Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Lovelyn posted:

Chocolate coconut with coconut whip and it was so, so good

I want a milkshake now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Delta-Wye posted:

I cannot for the life of me find any og source material for the PCR claim. I looked high, I looked low, and came away frustrated because it is otherwise a nice clean explanation. Have you seen something specific?

I spent a while looking for it, here's a mainly what I found. First up is what was being used before - 40ish cycles

https://twitter.com/Neacht/status/1340617468830752770 annoyingly I can't copy the direct link on my phone, but it's a letter from irish health agency saying 40-45 was standard for them in the fall

This nyt article says
"One solution would be to adjust the cycle threshold used now to decide that a patient is infected. Most tests set the limit at 40, a few at 37. This means that you are positive for the coronavirus if the test process required up to 40 cycles, or 37, to detect the virus."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

And then here's someone linking to ontario health dept last week , where it goes from 30 to 35
https://twitter.com/BenKizemchuk/status/1362019767796826119

I'm having problems finding any manufacturer #s though. It's not like anyone is forthcoming about any of this poo poo

The problem with tracking this stuff down is a ton of covid truthers thinks it proves there's a ton of fake cases. Which is absolutely a worst case (heh) scenario since it would mean the ifr is way higher and fewer people immune to the original variant

Of course there's idiots who think low thresholds are best and don't recognize the swab could have been day 1 of infection , here's an "expert" who ignores people don't have time or interest to be constantly tested

"But that problem is easily solved, Dr. Mina said: “Test them again, six hours later or 15 hours later or whatever,” he said. A rapid test would find these patients quickly, even if it were less sensitive, because their viral loads would quickly rise.a is low."

So all this is kind of a dead end where without finding the manufacturer numbers you cant say much. Plus you don't have a way to tell what the labs are actually doing.
Supposedly, florida required labs to report cycle data going back several months, but I can't find it published anywhere

In other news, two notes of interest. One is that I've seen for a while that old people on nextdoor swear that changing your time and/or time zone on your computer to tomorrow at 12:01am let you see appointments. Then my neighbors, 30 year old teachers, said that's how it worked on walgreens, and it worked so well they were able to register 8 other people this way. Seems to be total bullshit and is likely just a fluke of when they checked but that's weird as hell considering everyone else I know can't find walgreens appts, ever

The other thing of note is chicago is doing neighborhood community vaccination now, where they don't have a sign up link and you have to know people in the neighborhood like the alderman who will sign you up. Very importantly, they got rid of the tier system for this, so if you're a healthy 20 year old, go for it. The article did say they'll accept mail as proof of address, so I assume a lot of people are going to start showing up with fake leases or sending mail to friends who live in the areas. The rest of the county/city isn't allowing 64 year olds with preexisting conditions to get the shot, so this is huge for them

Oh and my local area has city run health depts not subject to the county level requirement to report doses received and administered, and are blocking foias asking for info.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

died WITH covid

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Looks like he shouldn't have just installed covid if he didn't want to die of it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mastershakeman posted:

In other news, two notes of interest. One is that I've seen for a while that old people on nextdoor swear that changing your time and/or time zone on your computer to tomorrow at 12:01am let you see appointments. Then my neighbors, 30 year old teachers, said that's how it worked on walgreens, and it worked so well they were able to register 8 other people this way. Seems to be total bullshit and is likely just a fluke of when they checked but that's weird as hell considering everyone else I know can't find walgreens appts, ever

The likeliest explanation is that it’s a coincidence, but I can absolutely believe that there are booking systems out there that are so poorly developed that this works.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

genericnick posted:

""Feds OK’d Export of Millions of N95 Masks as U.S. Workers Cried for More | naked capitalism" posted:

Bowen said he ramped up N95 production during the pandemic from 75,000 to 9.6 million per month. Lately, he said, he can’t sell them to major buyers, does not have the infrastructure to sell them to small buyers and has so many in storage that he may need to lay off workers and wind down production.

