Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

WORLD – Episode 25 – Better Grab an Umbrella
Last update, we finished off the Tower of Law Eternal and the crystal dragons finished off Vepahl. We are still in the post game, on the law path. With that said, lets get right to this.

Where in the WORLD is Don Quixote

We are currently a little over 1/3rd of the way done with the San Bronsa post game dungeon. We’ve seen some cool maps, so far in San Bronsa, but nothing like what’s coming next for us.

This is the first floor of the Floating Ruins, and there are definitely ruins that are floating. You’ll see some similar tilesets and layouts from the Hanging Gardens early on, but things go off the rails (in a good way) soon.

The isometric view of this map doesn’t really sell how much open space there is on this map.

There are just chasms of space, but there is a bit of thought into the layout on the developer’s part. Those few spots in between offer a real quick way to close the distance, provided you are willing to risk losing your units. If it wasn’t just possible to grind away all the challenge, this map is a prime example of how thoughtful the new content is. The other option, which should be standard operating procedure for all of this dungeon is to bring as many fliers as you can. After that, blink walk is great, but blinkwalk has a limit to the height it can traverse, and is also blocked by rampart auras.

Is there ever any question that Deneb will be nuking people, places, or things before anyone else?

This map takes a while to complete, even when over-leveled. When the developers want you to really struggle on a map in the floating ruins, they throw everything at you. Not only in the form of more enemies than normal, (sometimes up to 20?!?) but also in their abilities, composition, and terrain. It’s possible to cheese these maps, but you’re not going to do it without knowing what’s coming up first. Your first time through these maps is a very painful and fun experience.

To go back a few screenshots: don’t worry about that gold octopus. He’s not important at all.

The first level of the Floating Ruins asks “can you deal with wide open spaces and gaps?” The second floor asks you, “can you deal with enemies at different heights?”

And also can you deal with pits. Lots and lots of pits.

That dragon at the bottom of the stairs has a high level of rampart aura, of course. So that’s a natural choke point for those pesky gremlins to just rain annoyance and death on your team. Obviously you want ninja and fliers to just bypass that area if possible. But the lizards, orcs, and other up on the higher levels are no slouches, so you can’t just send squishy units either.

Oh and because I took a crappy set of screenshots, there’s a hidden octopus waiting on you too. He’s real annoying. Thanks Matsuno-san!

Similar to the other multi-dungeons in this game, you don’t need to do the levels in numerical order. So we’re not skipping floors, this is just the order I completed them in.

Wait, what?

This stage is one of the stages that holds one of the 12 Heavenly Generals. Being that I had a Heaven’s Fork in my inventory, the general shows up whether you want it to or not. With how hard it is to craft those things, I wasn’t going to throw away all the ones in my inventory, just so that we could see the original level as intended, so we’re just going to see this stage with the general in it. Just pretend this is the way it’s supposed to be.

Vayu is no slouch. She has access to pretty much every strong water spell you can think of.

Oh, and also every strong divine spell you can think of. If I remember right, she can potentially be the first time a player ever sees Heavenly Judge II cast, because the scroll drops on a higher level of the floating ruins. It is not a pleasant thing to be on the receiving end of. We don’t want that. Nope.

Her(?) skill set it pretty amazing too. Deathproof is always a sign that you are fighting a stupidly strong character in this game.

She also shows up with ravens, who I *think* we covered back in the Palace of the Dead, but that was also 3 years ago at this point so your guess is as good as mine.

I’m not kidding here when I say Vayu will mess your world up. Poor Ozma here is uh… not gonna have a good day.

In the end, and after a crap ton of CHARIOT manipulation, we get the unique spear Pavana. :toot:

I guess being deathproof doesn’t protect from having your face bashed in. :smug: Next level!

This is another very vertical fight with lots of stair climbing. There is another new enemy too.

Meet the damask golem. Now with 100% more damasc. These golems aren’t recruitable, but the description is off. You can very much hurt them with physical attacks, but by golly does it take forever. Bring magic, apply to face of damask golem, profit.

Just in case you were curious about these floating stones, now you know.

Any hoo, this fight is a whole slog and a half. There’s a ton of enemies, those damasc golems soak up damage like no one’s business, and the rest of the enemies are positioned in a way to make your life miserable. If you don’t have fliers or overpowered characters, this stage is probably one of the top three hardest floors in the floating ruins. You will reload this stage multiple times in frustration.

