Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

You're forgetting the Psyco Gundams

Good point. Their faces both align to one in each camp though, with the Psyco Gundam having an RX-78-2 style face while the Psyco Gundam Mk 2 is similar to the Zeta. So it kind of comes to the same thing in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

I still like 8th MS Team but I'm also fairly certain I'd probably skip some of its later episodes and get right to the finale cause Shiro tearfully refusing to take out an enemy, to the astonishment of literally everyone involved in the fiasco, just doesn't sound like good viewing to me.

I can endure the Romeo/Juliet stuff, but Shiro's pacifist turn is loud and obnoxious material.

His pacifist turn lasts about an episode and a half and ends on a really appropriate note where trying to use non lethal force ends up getting the entire Guerilla village massacred and he had to kill the last Zaku pilot in self defense. After that he got the Ez8 and he was back to killing enemies and losing his goddamn mind over wanting some Zeon rear end that he abandoned his friends.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think some of the things you're discussing are exclusive to western fandom.

"Someone without powers who beats guys with powers" shows up in Gundam proper as early as Zeta, where that's one of Yazan's big gimmicks, and in a modern Gundam manga, it's a plot point in Johnny Ridden. Going broader, it's a simple way to make an ace pilot distinct from the others. This is the hero, this is the mentor, this is the "normal" guy who manages to keep up anyway.

In a broader sense, it combines some classic archetypes, getting you the blind kung fu master style from having someone fight and win in spite of a handicap, and the viewer surrogate by having someone Like You (in not being superhuman, at least) get to be cool.

I agree that being less about "understanding" definitely was a factor in the early US preference for the OVAs, but they were also short and available, with great visuals. The original Gundam had a major entry barrier, while 08th was 13 episodes right there on Toonami. (Also, you know, they were right next to Wing in the Japanese poll, so it's not like Americans are the only fans.)

As for Wing, well, if we're talking cycles, Wing's the series that goes around the most, to the point where it's hard to tell at a given moment if it's popular, ironically popular, unpopular, or just kind of part of the background. Unlike X or ZZ, it's never been the Gundam nobody's seen, so the first person to comment gets to write the narrative. Instead, it's a show a lot of people watched when they were young, getting it the bonuses of nostalgia and the curse of people going back to get bitter over how badly what they remembered matched with the reality.

I think you can't undersell the effect nostalgia and its cousins have on Wing and 08th (and to a lesser extent the other properties dubbed by the Ocean team). Most western fans will have been exposed to Gundam for the first time with either of the two, and so their formative memories probably come from there. I know if I bring up Gundam to a random person, their first thought is usually Wing.

I know one of the reasons I still go back to OG Seed is nostalgia. It was the first box set of anime I ever had. Even now my opinion of it is pretty much "3.6 Gundams per hour. Not great, not terrible." And I'll even hold out on Destiny up to the point Athrun defects, since that's really the point he and Shinn stop being the point-of-view characters and their mentor-pupil dynamic ends.

I might go as far to say that Wing poisoned the well a bit on Gundam, since even now it remains one of the least formulaic of the Gundams. Similarities to the UC basically end at "Zechs is a Char Clone." 08th, by virtue of being an OVA side story to the UC, also doesn't really follow the same beats and the "war is hell" theme is something well worn in western Vietnam media. G Gundam is... G Gundam.

I wonder a bit if The Origin gets animated as a 0079 remake, whether that will alter western perception of the series as a whole? I can't help but think 0079's dated animation is one of the biggest barriers to entry for grandpa Gundam. Zeta, for being the second entry in the franchise, really looks more like what the Toonami crowd expects anime to look like.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just reminded me that Sunrise has been sitting on that teaser for almost six years now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32reoeJtos

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Just reminded me that Sunrise has been sitting on that teaser for almost six years now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32reoeJtos

A legit modern remake of 0079 grabbing plot from both OG First Gundam and The Origin is basically my ultimate Gundam wishlist item. I'd dutifully throw money at a full retread of 0079-Zeta-ZZ-CCA with modern animation and dubbing that basically takes all the lessons of the last 40 years and applies them to polish the main continuity to a showroom finish.