The FEMA letter references those challenges and says the waiver was granted in the “national defense interest” to ensure he keeps production running at pace. The letter was transmitted to Border Patrol officials who oversee exports 103 minutes before Joe Biden was sworn into office.

Yet even with the waiver, Bowen said, he hasn’t been able to find an overseas buyer. He said he can’t understand the contradictory information he’s getting: Front-line workers say they need more N95s, but hospitals say they don’t.
lol
wheres my loving mask joe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

the surgeon also contracted COVID from the donated lungs

holy gently caress jesus christ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

gradenko_2000 posted:

holy gently caress jesus christ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

https://twitter.com/SkinLab133/status/1363484393394876416?s=19

lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the surgeon had covid and he is passing the buck off to the lungs?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

OMG and they're not even going to think about vaccinating my toddler until all the elementary school kids are done. I knew we were going to have to isolate into 2022, but it's still sucks to see it in writing. That timeline suggests it'll be summer 2022 until my kids are vaccinated. My kid's going to miss preschool entirely.

I sincerely hope all the optimists are right and this pandemic burns itself out over the summer with all the adults vaccinated because this is bleak. Can't complain too much though as most people in developing countries aren't getting vaccinated until 2022 or later, if at all.

Obligatory reminder that none of this would be an issue if the US just locked down for a couple of months to eliminate community spread and prioritized safe school reopenings like every political leader claims they do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nocturtle posted:

OMG and they're not even going to think about vaccinating my toddler until all the elementary school kids are done. I knew we were going to have to isolate into 2022, but it's still sucks to see it in writing. That timeline suggests it'll be summer 2022 until my kids are vaccinated. My kid's going to miss preschool entirely.

I sincerely hope all the optimists are right and this pandemic burns itself out over the summer with all the adults vaccinated because this is bleak. Can't complain too much though as most people in developing countries aren't getting vaccinated until 2022 or later, if at all.

Obligatory reminder that none of this would be an issue if the US just locked down for a couple of months to eliminate community spread and prioritized safe school reopenings like every political leader claims they do.

we still don't know if the vaccines wear off after a few months. they will need to give the boomers a booster shot by 2022 so they might not have enough vaccine for your kids

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat poo poo must be really hosed if even fauci is saying this lol

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

fits my needs posted:

I think it's more about providing reasons for reopening schools. children maybe will get vaccinated in 2022, at the earliest. kids can't be out of in person learning until some nebulous point far off in the future.

Biden ran on it, so now everyone must.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fits my needs posted:

He's trying to say schools can't remain closed until the vaccine is available, because suddenly the vaccine is years away so might as well open up right now

Which is obviously false because at current refusal rates (which will definitely go up as younger people are eligible) and current distribution every kid who wants mrna can have it by labor day

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

We have a new frontrunner for "unluckiest person in the world" godamn

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nothus posted:

We have a new frontrunner for "unluckiest person in the world" godamn

They died.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

we still don't know if the vaccines wear off after a few months. they will need to give the boomers a booster shot by 2022 so they might not have enough vaccine for your kids

Haha that reminds me of a recent Fauci quote:

quote:

"It's not like making shoes," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in an interview with ProPublica. "And the reason I use that somewhat tongue-in-cheek analogy is that people say, 'Ah, you know what we should do? We should get the DPA to build another factory in a week and start making mRNA.' Well, by the time a new factory can get geared up to make the mRNA vaccine exactly according to the very, very strict guidelines and requirements of the FDA ... we already will have in our hands the 600 million doses between Moderna and Pfizer that we contracted for. It would almost be too late."
Yes God help us if we build up extra production capacity that we might need if things don't go exactly as planned. That would be just the worst.

About the only positive thing about this timeline is at the very least kids are likely to get updated versions of vaccines with better coverage for the variants.

Right?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

papa horny michael posted:

I think it's more about providing reasons for reopening schools. children maybe will get vaccinated in 2022, at the earliest. kids can't be out of in person learning until some nebulous point far off in the future.

