Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

BrianWilly posted:

ok lol

(spoilers for yesterday's ep)

the song in the show sounded really familiar to me but I couldn’t place it, but hearing it covered like this made me remember... the intro is extremely similar to this song by the band Brave Combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juV0vQ_gnhI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Marsupial Ape posted:

I just caught up with the thread, so here are some of my thoughts:

I can't believe how nobody has mentioned Kat Dennings some how made a full body velvet circus costume more revealing than a swimsuit.

I was trying not to horny post but she looked deliciously thiccc in that outfit

My Face When posted:

Wasn't she the one that asked her husband, 'harold' if the earrings made her look fat?

And then the power goes out and he says "Oh thank god".

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jedit posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet but is worth speculating on:

Wanda's powers code to red and alter reality, while Vision's code to yellow and he can affect minds. Now we have Monica the astronaut with blue powers and Agnes with purple powers that manipulate other powers. Respectively they map perfectly to the Reality, Mind, Space and Power Stones. We also know Strange is coming, still with the powers related to the Time Stone. Which begs the question: where is the orange Soul Stone?

I just went back to look and the answer is the Evil Book in the Scary Basement. The energy mist emanating from the book is orange. Your observation about colors mapping to powers is very insightful.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Robot Hobo posted:

Well, considering what we know of Love & Thunder, I'm guessing it probably gave Jane Foster cancer.
I forget what else it did. That Doctor Who elf used it to get real big, and there were probably energy blasts involved. There usually are.

I had forgotten is the reality stone LOL (thanks to the goon who reminded me).
Yeah, aside from making Jane feel sick, it did "things" in Thor 2. In the Avengers, I guess it was what Thanos used to alter alter Drax and Mantis' bodies and turn Star Lord's gun blast in to bubbles. WHICH would make sense...:hmmyes:

Marsupial Ape posted:

Assuming that Evan Peters is playing Fox-verse Quicksilver, nobody has asked the most important question about that character: what cool pop song is going to play during the super-speed scene when he saves the town?.

Anything from David Bowie. :v:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

twistedmentat posted:

I don't like to horny post, either but goddam, Kat Dennings has a big ol' donk. She's a talented actor with great comedic timing, more importantly. That makes me not a chud, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I must be the only person in the world who can’t stand Dennings. I don’t think she’s funny at all and her line delivery is always real sitcom-y.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I must be the only person in the world who can’t stand Dennings. I don’t think she’s funny at all and her line delivery is always real sitcom-y.

Man, you're just a big mean jer...oh. Carry on.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She’s fine at what she does but that’s literally the only character she plays. Not everyone needs to aspire to be an Oscar winner though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Paul Bettany needs to do more comedy. I can't believe that Vision is the funniest character on the show.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All I can say after the current ep and ESPECIALLY the mid credits stinger is that I hope they didn't just stunt cast Evan Peters to misdirect, because that would be loving cruel, Disney.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Regarding people who wanted Wanda to be the ACTUAL villain, not not someone else like Agatha as this episode tells is or at least heavily implies, I can defiantly see a line by Agatha, delivered in the most Katherine Hahn way possible, where she says something to the effect of:

"Oh Honey, I may have poked the bear, but lets be absolutely clear here...you're still the bear, k?"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Codependent Poster posted:

Paul Bettany needs to do more comedy. I can't believe that Vision is the funniest character on the show.

Paul Bettany is such a strange category of actor. He's a leading man/action hero/jacked proper Englishman all at once. He's either stabbing vampires or doing historical drama.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have absolutely loved seeing Bettany’s comedy chops again after so long spent hidden since... god, A Knight’s Tale? When he suddenly questions what he’s doing being interviewed and gets up to leave is a great moment.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
vision is not unlike thor in that he was a very bland character until they started having the actor do comedic stuff. thor has turned into one of my favorites as has vision.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paul Bettany has excellent comic acting chops that were well used when he was Jarvis and then completely wasted when he became Vision until this point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Same energy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

I really liked the episode but it was probably my least favorite of the sitcom parodies. The pacing and joke delivery felt too slow to be a Modern Family or The Office, and they should've used more hand-held cameras for the fake documentary look.

