Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

idk where else to post this but i found this funny https://twitter.com/theepictheymer/status/1362455989702840326

backstory: https://twitter.com/fluffderg/status/1362505286720708608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

christmas boots posted:

I forget, was Sauron supposed to be the same class of being as Gandalf and Saruman and all that?

Sauron was in that same class iirc and Morgoth (his boss) was a fallen angel on a tier above that

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

christmas boots posted:

I forget, was Sauron supposed to be the same class of being as Gandalf and Saruman and all that?

Yeah they're all maiar which are the third rank of divine beings. First being the absentee God, then the gods/archangels who made the world, then the maiar. Balrogs fall in the same category.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Yeah they're all maiar which are the third rank of divine beings. First being the absentee God, then the gods/archangels who made the world, then the maiar. Balrogs fall in the same category.

hey he's not totally absentee, he threw a bunch of mountains at the Numenoreans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Control Volume posted:

If any angels are reading, this guy doesnt speak for all of us

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

see kinda proving my point here

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Gandalf and Saruman were of the same kind of divine being but there were also some others of that kind that just lived in the woods talking to squirrels or something instead of swordfighting demons and raising armies of Orcs to march upon the realms of Men.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
not of the ones who came to Middle Earth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

hey he's not totally absentee, he threw a bunch of mountains at the Numenoreans

tom bombadil is archangel-level

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

indigi posted:

not of the ones who came to Middle Earth

nah, that's radagast the brown, who came to middle earth with gandalf and helped him get away from sauraman by tipping off off the eagles to what was up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
there are also two blue ones iirc but he didn’t get around to describing whatever their deal was

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i appreciate that tom bombadil is fully tuned out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

He's basically more outside the whole thing, like a chill Cthulhu

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's basically more outside the whole thing, like a chill Cthulhu

The King In Yellow Boots

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

there are also two blue ones iirc but he didn’t get around to describing whatever their deal was

They went to rojava

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i love how liberals are so infected with west wing hypercompetent technocrats myth they think "so you're claiming this thing is both powerful and somewhat incompetent?" is some sort of reductio ad absurdum gotcha

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The King In Yellow Boots

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Breakfast All Day posted:

i love how liberals are so infected with west wing hypercompetent technocrats myth they think "so you're claiming this thing is both powerful and somewhat incompetent?" is some sort of reductio ad absurdum gotcha

yeah that myth of the competent bureaucrats behind the scenes is super commonly believed and dumb as gently caress lol
and it has nothing much to do with politics either, morons in high places is just a fact of the human condition

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it's just meritocracy garbage where they assume people get promoted based on skill and diligence, and not given cushy jobs because their parents are friends with the person who appointed/hired them or because their uncle made a big "donation"

when in reality the higher up you are the less likely you are to be competent, because rich people don't have to become good at anything or work hard at anything to be successful, and since they never worked at low levels they have no idea how things actually work

do I have a single fact to back that up? no, but like most people on this subforum I have had multiple bosses in my life and, well,

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

yeah understanding that sufficient money and power can create terrifying and often effective artifacts and institutions that are still speckled with incompetence should be the easiest thing to observe in everyday life or history, but somehow escapes them

just look at a fighter jet that flies around supersonic with crazy stealth tech and will effectively drop bombs, but also will choke its pilots and randomly reboot and btw the bombs were dropped on a guy trying to sell dates

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

it's just meritocracy garbage where they assume people get promoted based on skill and diligence, and not given cushy jobs because their parents are friends with the person who appointed/hired them or because their uncle made a big "donation"

when in reality the higher up you are the less likely you are to be competent, because rich people don't have to become good at anything or work hard at anything to be successful, and since they never worked at low levels they have no idea how things actually work

do I have a single fact to back that up? no, but like most people on this subforum I have had multiple bosses in my life and, well,

people think corruptions are one-off things and not, you know, what every capitalist lives and breathes

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bureaus are usually decent at what they do, but they're still basically humans dealing with tremendously complex systems and humans are not that good at dealing with tremendously complex systems

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

yeah understanding that sufficient money and power can create terrifying and often effective artifacts and institutions that are still speckled with incompetence should be the easiest thing to observe in everyday life or history, but somehow escapes them

just look at a fighter jet that flies around supersonic with crazy stealth tech and will effectively drop bombs, but also will choke its pilots and randomly reboot and btw the bombs were dropped on a guy trying to sell dates

you don't even have to go that far away from home. police departments and sheriff's offices around the country are filled with the dumbest guys you went to school with

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the real kicker with agencies like the CIA is that they're totally immune to outside scrutiny and do a ton of poo poo which is blatantly illegal and hidden from what internal scrutiny exists. this means that unless they actually die or gently caress up in especially spectacular ways they have no reason to ever learn anything other than how to cover poo poo up

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

libs will say it’s a contradiction then bitch about their idiot boss that still types “my emails dot yahoo” into google but can fire them at the drop of a hat.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
so does that person believe leftists are just making things up about the CIA? because you can just google that poo poo. a ton of their heinous poo poo is a matter of public record at this point.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

that's the most ham-handed "reversal" of :umberto: possible you fuckin' rubes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, the nazis themselves were an excellent example of being very powerful and absurdly incompetent, and all the more dangerous for it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I bet that person spent the last four years grappling with the fact that Trump was both very powerful and very incompetent.

ANd yet now that Biden is president instead, suddenly the idea that competence and power go together has once again become the inherent state of being and if you disagree you're a tankie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

vyelkin posted:

I bet that person spent the last four years grappling with the fact that Trump was both very powerful and very incompetent.

ANd yet now that Biden is president instead, suddenly the idea that competence and power go together has once again become the inherent state of being and if you disagree you're a tankie

Was gonna say, yeah, a big part of why Donald Trump triggered the libs was that he broke their worldview simply by being President. Liberals need a boot to lick, and they had none.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Indo_Japanese/status/1363030598063824896?s=19

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

christmas boots posted:

Elves are basically like dogs and just sort of do things arbitrarily.

best line in one of the greatest vidcons of our Age.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In that case all the workers should stop working and society will move on just as it has right

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Quoting for the hot take on dogs.

christmas boots posted:

Elves are basically like dogs and just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Are you trying to shoehorn the thread back into sex work discussion?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The plane poisoning or choking its pilot isn’t incompetence if the life of the pilot is of no more significance to the manufacturer than the wedding guests being exploded on the ground. There are plenty more where that one came from.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ah, the sales territory theory of value :downs:

edit:
i started typing a snarky dismissal @ him and just closed my tab, i don't need this evil in my life

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Weka posted:

Are you trying to shoehorn the thread back into sex work discussion?

uh, did you quote the right post?

wtf are you talking about

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Goast posted:

uh, did you quote the right post?

wtf are you talking about
Trying to sell dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU