legion commanders have to be unemployed. You can still get your ruler as commander in a battle though as he will lead your capital levy, it's just that that the legion commander is the one who's going to be getting loyal cohorts.

What I mean is there are other requirements game doesn't tell me about. I have few guys I can set up as military researches, but there's only one dude available for commanding a legion. If I make someone unemployed they get loyalty penalty, I'm not sure it's fully compensated by rehiring, but in any case I don't want to fire people till the game allows me to make one of them a commander.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

For commanders are you assigning them through the military screen? The window that pops up when you clicj the actual unit let's you choose between the 4 people you can assign to each legion

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Am I missing something or is Urban Planning way better than Rural Planning? A second building in settlements sounds good, but I'm not sure there's a lot of synergy between the different options. Farms/mines and slave estates, yes; everything else is targeted at different pop types or is Provincial Legation, which has... marginal utility. Being able to double forts or ports without a city is good I guess, but I don't feel the need to do that so often that I'd forgo two extra slots in all my cities.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ilitarist posted:

What I mean is there are other requirements game doesn't tell me about. I have few guys I can set up as military researches, but there's only one dude available for commanding a legion. If I make someone unemployed they get loyalty penalty, I'm not sure it's fully compensated by rehiring, but in any case I don't want to fire people till the game allows me to make one of them a commander.

You have to assign them as legate or tribune for the legion, you can only select those guys to command units belong to it.

RabidWeasel posted:

I can't remember where it is on the UI, possibly under the little military tab? It defaults to 5 "levels" of forts where a level 1 fort = 3 levels and each upgrade after that is 1 level. Though I do recall reading that this might be buggy at the moment.

Yup, I found it. It's this button. Lower right icon there. Since there isn't anything like automatic free capital forts like in EU4 in this game you have to make extra sure to delete superfluous forts you acquire when you expand, especially when it's multiple smaller countries. Otherwise you'll crash your economy.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
was it the case in the past that unsettled provinces would block missions? because boy is it fun not being able to finish Greek/Numidia missions for Rome because they are telling me to conquer empty space

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Randarkman posted:

You have to assign them as legate or tribune for the legion, you can only select those guys to command units belong to it.

Oh.

Where in the UI can you ever see this clarified? Why doesn't select legion commander button tell me that I need to do this?..

Now that I've played the game for some time I'm amazed how they turned the game into something completely different. It really is a simulation now akin to Victoria 2. I was fine with 1.0 Ancient Risk On Drugs approach cause it's not like we have a lot of those. Between 1.0 and 2.0 it all felt really inconsistent. Like in some places it was gamey abstract wargame while other parts tried to simulate complex migration and the like. Now it all feels interconnected. Expansion is relatively hard, missions add a lot of context to your actions, military system is intertwined with economy and cilture and populace.

There's an army of issues too, of course. UI is really crude for now. Ideas beed some kind of overhaul. Character stuff in general is busy but not that impactful. Government offices mostly feel like they're about scorned families and power base much more than associated bonuses. Anyway it's already a cool historical simulation roleplaying strategy game, and that's great.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I do wish the game would acknowledge the OTHER major world historic empire that emerged in this period aka the Parthians.

So I started a game as Parnia and it has a whole mission tree with related events to help form Parthia. I just event-murdered the Selucid Emperor in a border skirmish and got given the border territories, plunging the Empire and its vassals into an extended army moral malus but also putting me at war with them all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

was it the case in the past that unsettled provinces would block missions? because boy is it fun not being able to finish Greek/Numidia missions for Rome because they are telling me to conquer empty space

Yes. Fortunately you can colonise a lot of territory very quickly if you have the cash. Move pops to a neighbouring territory until it's your culture & contains at least 8 pops. Colonise. Move pops into the newly colonised territory. Repeat. You can, theoretically, colonise the entire stretch between the Rhine and the sea of Azov in a single day if you have the many thousands of gold that are required.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Somewhat related to the game, I just decided to mess around a bit and use Total War Rome 2's Divide et Impera mod to make a loose recreation of a battle I fought in my Epirote campaign, where I fought and decisively defeated a larger combined force of Macedonians and Greeks in the mountains near Ambrakia. Mostly it's just kind of cool to give a bit of context to this and get a look at how these armies might look.