Is it possible that "Ralph" is Hayward? And he recruited Agatha to help with his missing Vision problem?

Anything's possible but it seems extremely unlikely given what we've seen thus far. Haywood seemed as shocked as anyone that Vision and Wanda were stuck in some kind of weird sitcom. Beyond that, you've seen Agatha. Does she seriously seem like somebody Haywood would hire or work with considering how impatient he is with Darcy, Jimmy and Monica? Agatha and Haywood are apparently both "bad guys" but their agendas are very different. Haywood wants Vision so he can create a dumber, less well-controlled version of Tony Stark's Ultron plan. Agatha's goal either is or heavily involves Wanda herself. She has no interest in Vision except as an occasional tool or a potential obstacle.

Desperado Bones posted:

Anything from David Bowie. :v:

Perhaps this but alter it to I'm Afraid of Sokovians

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 21, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SirSamVimes posted:

Paul Bettany has excellent comic acting chops that were well used when he was Jarvis and then completely wasted when he became Vision until this point.

yeah i absolutely couldn't stand the vision/scarlet witch plot in Infinity War, I vastly prefer the Wandavision versions where the actors are allowed to do more interesting and comedic stuff and not just "we are in love and sad" all the gd time

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Adus posted:

vision is not unlike thor in that he was a very bland character until they started having the actor do comedic stuff. thor has turned into one of my favorites as has vision.

See also; the difference between Strange in his debut movie and Strange in Ragnarok, IW, and Endgame. The latter is far more memorable and interesting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I actually liked how they did things in the MCU. You got the impression that stuff was happening in-between movies. Stuff like Tony & Pepper, the friendship developing between all the Avengers, Vision & Wanda. It kind of felt like old Law & Order episodes where you'd get to kind of feel around the edges of the central characters' lives through throwaway lines, like Jack's alcoholism or Lenny's failing marriage, but they were never the center of any episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah i absolutely couldn't stand the vision/scarlet witch plot in Infinity War, I vastly prefer the Wandavision versions where the actors are allowed to do more interesting and comedic stuff and not just "we are in love and sad" all the gd time

I remember how indifferent I was about Wanda and Vision's plot in IW and now I feel so invested in them (though I'm sure they are not gonna get a happy ending), and that's because both the performance of both actor and the way their relationship has been handled here.

I can't think of any example of caring about a couple because of developments after the death of one them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phylodox posted:

I actually liked how they did things in the MCU. You got the impression that stuff was happening in-between movies. Stuff like Tony & Pepper, the friendship developing between all the Avengers, Vision & Wanda. It kind of felt like old Law & Order episodes where you'd get to kind of feel around the edges of the central characters' lives through throwaway lines, like Jack's alcoholism or Lenny's failing marriage, but they were never the center of any episode.

Yeah, I didn't really mind them glossing past relationship building. I mean I understand why people might not be invested in it because its new and they're not feeling it. But I thought Olsen really sold the tragedy of what she was being asked to do and give up in Infinity War. I find it odd that people are just now recognizing it after Vision and Darcy matter of factly spell it out.

But obviously the 4 hours we've spent with them through this series has us way more invested than the 30-60 minutes or whatever across Civil War/Infinity War.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
It's not a particularly clever observation but I am really a fan of Darcy being handcuffed to the car, thus she is an Escape Artist in the new reality that Wanda makes for the SWORD camp. Just a fun little thing.

Also they need to give Kathryn Hahn an Emmy for this episode alone. drat.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rob Walker is not a fan either.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Zil posted:

I think they didn't use Vision much in the movies is due to him being insanely overpowered for the universe and would have outshone most of everyone else that wasn't powered by an infinity stone.

In the YouTube cartoon series How It Should Have Ended, there's a bit during the Captain America: Civil War episode where it has Vision easily stop Crossbones in the opening sequence, thus negating the Sokovia Accords plot.