Floor 7 is a cool little map. I love it because it’s so compact horizontally, but there’s so much to cover vertically. It’s kind of like floor 3 in the Palace of the dead where it’s just a perfect knife fight level.

From the moment you start this map, all of your units are in danger. It might actually be impossible to turtle on this stage. There’s almost a 25 unit difference in elevation from the lowest part of this map, to the highest, and let me tell you, those fliers are all too happy to show you why you are dumb for bringing a bunch of terror knights to this stage.

The faded ghost of Gildas approves of our slaughter. Next map.

The game starts crapping out heavenly generals in the floating ruins. Tithin showed one in the Pirate’s graveyard, there’s a few in the Phorampa Wildwood, a few in the Palace of the Dead, and a few here in the floating ruins. All of them, will make you have a bad day if you don’t respect them.

Rakshas here has the Bakasura which is a unique 1 handed katana.

As is expected, she has a ton of high-level ninja magic which will lead to pain and suffering. On the topic of ninja magic, we’re lucky that there were some game design decisions that kept ninja magic from being too OP immediately because if you plan it out, by the time you have a ninja at San Bronsa, you can do comical amounts of damage.

Anyways, back to Rakshas. She has all the overpowered skills that we have on our deathbots that make these fights in our favor. It’s not a lot of fun when the enemy is on the same footing.

You know things are not going to plan when Deneb and our divine knight are petrified.

However, we know by now that “deathproof” is not what it’s cracked up to be so we finish her off and take her loot.

Iuria though isn’t quite done, so she has to use her one of her finishing moves. This particular one is called Torrential Rhapsody, and it deals crushing water damage. You get this particular finisher when you reach instruments level 6.

Or we could say that Iuria…

She makes it rain on them foes.

I’m so, so, sorry.

Floating ruins 3? Sure right? 1, 2, 7, 5, we learned to count in America drat it.

So really, how cool is this map? If I had to pick one map to really nail the aesthetic of ruined tower, this one does it. The eerie back ground devoid of detail really works better than anywhere in the game here in the floating ruins because it gives everything this real eerie kinda vibe. It’s like you know you are somewhere unnatural and yet We need to get all of the good loot and drops so we ain’t leavin’

Of all the floating ruins maps, I think this is the most uninspired one. This is very similar to a map that’s used multiple times in the PotD, and a couple times in the main campaign. It’s no real reason to talk about it more than I already have.

Level nine here is a beautiful one. All of that open space in the middle, with the water and rough terrain on the right side of the map really makes it hard to fight. But then also too, those phoenixes can and will come crashing down on your party using those few little tiles in the middle to get to your spawn area if you try to let the enemies come to you.

You know how I said it’s a few maps that will make you go crazy if you don’t have fliers? This is another one. That giant thin staircase is a big trap for the other enemies to pepper you with spells and arrows. And you have to really take that route because of the range of arrows and because that golem down at the bottom will make you have a bad day if you ignore him. You’ve got sheer cliffs to climb if you want the high ground, and the pits next to the stairs mean that crits knock your characters into the pits for insta-deaths.

If you are patient and don’t mind farming this map, it’s possible to obtain a copy of the spell Heavenly Judge which is the light nuke spell. Is it required to beat the content? Absolutely not. Are you completely wasting hours of your life to chase it if you’re this deep into the game? Absolutely!

Next Update
We’ve got five levels left? Do I need to break up these last five levels? Probably not, but I’m going to combine the last of San Bronsa with a quick trip back to the Palace of the Dead before we wrap things up.

Hint: That gold octopus was actually important :V

waah fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Hell yeah it’s back!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm looking forward to seeing the end of San Bronsa and PotD because Tactics Ogre is still fascinating even after all this time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Naramyth posted:

Hell yeah it’s back!

Indeed! Nice to see you back, waah.

By the way, what does Deathproof actually do? I'd also like to know what is up with the golden octopus, but I assume that you are saving that.

By the way, a typo:

quote:

It might actually be impossible to turtling on this stage

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

Indeed! Nice to see you back, waah.

By the way, what does Deathproof actually do? I'd also like to know what is up with the golden octopus, but I assume that you are saving that.

I thought we covered it during the regular game. Lans Tartaros had it and several of the late game bosses.