The Greek-Macedonian army. I forgot to take screenshots to actually get a look at its composition (in Imperator) but I remembered it having more light infantry and light cavalry compared to mine. They've got a couple of units of pikemen, but most of their strength is in the form of hoplites with light equipment rather than proper Phalangites.

My Epirote army, while smaller, consists of a professional core of phalangites, heavy cavalry and perhaps most importantly war elephants brought in from Syria. The rest of the force consists of lightly equipped spearmen and skirmishers and some richer citizens fighting from horseback.

The battle opens with a Macedonian cavalry squadron being ambushed by Epirote skirmishers, who are then forced to withdraw in disarray as they are charged by spearmen and vicious Molossian war hounds.

Then follows a brutal melee, but despite their numbers the Macedonians soon begin to buckle against the superior quality of the Epirote infantry and the fearsome might of their elephants.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Patrat posted:

So I started a game as Parnia and it has a whole mission tree with related events to help form Parthia. I just event-murdered the Selucid Emperor in a border skirmish and got given the border territories, plunging the Empire and its vassals into an extended army moral malus but also putting me at war with them all.

Huh, I played them a few patches ago and all I got was the generic missions and I didnt think they were addressed in any of the dlcs. Ill give them a shot again after I finish up my Rome game.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Huh, I played them a few patches ago and all I got was the generic missions and I didnt think they were addressed in any of the dlcs. Ill give them a shot again after I finish up my Rome game.

In the base game they had some decisions that popped up to form Parthia and move their capital after conquering Parthia itself. Plus events giving them a new super leader and a really horribly beefy cavalry army. But it seems to have definitely had a complete overhaul in the latest version and they now get things like claims, events and auto war declarations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just pried sardinia away from carthage with shockingly little effort. Aside from a local levy I saw no other troops or any fleets for the entire war which was weird. Honestly I had more trouble with the simultaneous revolt of sardinia and corsica than I did actually getting either of them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I just loaded them up and the mission looks like the generic one to me?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

So "Demand military access" actually starts a war with enforcing military access as a wargoal. You can't ask for anything else. At all. And then you have a truce with everyone who participated.

Oh bother.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Is there anything wrong with the peace system? I have two wars now that have ended in white peace, one where I had demands and in the other, the war just ended without my input.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

They were buffed a couple of times between release and this already: their getting conquered by Etruria in half of all games stopped being a thing more than a year ago, I think.

With 2.0 they've overjuiced it, I reckon. I'd prefer a Rome that can be scary strong but is weak enough that there's some run-to-run variation in how things turn out in Italy.

They have a (small) levy size bonus from their heritage and a special snowflake military reform law that gives them even more. I figure it's that plus the crazy huge population in Latium that's juicing them. They get the free claims on everywhere that Paradox usually adorns their mission trees with, but in Imp even the generic missions do that, so it's not really an edge for them.

I've seen people saying they need something to get them focused on Carthage, which seems plausible.

I figure you'll have a harder time with that in this patch. Rome's starting levy is five times Syracuse's and you're much more constrained when it comes to finding more men.

(you're going to get tricked into MP soon, just you wait :cool:)

the reason why rome (and a few other nations too) is so strong is that they get the antagonist modifiers which are really, really good and make certain ai nations much more aggressive and better at expanding. basically like lucky nations in eu4. the game could probably use a randomize button for antagonist.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Is there anything wrong with the peace system? I have two wars now that have ended in white peace, one where I had demands and in the other, the war just ended without my input.

