Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

just lol at any goon that seriously believes they wouldn't die within five hours if they had to try to live in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather die than eat poutine.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
gently caress you buddy, if I wasn't constrained by the show's bullshit rules, I'd loving thrive on the Great Slave Lake.

*hitchhikes to Yellowknife*

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I was gonna say back home it's usually snakes and spiders. But at the bottom of the page was two stories about Australians being bitten on the junk by snakes and spiders so yeah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Call Your Grandma posted:

just lol at any goon that seriously believes they wouldn't die within five hours if they had to try to live in Canada.

It's true. I've been to Toronto and I barely made it back alive.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Joke’s on you, I spent a week canoeing in the boundary waters and only once thought I was going to die by moose.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The grizzly man munch tape, truly the most sought after mukbang asmr in the world.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
As this is the official gbs alone thread, I need to offer up my opinions on what I’ve seen of season 1 so far.

I totally would have quit the moment I heard a bear growl on the other side of a thin tarp in the middle of the night . That’s freaking terrifying.

Great show though. I love the guy that starts thinking mice are good eats and spends all that time making traps for them. When he first showed up on the show I thought he was going out instantly, he looks like he spent his whole life on a couch playing video games.

I felt a goon connection with him while watching his scenes. But he’s lasting way longer than I ever would have.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dear Watson posted:

As this is the official gbs alone thread, I need to offer up my opinions on what I’ve seen of season 1 so far.

I totally would have quit the moment I heard a bear growl on the other side of a thin tarp in the middle of the night . That’s freaking terrifying.

Great show though. I love the guy that starts thinking mice are good eats and spends all that time making traps for them. When he first showed up on the show I thought he was going out instantly, he looks like he spent his whole life on a couch playing video games.

I felt a goon connection with him while watching his scenes. But he’s lasting way longer than I ever would have.

He did seem like way too much of a goofball to be successful at first

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

With how much they mention that small game trapping will protein starve you it really seems like the best bet is to get to fishing and stock up as much as you can.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PostNouveau posted:

It's true. I've been to Toronto and I barely made it back alive.

I survived a trip to Winnipeg, somehow

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The grizzly man munch tape, truly the most sought after mukbang asmr in the world.
That's some rough chuckles my dude

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Look, I've played The Long Dark, I know you just have to run between houses and take all the crackers and cans of condensed milk people left in the cupboards.

George H.W. oval office posted:

With how much they mention that small game trapping will protein starve you it really seems like the best bet is to get to fishing and stock up as much as you can.
I'm partway through season 6(admiteddly skipping 1-5 because those aren't on netflix and I am lazy) and fishing seems like a crapshoot but more reliable than trying to bag game on land. People also seem to grab and eat a lot of berries off camera.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anukahn posted:

Watched Grizzly Man years ago 100% under the assumption that it was a fake documentary and that all was part of a story, including that ending. Welp. Please confirm at least Blair Witch Project was indeed play pretend?

*rushes into thread, huffing and puffing* DID SOMEONE SAY BEAR WITCH PROJECT?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Haifisch posted:

I'm partway through season 6(admiteddly skipping 1-5 because those aren't on netflix and I am lazy) and fishing seems like a crapshoot but more reliable than trying to bag game on land. People also seem to grab and eat a lot of berries off camera.
Small game just seems like upping the chances of getting badly sick without much calorie payoff. RIP donny.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I think I’d do a pretty good on alone since I’m a geology major. I have a pretty good idea which rocks to eat in order to kill myself when I see a bear

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 21, 2021

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Watching season 1 of alone, tge guy from Georgia rules.

Literally everyone else, even canoe man, is crying all the time and he's singing opera and perfectly reciting Edgar Allen Poe from memory

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I love him too

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dear Watson posted:

I think I’d do a pretty good on alone since I’m a geology major. I have a pretty good idea which rocks to eat in order to kill myself when I see a bear
You'll be fine, your pack will be so full of rocks by that point you can knock him out cold with it. Which is good because you'll be unable to run, having also stuffed your cargo pockets with rocks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does Alone have any rules against attempting to seduce the bears

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

bird with big dick posted:

Does Alone have any rules against attempting to seduce the bears

theres no rule that you cant gently caress the bear

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that’s considered molesting wildlife.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Phi230 posted:

Watching season 1 of alone, tge guy from Georgia rules.