Maybe for the 50th anniversary? :v:

fake edit: Hell, Bamco can even sell more plastic crack this way without needing to retool their factories completely! They already have the runners for all those old UC models. My plan is just what they need to gas that old stock!

Pay me you fucks, I'll take your franchise to the moon beyond the time!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Similarities to the UC basically end at "Zechs is a Char Clone."

I’d argue that Zechs is one of if not the single most faithful Char clone, given that he goes through all of Char’s 0079/Zeta/CCA development in Wing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
McGillis is the most accurate Char clone, since he's a colossal loving idiot.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there is a definite whiplash to them just going oh gently caress and making Zechs into Every Char after the series was more or less doing its own thing

just one of many reasons the second half of Wing brings the series down

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got into Gundam in 2014 on this here very forum (unless you count watching G Gundam back in high school in 2006 but that was all I saw for a long time) and I love Wing. I watched UC Gundam first and Zeta is my other favorite Gundam series but I think it and Wing both do their own thing very well.

I think the comment on the fandom's rotating opinion on it is spot-on. When I was first posting my progress on here, I got the impression a lot of folks hated Wing. That seems to have softened over the years to the point I get the feeling most people in this thread like Wing, ironically or unironically.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IIRC that Origin teaser was connected to the Master Grade Origin RX79 release. I think Sunrise and Bamco are waiting to see how well the Hollywood production sells before they try to promote 0079 to the English world again.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

I’d argue that Zechs is one of if not the single most faithful Char clone, given that he goes through all of Char’s 0079/Zeta/CCA development in Wing.

Zechs is like the SRW version of Char where you do the right stuff and he gets a happy ending instead of riding the rainbow after his plan to destroy the Earth fails. Zechs is also nowhere near as sociopathic as Char either from what I remember.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like everyone in wing, zechs was completely loving nuts. it's just that he was still more sane than char.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Zechs is just a sad lonely man. Char is a sad lonely sociopath and that seems to be the key difference to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

like everyone in wing, zechs was completely loving nuts. it's just that he was still more sane than char.

The bar was so rock-bottom that it was below the Earth, but congratulations on clearing it nonetheless, Milliardo Peacecraft Zechs Marquise Preventer Wind.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah 08th was the golden boy in ADTRW for a long time and ZZ and Wing were whipping boys for a while. Both have had a pretty significant rehabilitation. ZZ especially since I feel like a lot of the hate was based on second hand and historical impressions rather than first hand. The first stretch of ZZ is rough but it's as much gundam as any of the OVAs that come after it.

once you get to episode 16-18 of ZZ it improves immensely

especially if you are like me and start it immediately after finishing zeta and the tonal whiplash of the finale of zeta and what they did to my poor sweet boy kamille to uh junkyard kid comedy was a big what the heck moment

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 19, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thinkin about that g gundam a lot since i finished it

is it the best show ever made?

yes/yes?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Ibblebibble posted:

When I do get around to G-Reco, do people advise the series or the movies (which I understand are still being made?)?

I watched and enjoyed g-reco as it came out though it had its faults and can say unequivocally that you should never watch the series, the movies so far are better in every way.

Ramadu posted:

yes/yes?

No, giant robo is better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Agreed. Giant Robo is superior and it is goddamn gorgeous. Giant Gundam is a very fun show and Imagawa knows how to stretch a budget but it's still on a budget.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like everything about g gundam except domon himself. he's kind of a weiner.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

i like everything about g gundam except domon himself. he's kind of a weiner.