Deathproof pretty much makes you immune to almost every status effect in the game.

quote:

By the way, a typo:

I knew it was too good to be true. Re-writing sentences will be the death of me.

Evil Fluffy posted:

On one hand I really want this re-re-released on Switch. On the other hand, holy gently caress the postgame grind is utterly insane.

From a pure game play PoV there's only like 10-12 fights we haven't seen this point, max.

About 6 of them are the other heavenly generals.

But whooo boy this ending movie is just a crap ton of screenshots.

waah fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 21, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
On one hand I really want this re-re-released on Switch. On the other hand, holy gently caress the postgame grind is utterly insane.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

Same. I want to see this game on the Switch with no graphical or story changes whatever. A translation would be nice, but I most want to see fixes to the tedious poo poo, some modest rebalancing and reducing the post-game grind. I'm fine with there being tons of content in the post-game, but too much is redundant and RNG-based. I have one firm principle in game design: if the player is Save scumming, it's bad design. I feel that very keenly at the moment because I am playing Wizardry 6, and I am using a lot of outside programmes to mitigate that.

waah posted:

I thought we covered it during the regular game. Lans Tartaros had it and several of the late game bosses.

Deathproof pretty much makes you immune to almost every status effect in the game.

I am sure that you did cover that, but it's been a while and I surely forgot.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How much postgame content in in this game?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

alot.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Great update boss.

I'm actually getting the itch to play again, so I might play OV at this point.

A substantial number of battles. About 2/3 of the games active content comes after the story.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Hooray it's back!

Some point in the near future, I need to go back and reread this LP from the start. It's getting hard to keep track of everything.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

tithin posted:

Great update boss.

I'm actually getting the itch to play again, so I might play OV at this point.

A substantial number of battles. About 2/3 of the games active content comes after the story.

Have you tried the demo for Project Triangle Strategy? That game is definitely taking cues from Tactics Ogre.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prowler posted:

Have you tried the demo for Project Triangle Strategy? That game is definitely taking cues from Tactics Ogre.

Not yet, I have a switch but it's monopolized by my kid quite a bit.

Have you played it? tell me how great it is.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

tithin posted:

Not yet, I have a switch but it's monopolized by my kid quite a bit.

Have you played it? tell me how great it is.

I uhhh.

You see how much bullshit I am willing to put up with in video games.

I played one battle so far and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to continue the demo.

Depends on how you view it.

It's probably about 15% of the game if you count story battles and cutscenes.

If you consider unique maps:

It's about 50ish truly unique maps in the CODA:

About 30 of them are San Bronsa
About 12 are at the bottom of the PotD.

I'm sure there's a map or two outside of those that I am not thinking of.

A lot of the post game content uses existing assets. For example almost all of the content in CODA 3 and 4 are reused from earlier maps.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

I uhhh.

You see how much bullshit I am willing to put up with in video games.

I played one battle so far and I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to continue the demo.

Oh gently caress... that is definitely a bad sign because you clearly have a high nonsense threshold. I just downloaded the demo, but please tell us about your experience. I would never laugh at a train-wreck in reality, but in this case I would because nothing is hurt but our hopes for more good tactical RPGs.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

Oh gently caress... that is definitely a bad sign because you clearly have a high nonsense threshold. I just downloaded the demo, but please tell us about your experience. I would never laugh at a train-wreck in reality, but in this case I would because nothing is hurt but our hopes for more good tactical RPGs.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Octopath to begin with. It was a good, not great game, in my opinion.

Battle system was good enough but I need more from my party interacting, and I needed the dialogue to be more than the plot dumps it ended up having.

So far Triangle Strategy seems to be in line to be Octopath Tactics. Which puts it in line to be a beautiful game, that has its moments. It also puts it in line for excessive dialogue and battles that feel like a chore after a while.

There is a great game here if the devs can strip away the excess, but so far the feedback that's being given, especially on other forums and discords seem to be people want more of the excess.

To put it in terms of Tactics Ogre, imagine if the very first battle of a Tactics Ogre demo was a real slog of a battle. Something real uninteresting without extra context like one of the more bland palace of the dead maps that just take way too long to complete. Couple that with characters who take 2 paragraphs to say what could have been said in 2 sentences and, I guess you see my complaints.

In all honesty, it's probably not as bad as it seems, or as I'm making it out to be, but they really took an awful map/fight to be the first impression of the game.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they got the TO / FFT guy in to help with the story tbqh

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

waah posted:

a quick trip back to the Palace of the Dead

There is never anything quick about the PotD.

Anyway, glad for another update!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of Octopath to begin with. It was a good, not great game, in my opinion.

Battle system was good enough but I need more from my party interacting, and I needed the dialogue to be more than the plot dumps it ended up having.

So far Triangle Strategy seems to be in line to be Octopath Tactics. Which puts it in line to be a beautiful game, that has its moments. It also puts it in line for excessive dialogue and battles that feel like a chore after a while.

There is a great game here if the devs can strip away the excess, but so far the feedback that's being given, especially on other forums and discords seem to be people want more of the excess.

To put it in terms of Tactics Ogre, imagine if the very first battle of a Tactics Ogre demo was a real slog of a battle. Something real uninteresting without extra context like one of the more bland palace of the dead maps that just take way too long to complete. Couple that with characters who take 2 paragraphs to say what could have been said in 2 sentences and, I guess you see my complaints.

In all honesty, it's probably not as bad as it seems, or as I'm making it out to be, but they really took an awful map/fight to be the first impression of the game.

Oh, I see... it's a tactical RPG set in the universe of Octopath Traveler, which was a 'traditional' RPG. I did not know that.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
As a fan of TO I played through the Triangle Strategy demo and found it quite fun to play through. The world building is a little 16-bit JRPGish, and the pacing is a little wonky, but the battles are very fun, promises to be pretty in-depth in terms of terrain control.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ace Transmuter posted:

As a fan of TO I played through the Triangle Strategy demo and found it quite fun to play through. The world building is a little 16-bit JRPGish, and the pacing is a little wonky, but the battles are very fun, promises to be pretty in-depth in terms of terrain control.

Yeah, this is basically my impression as well. It's looking very promising. The small side story bits need to be integrated, and there is too much talking that I don't care about. To be fair, it's hard to care when you're thrown into the middle of a story with no attachment to the characters, world, or your party/build/team, and progress that doesn't matter. I put down the Bravely Default 2 demo for that reason.

Octopath has amazing combat mechanics, and this battle system looks promisingly deep, so I'm sure I'll love playing the game, even if the story is meh.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Not every day you see a game that goes, "Oh, does baby think they know how to play the video game?"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Just checking in, keep the thread out of the archives etc. I will mention that One Vision is at version .973, so presumably it's close to completion. If anyone has any experience with it, I am all ears.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Still with us, waah?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully as I do want to see this crazy ride to its end.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hunt11 posted:

Hopefully as I do want to see this crazy ride to its end.

Me either. I'm becoming worried now because normally waah responds promptly that he's working on the next update.

If this ended now and went to the archives it would be a disappointment, but if it ended now, didn't go to the archives and was basically lost among the many, many SA threads it would be a bloody shame. This LP reminded me how well-written this game is and that it gets far too little credit while FFT probably gets too much. I do like FFT quite a bit, but it's coasted a lot on its branding.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Well whatever the ending, let us cling together until we hear more.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

JustJeff88 posted:

Still with us, waah?

You don't get rid of me that easy. I'm gonna get an update out by the end of the month.

Only reason you haven't heard from me as much lately is a new job which keeps me actually busy as opposed to trying to look busy (reading the forums).

Also, those of you who have already seen the ending to the CODA, whew. There are some things to unpack and like a billion lines of dialogue. It is a good ending (tm).

waah fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 23, 2021

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Congrats on the new job!!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

waah posted:

You don't get rid of me that easy. I'm gonna get an update out by the end of the month.

Only reason you haven't heard from me as much lately is a new job which keeps me actually busy as opposed to trying to look busy (reading the forums).

Also, those of you who have already seen the ending to the CODA, whew. There are some things to unpack and like a billion lines of dialogue. It is a good ending (tm).

Glad to see you back, waah.

I was thinking lately about what games actually had stories that I remembered and touched me. I'm rather sad to say this, but the only ones I can really think of are Planescape: Torment, LUCT, and Final Fantasy IV. The last one doesn't hold up at all today (the first do) in my opinion, but it was impressive for the mid- to late-90s. Keep in mind that FF2 and 3 for the SNES never came out in Europe and we did not see them until the PS1 compilations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Solumin posted:

Congrats on the new job!!

