Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

Matt's got a pretty good Waterboy impression.

Yeah I wasn't sure if that was intentional or if it was just his only frame of reference for a Cajun accent. Surely he knows what James Carville sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

General Dog posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure if that was intentional or if it was just his only frame of reference for a Cajun accent. Surely he knows what James Carville sounds like.

I thought he was going for more of a Justin Wilson thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh good someone brought up neal boortz, my favorite libertarian

he was a coward who knew his audience since (in my market) he followed rush. he was doctrinaire but would only allow the discussion of right-leaning libertarian topics. if you brought up the fact he was extremely pro-abortion he'd cut your call. i went to his fairtax book signing in my area in maybe 2006 lol

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
my dumb, middle school-aged suburban Atlanta rear end thought Boortz was hilarious. Grew out of that, thankfully.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My parents listened to music instead of the radio

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
A few years after high school I drove for a living and listened to Leykis a lot, Felix and Bryan from Street Fight did a great episode for their Shocktober series.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

A few years after high school I drove for a living and listened to Leykis a lot, Felix and Bryan from Street Fight did a great episode for their Shocktober series.

the only guy they did a shocktober on that i was really into was Jim Rome and i feel he's the most embarrassing one to be a fan of

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the boys making GBS threads on cigars on this ep...... fidel and che disapprove

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Matt actually responding to the people who stopped listening because they became too much of a bummer by saying that pain is necessary for change and the surrounding bit about how we have to transcend our individual struggles in order to regain control of our politics and force them to work for us made more sense than anything else he’s said for the last 9 months and if his VODs had been more like that I could have kept watching them. Extremely cool stuff, IMO

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

General Dog posted:

They did a whole episode on Coach O, friend

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Nowhere near enough Amber on the recent episodes

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos
*rushes into the thread like Mouse into the mess hall of the Nebachadnezzar in The Matrix*

MANCHIN'S TANKIN' NEERA!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Clibanarius posted:

*rushes into the thread like Mouse into the mess hall of the Nebachadnezzar in The Matrix*

Manchin said that Tanden’s “overtly partisan statements will have a toxic and detrimental impact on the important working relationship between members of Congress and the next director” of OMB.

It's like this dumb-rear end motherfucker has never seen Veep or The Thick Of It.

Also, I am so incredibly sick of "partisan". gently caress anyone who says it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

prefect posted:

It's some kind of spear right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a dumb question but I'm thinking out loud: do you think that they get paid per episode/appearance or do you think the owners just divy the money up evenly every month and then a separate business account handles the guest fees? Is Chris part owner as well? or is it just the Will/Matt/Felix/Amber/Virgil?

Basically i'm wondering if Virgil has been getting paid the entire time since he stopped appearing with any regularity because he was a part owner of the Chapo LLC or what. My understanding was that Amber was still making her full salary while campaigning for Bernie, even when she missed several episodes in a row. I hope he is still making money, because Chapo kind of subsidizing his show with Brie seems like it would be a good thing, right? Recruiting for the normie to chapo pipeline?

I know Cum Town is like Nick Mullen making like 40-50% of the Patreon take and he pays Stav and Adam the rest because they have no staff, and they've said many times they are just copying the Chapo business model, so it makes me wonder if Will is like the majority shareholder and he owns like 20% of the company or something... or maybe they figured out some commie pinko way to do it. Obviously they are all doing well, it just would be neat to know a little more about how they handle such a ridiculous influx of cash every month for such insanely minimized overhead and labor.

Will also seems too soft to be a capitalist and i could easily see Matt and Amber having to talk him out of "we just all put the money in a big pile and you just, like, take what you want" for something more concrete.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thotsky posted:

It's some kind of spear right?

It's these soldiers that pop up in Civilization 2 to fight you after you conquer a city in the modern age.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bust Rodd posted:

I have a dumb question but I'm thinking out loud: do you think that they get paid per episode/appearance or do you think the owners just divy the money up evenly every month and then a separate business account handles the guest fees? Is Chris part owner as well? or is it just the Will/Matt/Felix/Amber/Virgil?

Basically i'm wondering if Virgil has been getting paid the entire time since he stopped appearing with any regularity because he was a part owner of the Chapo LLC or what. My understanding was that Amber was still making her full salary while campaigning for Bernie, even when she missed several episodes in a row. I hope he is still making money, because Chapo kind of subsidizing his show with Brie seems like it would be a good thing, right? Recruiting for the normie to chapo pipeline?

I know Cum Town is like Nick Mullen making like 40-50% of the Patreon take and he pays Stav and Adam the rest because they have no staff, and they've said many times they are just copying the Chapo business model, so it makes me wonder if Will is like the majority shareholder and he owns like 20% of the company or something... or maybe they figured out some commie pinko way to do it. Obviously they are all doing well, it just would be neat to know a little more about how they handle such a ridiculous influx of cash every month for such insanely minimized overhead and labor.

Will also seems too soft to be a capitalist and i could easily see Matt and Amber having to talk him out of "we just all put the money in a big pile and you just, like, take what you want" for something more concrete.

You should ask them. I'm pretty sure this is Virgils favorite question.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Matt actually responding to the people who stopped listening because they became too much of a bummer by saying that pain is necessary for change and the surrounding bit about how we have to transcend our individual struggles in order to regain control of our politics and force them to work for us made more sense than anything else he’s said for the last 9 months and if his VODs had been more like that I could have kept watching them. Extremely cool stuff, IMO

seemed v in line with the new adam curtis, i was wondering if he’d watched it and been thinking about it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

As far as I know they get equal cuts which is funny considering Amber is lazier than Felix (when it comes to the pod) and Virgil's got his own thing going on and shut them out for awhile. Nick getting half is because he's one of the three and he does all the production work.