There's a bug relating to getting a white peace when a state you're at war with concludes a civil war, I'm not sure on the specifics of how it works though

So there's a cool even which can fire if you're integrating a culture and that culture has a territory which is significantly better developed than your capital, which moves your capital for free and also moves a ton of population out of your old capital. So that why I have a nearly 60-pop capital city on the Caspian coast as Atropatene instead of their normal lovely backwater capital :iia:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 20, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Haven't touched this game since release date, but I like what I see and bought all the DLC to head back in. I'm completely lost and overwhelmed; feels like Vicky II all over again!

Let's say I want to start in Crete and treat it like tutorial island, how would I go about this? With the levy system I'm not sure how to approach my first war; are there ways to temporarily increase your levies or otherwise get a good start off the ground?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
From what I can tell, there are not meaningful ways to short-term directly increase levy strength as the levy is determined by number of integrated culture pops. You can focus your innovations towards getting a legion early, which are definitively stronger than levies from stat bonuses and the ability to pick and choose which units will be in it. Might strain your economy more though from the constant expense

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Anybody fancy posting a run down of what buildings to build and where/why? I'm feeling a bit lost and have loads of cash to spend but not sure where to invest it.

Just fought a war where the enemy coalition was constantly recruiting mercenaries from my territory, I'd catch them with no morale and 'kill' all of them. Then they'd get hired again the instant they returned to their home province and come marching back over, very annoying.

I'm not sure how 4 minor nations managed to afford 5 stacks of mercenaries for a total of about 50k troops, but that was a very annoying war since their mercenary manpower was seemingly infinite.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I thought this was supposed to be fixed with the new DLC, I just had my 12k levy wiped out in bugged-out battles even though I had places to retreat. Leading to a death spiral of all my neighbors pilling in to kill me, was quite annoying since I had conquered pretty much all of Crete as Sparta and was on a good velocity to be able to defeat the massive defense leagues around me.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

So maybe I don't get how the new invention system works but I was given 8 picks of what to unlock at the start of the game, but when I got a new one to pick once I got a martial advancement I didn't have any inventions anymore. That's a bug, yeah?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ignorant Hick posted:

So maybe I don't get how the new invention system works but I was given 8 picks of what to unlock at the start of the game, but when I got a new one to pick once I got a martial advancement I didn't have any inventions anymore. That's a bug, yeah?

There are four separate invention trees and the game defaults to displaying none of them. Click on one of the four tech types on the left of the research screen to display one of the invention trees. Sounds like you probably just got eight inventions in one of the trees.

The research UI is really bad. It confused me at first too until I started wildly clicking on different parts of the screen. In fact, I'd say the new UI in general is largely a sidegrade from the old one. I'm not really sure how it's meant to be better.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 20, 2021

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are four separate invention trees and the game defaults to displaying none of them. Click on one of the four tech types on the left of the research screen to display one of the invention trees. Sounds like you probably just got eight inventions in one of the trees.

No, I mean I unlocked a few from each tree at the start of the game and when I went back and checked the menu after getting a new one none of them were unlocked anymore. I spent the one I had just earned on an invention that I had already picked.

e: started it back up and now the save wont load. Ah well, was only a few years in to it.

Ignorant Hick fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 20, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

From what I can tell, there are not meaningful ways to short-term directly increase levy strength as the levy is determined by number of integrated culture pops. You can focus your innovations towards getting a legion early, which are definitively stronger than levies from stat bonuses and the ability to pick and choose which units will be in it. Might strain your economy more though from the constant expense

Right, growing your military is a long term project. If you need more bodies right now you want to hire mercs and work your diplo charms.

Fellblade posted:

Anybody fancy posting a run down of what buildings to build and where/why? I'm feeling a bit lost and have loads of cash to spend but not sure where to invest it.