"Vision? Why are you here?"

"...Why wouldn't I be here?"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SirSamVimes posted:

"Well, I was born yesterday" was a great line though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lid posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy 2 post-credits scene

Or am I the only one who remembers that?
I think it was always assumed that Adam Warlock would show up in the next Guardians, but at one point they had plans for a Nova movie too. Feige talked about that being where they'd show Thanos's attack on Xandar since they didn't have time in Infinity War. I think with everything being shaken up though (and since it's not on the Phase 4 slate), they'll probably drop that idea and introduce Nova into either Guardians 3 or Captain Marvel 2 instead.

Zil posted:

I think they didn't use Vision much in the movies is due to him being insanely overpowered for the universe and would have outshone most of everyone else that wasn't powered by an infinity stone.
That was the main problem with the airport fight in Civil War. Both sides head toward this big climactic clash that was hyped up by all the trailers, and then Vision just disappears for a few minutes until they figure out something for him to do that isn't just "blast everyone and end the fight immediately".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Adus posted:

Letting a funny actor do funny things goes a long way towards making a character more likeable. I have no idea why they didn't just have vision be a loveable goof from the beginning, I blame Joss Whedon. It might not actually be his fault, but I'm still going to blame him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sticklefifer posted:

I think it was always assumed that Adam Warlock would show up in the next Guardians, but at one point they had plans for a Nova movie too. Feige talked about that being where they'd show Thanos's attack on Xandar since they didn't have time in Infinity War. I think with everything being shaken up though (and since it's not on the Phase 4 slate), they'll probably drop that idea and introduce Nova into either Guardians 3 or Captain Marvel 2 instead.

IIRC, Gunn said a few of the end credits scenes might not be followed up on in Guardians 3. Including Adam Warlock.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I like to think at the end of Star Trek Discovery season 3, Michelle Yeoh was sent to be her character in GotG 2. It actually fits and ultimately gives us a chance of at least a What If? with Marvel ans Star Trek.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

It'd be pretty stupid if the show revealed in episode 7 that there's been a magical villain pulling the strings all along, then in episode 8 revealed there'd been another, bigger, magical villain pulling that villain's strings.

Yeah, I doubt that they’re going to have that whole amazing song, and then reveal that it actually wasn’t Agatha All Along. Certainly not with just two episodes left.

Also, since Wanda is looking for her sons when we see them, I had assumed that Agatha had turned the two boys into the rabbit and the cicada.

Finally, since the entire show is about how it’s sad that Wanda cannot accept Vision’s death, it’s basically guaranteed that he’s still going to be dead once the show is over.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 21, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
impression. Given her appearance at the start of her theme song she didn't start the whole Westview event, she just jumped in to take advantage of it. I know they're not going to do it, but I would love a post series stinger suggesting thr Agnes reveal is a double fake. Wanda, in her guilt and anxiety, created a villain for her show so she could feel better about herself.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

impression. Given her appearance at the start of her theme song she didn't start the whole Westview event, she just jumped in to take advantage of it. I know they're not going to do it, but I would love a post series stinger suggesting thr Agnes reveal is a double fake. Wanda, in her guilt and anxiety, created a villain for her show so she could feel better about herself.

I thought that at first and mentioned it to a friend. He pointed out that Westview turned black and white when she did in the song

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Have to agree with the people calling this as a pseudo-double-fake. No way Wanda gets totally absolved, even if Agatha has been screwing things up and exploiting her grief for some evil agenda basically from the start. That said, I don't think that its going to be that Wanda literally created Agatha or is forcing her to be the villain as part of her latest mental collapse. The visual motif of the tree roots glowing with corrupt purple magic slithering through the earth beneath Wanda's perfect fantasy world and the fact that Agatha's apparently carved a little piece out of Wanda's universe with her own magic to make an Evil Demon Dungeon means that she's there on her own accord and is influencing things towards her own ends I think.