Nah hes resolved his poo poo and gotten past being angry karate man after the first half.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Artum posted:

Nah hes resolved his poo poo and gotten past being angry karate man after the first half.

except he kept doing it repeatedly during the second half. i can see why, since otherwise he'd have steamrolled his opponents, but it was still pretty dumb how he forgot his grand epiphany in like a day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

except he kept doing it repeatedly during the second half. i can see why, since otherwise he'd have steamrolled his opponents, but it was still pretty dumb how he forgot his grand epiphany in like a day.

I never understand this complaint. Backsliding when you're bored, frustrated, cocky etc and falling back into bad habits that you then have to work to overcome is like how epiphanies work. Storytellingwise it also helps keep tension between what the person should be doing and the easier path of acting like a dickhead.

For any kind of long form storytelling you need that tension or things become boring

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ramadu posted:

once you get to episode 16-18 of ZZ it improves immensely

especially if you are like me and start it immediately after finishing zeta and the tonal whiplash of the finale of zeta and what they did to my poor sweet boy kamille to uh junkyard kid comedy was a big what the heck moment

Ramadu posted:

yes/yes?

Consistently good opinions out of this one. Word for word how I describe my relationship with ZZ. The first episode with the late 80s 3D, Anime Ja Nai, and then the subsequent junkyard comedy caught me out of nowhere. A bit of time to catch our breath before introducing Judeau and the Gang for wacky hijinks would have done quite a bit to soften the blow, I think.

NikkolasKing posted:

When I was first posting my progress on here, I got the impression a lot of folks hated Wing. That seems to have softened over the years to the point I get the feeling most people in this thread like Wing, ironically or unironically.

I think the goonmind has developed an appreciation for media that runs on moon-logic over the years and can see the value in it now. It's like growing out of your teenage edgelord years when you tried to distance yourself from everything you thought was uncool, before looking back as an adult and wondering what kind of brainworms you had.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Judau alone was enough to get me to commit to ZZ. Had a solid head screwed on his shoulders, and had plenty of older Amuro-esque moments where he is completely bewildered with the bonkers dumbasses he has to take down throughout the series.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's still funny to me that Judau is the youngest Gundam protaganist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Uso

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kio from gundam age was 13

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Huh, I always thought Judau was 13 but apparently he's 14.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Kio from gundam age was 13

You can't blame someone for forgetting age, god knows I wish I could

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

You can't blame someone for forgetting age, god knows I wish I could

I had to google his name again so yeah I barely remembered him.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Uso definitely comes across as a kid to me for most of the series but then Victory goes in some very, very weird places with that. Like that whole thing with Lupe going on and on about how she only likes young boys and comparing him to Pippininden.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Victory goes to some weird places about (x)" basically sums it up as a series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shinjobi posted:

Judau alone was enough to get me to commit to ZZ. Had a solid head screwed on his shoulders, and had plenty of older Amuro-esque moments where he is completely bewildered with the bonkers dumbasses he has to take down throughout the series.

I appreciate how ZZ immediately back countered some of Zeta's disgusting poo poo. Like walking back the glorification of Wong beating the poo poo out of Kamille and in general the violence of adults.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never seen Wong's beating as being any sort of glorification at all. My read is that it's showing that the status quo has changed from MSG, the AEUG is not the massive monolith that the federation is and cannot afford to be choosy on whose support they're getting. Even if that means they need an objectively bad person like Wong for his money and influence, in order to accomplish the greater good of defeating the Titans.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm finally getting back into Gundam for the first time in two decades by jumping into Iron Blooded Orphans and so far it's everything I want out of an anime series

G Gundam still best Gundam series

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
First time in two decades? thats like literally a full dozen seasons of shows lmao

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never seen Wong's beating as being any sort of glorification at all. My read is that it's showing that the status quo has changed from MSG, the AEUG is not the massive monolith that the federation is and cannot afford to be choosy on whose support they're getting. Even if that means they need an objectively bad person like Wong for his money and influence, in order to accomplish the greater good of defeating the Titans.

They directly tell Kamille that Wong was totally correct and that Kamille deserved it, they then mock him for getting beaten up and talk about how his corrections worked to make him better later in the same block of episodes.