In settlements: farms or mines where able. Slave estate if unable and it's a valuable trade good (amber, gems, honey etc, I tend to class anything at or above 0.3 as "valuable"), though if it's really good it may be worth putting a city down there instead. Everywhere else, barracks. Note: barracks are the only settlement building that still affects pop ratios in this patch, and that's probably more significant than the actual manpower buff- you'll be turning slaves into freemen, which will push your levy sizes up as well as boosting your manpower.

In cites: so generally your best guide is to follow the civilisation boosts- the higher it is, the better the rest of the building probably is. Civilisation is also one of the most important numbers for a territory- it affects output, happiness, pop capacity and growth- and the amount you get from tech is miniscule now.

The bottom row is more powerful than the top, and the left half of the bottom row is more powerful than the right. Foundries, theatres and temples are the best, imo, but each of them requires an invention to unlock. If you're going to try for assimilation over integration then theatres are probably vital- that's by far the biggest boost to assimilation speed available.

The right half of the bottom row affects pop ratios. Generally I'd say the point of cities is nobles and citizens- they do all your research, and you don't get them in significant quantities anywhere else. However, there is a cap on your max research efficiency, and you can hit it quite easy if you try. Once you're at that point, the utility of those pop types is significantly reduced (especially at the moment since there's no difference in the levy provided by freemen vs. that provided by higher types). In the circumstance that you have built a city over one of the more valuable trade goods, it may make sense to go hard on slaves. Be aware, even in the best case scenario you're going to need something like 13 slaves per additional unit, and in a city your best ratio for slaves is like ~38%. That means you need 34 pops there total per unit, and cities tend to float between 20 and 60 unless they're capitals or you manually move people into them.

Left side of the top row has utility stuff- the most important thing here is the aqueduct, which grants additional pop capacity. That's valuable, if you have pops to fill it, and useless otherwise. The main use of those is to get a provincial capitals large enough that you can push it to metropolis status, or to allow the country capital to keep growing. Something to bear in mind is that they give 4 base, and each building slot requires 10 pops. I think there's still enough % buffs to pop cap around that you might be able to go infinite with them, but generally you are going to hit a wall at some point. That means I think you want to know how many aqueducts you need to hit your target, far enough in advance that you won't run out of slots before you get there.

Right side of the top row has a bunch of small buffs to specific outputs. These aren't weak, per se, but they're the first thing I'd throw under the bus to find space for more aqueducts. Also note that the conversion and assimilation buffs on the library and the marketplace are very, very small. So small. Percentile buffs to these values are two orders of magnitude less effective than non-percentile ones, a thing that you will not understand unless you spend some time reading the tooltips in the pop info screen.

Season forts and ports as required. Do not go overboard with forts! Fort upkeep is a major line item in your budget, now, and there's a well hidden limit to how many you can build in a single province before you get hit with maintenance penalties.

Note that, while both forts and ports may be stacked, they cannot be stacked outside of cities (...unless you take rural planning). That means if you want to create a strong point... you have to do it in a city. And forts and ports compete for slots- I personally wouldn't put more than one of either in a city unless I was going to go all in on them there- to the exclusion of other city building objectives. A superfort is the only scenario in which I would consider building an earthworks, by the by.

Ports are kinda... so, the chief virtue of stacking ports is the additional build speed. Right? So you can have one shipyard city producing all your boats. Only, you need seven ports to hit +100% speed- double production rate. You have to give a city entire overly to ports in order for it to do the job of two non-city ports. Does that sound like a good use of a city? Does it sound like an efficient use of construction funds? I think I'd rather find two settlements with trade goods I don't care about and put my ports there, to be honest.

EDIT: I should probably add that the most power piece of infrastructure you can possibly buy is the city itself. Just a naked city with nothing else going on can generate a tonne of research, everything else is just icing.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 21, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Is there still a problem with looking for spouses? I remember some DevDiary mentioning they've fixed it. But now I have a court full of old maidens. There's "Scheme: Seek Spouse" and it lets me choose a family head to seek spouse (probably) but it stops after a couple of days. I can't marry foreigners from what I can see. Is my king destined to be an incel now?