:yeah:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

WORLD – Episode 26 – I Wish I Knew How to Quit You

Let’s get this going!

Tactics Ogre!

Floating Ruins!

One of the last few updates!
:black101:

Where are we?
Currently we’re finishing out the San Bronsa post game ruins in the CODA. These ruins are much less of a grind that the Palace of the dead, but on a map for map basis, these maps are far more challenging.

Just a reminder if you’re reading this is the far future, San Bronsa is like the Palace of the Dead in that you aren’t going to always go in order as far as the floors go.

And uh… I might have forgotten to take a picture at the start of the battle but this map is one of the less interesting ones. The pit in the middle is cool looking, but ultimately does little to affect the flow of battle.

Deneb does Deneb things.

Poignant melody is something I’m not sure if I’ve touched on before yet or not. Ethereal Visions and Divine Knights have this ability and it has the ability to charm multiple units. It can make you have a very bad day, similar to when those annoying banshees charm your dudes.

We’re very lucky this is a miss on Vyce or else things go pear shaped very fast. The eagle-eyed viewers out there notice that Vyce is missing a heart. At some point the AI got thrown off into one of these pits, but I stopped caring about the hearts.

Each of the units have a unique death quote when they run out of hearts, but I just can’t bring myself go working on killing off everyone to get a line or two of text. I am crazy, but I have my limits.

I don’t have a better way to show off what’s happening on this map since it is shaped very weird in regards to our screenshot format.

You can get Tornado 4 from this floor as well.

There isn’t much for this level. I think this is where the devs just got map fatigue.

This map right here - it will end you. See that real thin strip of land that heads to the right-hand side of the map? You will likely lose the race to get there before the Golem slightly above the word “interrupt” gets there with his stupidly high level of rampart aura. There’s nothing here but a slog, but it’s a good slog. There are options but you better have some fliers. It’s possible to have slow or low mobility units get stuck which then prevents your other units from navigating to the fight. Overall, even though it’s tough as nails, it’s a very well-designed map from both the terrain and the units placed on it.

:swoon: Indeed Deneb. Indeed.

Forced Femata is the level 8 finisher for Instrument users. There is no element type but there’s one thing that it has over most of the other finishers. Forced Femata is also one of the few attacks in the game that can cause the status Stop. So, it’s really effin good.

And stopped is exactly what it sounds like, the unit is done sir done until the status fades.

The Resonant Score is one of the high-level songstress scores, but it’s not worth it. It causes misstep on a large group of enemies. It’s not exactly worth it.

One of your prizes for beating this level can be the second tier Wendigo summon. The second level summons can hit up to 7 times per cast. I don’t need to tell you how broken that is. It also costs 90 MP to cast, but by this point, if you aren’t packing 99 Magic leaves (or better), then you’re doing it wrong.

This is another really well-designed maps. You’re going to be peppered by those Basilisks on your approach, and that Scyliia just barely off screen is going to end up being a massive road block for your units by the time you get up that way. Both approaches have really thin pathways that of course are just perfect to have our dudes thrown off of into a bottomless pit.

You can get one of the really powerful second tier draconic magic spells from this level. For my money, I think the summons are better than the draconic magics simply because you need wyrm Gems to cast draconic magic, so in the extended maps, you run the risk of not having wyrm gems. You never run that risk with the summon magic.

There it is the last level in the San Bronsa Ruins. You ready to see what this is all about?

I have to admit, this is the biggest disappointment to me in the entire game. There’s nothing at the top of this level but a cool looking map that looks like it should have been an amazing boss fight. As of writing this, no one I know of has figured out any super-secret requirement for this fight. Nor has anyone I’ve seen online know what was intended for this fight before it got removed on the cutting room floor.

I do know this:

“A beautiful statue carved in the likeness of Phelana, Goddess of Love and Justice”

I could be wrong, but I don’t know if there is any other mention of her on the maps in game, but based on the Vepahl storyline that seems unresolved even though she’s most definitely dead, I imagine that whatever entity she and her Tigers of Burnham pissed off was supposed to be present in the later stages of San Bronsa. Also moments like these make it hard to truly track the theology of Ogre Battle, because there are so many different spellings and lack of standardization when it comes to deities.

Instead, we get this -

And this isn’t a troll, you get nothing for beating San Bronsa, other than a title if you care about kind of thing. From a story point of view, there’s nothing.

