Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A twitter thread reminded me of this great article:

https://twitter.com/daniel_swensen/status/1217272784159526914?s=19

https://www.wired.com/2008/06/alttext-0618/

It's missing the best one though:

quote:

Posted: 2:17 a.m. by LordOrcus I have read the new Better Joy Cookbook and I am devastated to my very core. Their macaroni and cheese recipe, the very macaroni and cheese I've been making since I was in college, has been ravaged and disfigured and left bleeding on the page. Where once it contained only cheddar cheese, now the recipe calls for a mix of cheddar and Colby. It may contain macaroni, and it may contain cheese, but it is not macaroni and cheese. This is a slap in the face and a knife in the gut. You have lost me, Better Joy Cookbook. I would bid you goodbye, but I wish you nothing but the pain and rage you have delivered unto me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Infinite oregano" has been in my lexicon for like a decade now, truly blessed phrase

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Infinite Oregano" was someone's username around here but I don't know if they're still around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Needs an entry for "So my friends keep telling me that the recipe on page 53 is literally poison, and while yes there have been some deaths, a good cook knows how to work around that."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fugu, huh

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Then of course the Monte Cookbook added a new dimension to this.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

This might be useful to some people here: I just published a new typeface called Dicier! It's got icons for dice, dominoes, playing cards, and more, will get updates for even more stuff over time, and is currently PWYW (though all payments will go towards upgrading my font design app so I can actually carry on editing the font):

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1363978510788923392

It's released under CC BY 4.0, a creative commons license that basically means if you want to use it for any personal or commercial projects (using it in games etc., bundling it with stuff, editing the font) you're free to do so as long as you give appropriate credit (and follow the other, not very restrictive conditions about recording changes made and not implying that I endorse you/your work).

A neat thing about the way it works is that you type in text (e.g. 1, HEADS, 7, PLUS, ACE_SPADES) and it converts that to the icons, while keeping the text underneath. That makes it a bit more accessible than dingbat typefaces—both easier to use for writers and easier to read for people using text-to-speech (TTS) software (though .pdf still ain't a great format for TTS).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

This is super neat and should help me out a lot when working on making play aids and the like for my games! I'll be looking forward to seeing more about this later.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Has anyone posted a review some where of pondsmith's Witcher ttrpg? It's dense as hell and I want an overview but it doesn't look like there's a f&f review, and obviously it's not big enough to get its own thread.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thinking on games that are out there already, and on Vincent Baker's choice to take down Dogs in the Vineyard because of his resentment of the Western genre. Are there even any Westerns on market (weird west or otherwise) that are overtly anti-imperialist (and, generally, against the "Manifest Destiny", "untouched land for civilize white settlers" bullshit that contaminates westerns played straight)? Offhand:

• Deadlands ruled itself out decades ago and hasn't dug itself out of that hole.
  • Boot Hill... is pretty much just the standard fare. No deconstructions or reconstructions here.
  • Have yet to play A Fistful of Darkness.
  • Through the Breach is really tied to its setting, and while it does touch on adjacent themes it does so through a very specific lens that doesn't translate to other settings well.
  • lmao Aces and Eights, bring that targeting thing out over my dead body, content aside
  • I playtested Tom Parkinson-Morgan's GUN, and while it was pretty lacking in setting when I ran my test, it was closest I've seen out of anything thus far - too bad I didn't care for the system.
There's always new and unfamiliar systems, so I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Additionally, if it doesn't exist (or even if it does) - how would you make it happen as a game designer or as a GM?
Got reminded of my crash-and-burn projects for this and for cyberpunk stuff, so... yeah, channeling the desire for this to exist into finding where it already does.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Thinking on games that are out there already, and on Vincent Baker's choice to take down Dogs in the Vineyard because of his resentment of the Western genre. Are there even any Westerns on market (weird west or otherwise) that are overtly anti-imperialist (and, generally, against the "Manifest Destiny", "untouched land for civilize white settlers" bullshit that contaminates westerns played straight)?

It's not out yet, but Haunted West by Chris Spivey (the guy who did the absolutely phenomenal "Cthulhu-in-the-Harlem-Renaissance" Harlem Unbound) is pretty much exactly this.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does Dogs in the Vineyard have its mechanics isolated from the setting material, particularly surrounding its escalation ladder? I never played the game, but if it’s pulled I wonder if there are other games or the core components which feature it (or if the pulling out a gun thing is very central to its narrative and setting details as well).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

aldantefax posted:

Does Dogs in the Vineyard have its mechanics isolated from the setting material, particularly surrounding its escalation ladder? I never played the game, but if it’s pulled I wonder if there are other games or the core components which feature it (or if the pulling out a gun thing is very central to its narrative and setting details as well).

