Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
one of the lesser spoken-of 20th century economic miracles of Germany is that it became the Gummy Powerhouse of Europe for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twoday posted:

one of the lesser spoken-of 20th century economic miracles of Germany is that it became the Gummy Powerhouse of Europe for some reason

Is it just me, or are "jelly babies" bad attempts at making gummy bears?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jelly babies are for degenerates.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Jelly babies aren't very similar to gummy bears except in shape
e: according to wikipedia jelly babies have been around longer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jelly babies are the only sweet I've had where you can get such a variance in quality even from the same manufacturer. Some batches seem to be hard with mostly starchy outer casing and very little jelly and then others you get are much softer and mostly jelly, do they just go stale from sitting in a warehouse for years or something?

In any case, the real british treasure if the soft fruit jelly, both a fantastic sweet and naturally vegan-friendly from before that was even a serious consideration. Do they ever get any play on the continent?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jelly babies were invented to promote peace among the warring degenerate european monarchies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so does the uber ruling not affect current drivers??

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

jelly babies were invented to promote peace among the warring degenerate european monarchies

They were intended to act like methadone, weaning the aristocracy off of eating regular babies.

twoday
May 4, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Nobody here eats your garbage candy, sorry.

surely you must enjoy at least some of these universally beloved treats

Not a fan of Superior White Quiggin’s Kendal Mint Cake? I’m pretty sure Victory bars were a favorite of George Orwell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I like toffee :)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

twoday posted:

Well, gummies were invented in Germany, so they had a head start. As for why they invented them, perhaps having the most advanced chemical knowledge/tradition helped? Which was born out of Germany, as a second generation industrial power, needing to find its own niche in its competition against the first generation industrial power, Britain. Britain of course already having started its decline at this point, never innovating past the stuff that got it its initial advantage.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twoday posted:

Not a fan of Superior White Quiggin’s Kendal Mint Cake? I’m pretty sure Victory bars were a favorite of George Orwell

:aaaaa:

twoday
May 4, 2005

quote:

Victory V is a British brand of liquorice-flavoured lozenges.[1] Originally manufactured in Nelson, Lancashire, they were devised by Thomas Fryer and Edward Smith MD in 1864[1] and were initially made by hand to ensure that each sweet contained the correct amount of therapeutic ingredients; ether, liquorice and chloroform.

pretty cool that they still make these

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

twoday posted:

lol hell yeah

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

twoday posted:

saving a stack of 99 of these until I face the final boss and still refusing to use any of them "because I might need them later"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twoday posted:

hot drat

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

twoday posted:

rohypnol candy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

twoday posted:

between these and the fact that shaking babies was commonplace until only recently, absolutely everyone throughout history must have been off their tits 24/7

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

rohypnol candy

GHBitties

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jel Shaker posted:

between these and the fact that shaking babies was commonplace until only recently, absolutely everyone throughout history must have been off their tits 24/7

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

bring it back

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/JackDunc1/status/1361430171413344257?s=20

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best

excuse me

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

they're similar in texture to circus peanuts but in strawberry and banana flavour

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Honj Steak posted:

My local Aldi sells some "british wine gums", but they might as well be produced in Germany.

fake edit: yup, produced in Germany. lol https://www.offerscheck.de/aldi-sued/taste-of-british-isles-wine-gums-34w6

"British wine gums" sold here are universally horrible independent of where they come from, since they are made from starch instead of gelatin and stick to your teeth like white dog poo poo to a shoe.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Tablet is really good.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kecske posted:

they're similar in texture to circus peanuts but in strawberry and banana flavour

Wait circus peanuts are sweets? I assumed they were just a yank brand of peanuts.

Continuity NIP posted:

Tablet is really good.

:yeah:

twoday
May 4, 2005

I'm actually kind of curious about the barley sugar Simpkins, the fruit ones are pretty good

what the hell is bittermint

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

marktheando posted:

Wait circus peanuts are sweets? I assumed they were just a yank brand of peanuts.

lol yeah they're really big compared to a peanut. texture is halfway between marshmallow and pleather

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
circus peanuts are vile, but i don't think anyone actually eats them. there are a few us ancient legacy candies like that, which somehow linger to this day despite no one liking them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I bought a Creme Egg once, it was disgusting, thank you for reading my story

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

circus peanuts are vile, but i don't think anyone actually eats them. there are a few us ancient legacy candies like that, which somehow linger to this day despite no one liking them.

US legacy candy has some gems

these and cherry sours are the best old-timey candies

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been meaning to get a tin of barley sugar because British whisky people are always using it in their tasting notes and I have no real idea what they mean.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I used to have a great aunt who would fill big bags with sweets for the kids. Half the stuff we couldn't even stand, but the only thing that could get her to change the composition slightly was a company going out of business. I can only assume that's where stuff like this goes.

twoday
May 4, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I've been meaning to get a tin of barley sugar because British whisky people are always using it in their tasting notes and I have no real idea what they mean.

if you do mail me a few, I am also curious

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

[UK] Fruity & Foamy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

"British wine gums" sold here are universally horrible independent of where they come from, since they are made from starch instead of gelatin and stick to your teeth like white dog poo poo to a shoe.

ah that’s probably why sugar free sweets also do that

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
polo fruits were incredible, probably my favourite sweet apart from cherry drops. could never make my mind up about citrus polos though, very mood based polo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

i say swears online posted:

lol yeah they're really big compared to a peanut. texture is halfway between marshmallow and pleather

Oh, right. We call those flumps.