What’s left to do?

Go back to the Palace of the Dead of course.

No, I’m not kidding or trolling. :shepicide:

Of course, in typical Tactics Ogre fashion, just going back to the PoTD without being extremely lucky or having a very good FAQ in front of you isn’t good enough.

This involves finding the 4 wind god weapons that have been a staple of hidden weapons in almost every game in the Ogre Saga. The Euros, Boreas, Notos, and Zephyros are all weapons that presumably do their best dragon ball impression and scatter to the winds once someone gets ahold of them or something. In each game there are very hidden, almost to a maddening level, and in every game, they give you something really good for collecting them and then finishing some challenge. In some games it’s as simple as talking to someone. In the PSP remake well…

Remember when I said let’s not worry about this Rukh in San Bronsa Floating Ruins Level 1? You know the guy you can just barely see right above the e in the word limestone in the follow screenshot

Well, he can drop the Zephyros as a random drop.

:goonsay: Well at least he’s always there, it’s just a matter of getting him to drop an extremely rare weapon, correct?

: AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA Did you forget what game we’re playing?
Yep, not only is this a randomized drop, but the enemy is randomized if he’ll even show up. Same for exact deal for these next 3 characters.

The gryphon in this exact location on floor 64 of the Palace of the Dead will drop the Boreas.

The final two drops are on floor 99 of the Palace of the Dead.

This guy will drop the Euros.

There’s a dreadnought (palette swapped terror knight) on this stage as well that drops the final weapon, the Notos, but I don’t seem to have a screenshot of her. We’re going to imagine you see her, but if you’re following along, it will be a female terror knight on elevation 18.

Gather all four weapons, and go back to the Altar of the Beyond (Floor 100) of the Palace of the Dead.

Meet one of the super bosses of LUCT – Blackmoor. He only shows up if you have all 4 wind god weapons. If you have 3, it’s just a group of Lich Kings and Queens, which are formidable opponents in their own rights.

His HP is no joke, even for our AI death squad because Blackmoor is *always* at level 50 whenever you show up to challenge him. This can be one of the 5 to 7 most difficult battles in the game if you don’t have sufficient levels.
Note the flavor text is one of the few times the game explicitly calls out the Temple of Ashmedai, stating that the PoTD is the dark elemental temple.

Blackmoor is flanked by these units, lich queens and kings:

The text for a king just shows king instead of queen.

This fight goes about as well as you’d expect. It’s a slog to the point where I even have to step in a few times to make sure things go well due to the narrow approach and the way units clump up.

Those lich kings and queens can both do summon darkness. I don’t need to tell you how unfair this already is, or how much I hate summon darkness.

Giant dragons in the way, a seemingly unending wave of undead and creatures of the dark, it is very easy to lose this battle badly.

But finally, Blackmoor falls (on his face) and we are victorious. However, notice that the start of the fight doesn’t say defeat Blackmoor as a winning condition. This fight goes on until you’re completely destroyed every single thing or person that’s not a member of your party.

Go get the bag for us Lans, let’s see what we get?

:swoon:
We’ve talked about Heaven’s forks before; you need them to get the Divine Generals to show up. The Gran Grimoire is a unique book with divine elemental attack that is equipped by magic users. The Firecrest though, that’s the real reason why you go through all of this effort.
But wait, there’s more –

Finishing out the fight, each one of the Lich Kings and Queens can drop a piece of the Ogre Set – Ogre Blade, Ogre Helm, Ogre Shield, and Ogre Armor. They are as OP as you imagine them to be. As well as the Ogre Blade itself, opening up the game so that you can just do things that would normally be impossible to do. I’ll show you in a mini update, separate from this one.

That, my fellow goon and Goonettes, is the last loving time you will ever see another screenshot of me playing a level from the Palace of the Dead in this LP.

We did it! YAY!

Next episode - Mini update with Body Swap and then on to the best mission in the entire game. The final bit of story content is awesome

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

It's taken forever but we're really at the tail end of this thing now. We have our very special battle with a ton of backstory to explain in the context of Knight of Lodis and the universe in general, as well as very lengthy ending.

While vague status updates and promises are not very cool, I have secured one last final major surprise for this LP, and I plan on having the two line up which gives me a definitely date that I have to finish this thing by.