The Bakers are in playtesting for a Star-Wars-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off game using a modified version of DitV, so you'll get to see that plus the inevitable dozen or so games it inspires some time in the next year or so.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
One of my favorite extremely rpg.net moments was some guy thinking about using DitV for running a game where everyone is a Gestapo officer.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kemper Boyd posted:

One of my favorite extremely rpg.net moments was some guy thinking about using DitV for running a game where everyone is a Gestapo officer.
Sometimes when I read a "no, you can't play fascists, and if you're a fascist you can gently caress off" section in a new RPG I think - for the briefest of moments - that it's perhaps a little unnecessary.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Is there a Mothership RPG thread? Zine Quest 3 has me so pumped to start some one-shots.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

Baker did authorize DOGS, which is a settingless generic version, to get released on DTRPG.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's missing the best one though:
Yeah, and that isn't even a slight exaggeration of the way people wrote about the way 4e treated their precious rust monster/gnome/harlot table.

djfooboo posted:

Is there a Mothership RPG thread? Zine Quest 3 has me so pumped to start some one-shots.
You might try the Old School thread, it's been discussed there. (I like it.)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

aldantefax posted:

DitV's mechanics are more setting portable than AW's.

The thing about guns coming out in DitV is that it's the level of escalation where actually for real dying right now becomes a very serious possibility, even for the PCs who are generally in a very dominant position, even if they win. So for any setting where there's a form of escalation that has real graveness to it, it works. Obviously this makes sense for old school samurai style stuff (chanbara), because Westerns and chanbara are so interlinked, but I did a Conan-esque DitV where magic occupied the same position as guns (didn't even need to change the basic stats, since it's Acuity+Will which feels like what you'd use for magic anyway). Could do Star Wars where light-side powers are traits and dark-side powers are Acuity+Will, or go harder on the 'biotics are really dangerous' than actual Mass Effect did by making that the highest level of escalation.

My hazy memory is that the gestapo one did get completed (seriously you can make a DitV hack in minutes) and that 'paperwork' was the highest escalation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

im not a critical role guy but i need to post this here

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Sometimes when I read a "no, you can't play fascists, and if you're a fascist you can gently caress off" section in a new RPG I think - for the briefest of moments - that it's perhaps a little unnecessary.

By Night Studios recently reused a photo that had folks I know, and so I grabbed it to tease/show them. One of the first comments zuck's algorithms showed me was some garbage complaining about how LARP used to be fun, but it's been ruined by PC police. He was mad because a thousand year old vampire shouldn't be up to date on SJW etiquette, butnhas to be now. Sorry you got banned from the local LARP scene because your ventrue insisted on using the N-word 'for realism,' bro!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Staking an ancient racist vampire sounds like the worst #iHunt contract ever.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Coolness Averted posted:

By Night Studios recently reused a photo that had folks I know, and so I grabbed it to tease/show them. One of the first comments zuck's algorithms showed me was some garbage complaining about how LARP used to be fun, but it's been ruined by PC police. He was mad because a thousand year old vampire shouldn't be up to date on SJW etiquette, butnhas to be now. Sorry you got banned from the local LARP scene because your ventrue insisted on using the N-word 'for realism,' bro!

it's always so dumb because it's always "this 1000 year old person holds view points that are maybe 100 years old but 10 times as strongly" and lacks engagement with just how loving foreign the past is, history of concepts about race and gender and sexuality are far more complicated than "lenient present vs strict past"!

21st century reactionaries always make history so much lamer than the reality

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Do any of you follow any bespoke dicemakers? I'm looking for folks to interview and feature in a dice-centric TikTok account. Especially looking for braille dicemakers or other accessibility tools!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I ran a Fallout mini-campaign campaign for a handful of my favorite open-table players. I'd had the idea in my head for maybe 5 years, but the heavy content lift of building a whole city filled with factions and quests and so on put me off. Then the New Vegas Randomizer came out, which renewed my interest in the game, which got me to revisit the old design document I wrote up.

The players were Exiles from Vault 24, kicked out into the wasteland outside Two Sun for bad behavior, or just bad luck. They got a conversation with a veteran "wasteland scout" who had been booted from the vault three times already, but always bought his way back in by finding something the Overseer wanted. Then they got the boot. Up to them whether they wanted to find something in the city to get them readmitted to the vault, or explore until they found something else to do.

They found something else to do.

Highlights include:
  • Every player building an exiled scientist who had no idea how to survive or fight, counting on their high skill gain from INT to carry them after the first session
  • The Exiles doing a job for the Legion to get some cool loot, then feeling guilty about it and resolving not to do it again.
  • The Exiles using their jacked Science and Repair skills to make jury rigged combat identification panels and juke the IFF on the infrared targeting systems of some sentry bots, letting them sneak into the Pima Air and Space Museum and befriend the super mutant IT guy who lived there.
  • The Exiles getting a totally bitchin' ACAV to drive around the wasteland in, then almost totaling it when they narrowly missed a gila dragon sleeping in the road.
  • The Exiles retrieving weapons of mass destruction for a guy they'd known for a day, because it seemed like a fun quest.
  • The Exiles nuking the city and killing everyone because it was a quest objective, then feeling guilty about it and resolving not to do it again.
Father Elijah was right. Pip Boys were a mistake.

It was a great three sessions. A couple of the players asked me to write up the sandbox I used, so they could run it for people in the future.

