Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Surprised to see Steppenwolf show up in MK X as the big bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Beamed posted:

this movie will be as garbage as all the Snyder movies. Fortunately, it will be a different kind of garbage than the MCU and Star Wars movies.

Only Rocksteady has the courage to state what we all know: The Joker is not a person or a Jesus, the Joker is a blood virus that gives people clown makeup and makes them find crime funny. No movie studio or director is brave enough to say this yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I understand the ideas behind some of the changes they made, but why in the world would Whedon have Batman chase a guy with a sack of money to lure out a parademon which explodes into an image of three motherboxes, instead of Diana finding information about Darkseid in an ancient temple?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I often wonder if there were people in the 40s, 50s, and 60s who lost their minds over Tarzan movies ruining cinema.

Universal crossed over their biggest properties with the Monsters and Abbot and Costello and I imagine somebody somewhere was deeply upset to see Dracula chasing those too around.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sentinel Red posted:

Hey now, you forgot to include that he reunites the series most adorable, loved up power couple for one of the greatest love stories ever told.

Ah, yes. Interesting retcon there.

So originally as the story went, Shao Kahn invaded Sindel's world, killed her king, forced her to be his queen and she eventually killed herself. Then Kahn resurrected her years later as part of one of his plots and brainwashed her. She ended up overcoming the brainwashing and became a boring member of the good guys for the rest of the original timeline.

Then someone at NetherRealm Studios realized, "Wait, maybe we shouldn't have most of her story revolve around being a suicidal rape victim."

And then they retconned it so that there was never any actual brainwashing. Sindel killed her king for Shao Kahn. They were totally into each other. Her suicide was a murder made to look like she killed herself. Then in MK11, after being reunited, they act like the most romantic mass murderers. "I would shatter a million skulls just to watch you smile!"

Now there are MK fans all pissed about that change, claiming they ruined the character. They would rather see Sindel hugging her daughter than kneeing her right in the face. Go figure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I understand the ideas behind some of the changes they made, but why in the world would Whedon have Batman chase a guy with a sack of money to lure out a parademon which explodes into an image of three motherboxes, instead of Diana finding information about Darkseid in an ancient temple?

a studio executive, who requested anonymity. “The robber on the rooftop—so goofy and awful. The Russian family—so useless and pointless. Everyone knew it. It was so awkward because nobody wanted to admit what a piece of poo poo it was.”

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's actually kinda powerfully funny how worthless Taven and Daegon are to MK canon. They fell in with the non-Kano Black Dragon and basically the entire Red Dragon immediately. Though I suppose being fair there are very few post MK4 characters that fans particularly rave about. Frost.

Gavok posted:

Going back a few pages for this one...

I knew I wasn't crazy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Had to look up who those two even were.

Also :lol:

Ed Boon had not yet decided on a name for Daegon prior to E3 2006, as he was codenamed "Doug".

Should have kept that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wait a minute, why is star wars chat forbidden?

AngryBooch posted:

Only Rocksteady has the courage to state what we all know: The Joker is not a person or a Jesus, the Joker is a blood virus that gives people clown makeup and makes them find crime funny. No movie studio or director is brave enough to say this yet.

I find it hilarious that the whole Batman who laughs crossover event can probably be traced back to the joker virus from the Arkham series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if Batman is the real Jesus Joker?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't believe i'm trying to avoid reading spoiler posts for loving mortal kombat of all things but that's where i am atm

e: did i say last night that i wish that these games had name captions when new characters show up? because i do

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

i can't believe i'm trying to avoid reading spoiler posts for loving mortal kombat of all things but that's where i am atm

e: did i say last night that i wish that these games had name captions when new characters show up? because i do

Tell that to Goro's snapped neck!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, in most of the Mortal Kombat cinematics every character's appearance will immediately be proceeded by someone shouting "[Character Name]! What are you doing here?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

McCloud posted:

Wait a minute, why is star wars chat forbidden?

For the same reason Snyder Chat will be come April. Because it always leads to pain.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

it would be a legitimate choice if before every fight scene the MK Narrator came in and said something to the effect of "Sonya VERSUS Sub-Zero"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Not all his fans are insane, I just want to live and work in a Hollywood where theres room for visions like Snyders and I support him hard because someday Id love to make a movie like Man of Steel or BvS. Thats it.

Just put a camcorder in your toilet, flip it on and at least one movie with as much creative merit and amazing writing as “Save Maaaaaarthaaaaa WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME” should plop out by the end of the day. Sooner if you eat your fiber.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vintersorg posted:

Had to look up who those two even were.

Also :lol:

Ed Boon had not yet decided on a name for Daegon prior to E3 2006, as he was codenamed "Doug".

Should have kept that.

"Now only Mokap, Ermac and Noob Saibot stand between the ancient, eldritch demi-god Doug and multiversal domination."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just put a camcorder in your toilet, flip it on and at least one movie with as much creative merit and amazing writing as “Save Maaaaaarthaaaaa WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME” should plop out by the end of the day. Sooner if you eat your fiber.

This is some deeply unproductive stuff. If you really don't want to talk about Snyder's movies, then don't, but I don't see the point of being needlessly reductive and antagonistic like this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sentinel Red posted:

"Now only Mokap, Ermac and Noob Saibot stand between the ancient, eldritch demi-god Doug and multiversal domination."