Biden ran on it, so now everyone must.

mastershakeman posted:

He's trying to say schools can't remain closed until the vaccine is available, because suddenly the vaccine is years away so might as well open up right now

Which is obviously false because at current refusal rates (which will definitely go up as younger people are eligible) and current distribution every kid who wants mrna can have it by labor day

but....wont everyone just get covid and hella more people will just die once things get bad again? or am i missing something

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

fits my needs posted:

but....wont everyone just get covid and hella more people will just die once things get bad again? or am i missing something

150,000 people in the u.s. have died since January. We are unfazed, and continue to look only toward the best possible outcomes. :downsgun:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fits my needs posted:

Why would he care? With most of the people at risk of hospitalization offerednvaccines + the medical staff somewhat vaccinated , the only important thing about covid has been solved - making sure well off people have an icu bed and doctors/nurses when they need them

Covid is over for them, they won, get back to work everybody. Even if the new variants finally take hold and infect/reinfect everyone who isn't vaccinated, not a problem

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

Haha that reminds me of a recent Fauci quote:

Yes God help us if we build up extra production capacity that we might need if things don't go exactly as planned. That would be just the worst.

About the only positive thing about this timeline is at the very least kids are likely to get updated versions of vaccines with better coverage for the variants.

Right?

There's also several billion other people who could use the doses!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

150,000 people in the u.s. have died since January. We are unfazed, and continue to look only toward the best possible outcomes. :downsgun:

what i love best is ppl who talk about the “positive” possibility that they can take off their mask soon, neglecting to mention that current infection rates are still baking in at least a thousand deaths a day. the real disaster going on is things are Not Normal.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

daily # of vaccines administered in the US dropped significantly this past week wtf

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

brugroffil posted:

what? there are 329 million people in the world.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Slippery Nipple posted:

daily # of vaccines administered in the US dropped significantly this past week wtf

over 70% of the u.s. was covered in snow, and we are not a functional country in optimal conditions.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The timeline is a shift from previous comments"

HE'S loving LYING

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

over 70% of the u.s. was covered in snow, and we are not a functional country in optimal conditions.

yeah that's a good point

my weekly covid test was nulled because my boogers got stuck in the midwest and the samples deemed invalid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

it's insane because the US refuses to build production in excess of what they'd need (and lol if anything goes wrong that STILL won't be enough), and then when China sends vaccine doses to other countries because it's managed to squash the pandemic without them they're accused of engaging in VACCINE DIPLOMACY

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's insane because the US refuses to build production in excess of what they'd need (and lol if anything goes wrong that STILL won't be enough), and then when China sends vaccine doses to other countries because it's managed to squash the pandemic without them they're accused of engaging in VACCINE DIPLOMACY

imagining Biden refusing to nullify American's student loans by equating to the evil act of China's large and constant loan forgiveness for entire African countries.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1363503003806945282?s=21

*bangs pots*

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Slippery Nipple posted:

Every time I refresh this page the # months goes up.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What site is that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

and the pandemic will never be over until the entire world is vaccinated. its not like america is going to close the borders, can't keep up an imperial empire and be isolationist at the same time

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Every time I refresh this page the # months goes up.

Using the snow day rate to project forward is probably overly conservative.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I have to turn off my Google photos notifications. it's popping up "remember 1 year ago?" and is currently on our last family vacation

from here on out it's going to be a bunch of rictus grin photos about how we're having so much fun together not ever leaving the house

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slippery Nipple posted:

yeah that's a good point

my weekly covid test was nulled because my boogers got stuck in the midwest and the samples deemed invalid

Last February my mom had a conversation with a man who soon afterwards died of covid, she developed pneumonia but her first sample got lost and the second one came back negative. So who knows.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mastershakeman posted:

what's the site? if it is working like that it would be trivial to search the source, find getTime(), and be famous for a day

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

brugroffil posted:

What site is that

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Well the virus mutates like once every other month in the US so hopefully it doesn't mutate into being contagious and very lethal to children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

lmao I scrolled down.