Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I wonder if they're slow rolling pediatric vaccines to make sure no one tries to wait for those before reopening schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

good

this timeline was obvious after they said no approval for kids until this fall

we weren't going to be able to instantly vaccinate 70 million kids while still vaccinating adults unless we built up a huge stock pile by that point (lol)

with any luck this will convince districts/states to continue to fund virtual options through 2022.

also just lol at people talking about herd immunity by this summer when 20% of people won't even be emergency approved for the jab in, best case according to fauci, sept

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SchnorkIes posted:

I wonder if they're slow rolling pediatric vaccines to make sure no one tries to wait for those before reopening schools

I'm hoping it's so it will be a real approval and no will have qualms about making them mandatory to attend in person schools

lmao sorry

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Trying to call every pharmacy in 20 mile radius to where my elderly parents live in suburban Buffalo. I'm getting tired pharmacists saying they're not getting any doses until March.

Rollout is absolutely hosed in Western New York

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

good

this timeline was obvious after they said no approval for kids until this fall

we weren't going to be able to instantly vaccinate 70 million kids while still vaccinating adults unless we built up a huge stock pile by that point (lol)

with any luck this will convince districts/states to continue to fund virtual options through 2022.

also just lol at people talking about herd immunity by this summer when 20% of people won't even be emergency approved for the jab in, best case according to fauci, sept

Other than teachers, Ohio has no plans in the near future to even vaccinate anyone under the age of 65

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fosborb posted:

lol they didn’t even do this when there wasn’t a vaccine

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

Haha that reminds me of a recent Fauci quote:

Yes God help us if we build up extra production capacity that we might need if things don't go exactly as planned. That would be just the worst.

About the only positive thing about this timeline is at the very least kids are likely to get updated versions of vaccines with better coverage for the variants.

Right?

i’m sure if we needed millions of shoes urgently they would also claim that we can’t do anything because they’re “not socks” and are too complex

the regulatory capture at the top of the usa is insane, especially that it’s clearly ideological reasons holding them back and nothing else

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Yes God help us if we build up extra production capacity that we might need if things don't go exactly as planned. That would be just the worst.

About the only positive thing about this timeline is at the very least kids are likely to get updated versions of vaccines with better coverage for the variants.

Right?

The timeline just got pushed back so now it makes sense to build a factory, right? Right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

what's the site? if it is working like that it would be trivial to search the source, find getTime(), and be famous for a day

Just walgreens

These neighbors are the nicest people in the world (one is canadian) and don't come off as a haha tricked you, it's just such a weird to think. I read that hy-vee let's you see the next day's allotment of appointments if you do time stuff but you error out if you try to use them prior to midnight which is also laughable albeit more believable

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lets try to remember better days

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Today’s the 510k day https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid posted:

The timeline just got pushed back so now it makes sense to build a factory, right? Right?

this will be the two step from here on out

just barely short enough horizon that we Can’t Do Anything to speed it up, just barely long enough horizon that covid never gets fixed

zeno's paradoxing our way to extinction

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PerniciousKnid posted:

we're building vaccine factories in Canada, cuz we are tired of putting up with the USAs bullshit

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol: we're going to have a million before the end of the year

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the US graphs for reported covid cases v covid deaths overlaid over each other. As you can see the cases line reaches a really sharp peak in early January and then drops like a rock but the deaths line had a much smoother peak but started dropping a lot faster this past week. I guess these differences might indicate a build up of testing during the holiday period and a sudden drop in testing in the new year.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The two lines on the UK graphs line up a lot more closer apart from the few weeks in late Nov/early Dec when they had their brief pre-Xmas weakass lockdown. The fact that the cases line dips way below the deaths line seems to indicate that they were missing a whole bunch of cases, especially since the two lines sync up again pretty much immediately afterwards.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The UK reported cases line has dropped well below their "second wave" peak but is slowing down its rate of descent and looks like it might level out and hit a plateau soon, although it's too early to call it. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this will be the two step from here on out

just barely short enough horizon that we Can’t Do Anything to speed it up, just barely long enough horizon that covid never gets fixed

zeno's paradoxing our way to extinction

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
god drat it. a friend quoted that atlantic article to me last night about how maybe South Dakota has already hit herd immunity

south Dakota's 7 day case total has stalled for two weeks at 100+ cases/7 days/100,000 pop, which is above the CDCs most recent guidelines for requiring all virtual school until cases can go down

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the US graphs for reported covid cases v covid deaths overlaid over each other. As you can see the cases line reaches a really sharp peak in early January and then drops like a rock but the deaths line had a much smoother peak but started dropping a lot faster this past week. I guess these differences might indicate a build up of testing during the holiday period and a sudden drop in testing in the new year.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I wouldn't trust death counts less than 2 weeks out. a lot of states will even shade those weeks/days grey on their internal dashboards to indicate incomplete results

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Other than teachers, Ohio has no plans in the near future to even vaccinate anyone under the age of 65

Yah lmao I keep checking and it's not even proposed as a phase much less a date. Dewine and friends suck rear end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

I wouldn't trust death counts less than 2 weeks out. a lot of states will even shade those weeks/days grey on their internal dashboards to indicate incomplete results

i wouldnt trust any numbers. its all massaged bullshit to make people think its safe to open schools so we can preserve capitalism for a few months

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

i wouldnt trust any numbers. its all massaged bullshit to make people think its safe to open schools so we can preserve capitalism for a few months

Yeah the austerity rapist is fulfilling his campaign promises, they're probably not even taking people to hospitals if they know it'd mess up the stats

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sylink posted:

Yah lmao I keep checking and it's not even proposed as a phase much less a date. Dewine and friends suck rear end.