Literally everyone else, even canoe man, is crying all the time and he's singing opera and perfectly reciting Edgar Allen Poe from memory

Yeah at first my wife and I were like "lol another redneck who can't handle not having a gun" but as the season went on, that contestant (Alan) is seriously impressive as a person. He is clearly an intelligent, learned man with a lot going on upstairs. How many people do you know who can recite a poem- any poem- line for line, stanza for stanza, with not having seen the poem in writing for minimum like a month? Not capable of remembering a poem, actually knows one in their head right now. I'd love to eat a meal with that guy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One of the big takeaways of Alone imo is that you really need to be able to entertain yourself.

I was super glad he won. He hosted one or two of the reunion shows -- I thought that was great, and I'm mad they got some doofus in a flannel shirt to take over that job

e: I googled him and he's a truther, whoops

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 21, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Edit:wow that was a weird, long delayed double post.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 21, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Id like to see a season where it's a bunch of mooks who know nothing about survival. But they have a radio that links them to a survival expert/special forces/bear grills etc who have to keep their guy surviving the longest and keep them from freaking out and calling for a trip home.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yall should rename the thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Everest: Dunning-Kruger's Alone now.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Everest: Hey Bear!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Season 8 Alone is at Everest base camp and the contestants can win the half million immediately by summiting with no oxygen or they can try and win by lasting the longest drinking melted pee snow at base camp.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Dear Watson posted:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

Id like to see a season where it's a bunch of mooks who know nothing about survival. But they have a radio that links them to a survival expert/special forces/bear grills etc who have to keep their guy surviving the longest and keep them from freaking out and calling for a trip home.

That is an amazing concept. I'd watch.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think that would get insured, like so many of the great never came to pass TV ideas like 'celebrity grease off' and 'name that appendage'

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I always wonder how real those shows with survival experts are. I'd like to see a 'celeberity' version of Alone with people like Bear Grylls and Ed stafford and see if they can actually do what they claim.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

I always wonder how real those shows with survival experts are. I'd like to see a 'celeberity' version of Alone with people like Bear Grylls and Ed stafford and see if they can actually do what they claim.

Survivorman was just him starving himself for 7 days a lot of the time and Bear Grylls is fake down to not even sleeping outside a lot of the time. Theres a slot canyon episode that's just him doing popular hikes in Zion and pretending he's in some desolate area.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I noticed on Season Six that some people really lose the luck of the position draw. Sorry you got endangered Fox problems lady, welp.

Edit: I'm surprised they're allowed to continue trapping after an endangered species pops up near the camp.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I’ve just watched season one (thanks for the peer pressure, Goons) and I feel there is so much luck based on starting location. Do you get a beach or a swamp? Do you get a nice big fish filled river, or just a brackish inlet?

The guys that did well also seemed to have no encounters with bears/cougars/wolves. Maybe they were unphased and didn't film it?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

corker2k posted:

I’ve just watched season one (thanks for the peer pressure, Goons) and I feel there is so much luck based on starting location. Do you get a beach or a swamp? Do you get a nice big fish filled river, or just a brackish inlet?

The guys that did well also seemed to have no encounters with bears/cougars/wolves. Maybe they were unphased and didn't film it?

I finished season one last night and started season two and I think is how I feel. The lottery of starting location seems to play a large part. I hope the later seasons correct for this.
No ones gonna have a good time landing right in the middle of a mama bear with two cubs territory.

Edit: to be fair it also looked like the people who had encounters with bears and cougars also didn’t know you aren’t supposed to clean your catch, cook it, and eat it all at your campsite

Lord Decimus Barnacle fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Season 3 was depressing because the last several episodes are just people complaining about starving and inching toward medical disqualification.

Yeah, I just finished that season and it seems like it was the most random of all the results because they were all hurdling toward having to be pulled out and the winner just happened to get there slower also he started a lot bigger and probably had a huge advantage because of it. Everyone that season pushed themselves really really hard.