That said, I'm sure we're going to get some heavy duty "what have I done?" from Wanda before its all over, and it will be made 100% clear that Agatha is just reaping what she sewed all by herself. I think DrBouvenstein nailed where the chips are going to ultimately fall:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Regarding people who wanted Wanda to be the ACTUAL villain, not not someone else like Agatha as this episode tells is or at least heavily implies, I can defiantly see a line by Agatha, delivered in the most Katherine Hahn way possible, where she says something to the effect of:

"Oh Honey, I may have poked the bear, but lets be absolutely clear here...you're still the bear, k?"

If I had to call my shot, I think we're probably going to get an ultimate reveal along the lines of Wanda snapping because she learned that SWORD, the people she trusted to care for his remains in accord with his last wishes, was trying to bring Vision back as a weaponized zombie. This pushed her to a mental place where after everything she's suffered she just didn't care about anything but getting what she wanted, the real thing back to life and a happy life with him, even if it meant collateral damage to innocent people. Sisyphus finally can't push that drat boulder anymore and doesn't care who it crushes when it rolls on by.

In that scenario Wanda doesn't get off scot free, she'll absolutely be regarded as a public threat/outlaw when all's said and done even if she fixes everything, but her motivations are relatable and sympathetic enough that it'll be believable when Monica and Vision talk her into fixing this mess and she'll still be able to function as a heroic figure in the larger universe if not in the public eye. Which as a comic fan will be nice because I've loved Scarlet Witch since I was like 8 years old and their habit of inflicting tragedy on her just to make her become a villain for a while has always sucked. Something like the above would be true to the characters history but do it in a non-lovely and more-than-a-little-misogynist way that still leaves her as The Good Guy in the end.

Something like that would also fit with the path I think Phase 4 is overall taking, adding on to Spiderman being a "murderer," and the US Government not wanting Falcon to be Captain America leaving him to hang out with Super Assassin Winter Soldier. The Thunderbolts are coming my friends, count on it.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Jedit posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet but is worth speculating on:

Wanda's powers code to red and alter reality, while Vision's code to yellow and he can affect minds. Now we have Monica the astronaut with blue powers and Agnes with purple powers that manipulate other powers. Respectively they map perfectly to the Reality, Mind, Space and Power Stones. We also know Strange is coming, still with the powers related to the Time Stone. Which begs the question: where is the orange Soul Stone?

I've been thinking the same thing

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, Dennings and the actor playing monica has hips for days since their transformation and i aint complaining.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sooooo

Gunna start this post with an explanation and a definition: Revolutionary romanticism. So we all believe in myths. Sometimes those myths get broken by a variety of things. One response to to the breaking of these myths is to attempt to reconstruct them. To look back to broken origin and make up a story that attempts to replace the broken myth. This is always incoherent (because the myth to be replaced was broken, incoherent). Fascism is a revolution romanticism ( that’s what blood and soil are)

That’s fundamentally what Wanda is doing. Reconstructing a past that never really existed and that is fundamentally always false.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

sticklefifer posted:

That was the main problem with the airport fight in Civil War. Both sides head toward this big climactic clash that was hyped up by all the trailers, and then Vision just disappears for a few minutes until they figure out something for him to do that isn't just "blast everyone and end the fight immediately".

I feel like that's the eternal comic book problem in general. It's why Captain Marvel is only in Endgame for like 5 min total.

And that's without getting into the whole "this character is now as powerful as the plot demands" thing. Which they are apparently doing here as well though I expect we'll get more of an explanation.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Spite posted:

I feel like that's the eternal comic book problem in general. It's why Captain Marvel is only in Endgame for like 5 min total.

This is why if they're smart Xmen Quicksilver isn't a fakeout. The Rogue storyline solves this problem entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sanguinia posted:

This is why if they're smart Xmen Quicksilver isn't a fakeout. The Rogue storyline solves this problem entirely.

A decent Rogue is all I ask for from MCU X-men. Anything beyond that like Laura or Glob Herman is just gravy.