If you're interested, you can read the play reports, the rules we used, the map and the GM sandbox here.

Bonus image from 2015, back when I first had this idea:

I think I lowballed his weight a little.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 23, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh no, my friend group star trek adventures interest check has suddenly jumped from "not quite enough" to "far too many".

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tulip posted:

21st century reactionaries always make history so much lamer than the reality

Not reactionaries but as an example of things in the past being more wild than you think

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Splicer posted:

Oh no, my friend group star trek adventures interest check has suddenly jumped from "not quite enough" to "far too many".

Don't worry by session 2 or 3 it will be back down to "not quite enough"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

EthanSteele posted:

Not reactionaries but as an example of things in the past being more wild than you think

I loving love this.

The one that I like to bring up is much older - in ancient Sumeria, the kings had a vested interest in preventing land consolidation b/c of how the taxes and military were structured. So to slow down the rate at which finance speculators could use predatory lending to take people's farms as collateral, there were laws passed that a farm could only be transferred from father to son.

So, new contracts were developed where part of the collateral was that the debtor would adopt the creditor as their son. The laws were also loose enough that frequently meant that farmers would adopt "sons" who were much older than them, and "sons" of genders other than men.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

My favorite "the past is a foreign land" trivia is that Athenians used to carry their coins in their mouths while going to market.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

EthanSteele posted:

Wait. How do you pay rent if not in eels.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Are there any decent sites/discords/etc out there for finding PBP games? Really jonesing to play in something but as much as I love SomethingAwful the new game scene here is dead and I'm already GM'ing two games so I'm not interested in running a third. It doesn't seem too hard to find groups for live-gaming online but for PBP/Async play I've been having no luck tracking anything down. :(

Primarily interested in the various PBTAs but would also take FATE or any of WoD/Scion/Exalted.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tulip posted:

I loving love this.

It came up as an answer to the age old question of "how do you not ruin the economy by making infinite gold in Ars Magica?" and the answer is "you make eels???" and because of the way the game works on medieval ideas and eels are a type of "Worm" and thus are generated spontaneously from muddy pools it's really easy to get thousands and thousands of eels, way easier and less expensive than making permanent gold! All you need is a muddy pool!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. How do you pay rent if not in eels.

Scarlet trousers, obviously.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mistaya posted:

Are there any decent sites/discords/etc out there for finding PBP games? Really jonesing to play in something but as much as I love SomethingAwful the new game scene here is dead and I'm already GM'ing two games so I'm not interested in running a third. It doesn't seem too hard to find groups for live-gaming online but for PBP/Async play I've been having no luck tracking anything down. :(

Primarily interested in the various PBTAs but would also take FATE or any of WoD/Scion/Exalted.

rpol.net? that site is still trucking right?

EthanSteele posted:

It came up as an answer to the age old question of "how do you not ruin the economy by making infinite gold in Ars Magica?"

Acquaintance of mine: If you make too much gold in Ars you end up known as the scholar who is full of gold and is guarded by just a few dozen grogs so bandits and robber knights (if not the local feudal lord!!!) will just swarm your covenant.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 24, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mellonbread posted:

Bonus image from 2015, back when I first had this idea:

I think I lowballed his weight a little.

"a little" is an understatement.

this motherfucker'd be skinnier than Hakeem Olajuwon

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Plutonis posted:

rpol.net? that site is still trucking right?

Acquaintance of mine: If you make too much gold in Ars you end up known as the scholar who is full of gold and is guarded by just a few dozen grogs so bandits and robber knights (if not the local feudal lord!!!) will just swarm your covenant.

Also spending enough gold to make a difference means that whoever you sell it to becomes filthy rich and creates huge problems for their lord and for the economy in general, which definitely gets the Quaesitores down on you for meddling in the affairs of mundanes.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Are there any RPG systems which focus on resource mechanics regarding wilderness survival other than, uh, the old Wilderness Survival splat book for D&D?

e: prominently, rather, than as a footnote (or other interesting mechanics of a similar nature regarding resource acquisition and depletion)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

aldantefax posted:

Are there any RPG systems which focus on resource mechanics regarding wilderness survival other than, uh, the old Wilderness Survival splat book for D&D?

e: prominently, rather, than as a footnote (or other interesting mechanics of a similar nature regarding resource acquisition and depletion)

Forbidden Lands?

UVG has some stuff about stopping to forage if your caravan runs out of food, but it's not super detailed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

aldantefax posted:

How detailed vs abstracted are you looking to go? Band of Blades has a downtime resource management minigame, but like most Blades stuff it's pretty abstracted and narrative driven.
Like do you want 'survival days' and 'check gear slots as you use them' or tracking torches, rope, and provisions in pounds/down to individual items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

aldantefax posted:

Torchbearer is the big one here (well, it's slightly more focused on dungeon survival than wilderness survival, but the principles generally apply). PATROL also has this in spades. I believe Outbreak: Undead is also supposed to feature survival heavily, but I've never played or read it, so that's just based on its DTRPG description.