Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It looks good, but I really don't get the whole remaster thing. I just want new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Starcraft remaster was considered extremely successful and they're taking a similar approach with this one.

I get it, the formula is dated. I, personally, can't really enjoy Diablo 2 anymore without a gameplay mod like Eastern Sun. But they're making the right call for the majority of the audience by keeping the gameplay the same.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In its default state, Diablo 2 is a terrible game. Without duping, there is no reason to play it. There are very few viable builds, and only 3 that could be considered fun. Without duping, to make the game fun a lot of drop rates would need to be increased by like 5-6 orders of magnitude, some even more than that. The combination of them presumably fixing the things that make duping possible (especially on console) and not updating the UI or fixing the 80% of skills that are worthless/undoing the awful synergies is going to result in a game that a lot of people buy, but very few enjoy for more than maybe 10 hours.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

K8.0 posted:

a game that a lot of people buy, but very few enjoy for more than maybe 10 hours.

Even better--that way they'll be ready to buy something else soon!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

K8.0 posted:

In its default state, Diablo 2 is a terrible game. Without duping, there is no reason to play it. There are very few viable builds, and only 3 that could be considered fun. Without duping, to make the game fun a lot of drop rates would need to be increased by like 5-6 orders of magnitude, some even more than that. The combination of them presumably fixing the things that make duping possible (especially on console) and not updating the UI or fixing the 80% of skills that are worthless/undoing the awful synergies is going to result in a game that a lot of people buy, but very few enjoy for more than maybe 10 hours.

This. It can't be overstated just how atrociously bad the drop rates in vanilla Diablo 2 are. They make launch Diablo 3 look generous.

And knowing Blizzard, you can say goodbye to the offline mode too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Diablo 2 gives me a headache after about an hour these days because it's just hard to loving look at on a modern setup.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I mean, I agree about the drop rates of Diablo 2 being bad but I also find it hard to argue with a remaster that is pretty much the same game but with better graphics, updated UI elements, and bug fixes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Blizzard also just announced Burning Crusade classic so I guess they're just in that space where they can profit off of their old poo poo forever?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I welcome the remake so I can play Diablo 2...on the Switch Lite. I'm running out of arpgs on it and it owns playing them on a handheld.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Didn't expect there to be so many negative opinions about a genre defining classic, but video games nerds gonna nerd I suppose. There's lots of stuff that'll need to be touched up, rebalanced, etc, but the core of the game is still great.

Edit: The biggest changes I'd make: multiplayer loot needs to be instanced, the stamina system is pointless, and the monster immunity system on hell difficulty sucks for too many builds.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 20, 2021

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
I thought the Diablo 2 remake was called Path Of Exile?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they mention about it being mod friendly?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ripper Swarm posted:

I thought the Diablo 2 remake was called Path Of Exile?

POE's way better than Diablo 2 with better graphics.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The thing about genre-defining classics is that doing something first isn't necessarily the same as doing it best, so a lot of things that didn't seem so bad at the time become something that is seen a lot more critically when you re-examine those classics with the benefit of hindsight and knowing how the genre has developed and improved on the formula since.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the only thing about diablo 2 that holds up today is the moosic

(e) even that might be mere nostalgia

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

DatonKallandor posted:

This. It can't be overstated just how atrociously bad the drop rates in vanilla Diablo 2 are. They make launch Diablo 3 look generous.

And knowing Blizzard, you can say goodbye to the offline mode too.

I like D2 because the drop rates are awful and everything is slow! Those types of looter RPGs no longer exist. I didn't like D3 because I wanted to play it on a really high difficulty so I didn't just mindlessly click through everything all the time but wanted like 1/10th the items and XP for doing so.

Titan Quest eventually did it better imo, but not much else ever has.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they just confirmed that all the spawn rates, drop rates, etc will be the same

e: they also just mentioned offline characters so i guess that mode is still in

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

the only thing about diablo 2 that holds up today is the moosic

(e) even that might be mere nostalgia
No, the music is in fact still awesome.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ultimately there will probably be a lot of reasons not to buy this game, but here's another good one.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1362919930698596360?s=20

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

they just confirmed that all the spawn rates, drop rates, etc will be the same

e: they also just mentioned offline characters so i guess that mode is still in

God forbid they devalue the SOJ exchange rate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anno posted:

Ultimately there will probably be a lot of reasons not to buy this game, but here's another good one.