With that said, I can't think of a better time or place for you to throw out any questions or things you'd want to have said that might one day reach the attention of the TO team sooooooo

Also I found out that there is a art of Tactics Ogre book which is where i pulled the image of the gods from in this update and my god is it beautiful. One image in particular makes it into our next real update. It's the first time *I've* ever seen this one piece of artwork without being obscured. Once I realized what it was, my jaw dropped. It's an incredibly powerful piece of artwork.

Good things are still possible my friends.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Good to see you back, waah!

Looking back at the PotD -- which I'm glad to be done with, honestly -- it seems like they threw everything they could possibly think of into this one area. Does the in-game lore support the sheer narrative weight this one dungeon seems to have? The other temples didn't seem quite as important.

waah posted:

With that said, I can't think of a better time or place for you to throw out any questions or things you'd want to have said that might one day reach the attention of the TO team sooooooo

:stare:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Solumin posted:

Good to see you back, waah!

Looking back at the PotD -- which I'm glad to be done with, honestly -- it seems like they threw everything they could possibly think of into this one area. Does the in-game lore support the sheer narrative weight this one dungeon seems to have? The other temples didn't seem quite as important.

That's a great question. To paraphrase one of our regulars - everything leads back to Rashidi.

To add to their wisdom, anything that doesn't lead back to Rashidi, leads back to necromancy, which then leads back to Rashidi.

Albeleo was one of Rashidis students. He decided to stay team Rashidi even when it was obvious that Rashidi was no longer in anyway a hero and was becoming the big bad.

You beat Albeleo once as the main character from MoTB. In game, once you beat him, and you go back to the same stage the residents tell you that no one can find Albeleo's body.

If you go to the secret stage of MoTB, you find out that Albeleo has reappeared in a floating island in the sky. You beat him again, but he doesn't stay dead.

But it's unclear when the actual time frame of this is, because everyone calls you Lexar, which is not the name of the main character from MoTB, but a legendary knight of lore.

And also Albeleo is in search for dragons and dragon magic to defeat the rebels.

And also Albeleo joins your party in LUCT as Rudlum, when you find him in the Palace of the Dead.

You know the Rudlum who is in search for Draconic magic and never seems to actually have any story content despite being a fully unique character?

The other draw of the palace of the dead is twofold. One is the allure of power over an army of the undead. Like who wouldn't want their own army of skeletons to terrify the living eff out of your enemies.

The second half of that is my own personal take on the situation: you have a an island that is swimming in death and despair. Judging by the story, you'd have to look hard to find people who didn't lose loved ones throughout the bloody conflict. The power to bring back loved ones is a strong motivation, especially for someone who is pushed past the breaking point.

Using necromancy to bring back loved ones only for it to backfire is a common theme in the OB saga.

Lastly, there's also that whole second Chaos Gate that is at the bottom of the PoTD, and what I suspect was supposed to be at the top of San Bronsa, especially based on the shape of the SB battlefield compared to the other chaos gates, but that content was cut for unknown reasons.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I haven't played this version, and I know they added a hell of a lot of new gameplay quirks here, but I'm seriously wondering if this version of Blackmoor has anything as cheap and ridiculous as Nova+ like he did in the OG.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

You absolute madman

Two questions off the top of my head right now -

1/ what would it take to see a direct sequel to this game? (i imagine they get this question a lot)
2/ Did its sales meet the level of expectations that the psp remake had?

e: another question

3/ Was there any specific content that they wanted to, or had plans to add but couldn't either due to budget or time constraints?

tithin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 20, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It lives!

waah posted:

Why is Tactics Ogre not ported to Switch/Mobile yet even if you don't streamline the crafting tedium (or a few other things)? :retrogames: Hell, just give us the PSX version with some bug fixes (and maybe the WORLD system) since LUCT's grind makes Lineage 2 look like a Diablo speedrun.

We need more Ogre Battle games in general though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I got no real questions but just some well wishes and a solid appreciation for their work.

So maybe just "Thank you for making Tactics Ogre!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
waah, you might have already done this, but can you/did you make a concise guide to the end game? One of my few complaints about this game is how convoluted the post-game content is, and I was wondering if there is/could be a guide that spells out to completionist chumps like me how to do and see everything.

To steal a quote from another Briish video game enthusiast, '[this game's post-game content] is about as twisted and impenetrable as a granite octopus'. Which is also probably a monster somewhere.

waah posted:

(not an emptyquote)