Edit: nevermind, it seems that scheme just triggers schemes for other people or something. One of the family heads conjured a girl that hasn't existed before and proposed her as a bride.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 21, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

And now there's a colonization weirdness. Tooltip for colonization lists all the territories that either don't have enough POPs, or don't have enough people. But it doesn't say anything about territories that fulfill both requirements. I've moved some POPs and one of the territories disappeared from the list, the other has appeared. And I still can't colonize for some reason.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Two questions;

The threshold for civil wars seems really low, at like 20%? How can I increase this? right now a single disloyal governor in early game Rome is sufficient to bring me over the threshold...

How do I increase the % of certain pops? I'd need more nobles for research, I think.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Just jumped in this game again - enjoying very much the pop based system they have come up with. Finally this is departing from being a bad copypasta of EU4

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

Two questions;

The threshold for civil wars seems really low, at like 20%? How can I increase this? right now a single disloyal governor in early game Rome is sufficient to bring me over the threshold...

There's an Oratory tech that bumps up this value.

Deltasquid posted:

How do I increase the % of certain pops? I'd need more nobles for research, I think.

There are buildings that change desired pop ratio as well as governor policy that speeds up promotion.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

It goes down the more powerful you are and the more tyranny you have. Not a lot of things to bring it up, maybe some techs? But there are a lot of ways to get character loyalty up, which is the same thing if you think about it.

Deltasquid posted:

Building cities will get you more of everything that isn’t a slave or a tribesman, especially cities and nobles. There are then urban buildings that can weight you more heavily towards a certain poptype, though like I said above the buildings aren’t nearly as dramatic a factor as the city itself.

If you need more freemen building barracks in settlements can have a big impact, but I don’t think it’s as cost efficient as building cities.

If you need more slaves then... don’t do any of the above?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ilitarist posted:

And now there's a colonization weirdness. Tooltip for colonization lists all the territories that either don't have enough POPs, or don't have enough people. But it doesn't say anything about territories that fulfill both requirements. I've moved some POPs and one of the territories disappeared from the list, the other has appeared. And I still can't colonize for some reason.

Oh, right, this is one of those annoying UI things. A lot of the time it only presents one or two constraints on an action in a tooltip, and once you clear them you discover that there’s another one that’s blocking you.

In this case it’s probably a holy site, and you can’t move pops in or out of holy sites for some reason. This means that if a holy site ever becomes uncolonised it’s impossible to ever colonise it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So after playing this game for another few hours, this is what I think so far.

First off, I just wanted to say I'm enjoying playing it. Now that that's out of the way, it is far too buggy for a game that's been out for so long. I'm hoping a lot of the bugs get fixed soon, but aside from the game breaking ones listed earlier in this thread there's a ton of small annoying bugs, like territories staying highlighted and lists appearing where they shouldn't.

What makes this game different than before is that I still have lots of problems with the UI and bugs, but now the drive to come back and keep playing is much stronger. The internal management is particularly addicting, to the point where I will often put off conquering too much simply because I enjoy expanding slowly and making small fiddly adjustments to the provinces, making sure the people in the republic/kingdom are satisfied enough and making sure people all have the right job. The pops are really great, and having to passively influence their performance is fantastic. I haven't gotten into a civil war yet, but I'm curious as to how that's going to function exactly. There's a lot of stuff I still don't really know or understand about this game truthfully, but it is certainly addicting so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh, right, this is one of those annoying UI things. A lot of the time it only presents one or two constraints on an action in a tooltip, and once you clear them you discover that there’s another one that’s blocking you.

In this case it’s probably a holy site, and you can’t move pops in or out of holy sites for some reason. This means that if a holy site ever becomes uncolonised it’s impossible to ever colonise it.

You are totally right, it's Olympia with the temple of Zeus.