As much as I'd love a realise 3D magic academy game uhhh

yeah not worth it even with the Rowling baggage alone nevermind this

Someone give Georgina Bensley a huge budget please

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Critsandchips/status/1362522830617903111

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/18200/Guilty_Gear_Franchise/

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

biadlo 2 whipped rear end you weirdos

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ponzicar posted:

Didn't expect there to be so many negative opinions about a genre defining classic, but video games nerds gonna nerd I suppose. There's lots of stuff that'll need to be touched up, rebalanced, etc, but the core of the game is still great.

I was surprised to feel uninterested, but after giving it some thought, I would feel the same way about a prettier Snake Eater or Final Fantasy 6. The D2 remaster is only a HD version of a game I loved and put behind me. It isn't enough to make me want to replay it. I guess I want a game like D2, but not literally D2.

There's just no pleasing some of us, eh?

To use the other games I mentioned as examples, Snake Eater had a bunch of its cutscenes remastered for pachinko using the MGSV engine. I haven't even sought those cutscenes out, but I'd be all over the Snake Eater if it was re-released in the MGSV engine with new gameplay. Similarly, you couldn't keep me away if Final Fantasy 6 got the FF7 treatment.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’m hoping the D2 remaster can be modded. It would be fun to play around with builds that I never got to try because the low drop rates and grinding bosses got boring quick.

Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are better though and there’s a couple arpgs in early access now that might turn out well in a year or so.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

biadlo 2 whipped rear end you weirdos

It genuinely did! 20 years ago.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Path of Exile and Grim Dawn are better though and there’s a couple arpgs in early access now that might turn out well in a year or so.
Last Epoch is looking promising so far.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Zereth posted:

Last Epoch is looking promising so far.

I was literally just looking at that. Anyone here play the EA?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

People are loving morons and they shouldn't listen to them. If they want to play Diablo 2, it's *right there*. Listening to people is what got them to make Starcraft 2 the way they did and that trainwreck set an entire genre back a decade.

If they want to play Warcraft 3, it's *right there*

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anno posted:

This guy's (Troy Leavitt's) twitter feed has a decent amount of bad takes on things. Ticks a lot of the typical boxes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

If they want to play Warcraft 3, it's *right there*

To be fair they did confirm they will not be nuking OG D2 this time. How generous of them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Orv posted:

To be fair they did confirm they will not be nuking OG D2 this time. How generous of them.

I think I read that Blizzard said that they understand it was a bad decision to kill the original Warcraft 3.
So why the hell aren't they fixing that bad decision and making the old version available again??

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I enjoyed Diablo 2 but there was a lot about it that surely didn't age well. I'd get frustrated about drop rates and grinding new builds when I was young and (seemingly) had all the free time in the world. There is no way that poo poo would fly with me now that I'm an old fart. I've done the video game nostalgia thing enough times to know that I can't go back. Still, I know some people are into that (just look at the success of WoW classic) so I'm happy for them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The thing to remember about everyone complaining about how terrible Diablo 2 is is that they all spent hundreds of hours playing and enjoying it and their complaints about balance and such are the type of thing that only happen when you try to make it into your Forever Game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never played it because Diablo 1 sucked!! It makes my index finger tired

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anno posted:

I was literally just looking at that. Anyone here play the EA?
Yeah, it's pretty good, although I didn't go that far in it. Maybe it breaks down at higher levels like Wolcen does though :shrug: I'm waiting for all the acts to be in at least before I get back to it.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

The Kins posted:

iOS games... Which sounds great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm willing to admit that maybe I've just ultimately moved past enjoying ARPGs, but I feel like almost every time I have a problem with one's design it inevitably circles back around to "well that's how Diablo 2 did it".

I actually forked over the :10bux: for the D2 expansion (since all I had were old rear end original discs for the base game) not all that long ago and I was into the game up to a point and then fell off hard. I don't need to play it for a 1000 hours to be able to tell the gameplay loop hasn't aged particularly well.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 20, 2021

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this. Like not keeping those sort of metrics is really interesting.

You’d think they’d want to know that stuff.

It’s not that they don’t keep them, it’s that they don’t want to give them to Apple . It would be trivial for someone to put together a report like this (in reality), but the legal argument is that 1) it is unduly burdensome; and 2) Apple doesn’t get to ask for internal corporate data for no reason.

Frankly, the request is bullshit and valve is 100% correct in its response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll definitely play D2 again, but unless they change the endgame I don't see myself playing for long.