I enjoyed Matt's anger over the Dinesh/Shapino/etc defense of Cruz because I had the same reaction. It was driving me nuts that the idea of just having solidarity with the people you are supposed to serve doesn't enter their minds at all. The state being fake talk was funny as I was driving home and crossed over into the wealthy town I live in (in a blue state) and it was clear there'd be no plowing all day so it was a nightmare driving home when it should've been smooth sailing.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 20, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

prefect posted:

I too never want to hear about the Spanish Civil War again

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Groovelord Neato posted:

As far as I know they get equal cuts which is funny considering Amber is lazier than Felix (when it comes to the pod) and Virgil's got his own thing going on and shut them out for awhile. Nick getting half is because he's one of the three and he does all the production work.

I'm just guessing but I suspect a lot of the dough goes to worthy causes and they don't hang on to much. Amber's live stream had her talking about "yeah my apartment kinda sucks but it's okay", Matt seems to inhabit pretty modest digs... not exactly lifestyles of the rich and famous. (This might just be me fantasizing. I know NYC prices are ludicrous for any living space at all).

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I would assume Virgil did not earn an equal share when he vanished for several months but I have no idea

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
They fined Virgil for all that time he wasn’t communicating with them. In fact, he owes them hundreds of thousands of dollars!

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

It’s low key pretty gross how Matt never acknowledged how unempathetic and downright thoughtless he was towards Virgil on one of his cushvlogs when someone asked where he had disappeared to

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cosmik Slop posted:

I'm just guessing but I suspect a lot of the dough goes to worthy causes and they don't hang on to much. Amber's live stream had her talking about "yeah my apartment kinda sucks but it's okay", Matt seems to inhabit pretty modest digs... not exactly lifestyles of the rich and famous. (This might just be me fantasizing. I know NYC prices are ludicrous for any living space at all).

I have thought of that - my place looks better than Matt's and I live in an equal COL area to NYC and make like 1/4 what an equal cut of the Patreon would be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wizard Master posted:

It’s low key pretty gross how Matt never acknowledged how unempathetic and downright thoughtless he was towards Virgil on one of his cushvlogs when someone asked where he had disappeared to
I remember there was a whole thing about a year ago (around the time Bernie dropped out) when Virgil sent them something to play on the air, and they never did, but apparently it really pissed them off? So there was some kind of behind-the-scenes stuff that I don't think has come out and that is probably the reason for what you're talking about.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Clibanarius posted:

lol

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Cosmik Slop posted:

I'm just guessing but I suspect a lot of the dough goes to worthy causes and they don't hang on to much.

Yeah, I can't recall where I heard it (to the point I might have just always been gaslighting myself) but I believe they do genuinely give a lot to charities/organizing groups before actually splitting the "profit" up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clibanarius posted:

lmao i had to rewatch the dojo scene and after twenty years it's still cool as hell

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
all this 90s american street gang footage on this final part of the Adam Curtis doc, its just a matter of time before he ends up accidently showing footage of freaknik or something:v:.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
also Robert Sandifer was the perfect willie horton-type figure to pass absolutely horrifying poo poo like the 90's Crime Bill, creating more and more poverty and more and more Robert Sandifers.

it says something more people showed up for the funeral of an 11-year-old child with an extremely hosed up, short life than were actually available in said child's life. It's extremely fitting all this poo poo was happening smack dab in the middle of the End Of History

I really wish we had a PoliDoc thread or something

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 20, 2021

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the boys making GBS threads on cigars on this ep...... fidel and che disapprove

Cigars are kinda like guns in that they’re fun by itself but the fetishization and the dudebro cultures around them are absolutely terrible. What else can I add here. Lacrosse? Golf?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Punished Abu Zubaydah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cigars have been a laughable signifier for awhile.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Cigars have been a laughable signifier for awhile.
That's the key right there, effectively what Proust Malone said above. I like cigars, I have one every now and then and who gives a poo poo. But if you smoke them often enough for that to be a character trait people would remember when talking about you, you deserve all the ridicule you get.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cael posted:

That's the key right there, effectively what Proust Malone said above. I like cigars, I have one every now and then and who gives a poo poo. But if you smoke them often enough for that to be a character trait people would remember when talking about you, you deserve all the ridicule you get.

it feels like the only people under 70 who smoke cigars are a very specific type, like don jr or people that wear non-cargo khaki shorts eight months a year with braided leather belts

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember there was a whole thing about a year ago (around the time Bernie dropped out) when Virgil sent them something to play on the air, and they never did, but apparently it really pissed them off? So there was some kind of behind-the-scenes stuff that I don't think has come out and that is probably the reason for what you're talking about.

Wizard Master just drops in from time to time, stirs the pot a little and moves on. Don't worry about it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chakan posted:

Wizard Master just drops in from time to time, stirs the pot a little and moves on. Don't worry about it.

last year virgil read some arfjason posts and he really questioned being on the slurs podcast

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

i say swears online posted:

it feels like the only people under 70 who smoke cigars are a very specific type, like don jr or people that wear non-cargo khaki shorts eight months a year with braided leather belts

honestly there's a pretty big cigar / pipe tobacco and hot couch crossover

smoke some weed, drink some cheap beer, smoke a pack of loving backwoods, watch rush hour with your boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a liiiiitle different lol