Are those real Mortal Kombat names?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

X-O posted:

Don't be silly, there's no one called Doug in Mortal Kombat. Now *that* would be ridiculous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

X-O posted:

Yeah, originally joke characters but now part of the serious lore. :lol:

Mokap was just a motion capture person and actually not really part of things.

Ermac was just a rumour turned real.

"he character originated due to rumors over a diagnostics menu listing that displayed the text ERMACS and were followed by claims of an alleged glitch in the first game, which were perpetuated by video game magazine Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM). Due to the growing interest, he was added by the series developers to the roster of playable characters in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, as a red palette swap of Scorpion."

And Noob Saibot is the creators names spelled backwards.

"Noob Saibot's name came from the last names of the creators of the Mortal Kombat series spelled backwards Ed Boon (Noob) and John Tobias (Saibot)."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Phylodox posted:

I mean, in most of the Mortal Kombat cinematics every character's appearance will immediately be proceeded by someone shouting "[Character Name]! What are you doing here?"

well okay like, for example, in this jax chapter he's going to the netherrealm to get quan chi, and kenshi Who also appears early on in x like i'm just supposed to know who he is) is with him along with a bunch of faceless army mooks. and then sheena...i think that's her name??..just pops up on screen and starts talking to the both of them like she's been around the whole time. who is she? does she work for earthrealm forces? is she from netherrealm and is just helping out? i don't know who this person is or why she is in this scene

i suppose that's my fault for not having played any game since ultimate 3 on the snes or whatever but coming in fresh it's hard to keep up with all these characters who just show up sometimes. maybe i really should read that comic

^^^^ did they ever introduce a character named toasty

site fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 22, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

X-O posted:

For the same reason Snyder Chat will be come April. Because it always leads to pain.

One week aint enough time to talk about justice league

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I feel like one week is long enough for the kind of discourse we're likely to see about it, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The thread is triggered to close automatically if the word Snyder is posted too many times in a fixed amount of time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some would say it's too much. But the 18th-31st isn't one week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The thread is triggered to close automatically if the word Snyder is posted too many times in a fixed amount of time.

SGDQ Snyder%

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When the movie is out there will actually be stuff to talk about in it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Justice League The Joker Cut will be more new hours of big budget tentpole superhero movie than we've gotten in over a year.

Think about that.

The last Marvel movies were 2019, and Wonder Woman 2020 is 1) lol and 2) only 2 hours

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 22, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

When the movie is out there will actually be stuff to talk about in it

And two threads in CD in which to talk about it, no?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Frankly, I think we should just ban Snyder talk right now. I mean, we already know how that's going to go, why bother letting it keep popping up between now and April?

I kinda assumed when I first saw this title change that that's what had happened, honestly. It's the perfect title to announce the new rule.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The United States posted:

Justice League The Joker Cut will be more new hours of big budget tentpole superhero movie than we've gotten in over a year.

Think about that.

this reminded me to look up when falcon and winter soldier starts and lol that the first episode airs the day after snyder cut.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Rhymenoserous posted:

I wonder why the discourse around this topic is such a nightmare and people get really defensive.

Sorry we have different tastes and life goals but I sincerely hope your dreams arent ever met with such childish and aggressive vitriol. Good poop joke I guess?

Have a good one BSS Movie Thread, I remember now why I only lurk here. My opinions arent welcome.

Thanks for the MK "movie" links though, quite fun so far!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

catlord posted:

Frankly, I think we should just ban Snyder talk right now. I mean, we already know how that's going to go, why bother letting it keep popping up between now and April?

I kinda assumed when I first saw this title change that that's what had happened, honestly. It's the perfect title to announce the new rule.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyPvUIt_YWg

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

well okay like, for example, in this jax chapter he's going to the netherrealm to get quan chi, and kenshi Who also appears early on in x like i'm just supposed to know who he is) is with him along with a bunch of faceless army mooks. and then sheena...i think that's her name??..just pops up on screen and starts talking to the both of them like she's been around the whole time. who is she? does she work for earthrealm forces? is she from netherrealm and is just helping out? i don't know who this person is or why she is in this scene

i suppose that's my fault for not having played any game since ultimate 3 on the snes or whatever but coming in fresh it's hard to keep up with all these characters who just show up sometimes. maybe i really should read that comic

^^^^ did they ever introduce a character named toasty

Nope that's the first time Sareena appears in the new canon at all and they just kind of expect you to roll with it.

Also there was never a Toasty but there was a guy on fire named Blaze.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I wonder why the discourse around this topic is such a nightmare and people get really defensive.

Sorry we have different tastes and life goals but I sincerely hope your dreams arent ever met with such childish and aggressive vitriol. Good poop joke I guess?

Have a good one BSS Movie Thread, I remember now why I only lurk here. My opinions arent welcome.

not everybody - and I'll tell you this - not everyone is awful. but I do get where you're coming from on this, very much so

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1363875649258196994?s=20

C'mon Scooby Doo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Only 2 things stop you from posting. Yourself and the mods. You don't want to be a coward like them do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Clearly it's going to be Space Cabbie.