So no, they don't go "We have to team with this bad person" they go "Kamille, you deserved to get your poo poo beaten in by an adult, and him doing so was the objectively correct way of making you better."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The people that tell Kamille it was good and fitting that he was abused are the most gullible space Nazi and Char. I don't think we're supposed to trust their judgement or find them to be moral exemplars.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

The people that tell Kamille it was good and fitting that he was abused are the most gullible space Nazi and Char. I don't think we're supposed to trust their judgement or find them to be moral exemplars.

Emma is a space nazi? Like Apolly and Roberto sure, they're ex-zeon. Char, yeah he's Char. But they aren't the only ones and no one in the story acts like what Wong does is bad, no one says that it's a pain to work for him. Wong is not portrayed in a negative light at all. You can say that "Oh it's condemning that" except no one does, it's never shown to be incorrect, and everyone pins Kamille's improvement on it.

I literally just watched these episodes again last week going through with friends. They do nothing to show Wong as being in the wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's not what happens, The previous episode Kamille is lured off and nearly killed by Jerid, Quattro then chides him for being undisciplined. Quattro then heads to a room with a portrait of him and Sayla, he turns it down as he's still unwilling to use the political power his name gives him preferring to be seen as just a pilot. We then see Quattro meeting with Wong, He's directly introduced as being a large donor to AEUG, and Quattro jokes that he wants to get into politics, you can see the subtext that Quattro would prefer Wong takes the political reins instead of himself. And then when Wong brings up that quattro dislikes the idea of the Jaburo drop, Wong tells him to do it anyway. Because Quattro isn't willing to use his own political power he's just as at the mercy of Wong as Kamille is, agreeing to a plan he thinks is at best ill advised and at worst suicidal. Next episode Kamille dicks around with Haro ignoring the call for all pilots to attend a meeting with Wong. Emma has to come and get him and rebukes him with a slap when he tries to play that he's not military despite being a pilot for a guerilla force. As the scene cuts to Wong, it shows them driving along side the Radish, a ship that was created from donations likely driven by Wong's influence. Once they get there Wong asks Heineken who that is showing up late and he explains Kamille is a pilot. When Wong attacks Kamille, Quattro physically stops Emma and Heinken from intervening. Kamille tries to use looking for white base data on Haro as an excuse, Wong asks why he thinks he's in intelligence and what relevance that has to the conflict at hand.

When Kamille wakes up He think's getting beat up is unfair. Quattro tells him that he was too easy on Kamille when he was on the Argama. When Kamille points out that Wong isn't a soldier, Quattro says that he's an investor in the AEUG and an important person, When Kamille asks why he had the right to beat him up, Quattro importantly doesn't answer, Wong of course shouldn't have beat Kamille, but Kamille also shouldn't have tried to skip the meeting nor should he have gone off on his own almost dying in the process. A combination of Wong's power over Quattro and Quattro himself believing that if Kamille didn't learn to follow orders he'd get killed is why he stopped Heineken and Emma from intervening.

So he doesn't answer Kamille and instead orders him to get ready, He sulks instead until Emma slaps him and explains That Kamille has been arrogant in his feeling that he's the only one helping out the Argama, and that his overconfidence was gonna get him killed. And says that Wong is working hard towards the AEUG goals, and that he doesn't want to see a promising pilot like Kamille killed because he can't follow orders and instead fucks around with toys.

https://imgur.com/a/T5LVAtn

There's a Ton going on in these scenes.
The parallels between Kamille and Quattro both trying to avoid their Roles

Quattro's inability to guide or explain to Kamille why what he's doing is wrong, eventually leaving it up to Emma, leaving him to once again escape taking responsiblity.

The emphasis on just how hard it is to get equipment and support for the Aeug, With them having to take donations for ships, and meet in Mcdaniels backrooms. While the titans can Mosey in and just take federation supplies.