The only reason teachers are even on the list is teachers got strong armed into returning to in person school on March first.

I do like how he's extremely mad about a school backing out of the deal, because it means other schools could do it too, and collapse his house of openerup cards

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

fosborb posted:

I have to turn off my Google photos notifications. it's popping up "remember 1 year ago?" and is currently on our last family vacation

from here on out it's going to be a bunch of rictus grin photos about how we're having so much fun together not ever leaving the house

Haha yep. Even just riding around NYC in the subways is a faraway dream.

Although the past year has in fact been very pleasant for our family, leaving aside the significant risk of contracting a dangerous disease with potential lifelong side-effects. We're spending a lot more time together and our kids have become very close, compared to our toddler having to spend close to 50 hours a week at the daycare just before the pandemic hit. The remote school has even worked fairly well for us, although guessing that option goes away as schools fully reopen and face to bloodshed. Doing the isolation for another 1.5 years wouldn't be such a problem were it not for the constant risk of our unvaccinated kids getting infected and the low-level stress that goes along with that.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Nocturtle posted:

Haha yep. Even just riding around NYC in the subways is a faraway dream.

Although the past year has in fact been very pleasant for our family, leaving aside the significant risk of contracting a dangerous disease with potential lifelong side-effects. We're spending a lot more time together and our kids have become very close, compared to our toddler having to spend close to 50 hours a week at the daycare just before the pandemic hit. The remote school has even worked fairly well for us, although guessing that option goes away as schools fully reopen and face to bloodshed. Doing the isolation for another 1.5 years wouldn't be such a problem were it not for the constant risk of our unvaccinated kids getting infected and the low-level stress that goes along with that.

oh for sure we're closer together and actually having a good time. watched a bunch of giant kites bring flown over a frozen lake yesterday

but those first few weeks when we were all sharing photos between family like "day 3 of lockdown, look at this mess lol!"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im looking forward to people discovering their early pandemic sourdough starters still living in the back of the fridge

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
PCR = Pussy Control (r u) Ready

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Do deaths that occur in rehab facilities that patients are sent to after discharge from Covid hospitalizations count in the official death numbers?

just asking for my father in law, who they are pushing to send to rehab after two weeks in the hospital even though he is still too weak to hold a 30 second phone conversation.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao that loving starter

every morning

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ngl I'm kinda terrified of them certifying it safe for kids before they jab me. Pretty sure they'd get bumped ahead of me because I don't need a babysitter (well, theoretically)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Nocturtle posted:

Right?

It's just too bad mRNA isn't an exciting and likely broadly applicable tech and those factories would be useless

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My mom was able to get her second dose last week which was cancelled due to snow because she just showed up to where she got the first one and said as much and they gave it to her. A couple days ago she called me from the basement of a free estate sale because someone had died suddenly and their kids didn't want to deal with it, lots of good stuff I heard though

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

The only reason teachers are even on the list is teachers got strong armed into returning to in person school on March first.

I do like how he's extremely mad about a school backing out of the deal, because it means other schools could do it too, and collapse his house of openerup cards

Ohio govt is incredibly stupid I'm tempted to make a thread about our dumb state

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sylink posted:

Ohio govt is incredibly stupid I'm tempted to make a thread about our dumb state

I gotta get out of here

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
ah, they finally admitted covid 19 killed cloris leachman

I love how making everything covid 19 a matter of personal responsibility means no one wants to admit they have it. super cool public policy win there

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao

quote:

When asked if there was something she wished she hadn't done during the pandemic, Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds replied, "I would not have shut schools down. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done that."

She said, "Every Governor, or at least the ones I work with, wouldn't have ended up shutting them (schools) down, if they knew then what we know know."

:theroni:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1363545291845218304?s=20

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1363534670311411714?s=19

Seems good. I also wonder if at least part of the drop in cases is because the two populations getting tested the most, health care workers and nursing home residents, in large part have had both shots by now.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
historic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1363534670311411714?s=19

Seems good. I also wonder if at least part of the drop in cases is because the two populations getting tested the most, health care workers and nursing home residents, in large part have had both shots by now.

At this point we genuinely are going to see a reduction in deaths because so many vulnerable people have been vaccinated, which is great news. There's still a long way to go before it's safe, the vaccine rollout has been botched, but the MRNA vaccines themselves are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

At this point we genuinely are going to see a reduction in deaths because so many vulnerable people have been killed already